PDA

View Full Version : New motto for the dollar...

Jarod
08-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Would any of you object to a motto on the one dollar bill that reads..

"Progress via secularism"

I know how upset many on the right get when people want to take "In God We Trust" off the coin, just wondering what your opinion would be...?

gonzojournals
08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
The difference is that the majority of Americans and the majority of the world believe in God (whether in the form of Christ, God, or Allah)-- it is the same Semitic God.

However, the five percent of atheists in the world want to promote secularism--- why would the majority pander to the minority....true, it happens often in America, but religion is one of those things that if you are the minority you should just accept that no one is going to interfer with your practice, but that you have no say in majority opinion.

OrnotBitwise
08-04-2006, 01:34 PM
The difference is that the majority of Americans and the majority of the world believe in God (whether in the form of Christ, God, or Allah)-- it is the same Semitic God.

However, the five percent of atheists in the world want to promote secularism--- why would the majority pander to the minority....true, it happens often in America, but religion is one of those things that if you are the minority you should just accept that no one is going to interfer with your practice, but that you have no say in majority opinion.
No, that's incorrect. A majority of the world's population is religious, yes, but it is not true that a majority follow some variant of the Semitic monotheistic tradition.

In other words, add the Jews, Christians of all sects and Muslims together and you still don't come up with more than about 40% - 45% of the world.

Also, it's a mistake to equate secularism with atheism. Secularism merely refers to governance and law. Many religious people also are secularists.

Damocles
08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
No, that's incorrect. A majority of the world's population is religious, yes, but it is not true that a majority follow some variant of the Semitic monotheistic tradition.

In other words, add the Jews, Christians of all sects and Muslims together and you still don't come up with more than about 40% - 45% of the world.

Also, it's a mistake to equate secularism with atheism. Secularism merely refers to governance and law. Many religious people also are secularists.
40-45%? It sounds about right. I'd say slightly over 55%, but I can see what you are saying. Considering the vast majority of Europe, Russia, the Muslim Nations, Australia, Parts of Asia such as the Phillipines, almost all of the Americas, shoot, all of them... All believe in that Monotheistic God... With China and the other Asian and some African (most of African areas also worshipping this Monotheistic Semitic God) Nations against those beliefs as well as India.... China and India alone might get half of the population of the planet...

I'd guess you are probably right... About half of the World.

IHateGovernment
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
How about "Cash Rule Everything Around Me"

gonzojournals
08-05-2006, 02:13 PM
2 billion Christians, one billion muslims, and then add the Jews and you have a little over half the world.

OrnotBitwise
08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
2 billion Christians, one billion muslims, and then add the Jews and you have a little over half the world.
I don't think there are 2 billion christians, however. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think there are that many. I know that the RC church consistently overstates their numbers, for example. When they claim "1.2 billion saved" they're counting everyone who's ever been baptised in their church. They count ME among their 1.2 billion! Now that's funny.

:D

robdastud
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM

why do you call yourself a persecuted minority... yup you sure are... all 80% of you.

gonzojournals
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Um....show me where I have ever said that I am a persecuted minority....why don't you ever shut up when the adults are talking? You just embarrass yourself.

Brent
08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
I support changing "In God We Trust" to "Trust in God."

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 05:08 AM
Why do the religious feel the need to daub their graffiti on everything?

OrnotBitwise
08-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I support changing "In God We Trust" to "Trust in God."
I'd be more in favor of "Trust None."

:p

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
We don't any religious daubings on our money.

We have Liz on one side, then Elizabeth Fry on the £5, Charles Darwin on the £10, Edward Elgar on the £20 and John Houblon on the £50.

OrnotBitwise
08-08-2006, 09:59 AM
We don't any religious daubings on our money.

We have Liz on one side, then Elizabeth Fry on the £5, Charles Darwin on the £10, Edward Elgar on the £20 and John Houblon on the £50.
And you don't have wackos clammoring that Charles Darwin is a religious figure? Astounding.

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
And you don't have wackos clammoring that Charles Darwin is a religious figure? Astounding.

They probably do but no-one listens.... :)

He's there for his scientific contribution.

The US should follow the Aussie lead. They have very colourful money with birds and trees on them.....

Jarod
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Imagine the uproar if someone proposed replacing Lincon with Darwin on the $5.

OrnotBitwise
08-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Imagine the uproar if someone proposed replacing Lincon with Darwin on the $5.
Alas, Darwin was not an American. We don't have that option.

How about Richard Feynman in place of Andrew Jackson?

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
American greats to go on bank notes...

Bob Dylan, John Steinbeck, Ken Kesey, Henry Winkler?

Jarod
08-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Alas, Darwin was not an American. We don't have that option.

How about Richard Feynman in place of Andrew Jackson?

You have to be an American to go on a bill?

evince
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Don Knotts, Niel Diamond and the whole cast of star search?

Jarod
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Bill Gates
Bill Clinton
and
Bill Cosby
:cof1:

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 10:50 AM

I'd say so, it is your national currency....

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart finds a $1000 bill. Marge makes him advertise its discovery and a queue of people try to claim it.

Moe gets to the front of the queue and they ask him who is on the bill. He say's "I'm gonna say someone famous....Is it Hitler..."

Jarod
08-08-2006, 10:52 AM

I'd say so, it is your national currency....

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart finds a $1000 bill. Marge makes him advertise its discovery and a queue of people try to claim it.

Moe gets to the front of the queue and they ask him who is on the bill. He say's "I'm gonna say someone famous....Is it Hitler..."

I guess you are correct... how about Ron Jeremy.

AnyOldIron
08-08-2006, 10:53 AM
guess you are correct... how about Ron Jeremy.

Ron Jeremy and Jenna Jamieson!

evince
08-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Bill Gates
Bill Clinton
and
Bill Cosby
:cof1:

The Bill Bills ,I like it!:clink:

evince
08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I guess you are correct... how about Ron Jeremy.

Yeah but what denomination?

It would have to be a big bill.: :p