PDA

View Full Version : suggestion

Care4all
08-07-2006, 06:15 AM
:)

I have read many people that have frequented both of the sites that they do not like the way this board is set up, or are uncomfortable in the way this board works when looking at who is posting and what threads are active easily from the home page....

Here are my thoughts for you to consider....

Somehow, we need to get the "Today's Posts" as the front page....well, not the home page but maybe the next page after the home page, which may need some modification...
Maybe the Today's posts needs to be a BOLD label on the Bar at the top instead of having to go in to quick links to get to it?

Well, the reason I am saying this, is that the Today's Posts function is really cool and skips over all of the garbage of having to go in to each one of the forums categories to find what was posted today....

Keeping the Today's Post link somewhere on the front page Boldly and at the top right under the rules maybe... could be a way of making it prominant and ease of access accomplished...

this makes everything easier, where all posts of the last 24 hours are there at ease and there is less need to jump from forum to forumn to find out what threads are being hit on...simmilar to full politics, ONLY BETTER imo, because under Today's posts, you have ALL POSTS of the day in order of the time last posted from all of the various different forums combined with a listing of what forum it is in and also a means to just link to the forumn category if you wish...it also highlights your own personal unread threads/posts of "today's Posts"....

what do ya think?

care

Damocles
08-07-2006, 06:48 AM
:)

I have read many people that have frequented both of the sites that they do not like the way this board is set up, or are uncomfortable in the way this board works when looking at who is posting and what threads are active easily from the home page....

Here are my thoughts for you to consider....

Somehow, we need to get the "Today's Posts" as the front page....well, not the home page but maybe the next page after the home page, which may need some modification...
Maybe the Today's posts needs to be a BOLD label on the Bar at the top instead of having to go in to quick links to get to it?

Well, the reason I am saying this, is that the Today's Posts function is really cool and skips over all of the garbage of having to go in to each one of the forums categories to find what was posted today....

Keeping the Today's Post link somewhere on the front page Boldly and at the top right under the rules maybe... could be a way of making it prominant and ease of access accomplished...

this makes everything easier, where all posts of the last 24 hours are there at ease and there is less need to jump from forum to forumn to find out what threads are being hit on...simmilar to full politics, ONLY BETTER imo, because under Today's posts, you have ALL POSTS of the day in order of the time last posted from all of the various different forums combined with a listing of what forum it is in and also a means to just link to the forumn category if you wish...it also highlights your own personal unread threads/posts of "today's Posts"....

what do ya think?

care
It is on the front page Care. Look at the bottom. Click the name of the person, you get their posts for the day... It is also a link at the top of the home page. Click the New Posts link and you are there... That one gives you the new posts for everybody.

Damocles
08-07-2006, 06:54 AM
So basically, Care, I need to better understand what you mean. The New Posts feature is directly accessible from the home page.

Care4all
08-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Yes, New Posts is there...I see that, but that only gives you the posts you have not read....the TODAY'S POSTS gives you everything that was posted today in order of time posted.... even if you have gone in to it already and read it....but had not responded to it....

And i GUESS I think that this function would suffice in satisfying people that have complained about this interface...BUT THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT....or what it does...pulls all posts of the day together from all of the different forum categories that you have.....which is the number one complaint, too many categories....

So, instead of New Posts on the Banner, maybe it should be Today's posts on the Banner....???

And maybe others on this board and the other one ....will read this post and learn about this TODAY'S POSTS function, and learn to love it as I have learned to do... it is a combination of what we are used to, which is clicking on the main forum link and pretty much viewing ALL of the recent posts and not so recent posts, and then maybe occaisionally going in to polls or offtopic to see is someone has posted anything....

as you have it now, you pretty much have to scan 6-8 forumns on the head page to see if anything "is going on"....when by going directly in to TODAY'S POSTS gets you right in to the hornets nest of postings without all the work...imho.

care

Damocles
08-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Once again I am unsure what you are talking about. The closest thing to "today's posts" that I know of is the New Posts link, that is at the top of every page no matter where you are on the site.

Care4all
08-07-2006, 07:20 AM
I guess my suggestion to you is to add today's posts to the bar at the top replacing the New Posts link....and then I would suggest for ease of use to position the TODAY'S POSTS link ON the bar where the User Cp link is located to the far left....

it could become an automatic....for all of us to end up going to this new Today's post link on the scroll bar immediately after you come to the front home page....if you don't feel like scrolling through all of the different forums .... as an option...

because sometimes you may need to go in to a specific forum if you are looking for a specific thread or something like that....

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 07:20 AM
I think Care makes a good point, I understand there are all sorts of ways to view the posts and threads, but a newbie will not take the time to learn all the features, and it would probably be less confusing and more inviting, to have the default page be New Posts or Today's Posts.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Once again I am unsure what you are talking about. The closest thing to "today's posts" that I know of is the New Posts link, that is at the top of every page no matter where you are on the site.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/search.php?do=getdaily

Care4all
08-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Damo, go in to Quick Links, there is a "Today's Post's" link.... it is awesome, and it covers new posts too by high- lighting the posts you have not entered in bold...

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Care, you can do like I do and bookmark the link I posted above.

Damocles
08-07-2006, 07:26 AM
I'll see what I can figure out. It should be reasonably easy to tweak that so that if you are a registered user it shows Today's Posts there instead of Register...

Care4all
08-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Care, you can do like I do and bookmark the link I posted above.

huh? xplain please.....and at kindergarten level.... thx... :D

Care4all
08-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Another Suggestion:

When you click on Private mail, the left hand colum has functions...such as send a new message....this category, Private messaging, with the options, should be at the top on the left, making it the first thing you see on this left column replacing Control Panel, as the first categorie option ....after all, you are going in to your Private messages....either to read, or to send one, not to go in to commonly go in to the control panel...

dumb me had to search for a few wasted minutes trying to find the link to send a new message....?

and each time I go in there, I forget and end up searching for it all over again because it is not a readily available function...

maybe adding send a new message to the drop down where sent messages and inbox are located could make it easier too?

Care4all
08-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I'll see what I can figure out. It should be reasonably easy to tweak that so that if you are a registered user it shows Today's Posts there instead of Register...

If you replace NEW POSTS with TODAYS POSTS, it solves all problems...and this should be AVAILABLE if you are not a member, even more importantly than if you are.... it would simplify it for EVERYONE, imho.

And on my bar it has USER CP as the first link on the bar...and I personally think that you should push all links over to the right, making room for TODAY'S POSTS to be the first slot....is the best positioning for it...

we have to make it readily available to people or newbies that are not signed in....

They may never sign in because the board is complicated with all of the categories to keep up with, whereas...today's posts puts all posts of the day together, and for members signed in, highlightens new posts too.

Damocles
08-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm telling you, you people have gotten used to almost no categories to post in. The vast majority of boards are far more complicated than this one, let alone SR's board. People are not going to be put off by how "complicated" this board is, they are going to be shocked it is so small. At least those who usually post in Messageboards will. If you'd like I can send you links to the most successful boards that I know of, you tell me how "complicated" this board is after that...

I get tired of everybody saying, "This isn't enough like another board I use, make it more like that one."

Damocles
08-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Okay, Care. I tested. Today's Posts is specifically available to people who are not members. It is on the same list as where you would normally get your User CP...

If you log out then go to the home page you can see that Today's Posts are available for those who are not logged in.

Damocles
08-07-2006, 08:02 AM
You are basically saying that I need to move those links over to the left so it is close to the first things that people see, correct?

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-07-2006, 08:05 AM
huh? xplain please.....and at kindergarten level.... thx... :D

Just right click on the link I posted above, and save it to your "favorites" ...then, instead of the regular main page, you just go to that page.

Damo, I am cool with things, I wouldn't mind seeing a little consolidation of the forums, and I think others have expressed this as well, but overall, it's fine. One of the things, I think, that caused SR's insanity, was having to constantly listen to pinheads tell you what they want, or whine and complain about what they don't have. It's the main reason I want no part of developing a board or administrating one. I don't have the patience for it.

Damocles
08-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Just right click on the link I posted above, and save it to your "favorites" ...then, instead of the regular main page, you just go to that page.

Damo, I am cool with things, I wouldn't mind seeing a little consolidation of the forums, and I think others have expressed this as well, but overall, it's fine. One of the things, I think, that caused SR's insanity, was having to constantly listen to pinheads tell you what they want, or whine and complain about what they don't have. It's the main reason I want no part of developing a board or administrating one. I don't have the patience for it.
I'm cool with all of that. I am just amazed at people saying that this one is complicated. It really isn't. I will, however, make the changes to the links to move Today's Posts to a more prominent position to make them happy. If I can figure out how to do it in this .php format...

:D

That should be a relatively easy change, once I get time to do it...

Care4all
08-07-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm telling you, you people have gotten used to almost no categories to post in. The vast majority of boards are far more complicated than this one, let alone SR's board. People are not going to be put off by how "complicated" this board is, they are going to be shocked it is so small. At least those who usually post in Messageboards will. If you'd like I can send you links to the most successful boards that I know of, you tell me how "complicated" this board is after that...

I get tired of everybody saying, "This isn't enough like another board I use, make it more like that one."

Oh, I believe you Damo!

I have seen some boards that had so many categories, it was mind blowing....but sometimes if you have a VERY ACTIVE board, alot of categories may be necessary...
However, In my humble opinion :D, that is not the case with your board...you are not busy and do not have alot of participants YET.....and maybe you don't want them yet...because this could be a real live "test run" for your product, to tweek it before a FULL FRONTAL marketing "attack" on the public to come here..

So, who your customer or client is now ....ARE people from this other board and ARE familiar with fewer choices....so whether OTHER political sites are FAR MORE complicated than yours is sorta moot, imo....for at least right now, before you spread out to capturing other customers/clients i think...?

I personally love all of the options on your board, and have become accustomed to all of it, well....for most of it...

everything is better over here....ignore, today's posts, new posts, edit, etc features surpass what Sr's site is even capable of doing imo...(and I know this is not his fault)

As far as where something should be positioned on the links bar at the top, I do think you might consider priorititizing all of them, and positioning them according to this priority or by association...for example...Member list should be positioned next to Search, because they are both "search" functions and things like this.......right now it is willy nilly....

... and Log out to the far right is the last function you would ever do so it is positioned perfectly where it is....

These are just tweaking things so they are not necessary to do at the present time.....( I just can't help myself...so forgive me if I become too pushy or something....my life was dedicated to crossing the t's and dotting the i's...and I can't break the habbit... :( )

Damocles
08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh, I believe you Damo!

I have seen some boards that had so many categories, it was mind blowing....but sometimes if you have a VERY ACTIVE board, alot of categories may be necessary...
However, In my humble opinion :D, that is not the case with your board...you are not busy and do not have alot of participants YET.....and maybe you don't want them yet...because this could be a real live "test run" for your product, to tweek it before a FULL FRONTAL marketing "attack" on the public to come here..

So, who your customer or client is now ....ARE people from this other board and ARE familiar with fewer choices....so whether OTHER political sites are FAR MORE complicated than yours is sorta moot, imo....for at least right now, before you spread out to capturing other customers/clients i think...?

I personally love all of the options on your board, and have become accustomed to all of it, well....for most of it...

everything is better over here....ignore, today's posts, new posts, edit, etc features surpass what Sr's site is even capable of doing imo...(and I know this is not his fault)

As far as where something should be positioned on the links bar at the top, I do think you might consider priorititizing all of them, and positioning them according to this priority or by association...for example...Member list should be positioned next to Search, because they are both "search" functions and things lie this.......right now it is willy nilly....

... and Log out to the far right is the last function you would ever do so it is positioned perfectly where it is....

These are just tweaking things so they are not necessary to do at the present time.....( I just can't help myself...so forgive me if I become too pushy or something....my life was dedicated to crossing the t's and dotting the i's...and I can't break the habbit... :( )
I must have sounded more frustrated than I really am. I forget to use the smilies I provide for our use... I too am used to another board.

Anyway... I'm actually looking in to getting what you want done. I'm asking some "friends" on vbulletin forums on how to do what I want to make the site better for my friends.

I'm sorry if I sounded all sour... I really didn't mean it.

:clink:

Care4all
08-07-2006, 08:20 AM

:cool:

OrnotBitwise
08-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I must have sounded more frustrated than I really am. I forget to use the smilies I provide for our use... I too am used to another board.

Anyway... I'm actually looking in to getting what you want done. I'm asking some "friends" on vbulletin forums on how to do what I want to make the site better for my friends.

I'm sorry if I sounded all sour... I really didn't mean it.

As an aside -- though I'm sure you've figured this out by now -- let me say that no matter what your final interface design is, some people aren't going to like it. That's just the way forums are. Give 'em every feature in the world and some will complain that it's too complex. Take some away and others will holler "Hey, where's my [fill in name of beloved lost feature HERE]??!?"

:cof1:

I administer an online forum site myself. We're about to upgrade to a newer version of the software -- as soon as I finish porting our mods to the new build. The new version is way better than the old and has lots more features. I'm dreading it, frankly.

:(

Damocles
08-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Cool. PM me a link. I'd like to check out your forum. I can also add a link to it once I start getting those going...

OrnotBitwise
08-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Cool. PM me a link. I'd like to check out your forum. I can also add a link to it once I start getting those going...
You really want a link to a forum for pregnant women? We've got more than a quarter of a million of 'em and, oh, do they chat.

Damocles
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Why not? There have to be some Pregnant women that are into politics, you may get a user or two on a link-through...

Damocles
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Anyway I have created a drop-down menu for the UserCP link that allows you to select a few of the more popular options, including Send New PM, which takes you directly to the New PM box...

Damocles
08-08-2006, 12:44 AM
If a member is logged in there is no longer a "Register" button next to the CP this is now Today's Posts... I have also moved the FAQ over one so that the Member's list is then next on the Navbar...

Damocles
08-08-2006, 10:34 PM
If a member is logged in there is no longer a "Register" button next to the CP this is now Today's Posts... I have also moved the FAQ over one so that the Member's list is then next on the Navbar...

Of course, I forgot to do this in the Styles that I never use... So, NOW there is no longer a Register button next to the CP if you are logged in, it is now Today's Posts... And the member's list is then next on the navbar in all three styles...

Care4all
08-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ty!

OrnotBitwise
08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Of course, I forgot to do this in the Styles that I never use... So, NOW there is no longer a Register button next to the CP if you are logged in, it is now Today's Posts... And the member's list is then next on the navbar in all three styles...

Ah, the downside of skinned sites. I hate when I do that. :)

BRUTALITOPS
08-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Grind Presents:

SR Theater (Part II)

Title: Doublethink

- or -

Jedi Mind Tricks

================

Concerned member of fullpolitics.com: "Hello sr, i think there is a problem with [item], i believe this [item] needs a bit of tweaking."

SR: "There is no problem."

Concerned member of fullpolitics.com #2: "I agree with concerned member 1."

SR: "k bye. lol, - SR."

====================

- fin -

Cancel7
08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
I really don't have a problem with anything here Damo...except for the fact that I used to post on the old netscape boards and they had an unthreaded function and an unread function and a couple of other cool things and I would like it if you could make this site more like that one. Thanks.

Cancel7
08-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Of course, I'm totally kidding Damo.

OrnotBitwise
08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Uhm, actually, this one has threaded and unthreaded viewing. When you're reading a thread check out the different Display Modes -- located in the upper left. Choose a long thread to really get the full effect. I like "Hybrid" mode myself.

Ask and ye shall receive. ;)

Cancel7
08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Uhm, actually, this one has threaded and unthreaded viewing. When you're reading a thread check out the different Display Modes -- located in the upper left. Choose a long thread to really get the full effect. I like "Hybrid" mode myself.

Ask and ye shall receive. ;)

Cool! Thanks Ornot. I was just kidding because of what he said earlier in the thread, but since it's here, I'll use it.

OrnotBitwise
08-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Cool! Thanks Ornot. I was just kidding because of what he said earlier in the thread, but since it's here, I'll use it.I know. I just couldn't resist kidding back.

Damocles
08-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I figured that out... ;)

Damocles
08-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Care4all! I added the Newposts feature in the welcome box as well... This should help you see how many posts there may be even before hitting the today's posts link...

Care4all
08-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Awesome Damo! Good call! I was going to ask about that.... ;)

here is another suggestion....

When you click on Private mail, it brings you to the inbox page.... on there, is a drop down box(Jump to folder) that has Inbox and Sent messages as a choice....

You need to add Compose(Send a new PM) message as another option to the drop down and even draft messages if there is such a thing?, to this drop down....

then you can get to everything you would need regarding private messages, via this drop down.... instead of having to go to different spots on the page for different private message functions....

I don't know if I am making sense?

Or maybe I am missing something that makes it less complicated?

care