PDA

View Full Version : Stop Crying About Taxes

Beefy
12-27-2006, 10:16 PM
I get a paycheck every two weeks, and I see how much my employer paid to me, how much was taken out, and how much I get after the government has reserved what was taken out for itself. And dammit, it adds up to a lot of money. I'm lower middle class, I don't own much, I don't use any government services (although I understand that they do serve a purpose in infrastructure), and I want to see my money, those dollars that I EARNED, be put to the best possible use.

But shit like this happens:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/26/katrina.waste.ap/index.html

Are you content to pay for this shit? I'm sure as shit not.

Cypress
12-27-2006, 10:20 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The tally for Hurricane Katrina waste could top $2 billion next year because half of the lucrative government contracts valued at $500,000 or greater for cleanup work are being awarded with little competition.

Federal investigators have already determined the Bush administration squandered $1 billion on fraudulent disaster aid to individuals after the 2005 storm.

Now they are shifting their attention to the multimillion dollar contracts to politically connected firms that critics have long said are a prime area for abuse.

Bush should have pulled an FDR, and simply created a public works project for citizens of Louisiana and Missisiippi. Put them directly to work, under a public works authority, rebuidling New Orleans. A national emergency like Katrina justifies a public works project.

Shit, those public works authorities in the 1930s built the hoover dam, built an electrical grid for the entire south, and built hundreds of other dams and road projects within a matter of years.

Beefy
12-27-2006, 11:32 PM
No, Bush should not have pulled an FDR. Are you nuts? He should have curbed spending from the get go, as a "conservative" (LOL).

But that's beside the point. This article merely described the level of waste. But out taxes aren't high enough. There's waste, but our taxes aren't high enough... Do you see how retarded that is?

Damocles
12-28-2006, 12:23 AM
That and the fact we allow the Gub'mnt to work on borrowed funds.

The borrow and spend government is going to kill us...

klaatu
12-28-2006, 04:42 AM
If these "groups" or "firms" were paid without anything in return ...then yes it is fraudulant and more than an investigation needs to be done. My question is this.... the article makes it appear that these entities were paid before the work... I must ask why? I guess it is the Gub'mnt at work. IMHO ... I believe Cypress is correct ...., for the cleanup.... The feds should have passed the funds over to the state level and the state should have coordinated the cleanup..which would include the citizens of Louisiana as the responsible parties .....

klaatu
12-28-2006, 04:43 AM
By the way... 2 billion could probably build some kick ass levees ....

FUCK THE POLICE
12-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Well, in an attempt to justify it, it only takes up a very small minority of the budget. Less than 0.1 percent, since the budget is like 3 trillion.

FUCK THE POLICE
12-28-2006, 07:32 AM
And a lot of this waste was created simply because so much red tape was cut apart to fund this disaster as quickly as possible. The red tape was meant to prevent waste, but in a disaster you have to move as fast as possible.

FUCK THE POLICE
12-28-2006, 07:33 AM
And I know more about this than most of you, being that I actually experienced the hurricane. I spent 3 weeks cleaning up the house.

FUCK THE POLICE
12-28-2006, 07:34 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The tally for Hurricane Katrina waste could top $2 billion next year because half of the lucrative government contracts valued at $500,000 or greater for cleanup work are being awarded with little competition.

Federal investigators have already determined the Bush administration squandered $1 billion on fraudulent disaster aid to individuals after the 2005 storm.

Now they are shifting their attention to the multimillion dollar contracts to politically connected firms that critics have long said are a prime area for abuse.

Bush should have pulled an FDR, and simply created a public works project for citizens of Louisiana and Missisiippi. Put them directly to work, under a public works authority, rebuidling New Orleans. A national emergency like Katrina justifies a public works project.

Shit, those public works authorities in the 1930s built the hoover dam, built an electrical grid for the entire south, and built hundreds of other dams and road projects within a matter of years.

Actually, it was Hoover who built the Hoover damn...

Hence the name.

AnyOldIron
12-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Crying about taxes has been an American pastime since the days before America existed...

uscitizen
12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Crying about taxes has been an American pastime since the days before America existed...

And this crying tune brought the Republicans to power. After their rise their true colors became apparent though. Just hyperbole no substance. they proved to be a tax (the big guys) less and spend more on the credit card types.

Cypress
12-28-2006, 10:25 AM
No, Bush should not have pulled an FDR. Are you nuts? He should have curbed spending from the get go, as a "conservative" (LOL).

But that's beside the point. This article merely described the level of waste. But out taxes aren't high enough. There's waste, but our taxes aren't high enough... Do you see how retarded that is?

I don't mind paying taxes to rebuild an american city that was destroyed by the worst natural catastrophe ever to hit this nation.

I don't think awarding no-bid contracts to well-connected companies is working. I'm suggesting making it a public works project, like FDR did. Those seemed to work: a few years after 1933, there was an astonishing amount of infrastructure built.

uscitizen
12-28-2006, 10:32 AM
But that would cut a lot of lobbists / contributors out of the loop Cypress and we sure cannot tolerate that in our gummit.

Cypress
12-28-2006, 10:34 AM
But that would cut a lot of lobbists / contributors out of the loop Cypress and we sure cannot tolerate that in our gummit.

lol

uscitizen
12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
And surely you don't expect the republicans in power to actually reduce the size of our gummit do you ? I know they said they supported less government , but all evidence points to the contrary.