PDA

View Full Version : If I had been SR....

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-24-2006, 05:15 AM
For starters, and probably most obvious, If I had been SR, I wouldn't have been "Dixie". Now, this sounds rather simplistic at first glance, but let me explain. I would have refrained from being the character you commonly know as Dixie on the board. I don't think a good board Administrator can afford to compromise his trust with posters, by being overly-opinionated, inflammatory or controversial. I think you need to be neutral, or as neutral as you can, so as to maintain a presence of fairness to all, and sense of true impartiality. This is not to say it can't be done otherwise, indeed it can, but a biased and opinionated Administrator will always have a problem with people who will question integrity. The trust is never fully developed, because you don't really know people on the internet. A good Administrator will maintain the trust by displaying a 'vanilla' style in posting, not taking a definitive side on things, and demonstrating an impartial and objective attitude on the board.

The next thing, if I had been SR, I wouldn't have had such Big Plans. I would have simply understood that what I established was because of my love for debate and administering or tinkering with message boards, and I wouldn't have seen it as anything more than something I did for the fun of doing it. From Day One, SR envisioned his site as some sort of Cash Cow. I think he still believes he will one day have this Great Empire like e-Bay or something, and nothing more to do than spend his vast wealth and make occasional appearances on Leno. He was fortunate enough to be given a modest core of good regular posters, on which he could have grown into something substantial and strong. He continues to squander that opportunity, in his lust for control and misunderstanding of what he owns and doesn't own.

Had I been SR, I would have embraced and welcomed criticism and suggestions from my visitors. Something profoundly magic happens when a business shows its customer, it really listens to their needs and wants. Something profoundly devastating consequently happens when a business is tone-deaf to customer needs and wants, particularly if there are other options available for the service. In an ever-evolving society of competitive ideas, it's important to keep an open mind, and understand the consumer of your product, paying close attention to what they desire. SR insisted on doing just the opposite, he saw criticism as insult, and suggestions as a challenge to his personal control.

If I were SR, I would have realized how my posters were both, my biggest asset and biggest liability. They can literally make or break what I have. Each person who takes their time to participate in what I have built, can also act as a huge advertising billboard for my site. They might tell as many as dozens of other people about the site, encourage people to join, help to spread the word. Or, they might be so turned off by the experience, they will spread vehement negative publicity, and stigmatize the site completely. Either way, much has to do with how the Administrator views his posters, and how much consideration they have for the value of image, and most important aspects of word-of-mouth marketing.

Finally, If I had been SR, I would have been honest with those who put their trust in me. If the board was established with only one rule, and in time, it was determined that more rules were needed, I would have been honest and open with the board about that, and changed the policies without reluctance to admit I was in error. I would not have felt a need to form a facade to hide behind, in the form of a 'security council', and insist this was some sort of legitimate way to enforce new rules rather than assuming that responsibility of Administration myself, and admitting my original assessments were lacking.

Alas, I am not SR, and have no desire to start my own board. It is a shame to see such a good opportunity go down the tubes for him, and I hope this might serve as a life lesson in some way, but I don't hold out hope for that. SR is an extremely stubborn and arrogant man. He lacks the integrity and mental strength to ever accomplish anything of greatness, as he is too caught up in himself. Whether Damo is any better Administrator than SR remains to be seen. I suppose, only time will tell, and I certainly think it would be hard for Damo to ass it up as badly as SR did. Nevertheless, there are 159,999,998 more options for political forums on the internet, according to Google, so it's not going to be the end of the world if this place is no different.

maineman
07-24-2006, 05:44 AM
I would hope you keep looking elsewhere

DigitalDave
07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
I would hope you keep looking elsewhere

Why don't you both stop :pke: and instead :clink:

Damocles
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM

I think that one is "ignoring" the other. So it won't really matter...

maineman
07-24-2006, 09:17 AM

I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

DigitalDave
07-24-2006, 10:00 AM

What if I played "Can you feel the love tonight" by Elton John?

Damocles
07-24-2006, 10:01 AM
What if I played "Can you feel the love tonight" by Elton John?

Then we would all go into a diabetic attack from the high dose of sweetness from an unexpected source...

tinfoil
07-24-2006, 01:22 PM

why don't you go back to fullLAMEotics and post with Deshbot. We don't need you dragging old fights here. This site is for fun and entertainment. If you want serious debate(LOL) go back to SR's joke of a site. Go post with Deshbot and Crypiss.

TheDanold
07-24-2006, 01:33 PM
why don't you go back to fullLAMEotics and post with Deshbot. We don't need you dragging old fights here. This site is for fun and entertainment. If you want serious debate(LOL) go back to SR's joke of a site. Go post with Deshbot and Crypiss.
Crypiss? Is that you stir?

robdastud
07-24-2006, 01:45 PM
dano its good to meet up w/ you again, how come you never u2u'd me before or something? was wondering what happened to you.

this is for holyrollers:321:

Care4all
07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
it's gotta be stirfry imo!

i love guessing! hahaha!

my hours and hours on fullpolitics has paid off! hahaha!

am i right? stirfry?

tinfoil
07-24-2006, 02:47 PM
ding ding ding ding

BRUTALITOPS
09-02-2006, 07:30 PM
obviously it's stirfry.

Stirfry is the man.

OrnotBitwise
09-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I think that one is "ignoring" the other. So it won't really matter...
I think I'm going to Ignore myself. That way I don't have to look at my own posts: no second thoughts.

Very Zen, don't you think?

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I think I'm going to Ignore myself. That way I don't have to look at my own posts: no second thoughts.

Very Zen, don't you think?

Hell, I thought that was your whole purpose in posting, so you could read what you typed... we sure as hell aren't paying any attention to what you have to say!

Care4all
09-03-2006, 08:05 AM
dixie, i said the same thing directly in a one on one posting with sr and all he could answer with was an insult about me knowing nothing cuz i was just a housewife....the hell with my twenty something successful career in marketing... arrogance has set him back, temporarily....i feel that he did ruin a ''good thing'', thru his lack of diplomacy and lack of management skills and experience....he may still be able to salvage his site if he heeds his previous mistakes though....at least imo.

as the saying goes, one person's loss is another person's gain! :)

Dixie - In Memoriam
09-03-2006, 08:49 AM
dixie, i said the same thing directly in a one on one posting with sr and all he could answer with was an insult about me knowing nothing cuz i was just a housewife....the hell with my twenty something successful career in marketing... arrogance has set him back, temporarily....i feel that he did ruin a ''good thing'', thru his lack of diplomacy and lack of management skills and experience....he may still be able to salvage his site if he heeds his previous mistakes though....at least imo.

as the saying goes, one person's loss is another person's gain! :)

Well, I doubt SR ever has anything successful, he lacks the 'people skills' required to make it happen. The insult he directed at you, is a prime example. The only people who didn't receive a helping of SR insults, were the ones following him around like pups, licking his boots, telling him what a great and wonderful guy he was.

The thing that bothered me the most, was his arrogance and attitude about 'ownership' of 'his property'. I understand, it's his software and servers, but the community that made his site special, were not 'owned' by SR. He also had this arrogant hypocrisy about his rules, and yes I said rules, he had plenty, they just weren't written down and posted, and they simply didn't apply to His Majesty.

I'll tell you what kind of person I am... If you ask me to do something for you, I will do everything I can to try and do what you've asked, but if you tell me to do something, you can hang it up and wait for hell to freeze over. SR is finding out, it's a long wait.