PDA

View Full Version : Trolls

Rationalist
11-22-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't understand why trolls are allowed to thrive on this site. They contribute nothing of value, distract members from meaningful discussion, and reduce the overall quality of the site. Every other forum I've participated on has a "one account per person" rule. Such a rule would be a positive move for this site, in my opinion.

charver
11-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Trolls are people too, you know. Some of them can be funny (although, i'll concede, not that often recently). Personally, i prefer the "no rules" thing we've got going on. Yes, you get trolls and the rapid degeneration of threads into the realms of the uncultured slanging match but it does show people up for who they are quite well.

Anyway, a one account per person rule is easy to get round.

/MSG/
11-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Technically we have the rule Voltaire, though the mods are pretty lax on enforcement (not that I mind). I like it this way, but if you want to stops trolls it would require a change in the culture of the board. Hence my first post to you I listed several trolls to immediately ignore.

PostmodernProphet
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Trolls are people too, you know. Some of them can be funny (although, i'll concede, not that often recently). Personally, i prefer the "no rules" thing we've got going on. Yes, you get trolls and the rapid degeneration of threads into the realms of the uncultured slanging match but it does show people up for who they are quite well.

Anyway, a one account per person rule is easy to get round.

I disagree....the bulk of what gets posted to this site isn't even worth looking at any more......

charver
11-22-2010, 07:36 AM
I disagree....the bulk of what gets posted to this site isn't even worth looking at any more......

A lot of that can't really be put down solely to trolls though.

Canceled1
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
A lot of that can't really be put down solely to trolls though.

Take the replies in this thread for instance...

charver
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Take the replies in this thread for instance...

Exactly.

Feel free to avert your eyes. That's what i do.

Canceled1
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Exactly.

When I find an aversion, I shall do so...

Phantasmal
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Exactly.

Take for instance most of her replies are trollish!

Canceled1
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Take for instance most of her replies are trollish!

Well that's better than looking like a troll as you do, Foggy. :eek3:

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 12:03 PM
whats even more amazing is how a perm banned member, maineman, can come back as old retired fella....when he was banned for stalking and posting personal information among otehr things

Minister of Truth
11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
What's not amazing is people bitching, like on this thread. Totally not fuckin' amazing at all.

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
What's not amazing is people bitching, like on this thread. Totally not fuckin' amazing at all.

ironic post, is ironic :D

Minister of Truth
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
:clink:

Hermes Thoth
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't understand why trolls are allowed to thrive on this site. They contribute nothing of value, distract members from meaningful discussion, and reduce the overall quality of the site. Every other forum I've participated on has a "one account per person" rule. Such a rule would be a positive move for this site, in my opinion.

Fuck you stupid whore. Go to other forums then. marry them if you love them so much.

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Fuck you stupid whore. Go to other forums then. marry them if you love them so much.

marry me :loveu:

Minister of Truth
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Yeah, if we banned trolls, I can see how it might hinder your ability to enjoy this site... :D

Canceled2
11-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Well that's better than looking like a troll as you do, Foggy. :eek3:

A saggy baggy troll at that :eek3:

BRUTALITOPS
11-22-2010, 07:49 PM

some trolls are annoying, there is no doubt.

Others find humor in some trolls. Some trolls can be creative and much more subtle and intelligent.

The best way is to vote with your ignore button. That way those that enjoy/dont mind the trolls can still see the posts and those that are annoyed/hate the trolls can easily remove them from their jpp experience.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept. Why should everyone be stripped of something they don't mind because some people don't like it, when these people already have an option at their disposal to make trolls go away?

In the end, we like to provide our users with the maximum amount of freedom. If you like trolls, go ahead and read their posts. make another account yourself. If you can't stand them, they are one click away from being ignored forever.

BRUTALITOPS
11-22-2010, 07:50 PM

i take it that's why you came back.

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
some trolls are annoying, there is no doubt.

Others find humor in some trolls. Some trolls can be creative and much more subtle and intelligent.

The best way is to vote with your ignore button. That way those that enjoy/dont mind the trolls can still see the posts and those that are annoyed/hate the trolls can easily remove them from their jpp experience.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept. Why should everyone be stripped of something they don't mind because some people don't like it, when these people already have an option at their disposal to make trolls go away?

In the end, we like to provide our users with the maximum amount of freedom. If you like trolls, go ahead and read their posts. make another account yourself. If you can't stand them, they are one click away from being ignored forever.

i agree...

i would add, that allowing people like maineman to come back under a different username not be allowed...he was perm banned for a reason...also, damo has banned legoin troll for posting my personal info, yet he is allowed back over and over....

see - old retired fella = maineman

BRUTALITOPS
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
banned users coming back is much different than a run of the mill troll. THe vast majority of trolls don't break the rules. Someone that was banned obviously did. Needless to say old retired fella was just banned a few hours ago

Beefy
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
i agree...

i would add, that allowing people like maineman to come back under a different username not be allowed...he was perm banned for a reason...also, damo has banned legoin troll for posting my personal info, yet he is allowed back over and over....

see - old retired fella = maineman

We don't ban users because someone said someone is someone else. We verify first.

So put your panties back on sister, its been handled.

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
We don't ban users because someone said someone is someone else. We verify first.

So put your panties back on sister, its been handled.

whats been handled? that you and the other mods/admins admit old retired fella is maineman?

look beefy, i respect you completely when it comes to banning...my panties, no matter how much you want them, have nothing to do with maineman

pm me in the future and i will keep this off this board as well, i should have kept this off the board in the first place, but i thought the mods all knew...my bad

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
banned users coming back is much different than a run of the mill troll. THe vast majority of trolls don't break the rules. Someone that was banned obviously did. Needless to say old retired fella was just banned a few hours ago

ignore my previous post beefy

Beefy
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM

ignore my previous post beefy

NEVER!

my panties...i thought the mods all knew...my bad

I will never ignore your admission of this nature.

Cancel 2018. 3
11-22-2010, 10:26 PM
NEVER!

I will never ignore your admission of this nature.

i won't tell anyone about your panty raid....

BRUTALITOPS
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
and yes we traced old retired fella to being maineman. I say this just for official records sake. I don't think I am violating any board protocol by revealing that. And needless to say, it's probably better to be open as to why certain members are all of a sudden banned rather than making sure a banned users alternative identities are secret.

Beefy
11-22-2010, 11:06 PM
and yes we traced old retired fella to being maineman. I say this just for official records sake. I don't think I am violating any board protocol by revealing that. And needless to say, it's probably better to be open as to why certain members are all of a sudden banned rather than making sure a banned users alternative identities are secret.

I agree with that. If an existing member is banned, we need not get into public specifics, but if said member comes back like MM, then its already above board. And it lets people know that we're not just banning people randomly. Franky, banning people sucks. Its not something any of us take lightly.

Beefy
11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
1:39 in this video is exactly how I feel when I have to ban someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iru82rSytSg"

BRUTALITOPS
11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
mafia badass, got it. O_O

Beefy
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
mafia badass, got it. O_O

More like truly flawed character expending authority on another flawed character.....

WhiteAsBirdShit
11-23-2010, 02:56 AM
:(

cancel2 2022
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
1:39 in this video is exactly how I feel when I have to ban someone.

YouTube - The Sopranos - Killing Pussy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iru82rSytSg)

Bloody hell, I don't remember that being in the rules!! Is that what happened to Southern Man-iac?