PDA

View Full Version : Death Penalty for Spies/Deserters?

LadyT
08-10-2006, 08:55 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/09/sailor.charge/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A sailor facing espionage and desertion charges has been held at a Norfolk, Virginia, brig since March, the U.S. Navy said Wednesday.
In addition to the espionage allegations, Weinmann also faces desertion charges, which could result in the death penalty. He is accused of deserting in July 2005 during his first tour of duty.

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Interesting that this is not officially a war, but we seem to be going by the rules of war on so many angles.....

toby
08-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Not much to go on in that article. So I guess it would depend on the circumstances.

LadyT
08-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Interesting that this is not officially a war, but we seem to be going by the rules of war on so many angles.....

If what they say is true, I don't feel sorry for the guy one bit, but I wonder what his punishment will be if convicted. I'm against the death penalty so I won't be hoping for that, however I do think hte punishment should be extreme for something like this.

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I have to ageree LadyT. If you sign on you bwetter be ready to do the job. It is an all volunteer military after all.

Adam Weinberg
08-14-2006, 04:01 PM
It's upsetting that they always seem to catch Jewish people spying for Russia (well, not always, but some of you know what I'm talking about). And he was such a Nice Jewish Boy.

Anyway, there should not be a death penalty in the United States of America. We're too advanced a country much longer believe that the government has the right to maintain systematic killing of any kind.

It is dangerous to securing our freedom in the long term, I am convinced, for the government to think it is so empowered as to have that right to kill its prisoners if they feel they are out of order in any way.

It's a slippery slope issue, and I think we should nip it in the bud by joining much of the rest of the civilized world. Any time we aren't doing as well as Russia, I sound the alarm, and unfortunately there are a number of issues and initiatives on which the people of the Former Soviet Union are now outdoing us.

Taxation, Electoral Fairness, Capital Punishment...Russia has better policies than much of the Union.

Oh...and Kansas doesn't have the death penalty either.

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 09:07 AM
//

Kansas does not need the death penalty. Several years ago they shipped all their criminals and mentally deficient people to Texas and raised the average IQ of both states.

Cypress
08-15-2006, 09:12 AM
//

Kansas does not need the death penalty. Several years ago they shipped all their criminals and mentally deficient people to Texas and raised the average IQ of both states.

OMG! ROFL-time!

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 09:26 AM
It is a hysterical fat Cypress. Honest to dixies god.

LadyT
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
It is a hysterical fat Cypress. Honest to dixies god.

LOL, it explains a lot, speaking of Texas has anyone been reading about the surge in homicides in Texas they are attributing to New Orleans gangs that were transplanted?

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Yep I have read about that. Just those texas Republicans blaming their problems on others :)

LadyT
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
LOL, looks like Granny Bush's fears are coming true!

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
George is back on the bottle ???

LadyT
08-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Even worse, she just found out her grand child is half black!

klaatu
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Not to veer off subject .. but I will .. when I used to give desk top technical support I had the privilege of talking to people all over the Country.., and I will say this .. I loved talking to Texans..along with the midwest they are some of the nicest people around. The worse, on average of course; People from Massachusetts, NYC, South Florida and Arkansas ...

uscitizen
08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Even worse, she just found out her grand child is half black!
That shoud be worth a lot of black votes :)

LadyT
08-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Not to veer off subject .. but I will .. when I used to give desk top technical support I had the privilege of talking to people all over the Country.., and I will say this .. I loved talking to Texans..along with the midwest they are some of the nicest people around. The worse, on average of course; People from Massachusetts, NYC, South Florida and Arkansas ...

What about Jerseyites?