PDA

View Full Version : Lou Dobbs Quote

LadyT
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm no huge fan of Lou, but I thought this was great:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/08/dobbs.august9/index.html

"Now what with the war in Iraq, the war in Afghanistan, Israel battling Hezbollah, Iran and its nuclear program, North Korea and its nuclear program and its missiles, our record trade and budget deficits, a slowing economy and accelerating energy prices, you're probably feelin' right now 'bout like a gnat in a hailstorm. That's understandable.

But as Texans like us say, when you find yourself in a hole, first thing to do is quit diggin'. You got more than enough critics right now, and sure, every dog has its fleas. But you sure don't want folks to start pullin' for the fleas.

I don't mean any disrespect, Mr. President, and I do know you're the leader of the free world, but if you would, please look 'round and see just who's followin'."

toby
08-09-2006, 10:27 AM
It has no meaning at all. What are you trying to say? It is Bush's fault the there is Islamic hate?

toby
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
The primis of the statement is wrong to begin with, so any conclusion would also be wrong.

Jarod
08-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I love the quote... Bush needs to change his direction as he is still digging the hole deeper, and deeper!

toby
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
A better cliche would be "if your boats taking on water, don't stop bailing!"

Beefy
08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Indeed, W has really, really made the world a safer place. Yes he has, and if you want to argue against that, well then I'm putting my fingers in my ears and going "NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA!"

uscitizen
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
A better cliche would be "if your boats taking on water, don't stop bailing!"

You better not stop bailing, bush is still shooting holes in the boat.

maineman
08-09-2006, 10:43 AM
just look who's followin'. that is the point. Iraq has so ruined our credibility in the world that, regardless of how noble our intentions are about Norht Korea or Iran or Lebanon...regardless of how "correct" our suggested approaches to those issues might be, the rest of the world does not feel inclined to follow our lead anywhere.

Jarod
08-09-2006, 10:51 AM
If your boat is taking on water....

1) Stop raming Icebergs (change course)
2) Get to shore!

toby
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Not true Maine, the world has always resisted the American influence, nothing new here now or ever! We have a right and an obligation to do the right thing whether others agree or not.

LadyT
08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
just look who's followin'. that is the point. Iraq has so ruined our credibility in the world that, regardless of how noble our intentions are about Norht Korea or Iran or Lebanon...regardless of how "correct" our suggested approaches to those issues might be, the rest of the world does not feel inclined to follow our lead anywhere.

We are a laughing stock

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1821488,00.html

uscitizen
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM

You got that right!
Bush has blown decades worth of trust and alliances the USA had built up in the world.

toby
08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Bush has tried to reestablish our creditablitity. It was shot long ago by fake claims of interest and false promises. Bush stands by his words and is on point.

maineman
08-09-2006, 11:02 AM
one need only to look at the great alliances such as NATO, SEATO, Bush I's grand coalition.... hell...the UN, for crissakes.... they all were potent forces for good and we led those efforts. We are no longer leaders on the world stage, but something to laugh at or distrust

klaatu
08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
We are a laughing stock

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1821488,00.html

So as long as they criticise Bush ..they are the good guys? Since Putin is such a great guy ..how about we have him as our leader .. would you like that Lady T?

Look it, Bush has not been a good President ..Im willing to concede this point ... but to embrace every nut case out there just because they are critical of him is extremely naive on your part ....

Putin has his problems too ... wasnt this guy former KGB? yeah ..that always made me comfortable knowing that he leads one of the worlds powers....

maineman
08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
to point out that others find Bush a laughing stock is not synonymous with embracing them in their entirety.

toby
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Bush is consistant and stands by what he says. He advocates for America and that is bad in some peoples eyes.

LadyT
08-09-2006, 11:23 AM
So as long as they criticise Bush ..they are the good guys? Since Putin is such a great guy ..how about we have him as our leader ..

I'm instituting a new policy: Strawmen arguments get :nono: no responses

Putin has his problems too ... wasnt this guy former KGB? yeah ..that always made me comfortable knowing that he leads one of the worlds powers....

You managed two strawmen in one post. :nono:

toby
08-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Not a straw argument, you have to take sides. Do you agree with those who oppose American policy or not? If you do then who are these people and what do the believe? Nothing about it is a straw argument!

toby
08-09-2006, 11:31 AM
If you want to say that many oppose America then you have to ask why they oppose America and do you agree with them. Klaatu was just putting forth one of the opposing view points.

LadyT
08-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Not a straw argument, you have to take sides. Do you agree with those who oppose American policy or not? If you do then who are these people and what do the believe? Nothing about it is a straw argument!

One thing is for sure, you are toby. Sigh.......I'll try to splain it to you really really slow.

1) Maine and I were commenting on how Bush has made us the laughing stock of the international community and how we have little to no credibility left whatsoever.

2) Klaatu chimes in with "Since Putin is such a great guy......." implying I said or thought Putin was, "such a great guy" when I did nothing of the sort.

Classic strawman.

3) Next Klaatu's continues to bash Putin as if that were what I was talking about in the first place.

Care4all
08-09-2006, 12:02 PM
To tell ya the truth, I don't think many of the "we the people" are "really following" him these days, but it is too LATE...Bush and Co. have put in to place their "rule", their reign or even their Reich, if we are not careful...not that there is much we can do about it...they ignore laws congress writes and the constitution, and have put in place a Supreme Court to lean in their "thinking" of the unitary power of the president.... :(

klaatu
08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm instituting a new policy: Strawmen arguments get :nono: no responses

You managed two strawmen in one post. :nono:

no no no ... you dont get away that easy Lady T ... this strawman bullshit is just that ... dont have an answer just say strawman .... nope, sorry it doesnt work....

You pointed out that Putin article ... now justify it ...

klaatu
08-09-2006, 12:29 PM
To tell ya the truth, I don't think many of the "we the people" are "really following" him these days, but it is too LATE...Bush and Co. have put in to place their "rule", their reign or even their Reich, if we are not careful...not that there is much we can do about it...they ignore laws congress writes and the constitution, and have put in place a Supreme Court to lean in their "thinking" of the unitary power of the president.... :(

So ..lets dig up some negative quotes from Osama .. to support the Anti Bush cause ....

maineman
08-09-2006, 12:29 PM
again...one does not have to sleep with Putin to be in agreement with him regarding this issue

klaatu
08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Agreement with what? That he doesnt want a Democracy like Iraq .. or maybe what he really thinks ... like in terms of the good 'ol USSR ....
I dont trust that guy for a minute ...
and either should you..considering that Bush thinks that they are such great friends .. ;)

LadyT
08-09-2006, 12:36 PM
no no no ... you dont get away that easy Lady T ... this strawman bullshit is just that ... dont have an answer just say strawman .... nope, sorry it doesnt work....

Easy.

I said "we're a laughing stock"

From the article, "The remark, which raised a loud laugh from the assembled press pool,"

The fact that Putin said what he did wasn't the issue - the point of the argument was the joke we've become on the world stage. Pointing to the article of what happened was supposed to serve as a reminder of the laughter that erupted after putin said this during meeting. I'd expect most politically savvy people to understand that. But then again, you did vote for Bush, so I'm not surprised I have to spell it out.

klaatu
08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Easy.

I said "we're a laughing stock"

From the article, "The remark, which raised a loud laugh from the assembled press pool,"

The fact that Putin said what he did wasn't the issue - the point of the argument was the joke we've become on the world stage. Pointing to the article of what happened was supposed to serve as a reminder of the laughter that erupted after putin said this during meeting. I'd expect most politically savvy people to understand that. But then again, you did vote for Bush, so I'm not surprised I have to spell it out.

as well .. a politically savvy individual will also pay attention to who the messenger is ... as the old saying goes .. "those who live in glass houses ............... :cool:

LadyT
08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
as well .. a politically savvy individual will also pay attention to who the messenger is ... as the old saying goes .. "those who live in glass houses ............... :cool:

And who would that messenger be? The world press that laughs at us? yes. I paid attention.

klaatu
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
And who would that messenger be? The world press that laughs at us? yes. I paid attention.

Wow .. the world press (those wonderful Government subsidized entities) laughs at George W Bush ... what a surprise ...

Lets put the shoe on the other foot .. what if GW mocked Putin along the same line....

Would those same wonderful Government subsidized entities that you like to call The World Press .. laugh or would they rip into 'ol GW's behind for being a bit tacky ...
And would Lady T be posting here about Russia's lack of integrity on the world stage or would she be posting on the tackiness of GW Bush?

LadyT
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow .. the world press (those wonderful Government subsidized entities) laughs at George W Bush ... what a surprise ...

Lets put the shoe on the other foot .. what if GW mocked Putin along the same line....

Would those same wonderful Government subsidized entities that you like to call The World Press .. laugh or would they rip into 'ol GW's behind for being a bit tacky ...
And would Lady T be posting here about Russia's lack of integrity on the world stage or would she be posting on the tackiness of GW Bush?

I don't have a crystal ball. But why don't you tell me how you know I'd act. I'd prefer to deal with the hear and now, rather than fantasy hypotheticals on what I would or wouldn't do if it had it been Putin being laughed at or how the press might have responded had the comment come from Bush. I don't know. I don't pretend to know. I do however know the credibility we have when it comes to bringing about peace and democracy is laughable as exampled at the G8 summit.

Cypress
08-09-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't have a crystal ball. But why don't you tell me how you know I'd act. I'd prefer to deal with the hear and now, rather than fantasy hypotheticals on what I would or wouldn't do if it had it been Putin being laughed at or how the press might have responded had the comment come from Bush. I don't know. I don't pretend to know. I do however know the credibility we have when it comes to bringing about peace and democracy is laughable as exampled at the G8 summit.

Thats the bottome line isn't it? Bush is a laughing stock, with no credibility. Noboby wants to follow him. He's not a leader.

Clinton, Poppy Bush, Nixon, and Reagan were all treated as leaders, respected, and followed to a great extent. Reagan was thought of as a clown at first, but by his sixth year in office he had earned the grudging respect of western and russian leaders.

LadyT
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Thats the bottome line isn't it? Bush is a laughing stock, with no credibility. Noboby wants to follow him. He's not a leader.

Clinton, Poppy Bush, Nixon, and Reagan were all treated as leaders, respected, and followed to a great extent. Reagan was thought of as a clown at first, but by his sixth year in office he had earned the grudging respect of western and russian leaders.

{Sigh.......} yes. C'est tres vrai. :(

FUCK THE POLICE
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm no huge fan of Lou, but I thought this was great:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/08/dobbs.august9/index.html

"Now what with the war in Iraq, the war in Afghanistan, Israel battling Hezbollah, Iran and its nuclear program, North Korea and its nuclear program and its missiles, our record trade and budget deficits, a slowing economy and accelerating energy prices, you're probably feelin' right now 'bout like a gnat in a hailstorm. That's understandable.

But as Texans like us say, when you find yourself in a hole, first thing to do is quit diggin'. You got more than enough critics right now, and sure, every dog has its fleas. But you sure don't want folks to start pullin' for the fleas.

I don't mean any disrespect, Mr. President, and I do know you're the leader of the free world, but if you would, please look 'round and see just who's followin'."

He forgot to heil hitler and yell "death to immigrants and foreigners"! Odd.

Jarod
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
If I hate Hitler and Castro hated Hitler, that does not make me friends with Castro...

If I dislike Bush's policies and Putin dislikes Bush's policies... it does not make me friends with Putin..

LadyT
08-09-2006, 07:02 PM
He forgot to heil hitler and yell "death to immigrants and foreigners"! Odd.

Like I said, I'm no big fan, however even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

zoombwaz
08-09-2006, 09:47 PM

Actually, while I didn't see a straw man in her second example, the first definitely was.

LadyT
08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Actually, while I didn't see a straw man in her second example, the first definitely was.

"Putin has his problems too ... wasnt this guy former KGB? yeah ..that always made me comfortable knowing that he leads one of the worlds powers...."

Here, he's inferring that I don't acknowledge Putin has problems and that I'm comfortable with Putin in power. That isn't that case all. The point of my argument was centered around the mockery Bush has made of us. Not my opinions of Putin.

OrnotBitwise
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
"Putin has his problems too ... wasnt this guy former KGB? yeah ..that always made me comfortable knowing that he leads one of the worlds powers...."

Here, he's inferring that I don't acknowledge Putin has problems and that I'm comfortable with Putin in power. That isn't that case all. The point of my argument was centered around the mockery Bush has made of us. Not my opinions of Putin.
You're either with us or against us, LadyT. If you ain't for Bush then you have to be for Putin! Now, which is it? Come on: time's a-wastin'.

uscitizen
08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
ROFLMAO

Good one Ornot.

LadyT
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
You're either with us or against us, LadyT. If you ain't for Bush then you have to be for Putin! Now, which is it? Come on: time's a-wastin'.

you got me. I'm a putin sympathesizer. My bedroom is filled with Putin posters.

Somewhat funny and completely unrelated story:

When I lived in France a Turkish friend of mine was in class with a Russian guy. They were having a political discussion and the Russian guy was talking about the Turkish gov't pretty badly so just to irk the Russian guy off, he slightly altered the pronunciation of Putin, to "putain" which is French for
"b!tch". That really got to him. I always think of that story when I hear Putin's name.