PDA

View Full Version : High Server Demand

Damocles
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Howdy users,

There has been high server demand from the site. I can either resolve it by removing some of the database queries (Thanks/Groans will be gone, that should be enough) or I can upgrade the server so there are more resources. (About double what I currently pay, a little more actually).

How many people here would be upset if I removed the "Thanks/Groans" system from the board? I have no plans on reinstating the reputation points either, that became too much of a distraction.

Damocles
08-03-2011, 04:55 PM
As it stands I may need to remove the Thanks/Groans temporarily until I upgrade so that we can resolve some of the server issues we've been having lately.

You guys are active. I like that, but I need to make sure we have the resources to perform the actual reason we exist, which isn't to thank/groan posts, but to talk politics.

:D

Damocles
08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Okay, I have put in the order to upgrade the server. We should benefit from that rather quickly. There may be some downtime during transition as the name servers are pointed at the new server.

USFREEDOM911
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Howdy users,

There has been high server demand from the site. I can either resolve it by removing some of the database queries (Thanks/Groans will be gone, that should be enough) or I can upgrade the server so there are more resources. (About double what I currently pay, a little more actually).

How many people here would be upset if I removed the "Thanks/Groans" system from the board? I have no plans on reinstating the reputation points either, that became too much of a distraction.

I would groan you; but it wouldn't make a difference, since you're going to delete the option. :)

/MSG/
08-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I can help upgrade, at least temp-wise. I like thanks and groans.

Damocles
08-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I think most people do like the thanks/groans. I've needed to do this though, and now that we're getting resources warnings it's pretty much now or never.

Damocles
08-04-2011, 09:54 PM
My hope is to do this thing without losing data in the transfer... Let's see if that is possible. :)

BRUTALITOPS
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
If groans are going to be gone give me advance notice so I can go on a major groaning binge and groan you to the ground O_O

Damocles
08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Nah, the new server seems to have enough power to handle the Groan load...

Good Luck
08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
A suggestion: Keep the "Thanks", they are a fast, simple way of indicating agreement with a post.

Get rid of the groans. If one disagrees with a post, a reasoning person would state why. Groans are almost invariably used by childish trolls who have nothing better to do with their lives than disrupt others.

/MSG/
08-15-2011, 07:32 PM
A suggestion: Keep the "Thanks", they are a fast, simple way of indicating agreement with a post.

Get rid of the groans. If one disagrees with a post, a reasoning person would state why. Groans are almost invariably used by childish trolls who have nothing better to do with their lives than disrupt others.
Lulz.