PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Corrie

Beefy
12-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm curious as to what my fellow internet political junkies think of this woman.

If you're not familiar with her, then here she is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Corrie

My take on it is that she was shining a light on the Palestinian side of the story, and that her death was no accident.

Care4all
12-27-2006, 07:19 AM
wow, this is terrible, and very sad and the guy driving the bulldozer should be charged with killing her....

I could not read the rest of the article because it was too painful.... did the guy that did it get any kind of repremand?

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
From the article posted it would appear that it was an accident, not intentional. An accident that would not have happened if Rachel had not placed herself in front of a shielded dozer. The Israelis have since made moves to rectify the blind spots created from the shielding.

The ISM reports from two of their members do not even agree as to what happened. One even said the accident occured within 6-7 seconds. The ISM also appears to have tried to make it look intentional with the way they posted photographs from that day. That in and of itself makes me doubt them.

It is tragic that she lost her life standing up for what she believed in, but to blame others for her actions is ridiculous.

uscitizen
12-27-2006, 09:13 AM
To say that others share in the blame of the end result is not ridiculous.

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 09:24 AM
"To say that others share in the blame of the end result is not ridiculous."

I disagree. She CHOSE to place herself in the path of the dozer. The accident then occured. Had she chosen a different method of protest, she would not have been killed. Period.

If you chose to jump off a three story building in protest, you don't get to share blame with the concrete makers because they didn't make the concrete soft enough for your landing.

Damocles
12-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Superfreak is right. The shielding they put on the 'dozers to protect the drivers made seeing such people very difficult. She believed, rightly IMO, that had the driver seen her he would stop. Unfortunately she didn't take into account the shielding.

This whole 'doze the house of the family of an attacker thing should end anyway, it just creates more people willing to attack.

uscitizen
12-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes Damo, the current policy of Israel is only fueling the fire not quenching it.

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
"Yes Damo, the current policy of Israel is only fueling the fire not quenching it."

Now THAT, I agree with.

LadyT
12-27-2006, 09:56 AM
'sup super!

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Just hanging around waiting for one of my two favorite Dem ladies to show up.

LadyT
12-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Well, I'm not really that argumentative as of late - and if I do, its pretty much to play devil's advocate. But to catch you up to speed:

1) We were right about Iraq- no WMD program, and a downward spiral and civil war did follow the initial invasion, $billion$ wasted, etc.
2) We were right about Bush - he's an idiot with no plans or ability to plan
3) America has no credibility now as we predicted
4) Republicans in congress are scum and hypocrites as seen by the vicious attack ads which helped them lose this last election and their propensity to pray on young pages.
5) Looks like we were right about global warming
6) I've warmed up to moderate gun rights.

LadyT
12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
My next prediction to come true:
Iraq will not get better any time soon because of doing. Its time to pack it up. Our presense is not helping, but hurting us, because we are a scapegoat and rallying cause for terrorists in the country. We need to pack it up now. Its unfortunate we've made this mess, but apparent we can't fix it. We need to focus on our ports and borders. That should be priority number one or else we will be sorry.

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Lady T...

1) I believe you meant no CURRENT WMD program, otherwise I agree
2) I am more inclined to agree with you on this one now.
3) B.S. America still has credibility. Just because it is now in vogue to bash the US doesn't mean other countries are going to stop investing here. Nor will they stop coming to us to help solve problems.
4) To me, most Reps AND Dems in DC are scum. Be a bit more honest, ONE Rep prayed on the pages, to put that on all of them is like saying all Dems are drunk bastards like Kennedy.
5) How so? While some parts of the world are growing warmer, others are experiencing record COLD weather. If global warming IS indeed largely affected by man, then why is it that global temperatures peaked in 1998? Shouldn't we still be getting warmer?
6) I have always been a moderate on that issue.

uscitizen
12-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I was just reading aoubt a couple of inhabited islands that have already dissappeared under rising ocean water......

Care4all
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, I'm not really that argumentative as of late - and if I do, its pretty much to play devil's advocate. But to catch you up to speed:

1) We were right about Iraq- no WMD program, and a downward spiral and civil war did follow the initial invasion, $billion$ wasted, etc.
2) We were right about Bush - he's an idiot with no plans or ability to plan
3) America has no credibility now as we predicted
4) Republicans in congress are scum and hypocrites as seen by the vicious attack ads which helped them lose this last election and their propensity to pray on young pages.
5) Looks like we were right about global warming
6) I've warmed up to moderate gun rights.

hahahahaha! yup, pretty much sums it up! lol!
------------------------------------------------------

Super,

We finally moved to the Bar Harbor area! About 4 miles from salt water, but still hilly! We sold the house in Mass and bought the cutest little Cape cottage that ever existed on 1.5 acres with a Family that owns 125 acres for a few hundred years right across from me, and a natural pond on my acreage, with 7 100 plus year old apple tees that feed the deer in the fall! :)

yes, once I am unpacked and settled in, you are welcomed to come visit us, I know you'll love the Natural Region of Beauty that beholds this area!

We are going to build a barnlike garage with an apartment to rent above it and mbl says he wants to be our first tenant! :D

How are you? What's up?

Care

I am on dial up so be patient with my anwers!

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 10:16 AM
US... perhaps it is nature telling us we are not welcome on that piece of her land. For thousands of years, the earth has gone through cycles of global warming and cooling cycles.

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Care... the other of my favorite two Dem ladies....

I am doing well. Still living in CO and loving it. (well other than the friggin blizzard) We are expected to get another foot or so tomorrow. Damn global cooling. ;)

I love the Bar Harbour area. Took a schooner trip out of there back in 2000. Lovely part of the country. I am sure you will love it there for a very long time. I will certainly try to get out there sometime to visit.

uscitizen
12-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes, the only question is what impact man is having on these cycles.
Or is it all bovine flatulence ?

Cancel 2016.2
12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
LOL, I am sure it is purely the flatulence.

Personally, I do not believe that man has much influence on the global warming/cooling cycles. That said, we should maintain our focus to reduce pollution as that is the true crime of humanity.

LadyT
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
1) I believe you meant no CURRENT WMD program, otherwise I agree
2) I am more inclined to agree with you on this one now.

It wasn't current in March of 2003.

3) B.S. America still has credibility. Just because it is now in vogue to bash the US doesn't mean other countries are going to stop investing here. Nor will they stop coming to us to help solve problems.

Correction. They will pimp us for $ and military might because we have it and we give it away when we think its in our best interest at the time. It has nothing to do with credibility. We have resources. Lets not get it twisted. And yes people will invest, not because of our "credibility", but because of ROI. And as the government continues to incur more and more debt that it knows damn well it can't pay back within our lifetimes, that will decrease over the years to.

4) To me, most Reps AND Dems in DC are scum. Be a bit more honest, ONE Rep prayed on the pages, to put that on all of them is like saying all Dems are drunk bastards like Kennedy.

I'll give you the kennedy's being drunkards. But at least the Dems haven't voted en mass for legislations that clearly opposed to the founding principals of our constitution.

5) How so? While some parts of the world are growing warmer, others are experiencing record COLD weather. If global warming IS indeed largely affected by man, then why is it that global temperatures peaked in 1998? Shouldn't we still be getting warmer?

The ice caps are melting. It can actually end up being cooler in some regions and warmer in others.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2520361,00.html

6) I have always been a moderate on that issue.

Cypress
12-27-2006, 10:43 AM

First, you're making a lot of mistakes in this statment: first 2005, was the hottest year on record. 2003 and 2004 were in the top five hottest ever, I recall. I'm not sure where 2006 is, but it ranks up near the top I believe.

Second, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of climate science. Global warming does not mean the global temperature goes up uniformly across the whole planet. In fact, while the average temperature may trend upward over a multi-year cycle, the warming of the oceans and disrupstion of ocean currents (along with a mulititue of other complex factors), could cause cooling in parts of the planet.