PDA

View Full Version : Dixie's Greatest Song of All-Time Contest!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Okay, sorry Waterhead, your "Best Song Ever" thing is a flop. I had to do this myself, just to satisfy my curiosity of what is really the Greatest Song of All-Time. I feel so confident in my system, I will publicly issue the challenge right now, whatever song I end up with, against whatever song you end up with, for the All-Time Greatest Bestest Song Ever! :P

Here are the rules:

1. Each person can nominate 3 songs. They must be listed in one single post, and in order of priority.

2. To qualify for the final round, a song must be nominated in at least two people's list. This represents an initial nomination, and a second.

3. Nominations will be complete, when we have at least 10 qualified songs. Those will be the songs eligible for Greatest Song of All-Time, and an open poll will be established for final voting and results.

Let the nominations begin....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 07:00 AM
1. Yesterday- The Beatles
2. Stairway to Heaven- Led Zepplin
3. Wild Horses- The Rolling Stones

klaatu
08-07-2006, 07:11 AM
In Waters contest I had The Beatles Nowareman .... its tough to single out any one Beatle Song ... In this list I nominate

The Beatles "A Day in the Life"

Simon and Garfunkels "Sound of Silence"

Al Stewarts "The Year of the Cat"

robdastud
08-07-2006, 07:34 AM
i only listen to gospel music. Amy Grant is a huge fan of mine.

klaatu
08-07-2006, 07:40 AM

You have about as much depth as a mouse on the Hollywood Diet ....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 10:28 PM

I only listen to rock-n-roll, that's why it's important to nominate three songs. It's okay rob, I promise not to make fun of you when you nominate Elton John or the Village People!

:D

Damocles
08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
1. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
2. One - Metallica
3. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
3. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

1st qualifier for the finals!

Beefy
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Flesh and Blood - Johnny Cash
Lenny - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ruben's Train - Leftover Salmon Live at HORDE 1994 (You gotta hear this to appreciate it, if music ever was a language, a dialogue, the lead in this represents it).

FUCK THE POLICE
08-08-2006, 05:56 AM
You're an idiot, you're process sucks.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-08-2006, 05:58 AM
The reason I chose my process was because it was a bit interesting.

Yours is just an open poll.

That's stupid. What's the fun in that.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
The reason I chose my process was because it was a bit interesting.

Yours is just an open poll.

That's stupid. What's the fun in that.

It's more fun and interesting than voting between Nirvana and Tool for best song ever! You could at least participate, I played nice, I voted on yours. I am sorry I am just cooler than you, but that's no reason to hate me.

Hey... My thread has stars! :D

DigitalDave
08-08-2006, 07:32 AM
1. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Darude - Sandstorm
3. Bloodhound Gang - Fire, Water, Burn

Care4all
08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
1. kansas- carry on my wayward son

2. queen- bohemian rhapsody

3. don mclean- american pie

klaatu
08-08-2006, 08:56 AM
In Waters contest I had The Beatles Nowareman .... its tough to single out any one Beatle Song ... In this list I nominate

The Beatles "A Day in the Life"

Simon and Garfunkels "Sound of Silence"

Al Stewarts "The Year of the Cat"

:cof1:

Care4all
08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
i was gonna list a day in the life for the beatles but this was such a hard call, cuz I think yesterday is pretty fantastic too.... :), i also think the eagle's hotel california is awesome, and Sting's Crystal Ball, and Bread's- IF...gees...this is much harder than you would think, so I went with the best awesome songs I could think of and then pulled out the ones that were way above the others in musical genius and with a complicated score/ or story....

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 10:00 AM

Dixie, how can someone as clearly as insane as yourself have such good music taste?

Cypress
08-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Dixie, how can someone as clearly as insane as yourself have such good music taste?

Embarrasing. The uber-nationalist Dixie puts up only nominations from British bands.

Not even a nod to great american bands like Creedence Clearwater, The Eagles, or the Beach Boys.

Cypress
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Embarrasing. The uber-nationalist Dixie puts up only nominations from British bands.

Not even a nod to great american bands like Creedence Clearwater, The Eagles, or the Beach Boys.

I'll be the loyal american:

1) "Green River" - Creedence Clearwater
2) "Take it Easy" - The Eagles
3) "Good Vibrations" - Beach Boys

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Three best US tunes:

Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone
Bob Dylan - All along the Watchtower
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody becomes the second qualifier. Am I missing any others? ...Great songs being mentioned, by the way.

evince
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Under the bridge: the red hot chili peppers

In my Room: Beach boys

How can I miss you when you wont go away: Dan Hicks and his hot licks

DigitalDave
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
C'mon, someone second Fire, Water, Burn! That song is a classic, whether it has a lot of meaning to it or not. How many songs quote it now-a-days?

"The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on fire. We don't need no water let the mother fucker burn. Burn mother fucker...Burn."

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
C'mon, someone second Fire, Water, Burn! That song is a classic, whether it has a lot of meaning to it or not. How many songs quote it now-a-days?

"The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on fire. We don't need no water let the mother fucker burn. Burn mother fucker...Burn."

Dave, it's a great song, and I can tell you, there are at least a dozen songs I personally like better than the 3 I nominated, but I am thinking in terms of true greatness as a song, and what most people would generally recognize as a truly great song. ...I mean, c'mon now... you've got 'All Along the Watchtower' still out there... how can that even be rationally compared to Fire, Water, Burn!?

DigitalDave
08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Dave, it's a great song, and I can tell you, there are at least a dozen songs I personally like better than the 3 I nominated, but I am thinking in terms of true greatness as a song, and what most people would generally recognize as a truly great song. ...I mean, c'mon now... you've got 'All Along the Watchtower' still out there... how can that even be rationally compared to Fire, Water, Burn!?

Dixie! How dare you belittle my song with the likes of 'All along the Watchtower'. If Bob Dylan added this to his song:

"Hello my name is Bob Dylan and I'm a dumb white guy,
I'm not old or new but middle school fifth grade like junior high
I don't know mofo if y'all peeps be
buggin' given props to my ho cause she all fly
But I can take the heat cause I'm the
other white meat known as 'Kid Funky Fried'
Yeah I'm hung like the planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always stroking my own wookie
I'm the root of all that's evil yea but you can call me cookie "

It would be almost as good as Fire, Water, Burn...

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I see your point Dave... that's really a work of art!

....too bad I already wasted my votes on sappy old Brit Band love songs!

DigitalDave
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I see your point Dave... that's really a work of art!

....too bad I already wasted my votes on sappy old Brit Band love songs!

It's ok Dix, we all have our softer side. Even Rednecks like yourself. :pke:

Sissy... :help:

FUCK THE POLICE
08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
You're slightly right, Dixie. You've got far more and far higher quality nominations. I think my saying that anyone could nominate anything kind of lowered the bar for nominations and turned some people off from posting because they thought they'd have to post 12.

But there was an important reason I chose my system... it has a property called "cloneproofness". Adding or subtracting simialar songs that simialar people like won't hurt or help in my system. In your system, if I had 10 heavy metal songs and 1 Pop song the pop song would most certainly win. Not because people dislike heavy metal more, but because your voting system assumes that all preferences are split evenly and sharply apart, which they aren't.

This is why most "best ever" things like this that use a process simialar to the one I put up, with head to head comparisons, or give people more than one vote. Otherwise the poll spits out nonsensical results because there's so many options.

But I also wanted to make my poll interesting. I could've just made all of you rank the choices, send it to a server that does Condorcet voting, and gotten more accurate results faster. I just wanted people to think about the options and I wanted it to be more fun, which is what the process is about.

Hey, I'm the voting systems expert here...

FUCK THE POLICE
08-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Dang, Dixie. You and I line up perfectly musicly.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-08-2006, 05:12 PM
1. Hallejulah, Leonard Cohen
2. ACDC, Back in Black
3. Metallica, fade to black

I hate heavy metal songs, so I'm going to exploit your system vote splitting flaw here.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
1. Hallejulah, Leonard Cohen
2. ACDC, Back in Black
3. Metallica, fade to black

I hate heavy metal songs, so I'm going to exploit your system vote splitting flaw here.

That's cool, I used my vote to exploit a system flaw myself today! ;) It makes you feel good when you do something worthwhile on principle now and then, doesn't it?

As for the contest, I am mostly just picking on you to be an ass, nothing personal. I actually think your top picks have a real shot to qualify, Fade to Black by Metallica might be weak, since they weren't the original artist... but then, Dylan's Along the Watchtower might qualify via the Hendrix version, it's the song itself. That's one of the reasons I picked Yesterday, it is the most widely recorded songs of all-time.

And I am sure, neither of us will have the exclusive on "best song" threads here, some other pinhead will get bored and post one again next month, because these things are just kind of fun to do.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-10-2006, 06:57 AM
bump

Goodlookingfundamentalist
08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
1. Looking For The Perfect Beat- Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force

2. You Really Got Me Now- The Kinks

3. Like a Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan

And honorable mention goes to...The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down- The Band

TheDanold
08-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Hotel California - Eagles
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Heaven Beside You - Alice in Chains

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Becomes the third song to qualify for the finals. Seven more spots to go! Some great songs have already been nominated and await a second mention! Keep in mind, we are focusing on songs, not artists, and it is possible to have a song make it to the finals under two different artists. Will we have one of those songs to qualify? The suspense continues.....

Final Qualifiers thus-far:

1. Stairway to Heaven
2. Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Under the Bridge

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Here is an update on the songs currently nominated, and awaiting a second nomination to qualify for the final round.

(bold indicates a qualified song.)

Yesterday- The Beatles
Stairway to Heaven- Led Zepplin
Wild Horses- The Rolling Stones
A Day in the Life - The Beatles
Sound of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel
The Year of the Cat- Al Stewarts
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
One - Metallica
Ruben's Train -
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
Sandstorm- Darude
Fire, Water, Burn- Bloodhound Gang
Carry on my Wayward Son- Kansas
American pie- don mclean
Green River- Creedence Clearwater
Take it Easy- The Eagles
Good Vibrations- Beach Boys
Hanging on the Telephone- Blondie
All along the Watchtower- Bob Dylan
Ring of Fire- Johnny Cash
Under the bridge- the red hot chili peppers
In my Room- Beach boys
How can I miss you when you wont go away-Dan Hicks
Hallejulah- Leonard Cohen
Back in Black- ACDC
fade to black- Metallica
Looking For The Perfect Beat -Affrika
You Really Got Me Now- The Kinks
Like a Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan

If you haven't cast your vote, please make sure to consider the current contenders in your selections. I'm going to give it a little more time, in case some have just not gotten around to it yet, but I might alter the system a little, and allow those who have already voted, to cast a 'second' second vote, just so we can fill out the list for the final poll. I will be patient and give it until next Saturday, then we will consider the alternate plans for final nominations.

Come on folks, I know we have some music lovers out there!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-12-2006, 10:57 PM
bump

Beefy
08-12-2006, 11:26 PM
The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash

You missed that one.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-13-2006, 12:10 AM
The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash

You missed that one.

it hasn't been nominated in my contest, that was H2O's. sorry

charver
08-13-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm not going to pick a winner unless we are suddenly deluged with fellow Britishers surfing a massive wave of parochialism. So, i adopt the role of the Earl of Essex, some say kingmaker.

As long as Bohemian bleddy Rhapsody doesn't win, i'll be content.

Care4all
08-13-2006, 06:14 AM
As long as Bohemian bleddy Rhapsody doesn't win, i'll be content.

hahahaha! But why? It is genius level....a very well writen score....opera of sorts...

yeah, okay, its not rock n roll for certain but still genius imho, I mean...this sucker had all that music in his head and wrote it down....hahahaha ....that deserves some credit... :)

I was going to pick "A day in the Life" myself for number one....but I figured a thousand others would too so.... :(

care

charver
08-13-2006, 07:14 AM
It's just that every radio station, music magazine and tv network in the land runs a 'best/favourite single' poll and it always ends up with Bohemian Rhapsody or Imagine coming out on top.

I just hate both of them.

If any justification is required then i submit Brian May's hair. Although, at first glance, having little to do with the actual track, its unearthly presence oozes out of the disc, subliminally frightening dogs and small children. The epitomy of evil.

klaatu
08-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Care .. You want to listen to an Rock Opera of sorts ? how about "The Loneliest Of Creatures " by Klaatu .... click on this... and enjoy ...

http://www.klaatu.org/samples/mpeg/hope/lonelies.mp3

Care4all
08-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Care .. You want to listen to an Rock Opera of sorts ? how about "The Loneliest Of Creatures " by Klaatu .... click on this... and enjoy ...

http://www.klaatu.org/samples/mpeg/hope/lonelies.mp3

ok, will do!

Care4all
08-13-2006, 07:30 AM
oh! it's great K!

klaatu
08-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I figured you'd like it ... :clink:

Goodlookingfundamentalist
08-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Back in May the British selected "Bohemian Rhapsody" as their "favorite single of all time." Now they've done it again, with "BoRhap" taking top honors in the Official UK Charts Company Top 50 #1 Singles of the last 50 years. Allow me to say that I despise "Bohemian Rhopsody" with a fervor that makes me want to crush something, anything British. How perverse can one nation be?

I HATE every possible aspect of that song: from the nonsensical pretentious lyrics, to the nauseating waves of overdubbed choral vocals, to Freddie Mercury's lisping diva lead, to the wretchedly awkward lurching from (bowel) "movement" to (bowel) "movement." Even the rock-out part near the end that I could at least tolerate when it first came out now sounds utterly artificial, strained, grafted-on, and stupid.

I loved, really LOVED the first Queen album, but there was no way to ever take Queen seriously again after that song, which was okay because the group pretty well sucked ass from that point on anyway, but I remember the sick feeling in my stomach when that poodle puke dribbled out of my friend's stereo. I had to go take a nap, and I had really bad dreams.

klaatu
08-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Back in May the British selected "Bohemian Rhapsody" as their "favorite single of all time." Now they've done it again, with "BoRhap" taking top honors in the Official UK Charts Company Top 50 #1 Singles of the last 50 years. Allow me to say that I despise "Bohemian Rhopsody" with a fervor that makes me want to crush something, anything British. How perverse can one nation be?

I HATE every possible aspect of that song: from the nonsensical pretentious lyrics, to the nauseating waves of overdubbed choral vocals, to Freddie Mercury's lisping diva lead, to the wretchedly awkward lurching from (bowel) "movement" to (bowel) "movement." Even the rock-out part near the end that I could at least tolerate when it first came out now sounds utterly artificial, strained, grafted-on, and stupid.

I loved, really LOVED the first Queen album, but there was no way to ever take Queen seriously again after that song, which was okay because the group pretty well sucked ass from that point on anyway, but I remember the sick feeling in my stomach when that poodle puke dribbled out of my friend's stereo. I had to go take a nap, and I had really bad dreams.

I thought GLF was supposed to be robdawg? This is not Robdawg .. the writing is too complete, too well crafted, too well thought out .. way above Robdawgs ability .. or should I say ..demonstrated ability?
So GLF.. who the hell are you?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I thought GLF was supposed to be robdawg? This is not Robdawg .. the writing is too complete, too well crafted, too well thought out .. way above Robdawgs ability .. or should I say ..demonstrated ability?

Very keen observation, I agree. I think GLF is a new poster here, I don't think it's any of the regulars. ...Just a hunch. ;)

klaatu
08-15-2006, 09:10 AM

Very keen observation, I agree. I think GLF is a new poster here, I don't think it's any of the regulars. ...Just a hunch. ;)

Unless of course Robdawg ripped that critique off from another message board and C&Ped it here .... :cof1:

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Some great songs have not even been nominated! Come on music lovers, you know you want to weigh in!

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Here is an update on the songs currently nominated, and awaiting a second nomination to qualify for the final round.

(bold indicates a qualified song.)

Yesterday- The Beatles
Stairway to Heaven- Led Zepplin
Wild Horses- The Rolling Stones
Sound of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel
The Year of the Cat- Al Stewarts
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
One - Metallica
Ruben's Train -
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
Sandstorm- Darude
Fire, Water, Burn- Bloodhound Gang
Carry on my Wayward Son- Kansas
American pie- don mclean
Green River- Creedence Clearwater
Take it Easy- The Eagles
Hanging on the Telephone- Blondie
All along the Watchtower- Bob Dylan
Ring of Fire- Johnny Cash
Under the bridge- the red hot chili peppers
In my Room- Beach boys
How can I miss you when you wont go away-Dan Hicks
Hallejulah- Leonard Cohen
Back in Black- ACDC
fade to black- Metallica
Looking For The Perfect Beat -Affrika
Like a Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan

Four spots remaining for the final round!

Tomorrow will be the last day to nominate new songs to the list, if you haven't voted yet, please do so now. After tomorrow, if we don't have the 10 qualifiers, those who have already voted, can cast a single vote for one song in the list, and it can't be one you originally nominated. The remainder of the qualifying round will be filled as the votes are cast, and we can proceed to the finals.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Okay, the final 4 spots will be determined from the list of songs already nominated. If you have already nominated 3 songs, you can now vote for one of the songs on the list, but it can't be the same song you originally nominated. I will take the first 3 entries posted, as for the fourth spot, I vote for....

All Along the Watchtower- J Hendrix

klaatu
08-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Hotel California

Damocles
08-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Hotel California

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Two more songs to go!

Damocles
08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
American Pie has got to make it in there too. What is wrong with people?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-21-2006, 07:55 AM
bump

DigitalDave
08-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Ok, ok.. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash

klaatu
08-21-2006, 11:17 AM
American Pie has got to make it in there too. What is wrong with people?

You're right .. completely forgot about that one ....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I concur... and sinc it's my contest, I hereby proclaim American Pie as the default concensus final qualifier!

The final qualifiers...

1. Stairway to Heaven
2. A Day in the Life
3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Good Vibrations
5. Under the bridge
6. You Really Got Me Now
7. All Along the Watchtower
8. Hotel California
9. Ring of Fire
10. American Pie

I'll make the poll thread this evening.