PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Beefy
04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience with windows Vista? I'm interested in finding out if it has software similar to Apple's "Garage Band" recording studio.

I'm torn between a ibook and an HP. All I really care about is the recording software, any advice?

uscitizen
04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
No experience here, I am looking for a notebook and wondering if I can still get XP on it since I don't want Vista.

Cancel7
04-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Does anyone have any experience with windows Vista? I'm interested in finding out if it has software similar to Apple's "Garage Band" recording studio.

I'm torn between a ibook and an HP. All I really care about is the recording software, any advice?

Ornot will know. Ask him when he comes online. He knows about everything having to do with computers and software and different programs.

Beefy
04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Ornot will know. Ask him when he comes online. He knows about everything having to do with computers and software and different programs.

Dudicle, I will do that. Thanks Thirsty!

Augustine
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I will be upgrading my desktop computer in May, including an upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate. I'll be sticking to XP on my other computers, though.

Damocles
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I will never, ever, purchase a windows product until SR2. It is foolish to do so. And I am Microsoft Certified.

Augustine
04-16-2007, 08:11 PM
I will never, ever, purchase a windows product until SR2. It is foolish to do so. And I am Microsoft Certified.

It is foolish NOT to have one computer running it, when you MUST know the interface (for work-related reasons).

Damocles
04-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't have to purchase a copy, Brent. I get versions before they release it. I won't purchase and run this stuff on any of my personal equipment before SR2. It is simply foolish to do so. I recommend you wait until SR2 comes out before spending your money or simply leave your computer open to all the mess that comes along with the Gold release of any Microsoft product.

Agnosticus_Caesar
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
If you're willing to deal with the learning curve, Open Source Software is the way to go.

uscitizen
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
My contract employer does not yet support or promote Vista.

Agnosticus_Caesar
04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Dealing with the initial release of Vista is no better than dealing with Linux...and Linux is free.

Augustine
04-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't have to purchase a copy, Brent. I get versions before they release it. I won't purchase and run this stuff on any of my personal equipment before SR2. It is simply foolish to do so. I recommend you wait until SR2 comes out before spending your money or simply leave your computer open to all the mess that comes along with the Gold release of any Microsoft product.

I am getting a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (Full Version), an Athlon 64x2 4400 chip, and a new motherboard for only $350. If you were me, would you pass that up?

Agnosticus_Caesar
04-16-2007, 08:53 PM
The primary reason for paying Microsoft for an OS is ease of use. Until it has been roughed in, Vista is not worth bothering with.

Augustine
04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
If you're willing to deal with the learning curve, Open Source Software is the way to go.

For once, it appears we agree on something.

Which distribution are you running?

Damocles
04-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I am getting a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (Full Version), an Athlon 64x2 4400 chip, and a new motherboard for only $350. If you were me, would you pass that up?
I would probably buy it if I were you, but I would not load it until SR2 came out, then I'd load and update it immediately.

uscitizen
04-16-2007, 09:00 PM

Yep, don't need Vista or the hardware upgrade. My PC's do all they need to do quite adequately the way they are equipped.

Damocles
04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
The primary reason for paying Microsoft for an OS is ease of use. Until it has been roughed in, Vista is not worth bothering with.
That and the security mess you have to deal with on their first releases make it very cost ineffective if used in a business sense. It makes it very dangerous if used in a personal sense as a main computer.

I will say again, load it, it is a good system, you'll like it, but WAIT until SR2 has come out if you don't want security problems.

Beefy
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Okay then. I'll go with the Mac.

Damocles
04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
The OSX works fantastic and has a Unix base so a real mouse can be used. The problem with the MAC is the expense of getting compatible software. Word for the MAC is more expensive than it is for Microsoft OS...

However, OSX and XP work great together, Vista even better. It is getting very close to basically being seamless with either product.

I like MAC, and it will serve you well if you are getting one in the near future.

FUCK THE POLICE
04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Hell, I'm getting a new computer. I'm not going to buy XP for 100, and THEN pay 200 dollars for Vista, just so I can avoid using what amounts to the beta version.

FUCK THE POLICE
04-16-2007, 09:17 PM
You act as if it would blow up in your face if you dared try, Damo. Just install security software, it's simple enough. And download security updates as soon as they come out.

FUCK THE POLICE
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Mac is overpriced for what they give you...

Just follow my advice and get Vista right now. It's worth the fact that your new computer will be able to run anything you want to, and a Mac can run basically shit nothing. Also, you're looking at paying a good 25%-30% mark-up for the Mac.

Damocles
04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
There is no security software that covers the unfound holes that are there. The reason I don't do it is because the hackers find their backdoors and gain easy access until they are found and plugged. The SR2 is the release that includes those plugs.

I haven't said it will blow up. I said it will leave you vulnerable.

Damocles
04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Mac is overpriced for what they give you...

Just follow my advice and get Vista right now. It's worth the fact that your new computer will be able to run anything you want to, and a Mac can run basically shit nothing. Also, you're looking at paying a good 25%-30% mark-up for the Mac.
It won't be able to "run whatever you want to", shoot HP hasn't even created most of their drivers for this OS yet.

FUCK THE POLICE
04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Sure it has driver problems.

But I'll honestly just take my chances. I'm not buying a mac and I'm not buying redundant software.

FUCK THE POLICE
04-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm still running Windows 2000, for God's sake :).

Do you want me to install that on my new computer?

Augustine
04-16-2007, 09:28 PM

I agree - in a few months I'll be purchasing a MacBook.

Damocles
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd suggest waiting to purchase the new computer. It won't be all that long before SR2 is out. Also, you won't have drivers for much of your peripherals until June/July, at least according to the reports I have received.

Some people now wish they listened when I said to wait. Also, they get frustrated that auto-saving in Word produces documents that are not backwards compatible. So, the way you normally save cannot be read by most other computers right now...

There are other frustrations, but those are the main ones.

uscitizen
04-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Should I upgrade from windows 3.11 for workgroups. It is so much slower than DOS 5.0.....

Damocles
04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Should I upgrade from windows 3.11 for workgroups. It is so much slower than DOS 5.0.....
Yes. You should.

uscitizen
04-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Yes. You should.

does Bill Gates own stock in RAM producers ?

Damocles
04-17-2007, 08:25 AM
does Bill Gates own stock in RAM producers ?
I do.

uscitizen
04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Any speed gains by hardware are offset by a more cumbersome OS.

IHateGovernment
04-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I am also Microsoft certified and I agree with Damo's assessment.

OrnotBitwise
04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
The OSX works fantastic and has a Unix base so a real mouse can be used. The problem with the MAC is the expense of getting compatible software. Word for the MAC is more expensive than it is for Microsoft OS...

However, OSX and XP work great together, Vista even better. It is getting very close to basically being seamless with either product.

I like MAC, and it will serve you well if you are getting one in the near future.I agree, especially with Beefy's interest in music and multimedia editing.

In answer to the original question: no, Vista does not. :)

I also agree with Damo about waiting for a while. All initial releases are buggy but Microsoft's are notoriously so. My boss installed Vista on his laptop and, while he likes it, has had all sorts of problems. It took him two days to upgrade completely.

bob
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I agree, especially with Beefy's interest in music and multimedia editing.

In answer to the original question: no, Vista does not. :)

I also agree with Damo about waiting for a while. All initial releases are buggy but Microsoft's are notoriously so. My boss installed Vista on his laptop and, while he likes it, has had all sorts of problems. It took him two days to upgrade completely.

well i have been using it scince the early beta stages, it had alot if issues through out all the beta programs. i got the final version when it was released. its the ultimit version. yet idose still have some small issues but i have had any major problems that wernt easily solved... but i also work in IT. I have heard of lot of horror storys but most were just exagerated. I like vista but for most people in genral (the home or collage user) it isnt much more than better eye candy. .... all that said... i will keep using it at home as my main pc and will have a test pc at work... but i will not roll it out to our end users at work for atleast another year for two reasons. 1 budget, second the industry hasnt had time to smoth out the bumps caused by the way vista is ment to run.

uscitizen
04-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah I work with Software devolopment for a mega company. Vista is not supported by our help desk yet.....

FUCK THE POLICE
04-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Any speed gains by hardware are offset by a more cumbersome OS.

Not really...

Vista should actually be faster for normal applications if you have enough memory. 512 MB's of RAM on Vista may be much slower than 512 on XP, but 2 GB on Vista will run a computer better than 2 GB on XP.

uscitizen
04-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Yeah, but I remember Gates saying we would never need more than 640K :D

Of course machine and assembler language is very effecient.

Darn C compilers create a huge exe file for a program that just prints one character on the screen.