PDA

View Full Version : Single Issue Voters

OrnotBitwise
08-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Is there really anything wrong with being a "single issue" voter? I'm genuinely unsure and am curious about what people here think.

Klaatu, this is so you, baby. :)

We all sort of know what a single issue voter is, I think. It's somebody for whom one particular issue overshadows everything else, to an enormous degree. Single issue voters tend to be passionate about their issue and they are therefore relatively easy to mobilize.

Gay rights, for and against, are two obvious examples. So are both sides of the abortion debate -- and we all know what I think about anti-abortion voters. We've got a couple of anti-government-anything guys on here too.

A lot of us, including me, bitch about single issue voters. Especially when they're on the opposing side. But is there really anything wrong with it? Suppose a gay person is more concerned about gay rights than anything else. Is that surprising? I think not. Is he or she wrong for voting that way? I doubt it. Hey, at least they're voting.

Cypress
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
There's really nothing wrong with it.

Personally, I wish people would vote on a broader spectrum of issues.

OrnotBitwise
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Personally, I wish people would vote on a broader spectrum of issues.That's kind of where I've gotten to too. I used to say it was worse than not voting at all, but I've mellowed.

Minister of Truth
08-11-2006, 02:04 AM
I see nothing wrong with it. We all have irreconcilable differences over one or more issues with the opposition.

zoombwaz
08-11-2006, 04:03 AM

Personally, I wish people would vote on a broader spectrum of issues.

Yeah, there is something wrong with it. They lack a balanced viewpoint, a sense of proportion, to the point where they can't see the big picture, and can be manipulated by sleazy politicians and a subservient media to ignore more subtle, yet more important issues, to the detriment of all of us.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 06:26 AM
I have been accused of being a single-issue voter. I don't really think there is any such thing. Sure, there are certain issues that get people active, abortion for me, but I don't think there is anyone that votes only on one issue. I may be very vocal on the abortion issue but that does not mean that it is the only issue that matters to me.

I've moderated a lot on the issue since coming to politics.com. But it was never the only issue that mattered to me. Sure, maybe I tended to vote for the party that claimed to oppose abortion but that was because they also claimed to hold other values that I have.

It has become obvious to me since I became active that the Republican Party is more talk than action. I should have known that before, but not having been active in political discussion, I was not.

Immie

Damocles
08-11-2006, 06:31 AM
It has become obvious to me since I became active that the Republican Party is more talk than action. I should have known that before, but not having been active in political discussion, I was not.

Immie

*Sigh*, but the other side certainly doesn't hold those values... Sometimes there is no real choice.

LadyT
08-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Immy,

I've definitely accused you of such and unless you've changed your outlook significantly, I still stand by it. Pre 11/04 you're voting for Kerry came down to, "I can't support someone that isn't against killing the unborn" Dispite Bush's massive failures and incompetencies you said you would choose him over Kerry because Kerry wouldn't limit or outlaw abortions.

I have to disagree with Cypress and Ornot on this one. I think one issue voting can be pretty bad, particularly when you ignore massive failures and inadequecies of one candidate because he or she sides with you on your pet issue. That's exactly how Bush got into office - gay marriage ring a bell.

TheDanold
08-11-2006, 07:29 AM
I am interested in almost all issues, but I see the biggest threat to economic freedom and our higher standard of living as those who would push government universal healthcare which is the last major thing that seperates us from other countries.
I won't even consider voting for a politician who wants that and when regular people factor in the massive tax increases that are needed to support universal healthcare, they won't either, just like we saw in '94.
Dems should drop it forever.

klaatu
08-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Ornot ... I hope you meant this "is me" because I have always frowned on the practice of single issue voting. I look for the over all betterment of Society ..the individual whom I think is proposing the best package..
Although I am Pro-Life ..in the past I have voted for Pro-Choice candidates ..i.e. Bill Clinton the first time around.
I am against capital punishment but I have voted for pro death penalty candidates. To the best of my ability ..I seek out the one who is closest to proposing the total package.
IMHO .. one issue voting is selfish ... a little Star Trek here for ya . "It is logical... The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." ...

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Single issue voters are more easially misled and used by the political parties.
Some people cannot understand and balance out the issues, it is just easier to grab on to one issue and vote based on that one issue.

LadyT
08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
I am interested in almost all issues, but I see the biggest threat to economic freedom and our higher standard of living as those who would push government universal healthcare which is the last major thing that seperates us from other countries.
I won't even consider voting for a politician who wants that and when regular people factor in the massive tax increases that are needed to support universal healthcare, they won't either, just like we saw in '94.
Dems should drop it forever.

that's why I said, "Can" be bad. You could argue that 'universal healthcare' is not really a "one issue". There would be other issues that would arise from that would ultimately cause concern: quality of health care service, taxes, economic impact, etc. People that vote based on things like gay marriage and abortion tend to have issues with the acts themselves (i.e. its sinful), not necessarily the negative social or economic impacts of that issue if they even really exist.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Immy,

I've definitely accused you of such and unless you've changed your outlook significantly, I still stand by it. Pre 11/04 you're voting for Kerry came down to, "I can't support someone that isn't against killing the unborn" Dispite Bush's massive failures and incompetencies you said you would choose him over Kerry because Kerry wouldn't limit or outlaw abortions.

I have to disagree with Cypress and Ornot on this one. I think one issue voting can be pretty bad, particularly when you ignore massive failures and inadequecies of one candidate because he or she sides with you on your pet issue. That's exactly how Bush got into office - gay marriage ring a bell.

Oh well, think what you will. Kerry offered me nothing except for his arrogance. Not a damned thing in any issue.

Immie

LadyT
08-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Oh well, think what you will. Kerry offered me nothing except for his arrogance. Not a damned thing in any issue.

Immie

What did Bush offer you?

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 09:10 AM
What did Bush offer you?

Words.

Basically blowing smoke up my ass. But hey, at least he talked the talk.

Immie

LadyT
08-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Well, its hard to debate when you're being that sensible.:p

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, its hard to debate when you're being that sensible.:p

Sorry, I lost faith in the Bush Admin. True it was not before the '04 elections but I was on the verge. I just needed one good push and no one pushed. ;)

Immie

TheDanold
08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure what you want Immanuel, the Repubs stopped funding overseas abortions and they put in an honest effort to ban partial birth abortion. They also speak out against it.
There was also a vote to stop public funding of abortions in the senate which most Republicans voted on your side for.
I know you're impatient with them (as I am for different reasons), but I just think you expect too much.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure what you want Immanuel, the Repubs stopped funding overseas abortions and they put in an honest effort to ban partial birth abortion. They also speak out against it.
There was also a vote to stop public funding of abortions in the senate which most Republicans voted on your side for.
I know you're impatient with them (as I am for different reasons), but I just think you expect too much.

How about some damned integrity? A little bit of honesty goes a hell of a long way.

Immie

Topspin
08-11-2006, 02:12 PM
He offerred me lower taxes and a pro business approach. I voted for him. Tax cut was sweeeet.

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
As just demonstrated integrity does not stand a chance against cash in todays USA.

klaatu
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Words.

Basically blowing smoke up my ass. But hey, at least he talked the talk.

Immie

I have to agree with Immie .. the reason I voted for Bush the 2nd time around was first and foremost a vote against Kerry 2nd) Bush did offer up some words, like Social Security reform (didnt happen) 3rd) controlling taxes 4) And National Security , I just didnt trust Kerry with this issue .. way too much flip flopping during the election.
Kerry was a failed candidate ... a "0". Its real simple, had the Dems offered up a better candidate..they would have beat Bush.

Care4all
08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
i don't buy it....sorry!

Bush was HORRIBLE his first term...

there was NO ONE in the USA that could have been WORSE than bush was his first term, in EVERY MANNER! not kennedy, not kerry, not even byrd.....

YOU BOTH chose to ignore this because you were brainwashed to ''believe'' that NO DEMOCRAT was as WORTHY as Bush for the position....

and quite frankly, you two bought it, hook, line and SINKER.....and hatred towards Dems allowed you to believe it.....and truthfully, has aided in bring our country down....

face up to it, otherwise your repentance is empty.....and you will be apt to do it again, fall in to that trap again....

HARSH?

yes. :(

but needed to be said....at least by me!

care

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 05:21 PM
i don't buy it....sorry!

there was NO ONE in the USA that could have been WORSE than bush was his first term, in EVERY MANNER! not kennedy, not kerry, not even byrd.....

YOU BOTH chose to ignore this because you were brainwashed to ''believe'' that NO DEMOCRAT was as WORTHY as Bush for the position....

and quite frankly, you two bought it, hook, line and SINKER.....and hatred towards Dems allowed you to believe it.....and truthfully, has aided in bring our country down....

face up to it, otherwise your repentance is empty.....and you will be apt to do it again, fall in to that trap again....

HARSH?

care

THE QUEEN OF HATRED SPEAKS!

Anything Republican or Conservative is hated by her. You should all listen to her.

Ask her. There isn't a hateful bone in her body as long as she is speaking of Democrats.

Immie

Damocles
08-11-2006, 05:25 PM
i don't buy it....sorry!

HARSH?

care
I have no shame in saying I believe that Kerry would be worse than Bush and that I did not and would not vote for Kerry because of it. I made no qualms about it during the election either. It had nothing to do with "hatred" of dems either, it has everything to do with economic freedom which I believe that all freedoms begin at and grow from. That each event that begins to stifle that freedom is the next step in the wrong direction...

You can get all bent if you wish and assume that because I don't like the policy of Democrats that I hate them. You will be wrong though.

Care4all
08-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I was egging Immie and klaatu on Damo....I should have put names.....and really I was egging Immie on, not even Klaatu that much because I really did not hear that much from him before the election as I did from immie....

One of them knew exactly who I was talking about... right away...as soon as he read it ..... :D

Damocles
08-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I was egging Immie and klaatu on Damo....I should have put names.....and really I was egging Immie on, not even Klaatu that much because I really did not hear that much from him before the election as I did from immie....

One of them knew exactly who I was talking about... right away...as soon as he read it ..... :D
Ahhh... Poking with a stick, I see... Well, prod on... :D

:pke:

Cypress
08-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah, there is something wrong with it. They lack a balanced viewpoint, a sense of proportion, to the point where they can't see the big picture, and can be manipulated by sleazy politicians and a subservient media to ignore more subtle, yet more important issues, to the detriment of all of us.

I'm not saying single issue voting is always a good thing. I'm saying that even I have cast a vote on one issue. So I can't be too judgemental. I voted for Dennis Kucinch in the Dem primary, simply as a protest against Kerry's war vote. One issue, in essence. On the issues broadly speaking, I probably agreed more with kerry.

I would take "single issue" voting, on a case by case basis.

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Ahhh... Poking with a stick, I see... Well, prod on... :D

:pke:

I knew what she was doing. I should have just ignored her. She is not satisfied with me turning against George W. Bush. She wants me to come out and say I should have voted for John Kerry. Like that will ever happen. I may regret my vote for GWB, but had I not voted for GWB, I surely would not have voted for John Kerry. I would sooner have wasted my vote or not voted at all than to have voted for John Kerry. We just didn't see eye to eye on so many issues.

Immie

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not saying single issue voting is always a good thing. I'm saying that even I have cast a vote on one issue. So I can't be too judgemental. I voted for Dennis Kucinch in the Dem primary, simply as a protest against Kerry's war vote. One issue, in essence. On the issues broadly speaking, I probably agreed more with kerry.

Some times there is not a whole hell of a lot of difference between the candidates. Both are liars and crooks and it is evident. So do I chose Crook D or Liar R take your pick or is it Liar D and Crook R?

Immie

Damocles
08-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Some times there is not a whole hell of a lot of difference between the candidates. Both are liars and crooks and it is evident. So do I chose Crook D or Liar R take your pick or is it Liar D and Crook R?

Immie
It's Libertarian Nutjob!

Immanuel
08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
It's Libertarian Nutjob!

Well, I would prefer the Libertarian Nutjob to either the Democratic Liar/Crook or the Republican Crook/Liar.

Immie

OrnotBitwise
08-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, I would prefer the Libertarian Nutjob to either the Democratic Liar/Crook or the Republican Crook/Liar.

Immie
Big deal. Even I would prefer the Libertarian Nutjob.

zoombwaz
08-16-2006, 04:43 AM

Given the impact of the Iraq invasion on the nation's whole foreign policy, as well as the future economic impact, teh war can hardly be called a single issue, like gay marriage and flag burning, which have no impact on much of anything except the tender sensibiities of some seriously underinformed people. The war is the central issue.

Cancel7
08-16-2006, 06:35 AM

This is a tough one. I never have been a single issue voter, but the Iraqi war has probably made me one. I will not vote for any dem in the primary who still supports this war, that is not even negotiable. In fact, Hillary has lost my vote for the Senate in Nov. I'm going out on 9/12 to vote for Tassini in the Senate primary even. I would rather not vote for anyone who voted for this war, even if they did "change their mind", but would probably make an exception for Edwards. So that is negotiable.

However, I would not vote for someone who was anti-war, but also, anti-choice, pro-death penalty, anti-AA, anti-welfare, etc. So in that regard, I think I'm more aware than the rabid anti-choicers, and gay bashers, who will vote against all other concerns, and even against their own interests, on those one or two issues. And that's where they begin to not only get into trouble, but to cause everyone else a lot of trouble. It's not so much as being a one-issue voter, as it is having complete and willful tunnel vision. They see nothing else.

LadyT
08-16-2006, 06:49 AM
That's why I said, "Can be bad", I think being a single issue voter is bad in cases where you ignore all the incompentecies of a candidate and numerous of other positions that have a negative impact all for 1 single issue.

But, is the Iraq war really a "single issue"? Its really a myriad of other negative effects that supporting this war causes that makes me so vehemently opposed to it and its apologists:

Strained International Relations
The sustained negative economic impact that this long term financial obligation will have on our federal debt
We are the root cause of civil war in Iraq
The death and injury of 1000s of innocent Iraqi's
The death and injury of 1000s of US soldiers
It was unjust to begin with

Not to mention in addtion to all of these negatives, if you still are chearleading this war on, you're an incompetent dumba$$. I think all of these issues can be summed up nicely by saying, "The Iraq War", but its really all of the MANY other issues that arise from it that is what hurts us. If it was going well, didn't cost us anything, no one was dying and we weren't scorned for it by international community and they did find a WMD program, would it be an issue?

LadyT
08-16-2006, 06:50 AM
On the other hand, if someone wanted to bring back slavery - I'd be a one issue voter in that case.

Cancel7
08-16-2006, 06:52 AM
That's why I said, "Can be bad", I think being a single issue voter is bad in cases where you ignore all the incompentecies of a candidate and numerous of other positions that have a negative impact all for 1 single issue.

But, is the Iraq war really a "single issue"? Its really a myriad of other negative effects that supporting this war causes that makes me so vehemently opposed to it and its apologists:

The sustained negative economic impact that this long term financial obligation will have on our federal debt

Not to mention in addtion to all of these negatives, if you still are chearleading this war on, you're an incompetent dumba$$. I think all of these issues can be summed up nicely by saying, "The Iraq War", but its really all of the MANY other issues that arise from it that is what hurts us. If it was going well, didn't cost us anything, no one was dying and we weren't scorned for it by international community and they did find a WMD program, would it be an issue?

No I think you've got it right Tianna.

Cancel7
08-16-2006, 06:52 AM
On the other hand, if someone wanted to bring back slavery - I'd be a one issue voter in that case.

LOL.

Well, that would be considered a pretty egregious one issue that would, I hope, turn most of us into one issue voters.

LadyT
08-16-2006, 06:57 AM
LOL.

Well, that would be considered a pretty egregious one issue that would, I hope, turn most of us into one issue voters.

Extreme, I know, but it would make me a 1 issue voter.

Immanuel
08-16-2006, 06:59 AM

Ditto

Immie

klaatu
08-16-2006, 07:09 AM

Good points all! Now what you need is a candidate who will drive this home ... ! Hmm?

bob
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
well , i know a guy who was voteing on a single issue, witch happened to be gay rights, long sotry short, he quit voteing because the choices avalable too him didnt go along with what he belives, witch i think is prety silly if not stupid