PDA

View Full Version : Add a rubber ball to Mark McGwire's hall of Fame Resume

klaatu
01-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Mark McGwire is up for the Hall of Fame this year ...many say he aint gunna make it.. at least his first time around.. because of his "alleged steriod" use ...

If I had a vote... I dont think I could vote for him. The Home Run terror he and Sosa had was so damn suspicous ... these guys were poppin out 60 + homers like it was nothin ....
Shoot ..all you need to do is go back 15 or so years and compare them to the sluggers of Reggie Jacksons era.... guys like Mike Scmidt and Willie Stargell.... 35 to 40 homers would dominate the leagues.

I will say this... athletes are bigger, the parks are more homer friendly and the pitching is diluted because of expansion....all these factors do play in.... but not to the extent that it would cause the homer terror that McGwire and Sosa enjoyed... these two and others during this homer happy period.. clearly were juiced up big time ...

Now we hear this: (although you cant blame him for this one)

CLEVELAND -- A company that uses computer imaging claims baseballs had a larger rubberized core and a synthetic rubber ring in 1998, including the ball Mark McGwire hit for his 70th homer.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9906012

TRGLDTE
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Mark McGwire is up for the Hall of Fame this year ...many say he aint gunna make it.. at least his first time around.. because of his "alleged steriod" use ...

If I had a vote... I dont think I could vote for him. The Home Run terror he and Sosa had was so damn suspicous ... these guys were poppin out 60 + homers like it was nothin ....
Shoot ..all you need to do is go back 15 or so years and compare them to the sluggers of Reggie Jacksons era.... guys like Mike Scmidt and Willie Stargell.... 35 to 40 homers would dominate the leagues.

I will say this... athletes are bigger, the parks are more homer friendly and the pitching is diluted because of expansion....all these factors do play in.... but not to the extent that it would cause the homer terror that McGwire and Sosa enjoyed... these two and others during this homer happy period.. clearly were juiced up big time ...

Now we hear this: (although you cant blame him for this one)

CLEVELAND -- A company that uses computer imaging claims baseballs had a larger rubberized core and a synthetic rubber ring in 1998, including the ball Mark McGwire hit for his 70th homer.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9906012

So the league juiced the coefficient of restitution too.