PDA

View Full Version : Three Years, Five Months

Cypress
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
-The length of the war in iraq.

-The length of time it took to win a global war against Nazi German, Fascist Italy, and the european axis powers in WWII.

Damocles
08-11-2006, 09:53 AM

-The length of time it took to win a global war against Nazi German, Fascist Italy, and the european axis powers in WWII.
And how long did we occupy them and help them rebuild afterward?

Cypress
08-11-2006, 09:55 AM
And how long did we occupy them and help them rebuild afterward?

1) Germany attacked us. Iraq didn't
2) We spent less money rebuiling germany, than we've spent on iraq.
3) There was no guerilla war in Germany after 1945.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM

I would like to know how that compares in today's dollars. I don't know how they would compare but it might be interesting to figure that out.

Immie

toby
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
How long did it take for the Berlin wall to come down? Are there still American soldiers in Germany? Japan? Don't make stupid comparisons that have no meaning.

Damocles
08-11-2006, 09:59 AM
1. Yes, but the comparison is arbitrary. It is the long-term occupation that is so costly. Rebuilding Germany was also costly.
2. On that per-capita and adjusted for inflation basis, this is not reality.
3. Right, we actually waged war on the population of Germany, they were entirely defeated when it was over. In this case we PR'd ourselves into not fighting a war on the population, they are not defeated in spirit as the Germans were and therefore are willing to fight this type of battle....

Simply comparing them over time....

In lives, how many were lost in the same amount of time in Germany? That is what it costs to fight so "cheaply"!

toby
08-11-2006, 09:59 AM
But maybe the war was fought differently. Did we carpet bomb Iraq? How many cities did we nuke?

Cypress
08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I would like to know how that compares in today's dollars. I don't know how they would compare but it might be interesting to figure that out.

Immie

wikkipedia says the Marshal plan cost $120 billion in today's dollars. And that is the total spend on ALL european countries, not just Germany.

In comparisan, Iraq is a relatively small country, with 23 million people. Not an entire continent (i.e., western europe) with hundreds of millions.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 10:03 AM
1. Yes, but the comparison is arbitrary. It is the long-term occupation that is so costly. Rebuilding Germany was also costly.
2. On that per-capita and adjusted for inflation basis, this is not reality.
3. Right, we actually waged war on the population of Germany, they were entirely defeated when it was over. In this case we PR'd ourselves into not fighting a war on the population, they are not defeated in spirit as the Germans were and therefore are willing to fight this type of battle....

Simply comparing them over time....

In lives, how many were lost in the same amount of time in Germany? That is what it costs to fight so "cheaply"!

I understand the desire to compare and link Bush's Iraq War, to the successful glory days of Truman and the Marshall Plan.

Damocles
08-11-2006, 10:03 AM
wikkipedia says the Marshal plan cost $120 billion in today's dollars. And that is the total spend on ALL european countries, not just Germany.

In comparisan, Iraq is a relatively small country, with 23 million people. Not an entire continent (i.e., western europe) with hundreds of millions.
That is only the cost of the US, not all of the money spent in rebuilding. But I guess you are using that as the basis of cost. I use lives as the basis of cost. Lives cost far more than money... This war has been less costly than Germany. And the Marshal plan was only the rebuilding, not the war. How much did we spend on that war?

Damocles
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
My point, Cypress, is the attempt to equate these two wars on this basis when we were willing to fight all out in Germany but have been unwilling to do that in Iraq is disingenuous...

There are reasons enough to get out of iraq. There is no need to waste energy attempting to cost-basis this on a war that does not compare.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 10:07 AM
That is only the cost of the US, not all of the money spent in rebuilding. But I guess you are using that as the basis of cost. I use lives as the basis of cost. Lives cost far more than money... This war has been less costly than Germany. And the Marshal plan was only the rebuilding, not the war. How much did we spend on that war?

That war cost something like 2 trillion.

World War Two was a justified war. Iraq wasn't. I don't spend money on stuff thats not justied.

But, I understand the desire to try to link Bush's War, to Truman and World War Two. World War two and the Marshall Plan were arguably the most successful and glorified experiments in American foreign Policy. I'd want to try to be linked to them.

toby
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
It is stupid to compare such things. why not compare how many Americans died in WWII with how many died in Iraq?

Damocles
08-11-2006, 10:10 AM
That war cost something like 2 trillion.

World War Two was a justified war. Iraq wasn't. I don't spend money on stuff thats not justied.

But, I understand the desire to try to link Bush's War, to Truman and World War Two. World War two and the Marshall Plan were arguably the most successful and glorified experiments in American foreign Policy. I'd want to try to be linked to them.
Yes, but you compare the rebuilding cost and say Iraq is more expensive... The cost of making the rebuilding effort so cheap was the amount we spent on the war. Imagine if we used that type of warfare in Iraq... What would it be like if we spent that kind of money on that war? Would anybody at all be alive there?

The whole "was it justified" argument is fine. I agree, not justified. I agreed long before we went. This arbitrary measure of how much it cost is simply that... arbitrary. It is a non-sequitor. The basis for comparison doesn't exist because of the different way the wars were fought. One was against a civilian population, the other was not. One had a defeated population on rebuild, the other doesn't...

These two things do not compare.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 10:19 AM

I'm not so sure on the accuracy of anything placed into Wikipedia. I have not researched it but I am cautious on all things coming from Wikipedia.

Immie

evince
08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Good morning Immy, wiki is pretty damn reliable if you notice when they are wrong it hits the news!

I wish the news would report when our Government passes lies.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I didn't say they lied. However, when anyone in the world can post information in an encyclopedia you cannot expect it to be accurate. I mean I could post that Saddam Hussein was not involved in the murder of his own people. We all know that to be false but I could still post that lie and have it in Wikipedia for God knows how long.

Immie

toby
08-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Wiki is a poor site for information. But the point remains that you can't compare apples and oranges.

TheDanold
08-11-2006, 10:40 AM

What a stupid comparison, the actual Iraq WAR was over in a month. The occupation is 3 years and a few months. The occupation of Germany by the US is still ongoing to this day.

Stupid dishonest lying cypriss gets taken to the cleaners, again and again and again.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I didn't say they lied. However, when anyone in the world can post information in an encyclopedia you cannot expect it to be accurate. I mean I could post that Saddam Hussein was not involved in the murder of his own people. We all know that to be false but I could still post that lie and have it in Wikipedia for God knows how long.

Immie

Its easily verifiable within ten seconds on google. I simply picked wikkipedia, as one out of multiple sources. The other sources I saw on google were consistent with wikkipedia; i.e, the marshall plan cost in the range of 100-120 billion dollars inflation adusted, was spead among 13 european countries, and extended through 1951.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 10:43 AM
What a stupid comparison, the actual Iraq WAR was over in a month. The occupation is 3 years and a few months. The occupation of Germany by the US is still ongoing to this day.

Stupid dishonest lying cypriss gets taken to the cleaners, again and again and again.

were we in a guerilla war in Germany in 1948-49?

bob
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM

whats new

bob
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM

you sure germany attack the us first ?

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Ahh so Danold is Dano ?

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM

actually I believe Hitler declared war on us first.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Ummm, do you really need me to be your remedial history teacher? This was covered in 10th grade history class dude.

Germany declared war on us first, and their U-boat fleets were blockading our eastern seaboard and sending american merchant vessels to the bottom of the atlantic.

bob
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Ummm, do you really need me to be your remedial history teacher? This was covered in 10th grade history class dude.

Germany declared war on us first, and their U-boat fleets were blockading our eastern seaboard and sending american merchant vessels to the bottom of the atlantic.

did that happen before pearl harbor ?

toby
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
And Saddam declared war first too. So still not a valid comparison.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:06 AM
did that happen before pearl harbor ?

Incredible...........

bob
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
didnt we enter the war in 41 after pearl harbor, the we attacked japan, germanys alie ?

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Incredible...........

frankly bob, I don't have time to be your american history teacher. This was covered in high school. If you missed it, that's your problem. I'm not here to teach you history

bob
08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Incredible...........

whats that

bob
08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
frankly bob, I don't have time to be your american history teacher. This was covered in high school. If you missed it, that's your problem. I'm not here to teach you history

i wouldnt want you too bee, but you said that germany attacked us first.. not entirly true

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Right. Sending U-boats into New York harbor, chesapeake bay, and the florida coast to sink american shipping, isn't an act of war

rolls eyes.

bob
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Right. Sending U-boats into New York harbor, chesapeake bay, and the florida coast to sink american shipping, isn't an act of war

rolls eyes.

after we had plans to send troops too britin, witch happend a week or two after the uboats

bob
08-11-2006, 11:18 AM
after we had plans to send troops too britin, witch happend a week or two after the uboats

germany declaed war on the us affter the us Entered the war

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
germany declaed war on the us affter the us Entered the war

Do you understand that Germany declared war on us first?

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Why are you defending Nazi Germany?

bob
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Why are you defending Nazi Germany?

what makes you think that ?

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:27 AM
So, bascially bob, you've completely abandoned your original assertion, that germany didn't attack us first.

Now, you're just trying to spin ways to justify why hitler attacked us and launched U-boat attacks on us first.

Now, that you've abandoned your original assertion, I'm not going to address your new spins.

bob
08-11-2006, 11:31 AM
So, bascially bob, you've completely abandoned your original assertion, that germany didn't attack us first.

Now, you're just trying to spin ways to justify why hitler attacked us and launched U-boat attacks on us first.

Now, that you've abandoned your original assertion, I'm not going to address your new spins.

i dint make the assersion, just asked how sure of that you were

toby
08-11-2006, 11:33 AM
The US was supporting the UK, giving them supplies, our pilots were flying missions over Germany, and who declared war first doesn't really matter. The table was set, who called the word first is not that important.

bob
08-11-2006, 11:35 AM
when did the usa declare war on germany ?

bob
08-11-2006, 11:36 AM
we were attacked by japan first .. we entered the war... the germany declares

Damocles
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
when did the usa declare war on germany ?
Just after they Declared War on us.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
i dint make the assersion, just asked how sure of that you were

How was I so sure of it? Becasue I took 10th grade american history, and I knew Germany declared war on us first, and sent U-boats to attack us first.

And for those Nazi-apologists who claim hitler had a "right" to attack us, because we were supplying britain, they can go to hell.

We supplied Iraq during the Iraq-Iran war, and if Iran had decided to undertake a campaign to sink dozens of US ships in the Persian Gulf we would have considered that an act of war. No patriotic american would claim that Iran had the "right" to sink our merchant marine fleet.

bob
08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
http://www.worldwarii.org/

bob
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
How was I so sure of it? Becasue I took 10th grade american history, and I knew Germany declared war on us first, and sent U-boats to attack us first.

And for those Nazi-apologists who claim hitler had a "right" to attack us, because we were supplying britain, they can go to hell.

We supplied Iraq during the Iraq-Iran war, and if Iran had decided to undertake a campaign to sink dozens of US ships in the Persian Gulf we would have considered that an act of war. No patriotic american would claim that Iran had the "right" to sink our merchant marine fleet.

no one here is defending nazi's or hitler... i know you like to see thing as you like. but it just isnt the case here.

well maybe next year in 11th grade youll learn a lil more about history, unless you just want too ignore the parts of history you dont agree with.

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
no one here is defending nazi's or hitler... i know you like to see thing as you like. but it just isnt the case here.

well maybe next year in 11th grade youll learn a lil more about history, unless you just want too ignore the parts of history you dont agree with.Did you miss this in the very site you cite?

1941 - 4-Sep German torpedo attack on USS Greer opens tacit shooting war in Atlantic.

Germany began firing on our merchant shipping long before they declared war on us. Any educated American should know that.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Did you miss this in the very site you cite?

1941 - 4-Sep German torpedo attack on USS Greer opens tacit shooting war in Atlantic.

Germany began firing on our merchant shipping long before they declared war on us. Any educated American should know that.

I told Bob that twenty posts ago.

Its high school american history.

bob
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Did you miss this in the very site you cite?

no not at all, but i didnt just pick and chose either

1941 -- 5 Jan. British soldiers invaded Ethiopia. 29 -Jan. - British-American Staff Conversations. 1-Mar Bulgaria joined the Axis. 11 -Mar - Congress passes Lend-Lease Act. 6-April Germany invaded Greece and Yugoslavia. 13 - April Japan and Russia signed a non-aggression pact. 27-May President Roosevelt proclaims state of unlimited national emergency. 8 June British and French forces invaded Syria. 22 June - Russia is invaded by Hitler with approximately 3 million troops. 7-Jul United States forces land in Iceland. 26 -Jul United States declares oil embargo on Japan. 7-Aug The Atlantic Charter was announced 14-Aug - Roosevelt and Churchill announce Atlantic Charter. 4-Sep German torpedo attack on USS Greer opens tacit shooting war in Atlantic. 25 -Sep Army and Navy Secretaries submit to Roosevelt an estimate of U.S. forces needed to defeat the Axis and Japan. 1-Oct First Soviet Protocol signed by U.S., Great Britain, and USSR at Moscow. 7-8 Dec. Japan delivers simultaneous bombing attacks on Pearl Harbor, the Philippines, Wake, and Guam, invades Malaya and Thailand, seizes Shanghai, and declares war on the U.S. and Great Britain. 8 - Dec. German offensive in Russia bogs down Canada Declares War on Japan. 9 - Dec. China declares war on Japan, Nazi Germany, and Italy. 10 - Dec. Japanese capture Guam, land on Luzon in Philippines. 11 - Dec. Nazi Germany and Italy declare war on United States, and United States declares itself at war with them. 18 - Dec. Japanese they attacked Hong Kong and on Christmas Day the British surrendered. Dec. 20 Chennault’s Flying Tigers enter combat against Japanese in China. 23 - Dec. General Macarthur decides to evacuate Manila and withdraw to Bataan. Wake Island captured by Japanese.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
However, Ornot, as you read through this thread, you can see Bob, spinning and weaving between two distinct arguments:

1) First, he'll claim germany never attacked us first.

2) Then, after you disprove him multiple times, he'll change the subject and claim germany had "the right" to attack us, because we were supplying britain.

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM

1941 -- 5 Jan. British soldiers invaded Ethiopia. 29 -Jan. - British-American Staff Conversations. 1-Mar Bulgaria joined the Axis. 11 -Mar - Congress passes Lend-Lease Act. 6-April Germany invaded Greece and Yugoslavia. 13 - April Japan and Russia signed a non-aggression pact. 27-May President Roosevelt proclaims state of unlimited national emergency. 8 June British and French forces invaded Syria. 22 June - Russia is invaded by Hitler with approximately 3 million troops. 7-Jul United States forces land in Iceland. 26 -Jul United States declares oil embargo on Japan. 7-Aug The Atlantic Charter was announced 14-Aug - Roosevelt and Churchill announce Atlantic Charter. 4-Sep German torpedo attack on USS Greer opens tacit shooting war in Atlantic. 25 -Sep Army and Navy Secretaries submit to Roosevelt an estimate of U.S. forces needed to defeat the Axis and Japan. 1-Oct First Soviet Protocol signed by U.S., Great Britain, and USSR at Moscow. 7-8 Dec. Japan delivers simultaneous bombing attacks on Pearl Harbor, the Philippines, Wake, and Guam, invades Malaya and Thailand, seizes Shanghai, and declares war on the U.S. and Great Britain. 8 - Dec. German offensive in Russia bogs down Canada Declares War on Japan. 9 - Dec. China declares war on Japan, Nazi Germany, and Italy. 10 - Dec. Japanese capture Guam, land on Luzon in Philippines. 11 - Dec. Nazi Germany and Italy declare war on United States, and United States declares itself at war with them. 18 - Dec. Japanese they attacked Hong Kong and on Christmas Day the British surrendered. Dec. 20 Chennault’s Flying Tigers enter combat against Japanese in China. 23 - Dec. General Macarthur decides to evacuate Manila and withdraw to Bataan. Wake Island captured by Japanese.
And your point is that Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor was justified? Is that correct?

toby
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Who declared war first is not all that important and has nothing to do with the orginal post. The US declared war on Japan first, after they bombed Pearl Harbor and then Germany as an ally of Japan declared war on the US. But it is an argument that has nothing to do with the orginal post.

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
However, Ornot, as you read through this thread, you can see Bob, spinning and weaving between two distinct arguments:

2) Then, after you disprove him multiple times, he'll change the subject and claim germany had "the right" to attack us, becasue we were supplying britain.I've seen others do that same bob and weave before. It's usually preface to some argument that the Soviets and/or Maoists were worse than the Nazis.

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Who declared war first is not all that important and has nothing to do with the orginal post. The US declared war on Japan first, after they bombed Pearl Harbor and then Germany as an ally of Japan declared war on the US. But it is an argument that has nothing to do with the orginal post.

Wrong, dimwit. Japan declared war on us about an hour after Pearl Harbor. It was supposed to have happened right before the attack, but their embassy staff bungled it.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 12:28 PM

You just proved my original point.

toby
08-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Typical libs to change the subject.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I've seen others do that same bob and weave before. It's usually preface to some argument that the Soviets and/or Maoists were worse than the Nazis.

Now, when we were supplying and supporting Iraq in the Iran-Iraq war, I wonder what these nazi-apologists would say if the Iranian Navy started blockading our eastern seaboard, and started sinking american merchant ships???

Would these nazi-apologists, say Iran "had a right" to blockade us and sink our ships, because we were supporting and supplying Iraq??

toby
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
That is just stupid Cypress. That is the same as saying that Nazi have a right to kill Americans because they supported England. Sure if you are a nazi you would believe that. If you support Iran then sure they have a point. ME, I support the American agenda. If you want to support Iran then go right ahead.

toby
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
You have no moral base Cypress, so you can believe anything. How sad.

bob
08-11-2006, 12:50 PM

2) Then, after you disprove him multiple times, he'll change the subject and claim germany had "the right" to attack us, because we were supplying britain.

where ?

bob
08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
And your point is that Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor was justified? Is that correct?

no.. where the hell do you people come up with this shit... bunch of wishfull thinkers

bob
08-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I've seen others do that same bob and weave before. It's usually preface to some argument that the Soviets and/or Maoists were worse than the Nazis.

where ?

bob
08-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Now, when we were supplying and supporting Iraq in the Iran-Iraq war, I wonder what these nazi-apologists would say if the Iranian Navy started blockading our eastern seaboard, and started sinking american merchant ships???

Would these nazi-apologists, say Iran "had a right" to blockade us and sink our ships, because we were supporting and supplying Iraq??

your a crack head

bob
08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
unreal

bob
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM

your just full of assumtions

bob
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
cypress... why is that you seem proud that germany declared war on the US ?

bob
08-11-2006, 01:01 PM
You have no moral base Cypress, so you can believe anything. How sad.

cypress only belives things that she agrees with

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 01:52 PM
where ?
Fullpolitics.com, for one. Brent and WRL have both tried it on a number of occaisions. And on other forums in the past too.

TheDanold
08-11-2006, 01:56 PM
were we in a guerilla war in Germany in 1948-49?
Dealing with a few terrorists blowing up civilians or laying roadside bombs is not a "war" nor even a guerilla war.
If you want to get a look at a real guerilla war, then see Columbia where troops on both sides engage each other in combat.

And anyways your original contention of it being just a plain war was pure bullshit which you knew and is why you had to deceive and stretch it into pretending you meant a guerilla war; and it isn't even that.

Goddam lying motherfucker. I wonder if your boss likes liars working for him, maybe I should ask him...

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Dealing with a few terrorists blowing up civilians or laying roadside bombs is not a "war" nor even a guerilla war.
If you want to get a look at a real guerilla war, then see Columbia where troops on both sides engage each other in combat.

And anyways your original contention of it being just a plain war was pure bullshit which you knew and is why you had to deceive and stretch it into pretending you meant a guerilla war; and it isn't even that.

Goddam lying motherfucker. I wonder if your boss likes liars working for him, maybe I should ask him...
That would be a threat, D. Naughty naughty.

bob
08-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Fullpolitics.com, for one. Brent and WRL have both tried it on a number of occaisions. And on other forums in the past too.

not what i meant.. i was being called a nazi appoligist in a round about way, and i want to know where she came up wth that or anyone for that matter

OrnotBitwise
08-11-2006, 02:06 PM
not what i meant.. i was being called a nazi appoligist in a round about way, and i want to know where she came up wth that or anyone for that matter
Any suggestion that the United States attacked Germany without provocation invites such a response.

bob
08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Any suggestion that the United States attacked Germany without provocation invites such a response.

i never said that were wernt provoked into war...

bob
08-11-2006, 02:14 PM

and germanys declaration of war on the US wasnt the deciding factor to go to war