PDA

View Full Version : APP - should all voters

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 12:14 AM
should all voters be required to pass the same exam that naturalized citizens must pass to become citizens

this test may be in spanish in such states that require both english and spanish languages for voting materials in their constitutions

these tests may be written differently as are driver's license tests but requiring the same basic knowledge of u s of a civics

TuTu Monroe
03-17-2010, 06:49 AM
should all voters be required to pass the same exam that naturalized citizens must pass to become citizens

this test may be in spanish in such states that require both english and spanish languages for voting materials in their constitutions

these tests may be written differently as are driver's license tests but requiring the same basic knowledge of u s of a civics

YES

DamnYankee
03-17-2010, 07:05 AM
That would be nice if this could be done but more importantly there should be a test that you are a citizen, you are alive, eligible and you only vote once.

WinterBorn
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
A lot of people would never pass the test given to naturalized citizens. Its sad to say, but those who come here and become citizens know more about our nation's history and how our nation works than do most of those who were born here.

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 07:12 AM
That would be nice if this could be done but more importantly there should be a test that you are a citizen, you are alive, eligible and you only vote once.

oh well, 3 out of 4 is not bad...how many do you qualify for

DamnYankee
03-17-2010, 07:14 AM
oh well, 3 out of 4 is not bad...how many do you qualify forAll four.

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
All four.

now i vote early and often...being an undead helps ;)

Canceled2
03-17-2010, 09:03 AM
A lot of people would never pass the test given to naturalized citizens. Its sad to say, but those who come here and become citizens know more about our nation's history and how our nation works than do most of those who were born here.

Proof?

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Proof?

check the number of high school dropouts that are citizens or forgot the material in their u.s. government class

it would be interesting to do a survey though

Topspin
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
no, only morons on bullshit websites starting ignorant threads like this one.

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
no, only morons on bullshit websites starting ignorant threads like this one.

care to elaborate or do you just want to spin insults

FUCK THE POLICE
03-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't want the government throwing even more pointless headaches our way.

Mott the Hoople
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM

these tests may be written differently as are driver's license tests but requiring the same basic knowledge of u s of a civicsWith some exceptions the test must be taken in English. Being able to read, write and speak English are now requirements for naturalization. Those who immigrated before this became mandeated are excepted (i.e. grandfathered) from this rule.

Mott the Hoople
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
That would be nice if this could be done but more importantly there should be a test that you are a citizen, you are alive, eligible and you only vote once.Hmmm that won't fly in Florida, will it?

Mott the Hoople
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
The poll is based on a false premis. The requirements for citizenship are differant then the requirements to vote.

Such poll tests have been used before to prevent undesirable people, mainly racial minorities, from voting and were found to be unconstitutional.

Mott the Hoople
03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
A lot of people would never pass the test given to naturalized citizens. Its sad to say, but those who come here and become citizens know more about our nation's history and how our nation works than do most of those who were born here.Having actually seen the test I'd say most high school graduates would have no problem passing the test. It's a 10 question exam selected from a 100 sample of questions about American History and Civics. BCIS provides the 100 questions, with answers, on their web site for those who have applied for naturalization to study. I think one needs to score 6 or 7 of the questions correctly to pass.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/blinstst_new.htm

By far the harder requirement for most applying for naturalization is learning to read, write and speak English.

TuTu Monroe
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM

It's true and very disturbing.

Mott the Hoople
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
check the number of high school dropouts that are citizens or forgot the material in their u.s. government class

it would be interesting to do a survey thoughYea well they don't have to be worried about being asked to leave the country if they don't know this stuff.

SmarterthanYou
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Proof?

my stepkids and 99% of their friends. They know more about american idol and project runway than they do about our founding history.

Topspin
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
some people have interesting lives, others keep studying civics after they pass thier GED's.

DamnYankee
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Others smoke dope and demonstrate its effects on the mind by posting on the internet.

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Yea well they don't have to be worried about being asked to leave the country if they don't know this stuff.

true, but should they be allowed to vote

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't want the government throwing even more pointless headaches our way.

pointless? should a person be allowed to vote if they do not understand the process

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
With some exceptions the test must be taken in English. Being able to read, write and speak English are now requirements for naturalization. Those who immigrated before this became mandeated are excepted (i.e. grandfathered) from this rule.

while i tend to agree about the english, calif has a state constitutional requirement to use both english and spanish

Don Quixote
03-17-2010, 02:47 PM
The poll is based on a false premis. The requirements for citizenship are differant then the requirements to vote.

Such poll tests have been used before to prevent undesirable people, mainly racial minorities, from voting and were found to be unconstitutional.

i realize this, but the point of this test would be to ensure that voters would understand the electoral process and the tests would be standardized not made up by some local redneck to keep minorities from voting

besides, if a naturalized citizen can learn it so should a natural citizen

Minister of Truth
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
some people have interesting lives, others keep studying civics after they pass thier GED's.

Civics is the lifeblood of a free society, retard. Go live in an autocratic utopia, where civics are irrelevant.

Mott the Hoople
03-19-2010, 05:00 AM
while i tend to agree about the english, calif has a state constitutional requirement to use both english and spanish California law has nothing to do with this. Were talking US Federal law. You cannot become a California citizen with out first becoming a US Citizen. Federal law trumps State law here so what California requires means absolutely nothing to USBCIS. Unless you're grandfathered in you must be able to speak, read and write in English to pass your citizenship exam.

Mott the Hoople
03-19-2010, 05:03 AM
i realize this, but the point of this test would be to ensure that voters would understand the electoral process and the tests would be standardized not made up by some local redneck to keep minorities from voting

besides, if a naturalized citizen can learn it so should a natural citizenAgain, unconstitutional. The right to vote for a citizen is an inalienable right that cannot be denied with out due process of law. No matter how you standardized it the only purpose of a poll test it to deny a US Citizen their constitutional right to vote. That is wrong.

Mott the Hoople
03-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Civics is the lifeblood of a free society, retard. Go live in an autocratic utopia, where civics are irrelevant.
He all ready does! ;)

Mott the Hoople
03-19-2010, 05:14 AM
Let me ask you this. Should all resident aliens who serve in the US Military be granted US Citizenship for themselves and their immediate family (wife, children and dependent parents) upon being honorably discharged or upon dying in service of this nation?

Currently they are not.

Don Quixote
03-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Let me ask you this. Should all resident aliens who serve in the US Military be granted US Citizenship for themselves and their immediate family (wife, children and dependent parents) upon being honorably discharged or upon dying in service of this nation?

Currently they are not.

if they pass the civics test, except for those that die in the line of duty

Don Quixote
03-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Again, unconstitutional. The right to vote for a citizen is an inalienable right that cannot be denied with out due process of law. No matter how you standardized it the only purpose of a poll test it to deny a US Citizen their constitutional right to vote. That is wrong.

that was the purpose of the original poll tests

i would propose a constitutional amendment that all citizens would have to pass the same test that naturalized citizens do

since the information is taught in high school it could be used as a requirement to graduate

this test would not be designed like previous poll tests to exclude certain classes of the nation or races, but to ensure that voters understood the electoral and governance principles of our nation

if immigrants can learn that material so should our youth

perhaps people that are already voters could be grandfathered in

Don Quixote
03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
California law has nothing to do with this. Were talking US Federal law. You cannot become a California citizen with out first becoming a US Citizen. Federal law trumps State law here so what California requires means absolutely nothing to USBCIS. Unless you're grandfathered in you must be able to speak, read and write in English to pass your citizenship exam.

you have a point, however, a treaty with mexico caused the calif constitution to be so modified

personally, i think that we should all learn english, including current citizens that supposedly have graduated high school

special classes could be made available to learn english and u s of a government to meet that voting requirement

Mott the Hoople
03-20-2010, 07:25 AM
if they pass the civics test, except for those that die in the line of dutySo in other words no. Some answers on a piece of paper are more important then actually serving you country?

Mott the Hoople
03-20-2010, 07:27 AM
you have a point, however, a treaty with mexico caused the calif constitution to be so modified

personally, i think that we should all learn english, including current citizens that supposedly have graduated high school

special classes could be made available to learn english and u s of a government to meet that voting requirementWhat about Dixie? He's lived here his whole life and still can't speak English.

evince
03-20-2010, 07:33 AM
No.

I would NEVER support a law for ANY test of a citizen to vote.

Don Quixote
03-20-2010, 10:30 AM
So in other words no. Some answers on a piece of paper are more important then actually serving you country?

have you read the questions that are asked

you have to take a test to be allowed to serve

how can a person swear allegiance to a constitution that they have no idea of what it says

the test should not be difficult for any high school graduate that paid attention during their us history and government classes

Don Quixote
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
What about Dixie? He's lived here his whole life and still can't speak English.

oh well

Don Quixote
03-20-2010, 10:32 AM
No.

so it is ok for immigrants that become citizens to know more than citizens about how our nation's government works

ps the test would only need to be passed once - special schools could be created to teach the required information and scotus would have to pass on the test

christiefan915
03-20-2010, 10:42 AM

I vote no.

And would also like to know which pollster decided that voters don't know what newly-naturalized citizens know.

TuTu Monroe
03-20-2010, 12:16 PM
LOL How true.

Others smoke dope and demonstrate its effects on the mind by posting on the internet.

Don Quixote
03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I vote no.

And would also like to know which pollster decided that voters don't know what newly-naturalized citizens know.

high school dropouts?

some of our congress critters

some of the posters on this web site

or those that have forgotten assuming that they payed attention longer than needed to pass a test and promptly forgot what they learned

i would like to be pleasantly surprised that more citizens knew what newly minted citizens had to learn

Don Quixote
03-20-2010, 12:35 PM
my wife is opposed to the proposition because it would become more and more politicalized and savaged by the right wing nuts

which is why once in place it would need to be difficult to revise and any original or revision would have to pass a review by scotus

Socrtease
03-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Very interesting that the rightwingers would like to restrict peoples right to vote. But the thing is this would affect as many right wing voters as it would left. you look at the number of righties that think Barrack Obama was born in Africa.

SmarterthanYou
03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
No.

would you support a law for a test of a citizen to carry a gun?

asaratis
03-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Whatever tests are required to become a citizen have nothing to do with whether that citizen can vote. Any citizen that is of voting age and has done nothing that would deny his/her voting should be allowed to vote without any test except proof of identity and registration in the voting district.

Each voter should be required to be stamped or to dip his/her finger (or nose) in ink that will not go away prior to the closing of the polls.

The vast majority of our citizens are citizens by birth and passed no test whatsoever to become citizens.

There should be no test by which any party can conveniently preclude eligible voter from voting.

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0878573.html

http://wei.secstate.wa.gov/osos/en/voterinformation/Pages/felons.aspx

Socrtease
03-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Whatever tests are required to become a citizen have nothing to do with whether that citizen can vote. Any citizen that is of voting age and has done nothing that would deny his/her voting should be allowed to vote without any test except proof of identity and registration in the voting district.

Each voter should be required to be stamped or to dip his/her finger (or nose) in ink that will not go away prior to the closing of the polls.

The vast majority of our citizens are citizens by birth and passed no test whatsoever to become citizens.

There should be no test by which any party can conveniently preclude eligible voter from voting.

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0878573.html

http://wei.secstate.wa.gov/osos/en/voterinformation/Pages/felons.aspxWell said. Only wannabe plutocrats want tests that exclude people from the ballot.

asaratis
03-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Yes. Not to a test to own a gun, but for a carry permit that should be a "shall issue upon passing" wherein any gun owner demonstrates that he/she is capable of holding and firing the gun. A person without arms can legally own a gun. They should not be permitted to carry one.

SmarterthanYou
03-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes. Not to a test to own a gun, but for a carry permit that should be a "shall issue upon passing" wherein any gun owner demonstrates that he/she is capable of holding and firing the gun. A person without arms can legally own a gun. They should not be permitted to carry one.

the right to keep AND bear arms.....

how do you divide that again?

FUCK THE POLICE
03-20-2010, 04:50 PM

1. Do you have a criminal record?

SmarterthanYou
03-20-2010, 04:58 PM
1. Do you have a criminal record?

shall not be infringed, and due process of law. period. nowhere in the constitution does it say that those convicted of any crimes lose rights.

/MSG/
03-20-2010, 05:35 PM
No. If you must take a test to exercise your right, it has ceased to be a right.

Socrtease
03-20-2010, 06:33 PM
No. If you must take a test to exercise your right, it has ceased to be a right.Exactly. And tests would be rigged in such a way that Chicago could have a defacto ban and just say that no one can pass their test. The rights in the first ten amendments are rights we possess that the government did not give us, they exist with us regardless of the government.

christiefan915
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
high school dropouts?

some of our congress critters

some of the posters on this web site

or those that have forgotten assuming that they payed attention longer than needed to pass a test and promptly forgot what they learned

i would like to be pleasantly surprised that more citizens knew what newly minted citizens had to learn

There are possibilities among all those you posted. However, civics lessons are taught throughout the 12 years of our education system, just spread out rather than distilled into one test booklet like the naturalized citizens study.

Here are a few of the questions. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't be informed and up-to-date on the country but what do the following questions have to do with voting? And there are others like them on the test. Some just seem like general knowledge for the new citizen.

11. What is the economic system in the United States?*
A: capitalist economy
A: market economy

56. When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms?*
A: April 15

88. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.
A: Missouri (River)
A: Mississippi (River)

93. Name one state that borders Mexico.
A: California
A: Arizona
A: New Mexico
A: Texas

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/blinstst_new.htm