PDA

View Full Version : 60% of Americans oppose the war!

Jarod
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sixty percent of Americans oppose the U.S. war in Iraq and a majority would support a partial withdrawal of troops by year's end, a CNN poll said on Wednesday.

It was the CNN poll's highest number opposing the war since fighting began in March 2003, a figure that has risen steadily since then, according to the Opinion Research Corp. survey conducted last week on behalf of the cable network.

The poll showed 36 percent of respondents said they were in favor of the war -- half the peak 72 percent who supported the war as it began, said the poll of 1,047 Americans.

The telephone survey, which had an error margin of 3 percentage points, showed 61 percent believed at least some U.S. troops should be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of 2006.

Voter anger over the Iraq war, plagued by insurgent and sectarian violence with a daily civilian death toll, was cited in the Connecticut Democratic primary defeat Tuesday of U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman, who strongly backed President George W. Bush's war effort.

Jarod
08-09-2006, 02:54 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/09/AR2006080900405.html

Cypress
08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
DIXIE, June 15, 2006: "Zarqawi's death spells the end for alQaeda in Iraq. There have been dozens of captures and arrests made since the discovery of the documents, we frikin hit the mother-load on information, and the "insurgency" is about to meet its demise! Another bad day for Pinheads!"

Brent
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Sixty percent of Americans are morons.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Sixty percent of Americans are morons.

I have to agree on that Brent. Wasn't that about the same percentage that elected Bush ?

Jarod
08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I have to agree on that Brent. Wasn't that about the same percentage that elected Bush ?

Nope, he never got that much of the vote, never!

Jarod
08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
How is 60% a fringe groop? Seems to me like the Democratic party of CT represents the same view of about 60% of Americans!

klaatu
08-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Nope, he never got that much of the vote, never!

Name a President that did .. or nearly did...like 59. somthin %

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Well I still have to agree with Brent on 60% being pretty much morons. As bad as I hate admitting agreement with Brent :) I guess some of that 60% just did not vote.

Jarod
08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Name a President that did .. or nearly did...like 59. somthin %

I think Reagan's reelection got that much of the vote.

klaatu
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I think Reagan's reelection got that much of the vote.

;)

robdastud
08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Klaatu loved reagan b/c he made workign families suffer and helped spread aids.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
LOL, rob I think the suffering thing covers many presidents and congressmen.
Yes I think Regan messed up bad on AIDS by not classifying it as another STD same as clap and siff. with the same restrictions, Ie no working in food service or medical if you have it, etc.

klaatu
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Klaatu loved reagan b/c he made workign families suffer and helped spread aids.

lol .. I was a blue collar working stiff under Reagan .. raising 3 daughters .. and I did OK Rob. I was able to buy a house, get a job with a newly formed Hi TEch Company .... and I bought my first Brand New Car during the Reagan years! The Reagan years were great ... an era of peace and arms negotiations and prosperity ... for those who were awake during those years ..politically speaking .. there was nothing more exciting then watching US-Soviet arms control negotiations ... something we lack today in foriegn policy.

As far as AIDS .. I dont think we elected Dr. Reagan? Just a far left whaco excuse to drag his name through the mud . ...

Jarod
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I blame the religous right for the AIDS thing, because it was related to sex they were very slow to react to it. The idea that it was Gods punishment for deviant sex caused the slow reaction.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
That and the politicos were afraid of appearing to be against Gays Jarod.

Jarod
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
That and the politicos were afraid of appearing to be against Gays Jarod.

How would helping AIDS patients make you appear to be against Gays?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 11:38 AM
61 percent believed at least some U.S. troops should be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of 2006.

HELLO????

I hate to break this to ya, but that doesn't mean 60% oppose the war, idiot!

Everyone here knows how much I support this war, and if someone called me up and asked me: "Do you think ANY troops should be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of the year?" I would answer YES! We've already drawn up the plans to withdraw troops, as soon as Iraqi security forces are ready! Barring some major calamity, I see no reason why most of our combat forces can't return home by the end of this year.

One thing this proves to me, is how utterly desperate the anti-war crowd is. Still trying to lie and mislead people with propaganda like this, and still chanting to "bring them home" when it's clear, they are coming home soon, the job is almost complete. Our forces will come back home when the job is finished, and not because you pinheads 'spirited' them back with your war protests.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
The politicos were afraid the categorizing AIDS as an STD with all the restrictions that implies would lose them gay votes. After all it [pretty much started out as a "gay disease".
The restrictions would include not working in the food service industry or health care industry.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
the job is almost complete.

And how long have you and your fellow bushies been singing this chant dixie ?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 12:01 PM
the job is almost complete.

And how long have you and your fellow bushies been singing this chant dixie ?

The same time you started your chant about this being a neverending quagmire like Vietnam, with no exit strategy. What was your point?

Jarod
08-10-2006, 12:07 PM
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sixty percent of Americans oppose the U.S. war in Iraq and a majority would support a partial withdrawal of troops by year's end, a CNN poll said on Wednesday."

DID YOU NOT SEE THE "AND"?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 12:14 PM
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sixty percent of Americans oppose the U.S. war in Iraq and a majority would support a partial withdrawal of troops by year's end, a CNN poll said on Wednesday."

DID YOU NOT SEE THE "AND"?

I see where that's how the liberal pinhead reporter chose to spin the actual poll. As for the wording of the question asked, I think it was presumptive to think he was correct in his "objecive" journalistic analysis.

Of course, for koolaid drinkers such as yourself, it sounds good to you, so why question it? Right?

Answer me this, Genius... Why have there been numerous votes on the floor of Congress, in both the House and Senate, to withdraw our troops from Iraq and call it quits, and they have all failed miserably, by an overwhelming majority? Do you honestly believe Congress is ignoring what 60% of the general public thinks?

Jarod
08-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I see where that's how the liberal pinhead reporter chose to spin the actual poll. As for the wording of the question asked, I think it was presumptive to think he was correct in his "objecive" journalistic analysis.

Of course, for koolaid drinkers such as yourself, it sounds good to you, so why question it? Right?

Answer me this, Genius... Why have their been numerous votes on the floor of Congress, in both the House and Senate, to withdraw our troops from Iraq and call it quits, and they have all failed miserably, by an overwhelming majority? Do you honestly believe Congress is ignoring what 60% of the general public thinks?

Typical Republican... attack the messinger, claim a liberal bias, claim that you are smarter than that but the liberals arnt... and move on!

Jarod
08-10-2006, 12:20 PM

Answer me this, Genius... Why have their been numerous votes on the floor of Congress, in both the House and Senate, to withdraw our troops from Iraq and call it quits, and they have all failed miserably, by an overwhelming majority? Do you honestly believe Congress is ignoring what 60% of the general public thinks?

I dont belive Congress currently represents the will of the people... but that will change come November.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I dont belive Congress currently represents the will of the people... but that will change come November.

Really? You mean, they don't have their own independent polling system among their constituents, to see what kind of job they are doing, and how well they are adhering to the views of the voters who elected them? My goodness... how do you suppose they expect to be re-elected? Maybe you believe that Bush and Cheney brainwashed them? Maybe Karl Rove had dirt on them and blackmailed them into their continued support of Bush's war? Mayyyyyyybe.... aliens are working with Bush, and they have infiltrated the bodies of all these Congressmen! OMG! Could that be????
:eek:

Jarod
08-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Really? You mean, they don't have their own independent polling system among their constituents, to see what kind of job they are doing, and how well they are adhering to the views of the voters who elected them? My goodness... how do you suppose they expect to be re-elected? Maybe you believe that Bush and Cheney brainwashed them? Maybe Karl Rove had dirt on them and blackmailed them into their continued support of Bush's war? Mayyyyyyybe.... aliens are working with Bush, and they have infiltrated the bodies of all these Congressmen! OMG! Could that be????

I did not say they did not know what the will of the people is, I said they do not currently represent the will of the people. The will of the people has changed a lot since the last election... You have set up a false argument here! Lieberman's defeat should illistrate to you my above premis is correct... But you and your ilk will not pay any attention to the signs. When people are elected via tricks like trying to manipulate voter turn out in swing states with fear mongering or playing on bigotry (gay marriage) the result is a representative who does not truely reflect the will of the people!

leaningright
08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I blame the religous right for the AIDS thing, because it was related to sex they were very slow to react to it. The idea that it was Gods punishment for deviant sex caused the slow reaction.

I blame the religious right for just about every ill-fated decision in this country.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
The same time you started your chant about this being a neverending quagmire like Vietnam, with no exit strategy. What was your point?

Vietnam quagmire ? surely you have me confused with someone else :)

So you are saying that the repubs are as dumb as the liberals ?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I did not say they did not know what the will of the people is, I said they do not currently represent the will of the people.

So, these people who went to the trouble of running for office and being elected, are simply ignoring the will of the people, in spite of realizing the political suicide to do so? What would prompt them to do such a thing? Don't they care about being re-elected?

Lieberman's defeat should illistrate to you my above premis is correct.

Lieberman's defeat means something completely different to me, it shows me how George Soros and MoveOn.org can spend enough money and influence enough voters to topple a northeast pro-war liberal. And until the ballots are counted in November, I wouldn't go around proclaiming Lieberman "defeated."

Jarod
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
So Dixie you dont belive that once elected a leader can loose the beat of the voters?

We now collectivly see that going to war in Iraq was a mistake, one that many voters are no longer willing to forgive...

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
ROFLMAO, what song did you sing when Clowntoon was re-elected dixie ....

Perhaps I won't ignore Dixie, he is pretty entertaining as long as you don't take him seriously.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
We now collectivly see that going to war in Iraq was a mistake, one that many voters are no longer willing to forgive...

I disagree. I think you believe this, and the koolaid you've been given with the Lieberman loss is making you think this, as well as the trumped up liberal CNN polls... but that and reality are two different things. I think there are a lot of people tired of war, wishing it were over with, and wanting it to end soon. I feel the same way, but it doesn't change my perspective on why we went to war or the vital importance it has in the War on Terror or national security. I even have questions as to the way we've done things in Iraq, serious questions, serious reservations about whether decisions were made that were wise and well thought out... it still doesn't change my perspective on why we had to take out Saddam, or the reasons for going to war in Iraq. It certainly doesn't change my perspective on whether we should surrender to alQaeda and leave now, or continue to train Iraqi security forces and complete the task.

But, I don't live in Liberal La-la Land, and I am not desperately trying to cling to my convictions about this war and make people believe something that isn't true.

OrnotBitwise
08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I blame the religious right for just about every ill-fated decision in this country.
I think he's got a point.

All protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, it's clear that the early slow response to the AIDS epidemic was due to a general perception that is was a disease confined to homosexuals. While the common prejudice against homosexuals isn't "caused" by religious convictions per se, the doctrine of many sects -- especially Christian and Muslim sects -- enshrine and reinforce that prejudice.

I think it's at least partly true that McPresident didn't want to deal with AIDS because doing so would anger the fundies.

OrnotBitwise
08-10-2006, 01:10 PM

I disagree. I think you believe this, and the koolaid you've been given with the Lieberman loss is making you think this, as well as the trumped up liberal CNN polls... but that and reality are two different things. I think there are a lot of people tired of war, wishing it were over with, and wanting it to end soon. I feel the same way, but it doesn't change my perspective on why we went to war or the vital importance it has in the War on Terror or national security. I even have questions as to the way we've done things in Iraq, serious questions, serious reservations about whether decisions were made that were wise and well thought out... it still doesn't change my perspective on why we had to take out Saddam, or the reasons for going to war in Iraq. It certainly doesn't change my perspective on whether we should surrender to alQaeda and leave now, or continue to train Iraqi security forces and complete the task.

But, I don't live in Liberal La-la Land, and I am not desperately trying to cling to my convictions about this war and make people believe something that isn't true.

It's not just the CNN polls though. It's all the polls, including WSJ, Rasmussen and even Fox News.

Jarod
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Are we fighting an insurgency or secretarian violence now? I cant keep your claims stright, cuz I was sure you claimed the war against the insurgency over?

Jarod
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I think he's got a point.

All protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, it's clear that the early slow response to the AIDS epidemic was due to a general perception that is was a disease confined to homosexuals. While the common prejudice against homosexuals isn't "caused" by religious convictions per se, the doctrine of many sects -- especially Christian and Muslim sects -- enshrine and reinforce that prejudice.

I think it's at least partly true that McPresident didn't want to deal with AIDS because doing so would anger the fundies.

Thank you for describing my point in more detail.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 01:18 PM
It's not just the CNN polls though. It's all the polls, including WSJ, Rasmussen and even Fox News.

A poll is not the collective will of the American people, and it is subject to interpretation and manipulation, based on how questions are worded, how many pinheads are off from work that day, how many airheads the pollster encounters, the mood of the pollster, and how reporters spin the results.

If we could just rely on the polls to tell us accurately what every American thinks, we would not need a Congress or a President. We could simply have a big computer in D.C. to tabulate the daily poll results from across America, and govern according to that. There is a valid reason we don't do that! Polls are NOT ALWAYS RIGHT! The ONLY poll that EVER matters, is the one held on Election Day at your local precinct. Aside from that poll, the only other possible polls that matter, are the ones taken on the floor of Congress when legislation is presented for vote. ...Like the numerous votes taken to withdraw from Iraq, which have all failed resoundingly.

Jarod
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM

A poll is not the collective will of the American people, and it is subject to interpretation and manipulation, based on how questions are worded, how many pinheads are off from work that day, how many airheads the pollster encounters, the mood of the pollster, and how reporters spin the results.

If we could just rely on the polls to tell us accurately what every American thinks, we would not need a Congress or a President. We could simply have a big computer in D.C. to tabulate the daily poll results from across America, and govern according to that. There is a valid reason we don't do that! Polls are NOT ALWAYS RIGHT! The ONLY poll that EVER matters, is the one held on Election Day at your local precinct. Aside from that poll, the only other possible polls that matter, are the ones taken on the floor of Congress when legislation is presented for vote. ...Like the numerous votes taken to withdraw from Iraq, which have all failed resoundingly.

Fox, Rasmussen and the WSJ are all liberal orginizations.. American haters!:cof1:

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Thank you for describing my point in more detail.

Agreed, I had ignored the religious rights wishes for all the gays to die of aids.
Good job Ornot.

Brent
08-10-2006, 08:41 PM

I blame sodomite promiscuity for the "AIDS thing." You blame the religious right because that's what the wacko left-wing wants you to believe. What the hell did you want the government to do about it? Give you sodomites free condoms?

NOVA
08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
LEADERS don't lead by looking at polls and worrying about the direction of the wind.....they LEAD.....its what seperates Republicans from Democrats....
Republicans lead and Democrats worry about the voters 'feelings'

Jarod
08-11-2006, 05:36 AM
LEADERS don't lead by looking at polls and worrying about the direction of the wind.....they LEAD.....its what seperates Republicans from Democrats....

Not according to Dixie, they all look at polls and go with the wind!:pke:

uscitizen
08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I blame sodomite promiscuity for the "AIDS thing." You blame the religious right because that's what the wacko left-wing wants you to believe. What the hell did you want the government to do about it? Give you sodomites free condoms?

Brent how do you squeeze so much hatred and fear in such a small mind ?

evince
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Its called a democracy , what the people want drives a democracy.

You perfer "leadership" to Democracy?

Damocles
08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Its called a democracy , what the people want drives a democracy.

You perfer "leadership" to Democracy?
Thankfully we live in a Representative Republic rather than a simple Democracy... Democracy is a recipe for disaster as the minority becomes an underclass.

To say that leadership is a skill that is unnecessary in our Representative government and that they should just follow the polls is, I believe, foolish.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Not according to Dixie, they all look at polls and go with the wind!:pke:

No, I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening. I am fairly certain, each congress-person, has their own independent source for determining what their constituency wants them to do, how they want them to vote on the issues of the day, otherwise, few would ever be able to get re-elected, as they would never be able to legislate in accordance with what their constituents want, because they can't read minds.

That said, it's interesting, every vote taken on the floor of Congress, to cut, run, surrender, retreat, in a year, two years, six months or right now, has met with dismal failure. Every vote taken to continue funding this war that you and your poll claims 60% of us don't agree with, has passed resoundingly. You claim it's because these Representatives aren't in touch with the voters, and I maintain, it's precisely because they ARE in touch with their constituents, and know how they are expected to vote. Your "60% Against This War" shit, is a load of crap and you know it.

Cypress
08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening!

"An August 3 CNN poll found that 57 percent of Americans backed a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq"

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-11-2006, 12:50 PM
if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening!

"An August 3 CNN poll found that 57 percent of Americans backed a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq"

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Then why did 57% of the elected representatives not back the resolution to do just that? Either your polls are wrong, or representatives are foolishly ignoring the will of their constituencies in an unprecidented and illogical manner!

Jarod
08-11-2006, 01:19 PM
No, I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening.

Why would 60% demand we withdraw from Iraq if the polls dont say 60% of Americans whant us to Withdraw?

Jarod
08-11-2006, 01:29 PM
"All in all, considering the costs to the United States versus the benefits to the United States, do you think the war with Iraq was worth fighting, or not?"

Worth Fighting Not WorthFighting Unsure
39 59 1

Jarod
08-11-2006, 01:29 PM
http://pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Cypress
08-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Then why did 57% of the elected representatives not back the resolution to do just that? Either your polls are wrong, or representatives are foolishly ignoring the will of their constituencies in an unprecidented and illogical manner!

Because congress is republican controlled.

Most Democratic house members voted for a withdrawl timetable, in accordance with voters wishes:

WASHINGTON - The House on Friday rejected a timetable for pulling U.S. forces out of Iraq after a ferociously partisan debate, forcing lawmakers in both parties to go on record on a major issue in re-election campaigns nationwide.

A day after the Senate took the same position against troop withdrawal, the GOP-led House voted 256-153 to approve a nonbinding resolution that says an “arbitrary date for the withdrawal or redeployment” of American forces is not in the national interest.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13338901/

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Why would 60% demand we withdraw from Iraq if the polls dont say 60% of Americans whant us to Withdraw?

I am asking you, why wouldn't 60% of Congress be calling for a withdrawal, if 60% of the public legitimately felt that way? You gave me a CNN poll that said 60% of this country opposes the war, so why isn't 60% of Congress following the wishes of their constituency? Those Congressmen pay very close attention to the people who elected them, because most of them want to be re-elected! ...So, a long time ago, they developed ways to get a finger on the pulse of who they represent. I simply don't buy, that they are ignorant of 60% of their constituency opposing the war. I don't buy the assertion, be it republican or democrat, that a politician is intentionally ignoring the sentiments of 60% of their voters. It flies in the face of common sense to believe this.

You made the inaccurate statement, that I believed politicians just follow the polls... stick a finger in the air... etc. That's not what I said. If politicians did indeed follow polls, 60% of them would be following the CNN poll you posted, and demanding we withdraw from this war that everyone opposes! They are not doing this! (Let me check C-Span... nope... not happening!) Again, I will point out, any United States Congress-person, has a very detail-oriented staff and enormous resources at their disposal, and believe me, they fully know and understand what the constituents of their districts want and how they expect them to vote. So, I will ask you again, what do you suppose the reason is for this? Did Bush brainwash them all? Does Dick Cheney have them on some sort of mind-control drug? How is it that Congressional actions do not reflect this 60% sentiment in any way? Sure, there are a few more (R)'s than (D)'s up there, and if these cut-n-run initiatives were being defeated in squeakers by a couple of votes, I might see the relevance to that, but the votes are overwhelming in favor of this war, staying in this war until it is complete, continuing to fund this war regardless of the cost, and it's completely contradictory to the "60% oppose this war" polls you presented.

Jarod
08-12-2006, 12:58 PM
"I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening."

Are you admiting the polls show 60% want us to withdraw or not?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
"I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening."

Are you admiting the polls show 60% want us to withdraw or not?

Well, Jarod? You posted the link to the poll yourself, didn't you? I think it would be utterly foolish for me to claim the poll didn't exist. It's right there in black and white for everyone to see, indeed, a poll that claims 60% want us out of Iraq. So, yes, I am admitting the obvious, there is a poll that shows this, according to the CNN story.

Now, let's discuss my question... Why is it, if a poll indicates this, that Congress is not responding to the poll and voting accordingly? Perhaps their internal polls indicate something very different? *Gasp* but that would mean... the CNN poll is inaccurate, and we all know that CNN is never inaccurate, right? Politicians are not generally the kind of people to stupidly commit political suicide and ignore their constituents, so the only possible explanation remaining, is a Bush/Cheney Mind Control spell.

maineman
08-12-2006, 01:50 PM
a republican congress is not going to listen to polls if by responding to them, they basically admit that they have been wrong about Iraq this close to the midterms. Instead, they will do their best to continue to mischaracterize the democrats as traitors and cowards and hope that things don't completely turn to shit in Iraq prior to November.

The administration is doing their part by increasing troop strength, especially in and around Baghdad to attempt to keep a lid on the simmering insurgency/civil war until after election day.

Jarod
08-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, Jarod? You posted the link to the poll yourself, didn't you? I think it would be utterly foolish for me to claim the poll didn't exist. It's right there in black and white for everyone to see, indeed, a poll that claims 60% want us out of Iraq. So, yes, I am admitting the obvious, there is a poll that shows this, according to the CNN story.

Now, let's discuss my question... Why is it, if a poll indicates this, that Congress is not responding to the poll and voting accordingly? Perhaps their internal polls indicate something very different? *Gasp* but that would mean... the CNN poll is inaccurate, and we all know that CNN is never inaccurate, right? Politicians are not generally the kind of people to stupidly commit political suicide and ignore their constituents, so the only possible explanation remaining, is a Bush/Cheney Mind Control spell.

DO, you claimed the poll did not say this.. you claimed the poll was comming from a liberal bias and was being interperted to have said that 60% of Americans are against the war in Iraq.

Jarod
08-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Sorry the first word should be "No" not "Do".

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-12-2006, 06:26 PM
you claimed the poll did not say this.. you claimed the poll was comming from a liberal bias and was being interperted to have said that 60% of Americans are against the war in Iraq.

I said that I don't believe the poll to be accurate. I don't think the poll "says" that at all. I think you and CNN want us to think and believe the poll says that, but this is because you are liberals with an agenda. The reason I suspect the poll is not accurate, is because 60% of Congress is not demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and if 60% of the people actually felt the way the poll claims, they would be. ....Unless they are victims of a mind control ray, or something.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
See Jarod, I think you are confused because you believe the CNN poll to be accurate, you are assuming it is, and I don't assume this. I think there is a stark difference between what the CNN poll indicates, and what Congressmen are actually hearing from their constituents. Now, since I don't really believe the anti-war people are too shy to call and write their representatives about this important issue, I have to conclude, the CNN poll is inaccurate, or all of Congress is under a mind control spell by Bush and Cheney, nothing else makes sense.

maineman
08-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I say again:

a republican congress is not going to listen to polls if by responding to them, they basically admit that they have been wrong about Iraq this close to the midterms. Instead, they will do their best to continue to mischaracterize the democrats as traitors and cowards and hope that things don't completely turn to shit in Iraq prior to November.

The administration is doing their part by increasing troop strength, especially in and around Baghdad to attempt to keep a lid on the simmering insurgency/civil war until after election day.

Cypress
08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
See Jarod, I think you are confused because you believe the CNN poll to be accurate, you are assuming it is, and I don't assume this. I think there is a stark difference between what the CNN poll indicates, and what Congressmen are actually hearing from their constituents. Now, since I don't really believe the anti-war people are too shy to call and write their representatives about this important issue, I have to conclude, the CNN poll is inaccurate, or all of Congress is under a mind control spell by Bush and Cheney, nothing else makes sense.

This isn't even worth debating.

Dixie thinks all the polls are wrong, and the majority of american people don't think bush's war was a mistake.

rolls eyes

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-13-2006, 09:53 AM
This isn't even worth debating.

Dixie thinks all the polls are wrong, and the majority of american people don't think bush's war was a mistake.

rolls eyes

You can roll your eyes all you like, it doesn't answer the question I posed. I know you think you can just throw out a CNN poll and claim it proves 60% oppose the war, and we are all supposed to just gulp it down and accept it as a fact, but this presumes we are all koolaid-drinking pinheads incapable of independent thought, like yourself.

Whether you think the war was a mistake or not, has nothing to do with whether you oppose our presence in Iraq at this time. If you believe that tactical mistakes were made in Iraq, it doesn't mean you oppose the war. And because a known liberal news entity such as CNN does a "poll" of 1,000 people, it doesn't mean this is how the entire country feels and thinks about ANYTHING!

Senators and Representatives are very in tune with their constituents. Sure, a few of them can and will sometimes misjudge the data they obtain independently, and their constituents will hold them accountable, but this normally happens on an purely isolated basis, the entire Congress doesn't make the exact same error in judgement across the board. Given that I know this to be a fact of life in politics, I can't just ignore it.

Your side has presented a poll that claims "60% of Americans Oppose the War!" Yet, every single solitary vote that has taken place to date, regarding withdrawal, funding, support or renouncement, etc... goes largely in favor of the war, not in opposition. So, you have the actual elected representation's votes, which are completely contradicting the CNN poll results, and there has to be a valid explanation for this. When you are a koolaid-drinking propagandist, such as yourself, you can ignore this kind of thing and roll your eyes... thinking and intelligent people, can't.