PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Tonight 3/19/2011

Damocles
03-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I will be shutting the site down for an upgrade tonight, around 11:00 PM MDT. I will not be turning it back on until the upgrade is done, which will take some time as this is a major software change, as well as the fact that I need to perform mods to the software so that the site will function as we are used to it functioning.

This has taken much of my time setting up, as you can tell by my general absence for the past two weeks or so. I was hoping that I could do it quickly and sneakily and thus surprise people. But that isn't happening. This is going to take some time no matter what I do.

I hope you enjoy the new board styles and capabilities. Once it is done I expect full feedback from y'all.

:D

Guns Guns Guns
03-20-2011, 08:18 AM
It looks very different, all green.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 08:40 AM
It is very different. This is the new suite. You'll see more changes come on board as the day goes on. This is going to be a long process.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Of course you can change the skin by using the box at the bottom or setting your own default skin in your general settings.

Guns Guns Guns
03-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks. Very nice.

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Once it is done I expect full feedback from y'all.

1. Smilies don't work.
2. I get a notification of a new rep comment.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
1. Smilies don't work.
2. I get a notification of a new rep comment.

The smilies should work.. They worked on the test site. :dunno:

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 11:29 AM
The smilies should work.. They worked on the test site. :dunno: Let's try again: :palm:

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Nope. They don't even show up in the "advanced" reply screen. I'm using Mozilla Firefox, latest revision.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Yah, me too. I'll figure it out. And you won't be getting any reputation notices anymore.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh... I know why... Hold on.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Working... :D

Damocles
03-20-2011, 12:13 PM
:foreveralone:

Rationalist
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
IMO, one thing that would help is setting the vB4 Default Style as, well, the default style.

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 02:07 PM
:palm:

1. Works now. The default smileys are lame.

2. Still getting the rep notification.

3. What's the "page" icon on the top left of every post. Hover over it and it says "default".

BRUTALITOPS
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
IMO, one thing that would help is setting the vB4 Default Style as, well, the default style.

brent you and I are on the same page when it comes to design ;)

BUT that said, I do like the green theme better

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
"remember me" doesn't remember me.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 03:04 PM
"remember me" doesn't remember me.

Clean out your old cookies.

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Clean out your old cookies.

I did, then logged on and ax'd it to remember me, logged out, then logged in and I still had to enter my password.

Damocles
03-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I did, then logged on and ax'd it to remember me, logged out, then logged in and I still had to enter my password.

When you log out it clears your cookies. "Remember Me" only works if you just close the browser or navigate away to a different page. If you log out, you will always have to log back in.

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 03:22 PM
When you log out it clears your cookies. "Remember Me" only works if you just close the browser or navigate away to a different page. If you log out, you will always have to log back in.:palm:

Cancel 2018. 3
03-20-2011, 03:43 PM
i like it, i'm using the dark version...sweeeeet!

tinfoil
03-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Yah, me too. I'll figure it out. And you won't be getting any reputation notices anymore.

Why? that was great feature? I enjoyed knowing who liked or disliked my comments. Can you enable it? Or at least enable the list of reps again. It was a fun part of the site to-- me anyaway.

tinfoil
03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
BTW i like the new quotes. looks great

Cancel 2018. 3
03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
when i hit the "reply" button, there is an annoying delay between me hitting the keyboard and seeing the text on the screen. just replying in this box, its still a little slow, but not so bad that i'm three or four words ahead of myself like the reply button. reply with quote doesn't have that issue. just wondering if anyone else has that issue. i have 12mb download speed, so that isn't the issue. could be the new software needs work....damo?

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
2. Rep notification fixed.

Cancel 2018. 3
03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
damo:

i do like your upgrades.....except for.....

1. site is slower
2. smilies are smaller and look fuzzy on my screen (24 inch hdmi, 1080p) thank goodness i'm not on the living room computer.
3. slow, tyuping is lsow <-- dthat, i just typed too fast for this new upgrade and it causes me to screw up, because i delete before i see the word is typed ok.
4. i actually do miss the old blue forum look.

speaking of smilies....where are they? i see them, but not in the quick reply.....

DamnYankee
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
The smilies are lame. I'm surprised though that Damo has abandoned libertarianism and joined the green movement.

Lowaicue
03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
The smilies are lame. I'm surprised though that Damo has abandoned libertarianism and joined the green movement.

You can ditch the green. Default is nice.

christiefan915
03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Green's my favorite color but I found it hard to read, so changed to the default. Board seems a little slow also. Other than that, :good4u:

Damocles
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Why? that was great feature? I enjoyed knowing who liked or disliked my comments. Can you enable it? Or at least enable the list of reps again. It was a fun part of the site to-- me anyaway.

You'll still get those, just not reputation notices. I don't use the reputation feature, it was automatically turned on by the upgrade. I've shut that off.

Minister of Truth
03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I prefer to be able to see who likes and dislikes posts here within the thread. I also wish you would switch the listings in our control panels from post numbers to the names of the threads the way it used to be.

Minister of Truth
03-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Also, the old :+D was one of my favorite avatars to use, and not only is it gone, but the :D blows entirely. Bring it back!!

Furthermore, can you ban Generic just for fun? :cof1:

Damocles
03-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I prefer to be able to see who likes and dislikes posts here within the thread. I also wish you would switch the listings in our control panels from post numbers to the names of the threads the way it used to be.

Yeah,I prefer that too, however I have to use what is available right now. Unfortunately the Groan/Thanks hacks that they "upgraded" didn't work together, one could groan and thank a post. Each time one of these were done they sent a query to the database which caused slowdowns.

Once those are fixed I'll redo them. Had I known about the problem beforehand I would have waited a bit longer for the upgrade, but as it is... It's done.

Damocles
03-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Testing some smilies... :D

Jarod
03-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice!

DamnYankee
03-21-2011, 07:11 AM
:) Meh, acceptable.

Canceled1
03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
The facebook connect thing is a PIA as it plants itself right where you put your sign in name. Change, as usual, will take some getting use to. Thanks for all your hard work at trying to make this a better place!

Damocles
03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
What I most feared was the fact that they were no longer going to upgrade the older version I used, this meant I would only get security updates, and those only secondary to this new version of the software. Because of that, and because most of my mods had appeared to transfer (unfortunately many appeared to have done so, but aren't working right on this newest version), I decided to go with it.

It will take a bit of time to get this correct, but it will get there. I think the skins themselves are far better than most of the skins I had on the older version.

tinfoil
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I think you got rid of the best feature you had going. The coolest part of this site was rep listing. It was a great chance for the opposite sides to show support for their opponents when they agreed. Now is just a faceless tally. Lame. Too bad

Damocles
03-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I think you got rid of the best feature you had going. The coolest part of this site was rep listing. It was a great chance for the opposite sides to show support for their opponents when they agreed. Now is just a faceless tally. Lame. Too bad

Well, I didn't choose to "get rid" of it. It just didn't work with the newest upgrade even though it said it would. Once they get it upgraded I'll add it back... I honestly wouldn't have upgraded if I didn't think it would be there.

:(

Minister of Truth
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Testing some smilies... :D

Thank goodness! :D

Damocles
03-21-2011, 07:13 PM
In an attempt to revive the social groups I have added a mod that will add notifications to new posts in the social groups.

DamnYankee
03-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Multi-quote doesn't seem to work.

Damocles
03-21-2011, 07:46 PM

In an attempt to revive the social groups I have added a mod that will add notifications to new posts in the social groups.

Testing. When you click it, you get a neato checkmark. It worked for me.

Damocles
03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Testing. When you click it, you get a neato checkmark. It worked for me.

Testing in default skin...

Damocles
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
And in darkened skin...

Damocles
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
And in darkened skin...

test

Damocles
03-22-2011, 04:10 AM
I've added a couple new skins. One is image intensive, it is a pro skin. If y'all like it enough I'll purchase the license and remove their copyright and links at the bottom. If not, I'll see what I can do to make a decent brown choice. The other is another attempt by me to create something decent, but it likely is unpleasing... They aren't my favorite colors and I'm trying to please somebody's eye other than mine. (I like the Green skin).

Lowaicue
03-22-2011, 04:39 AM
I've added a couple new skins. One is image intensive, it is a pro skin. If y'all like it enough I'll purchase the license and remove their copyright and links at the bottom. If not, I'll see what I can do to make a decent brown choice. The other is another attempt by me to create something decent, but it likely is unpleasing... They aren't my favorite colors and I'm trying to please somebody's eye other than mine. (I like the Green skin).

Damned Okles, you are doing a good job. If these tossers dont like it tell them to go elsewhere.

Buddha
03-22-2011, 05:43 AM
I've added the thanks hack, however the groans hack is acting up. I'll leave it there, but the rep notifier doesn't appear to work for groans for some reason.

Damocles
03-22-2011, 05:45 AM
No, on second thought, the groans hack messes up other parts of the user postbit. For now, all we'll have is thanks until I can figure that out.

Damocles
03-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Sweet. I figured it out, it's working now. I can't integrate them like I used to so you can both thank and groan a post. However, I'd like y'all to consider that it takes a dbase query every time you thank or groan a post and don't go all thanking and groaning every post you see.

DamnYankee
03-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Sweet. I figured it out, it's working now. I can't integrate them like I used to so you can both thank and groan a post. However, I'd like y'all to consider that it takes a dbase query every time you thank or groan a post and don't go all thanking and groaning every post you see.

3D and his buddies just got spanked.

DamnYankee
03-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Nope, multi-quote doesn't work for me. I'm in JPDefault Style.

Damocles
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know what is going on with your machine, dude. I've tested it in every skin we have and it worked. Try using the back button then the forward button on your browser before selecting the multi-quote. This will often "trick" the javascript on your machine into working when it is stumped or stuck.

Damocles
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
testing again in the default skin.

Another thing you can do is go to another skin temporarily, then right back. This will often reset the java as well.

Damocles
03-22-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't know what is going on with your machine, dude. I've tested it in every skin we have and it worked. Try using the back button then the forward button on your browser before selecting the multi-quote. This will often "trick" the javascript on your machine into working when it is stumped or stuck.

Nope, multi-quote doesn't work for me. I'm in JPDefault Style.

test, test. This is a test of the multi-quote system. This is only a test. Had this been an actual multi-quote you would have learned something valuable from this post.

Damocles
03-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I think I may have the thanks/groans integrated now.

DamnYankee
03-22-2011, 02:37 PM
test, test. This is a test of the multi-quote system. This is only a test. Had this been an actual multi-quote you would have learned something valuable from this post.

I think I may have the thanks/groans integrated now.

Working now. I didn't have to "trick" anything. :good4u:

Damocles
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Sweet.

Minister of Truth
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm going with Grey for now...

Buddha
03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Throwing out a few test posts...

Buddha
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
test

Damocles
03-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I give up for now... Aguh...

Minister of Truth
03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
It just sucks that much :D

Damocles
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I'll figure it out. I am sure that I have one variable mistyped somewhere that will fix it.... Aguh...

Damocles
03-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I think it is working. Report all groans/thanks errors to me, please....

Damocles
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
BTW - I had to remove all groans after I completed it, this was due to the dbase errors my variable mismatch caused. Sorry about the inconvenience... Man, that took some fricking effort. One variable string with an "s" where there shouldn't be (groans instead of groan) and another template string missing "s" where it should have been... I have a headache.

Minister of Truth
03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Well, here's to getting started again on the groans. :clink:

Damocles
03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
It was brought to my attention that since the upgrade about 3 months worth of posts are missing from the search index. The posts exists, but searches don't find them. I'm therefore rebuilding the search index. This is server intensive, and takes some time. So, while that is running the board will be a bit slower than usual. (as if all my on the fly changes haven't been doing that lately anyway).

Canceled2
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
It was brought to my attention that since the upgrade about 3 months worth of posts are missing from the search index. The posts exists, but searches don't find them. I'm therefore rebuilding the search index. This is server intensive, and takes some time. So, while that is running the board will be a bit slower than usual. (as if all my on the fly changes haven't been doing that lately anyway).

I vote that's an extreme waste of time~

I mean really this place is like a soap opera-go away for any amount of time and voila` you can dial right back in and it's as if you've never been away ;)

Annie
03-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Just dropped in and found all the new! Very nice, Damocles. I like the lighter feel.

Damocles
03-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Just dropped in and found all the new! Very nice, Damocles. I like the lighter feel.

I'm trying to stick with the "plain" in the title, at least for the default page.