PDA

View Full Version : APP - 'What the War Did to Andy'

midcan5
03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
"Since last June, Andy Kubik has been living at a VA hospital in Michigan, where he's been treated for PTSD and substance abuse.

In the Air Force special ops, my friend Andy Kubik was the best of the best, a true American hero. As much as any one man, he was responsible for breaking the Taliban’s control of Afghanistan. But now, back at home, he’s fighting just to stay sane."

By Matthew Teague

"He hauled out an opaque plastic box, about the size of a suitcase. “I’ll send for it later,” he said, “but I know you’ll keep it safe.”

Sure, Andy, I said. I’ll keep it safe.

Later that night I lay awake and wondered: What on Earth is in that box?"

http://www.mensjournal.com/what-the-war-did-to-andy

tinfoil
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.basetree.com/thumbs/Bring_The_Troops_Home_Now.jpg

hypocrites! WTF are you clowns one year+ later?

Socrtease
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
War is hell, someone said that once. There have been soldiers suffering from PTSD since man began waging war on man. We used to say they were shell shocked, they came home and their families did what they could for them. The saddest thing is that the military, under every administration, has failed to properly diagnose and treat the soldiers that come home and have a hard time dealing with their problems.

NOVA
03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.basetree.com/thumbs/Bring_The_Troops_Home_Now.jpg

hypocrites! WTF are you clowns one year+ later?

MSM can't remove their lips from Obama's ass long enough to give any war protesters a second of coverage....so even if they do exist, we'll never know it....

WinterBorn
03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
War is hell, someone said that once. There have been soldiers suffering from PTSD since man began waging war on man. We used to say they were shell shocked, they came home and their families did what they could for them. The saddest thing is that the military, under every administration, has failed to properly diagnose and treat the soldiers that come home and have a hard time dealing with their problems.

Well said.

WinterBorn
03-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Good article.

We have created some amazing warriors, called them heros, and then abandoned them.

This is why I hate those who cheer for war, especially those who do it for some sort of national ego trip.

midcan5
03-31-2010, 05:38 AM

'War' does not define nor fit Iraq nor even Afghanistan. They are only called wars because fear made so many complicit.

"Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter for exactly the same reasons." Douglas Adams

WinterBorn
03-31-2010, 06:11 AM
'War' does not define nor fit Iraq nor even Afghanistan. They are only called wars because fear made so many complicit.

I think the military men & women in Iraq & Afganistan would beg to differ.

Disagreeing with why it was started does not change the fact that both are indeed wars.

christiefan915
03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
MSM can't remove their lips from Obama's ass long enough to give any war protesters a second of coverage....so even if they do exist, we'll never know it....

You want the MSM to give protesters more coverage? Well, so do I! In fact, I've been wanting more anti-war coverage since March 20, 2003, but it didn't happen under bush and isn't happening under Obama, more's the pity.

Finally we agree on something.

Cancel 2016.2
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
You want the MSM to give protesters more coverage? Well, so do I! In fact, I've been wanting more anti-war coverage since March 20, 2003, but it didn't happen under bush and isn't happening under Obama, more's the pity.

Finally we agree on something.

you must be joking.... you seriously believe there wasn't much anti war coverage when Bush was in office?

/MSG/
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM

Is that a fact? Damn, what the fuck was I doing over there? All those mortars and IEDs. I must have been at Disneyland. My mistake.

WinterBorn
04-01-2010, 04:39 AM

They are called wars because they are wars.

To try and make them less than that demeans the men & women fighting them.

I am an old fart with leftover issues from the Vietnam Era. I recall that particular war being called a "police action". But they didn't send the LAPD in to southeast asia. They sent 18 & 19 year old kids into that godforsaken place. 58,000 of whom never returned.

Iraq and Afganistan, like Vietnam, are wars. The reasons for going there and whatever are up for debate. But make no mistake, they are wars.

Thorn
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
They are called wars because they are wars.

To try and make them less than that demeans the men & women fighting them.

I am an old fart with leftover issues from the Vietnam Era. I recall that particular war being called a "police action". But they didn't send the LAPD in to southeast asia. They sent 18 & 19 year old kids into that godforsaken place. 58,000 of whom never returned.

Iraq and Afganistan, like Vietnam, are wars. The reasons for going there and whatever are up for debate. But make no mistake, they are wars.

Well said.

Minister of Truth
04-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Is that a fact? Damn, what the fuck was I doing over there? All those mortars and IEDs. I must have been at Disneyland. My mistake.

Yup, Disneyland Najaf, and soon Disneyworld Fallujah will be following!!

christiefan915
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
you must be joking.... you seriously believe there wasn't much anti war coverage when Bush was in office?

I am serious. The original comment was "MSM can't remove their lips from Obama's ass long enough to give any war protesters a second of coverage..."

There was a lot of coverage of protesters in the months leading up to the war and in the few weeks following the invasion, and then it tapered off, dramatically so, IMO. Once troops started dying it became politically incorrect to protest, or, as RWs spouted constantly, "you can't support the troops if you don't support the war". War protest started being characterized as anti-American and treasonous, and as one who protested from the beginning, this was my personal experience.