PDA

View Full Version : APP - Dorothy Dandridge

cancel2 2022
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I was watching a TV programme the other night called the The Lure of Vegas (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf10t/The_Lure_of_Las_Vegas/) and it related a story about Dorothy Dandridge. She was singing at one of the hotels but she wasn't allowed to stay there, due to the racist policies of the time. She attempted to go for a swim in the pool regardless and was promptly thrown out by the hotel management because of 'health issues'. Apparently some racist Texas high rollers had complained about her, so to assuage them they drained the pool and cleaned it before it could be used again. I am not sure exactly when this happened but it was sometime in the 1950s.

http://articles.sfgate.com/1999-08-21/entertainment/17696759_1_earl-mills-1950s-dorothy-dandridge-hotel-pool

DamnYankee
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM
You're just hearing about this now?

Norman Paperman
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Dorothy Dandridge was smokin' hot.

Just sayin'.

christiefan915
03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I was watching a TV programme the other night called the The Lure of Vegas (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf10t/The_Lure_of_Las_Vegas/) and it related a story about Dorothy Dandridge. She was singing at one of the hotels but she wasn't allowed to stay there, due to the racist policies of the time. She attempted to go for a swim in the pool regardless and was promptly thrown out by the hotel management because of 'health issues'. Apparently some racist Texas high rollers had complained about her, so to assuage them they drained the pool and cleaned it before it could be used again. I am not sure exactly when this happened but it was sometime in the 1950s.

http://articles.sfgate.com/1999-08-21/entertainment/17696759_1_earl-mills-1950s-dorothy-dandridge-hotel-pool

Terrible actions like this are threaded throughout this country's history. Dandridge's story is not an isolated incident. A few years later (1964) there was a case, Heart of Atlanta Motel v. U.S., where the owner refused to rent rooms to African-Americans. Thirty years after that (1990's) a restaurant chain, Denny's, lost a class-action lawsuit because of their discriminatory policies. These are just two examples of the many incidents that occurred over the years. Racism has been a pervasive problem here, much improved over earlier times but still existing.

cancel2 2022
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
You're just hearing about this now?

Yes, about Dorothy Dandridge, but not in general. Rape, for instance, was not a capital crime in England in WW2 but regardless of that five blacks and one Mexican-American were hanged for the crime.

The full extent of the crime wave that the "overpaid, oversexed and over here" American forces brought to wartime Britain is disclosed today.

Home Office files kept secret for 60 years show that GIs committed 26 murders, 31 manslaughters, 22 attempted murders and more than 400 sexual offences, including 126 rapes, in the three years between their arrival and the end of the war.

They also show that American commanders allowed Herbert Morrison, the home secretary, to mislead Parliament by assuring MPs that no race discrimination was practised by US courts martial over executions for rape.

Rape was not a capital offence in Britain but under emergency legislation allowing American and other allied armies to use their own system, GIs could be sentenced to death for rape in this country.

Labour MPs who opposed the death penalty challenged Mr Morrison about its use in rape cases and put down parliamentary questions to find out whether black and white soldiers were treated equally.

Home Office officials sensed serious trouble and consulted the American judge advocate general's office in London, according to files released at the National Archives in Kew, south-west London.

A senior US official reassured them there was no prejudice and said the Americans would be happy if the home secretary told the Commons that three white GIs had been sentenced to death for rape in America a year before.

Mr Morrison duly told the Commons and chided party colleagues for seeking to raise divisions on racial lines.

But only black Americans were facing execution for rape at the time he spoke.

Figures show that, of the 122 rapes committed by Americans between 1943 and 1945, six perpetrators were executed. Five were black and the sixth was a Mexican-American who raped a 75-year-old widow at her Staffordshire home.

The most senior mandarins did not want American executions on British soil. Sir Frank Newsam, the deputy head of the Home Office, wrote: "We should take up with the Americans the question of the desirability of carrying out these sentences in America."

But the documents show that Col Edward Betts, the judge advocate general, "did not think that the US authorities would wish to do this, because if a man was taken away to be executed his fellow soldiers would not believe the sentence had been carried out and the deterrent effect would be lessened".

The Americans arrived in Britain without a scaffold and because their main method of execution - hanging with a coiled noose - was considered cruel by British authorities, they had to borrow "a set of apparatus from Wandsworth" and a British hangman.

Consequently, all of the 16 GIs hanged at the American "discipline base" at Shepton Mallet, Somerset, were put to death by Thomas Pierrepoint, Britain's chief executioner, or his nephew, Albert.

Two soldiers, who killed fellow GIs, were put to death as the US army's manual quaintly put it, "by musketry": a firing squad.

The first to die was a private, David Cobb, a black man who had killed his platoon commander in late 1942.

Other murders included that of a taxi driver in Colchester, a 35-year-old widow in Henley-on-Thames and a pimp in Belfast.

Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/25/ngi25.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/25/ixhome.html)

DamnYankee
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes, about Dorothy Dandridge, but not in general. Rape, for instance, was not a capital crime in England in WW2 but regardless of that five blacks and one Mexican-American were hanged for the crime.

The full extent of the crime wave that the "overpaid, oversexed and over here" American forces brought to wartime Britain is disclosed today.

Home Office files kept secret for 60 years show that GIs committed 26 murders, 31 manslaughters, 22 attempted murders and more than 400 sexual offences, including 126 rapes, in the three years between their arrival and the end of the war.

They also show that American commanders allowed Herbert Morrison, the home secretary, to mislead Parliament by assuring MPs that no race discrimination was practised by US courts martial over executions for rape.

Rape was not a capital offence in Britain but under emergency legislation allowing American and other allied armies to use their own system, GIs could be sentenced to death for rape in this country.

Labour MPs who opposed the death penalty challenged Mr Morrison about its use in rape cases and put down parliamentary questions to find out whether black and white soldiers were treated equally.

Home Office officials sensed serious trouble and consulted the American judge advocate general's office in London, according to files released at the National Archives in Kew, south-west London.

A senior US official reassured them there was no prejudice and said the Americans would be happy if the home secretary told the Commons that three white GIs had been sentenced to death for rape in America a year before.

Mr Morrison duly told the Commons and chided party colleagues for seeking to raise divisions on racial lines.

But only black Americans were facing execution for rape at the time he spoke.

Figures show that, of the 122 rapes committed by Americans between 1943 and 1945, six perpetrators were executed. Five were black and the sixth was a Mexican-American who raped a 75-year-old widow at her Staffordshire home.

The most senior mandarins did not want American executions on British soil. Sir Frank Newsam, the deputy head of the Home Office, wrote: "We should take up with the Americans the question of the desirability of carrying out these sentences in America."

But the documents show that Col Edward Betts, the judge advocate general, "did not think that the US authorities would wish to do this, because if a man was taken away to be executed his fellow soldiers would not believe the sentence had been carried out and the deterrent effect would be lessened".

The Americans arrived in Britain without a scaffold and because their main method of execution - hanging with a coiled noose - was considered cruel by British authorities, they had to borrow "a set of apparatus from Wandsworth" and a British hangman.

Consequently, all of the 16 GIs hanged at the American "discipline base" at Shepton Mallet, Somerset, were put to death by Thomas Pierrepoint, Britain's chief executioner, or his nephew, Albert.

Two soldiers, who killed fellow GIs, were put to death as the US army's manual quaintly put it, "by musketry": a firing squad.

The first to die was a private, David Cobb, a black man who had killed his platoon commander in late 1942.

Other murders included that of a taxi driver in Colchester, a 35-year-old widow in Henley-on-Thames and a pimp in Belfast.

Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/25/ngi25.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/25/ixhome.html)

And you're bringing this up now, why?

cancel2 2022
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
And you're bringing this up now, why?

Because there are many that would prefer to forget about it, including you, apparently.

DamnYankee
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Because there are many that would prefer to forget about it, including you, apparently. How many of you limeys committed crimes when you came over here to help us out in WW2? Oh that's right, it wasn't our asses that needed saving. :)

Norman Paperman
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Just sayin'. Again.

Mott the Hoople
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
You're just hearing about this now?ROTFLMAO.....That's exactly what I was thinking! LOL LOL

Mott the Hoople
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Just sayin'.That she was!

Mott the Hoople
03-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Because there are many that would prefer to forget about it, including you, apparently.That's a point to be well taken. One should not forget about the struggles for freedoms or the injustices of the past but let us not forget that the struggle still continues.

cancel2 2022
03-14-2010, 05:10 AM
That she was!

There's no doubt about that!!

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/5/j/5j67xqvjv2pnnpj.jpg

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/z/d/zdybjljp28muljpd.jpg

Mott the Hoople
03-14-2010, 07:05 AM
I don't know about you guys but even in 1950 I would have had no problems taking her home to meet mom!

Mott the Hoople
03-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Interesting that two of the most beautiful women ever, Dandridge and Halle Barre are both from Cleveland.

PostmodernProphet
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Interesting that two of the most beautiful women ever, Dandridge and Halle Barre are both from Cleveland.

if there were fewer than 100 beautiful women in the country you might have a point.....

cancel2 2022
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
if there were fewer than 100 beautiful women in the country you might have a point.....

Why are you such a remorseless tosser?

PostmodernProphet
03-14-2010, 01:44 PM
perhaps because you have poor judgment?

cancel2 2022
03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
perhaps because you have poor judgment?

I try to make allowances for you, but you are such a taciturn git that it is very hard to do.

PostmodernProphet
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
I try to make allowances for you, but you are such a taciturn git that it is very hard to do.

???.....odd, I have never thought of myself as taciturn before.....nor, do I suspect has anyone else who knows what the word means.....

"temperamentally disinclined to talk"

cancel2 2022
03-14-2010, 04:55 PM
???.....odd, I have never thought of myself as taciturn before.....nor, do I suspect has anyone else who knows what the word means.....

"temperamentally disinclined to talk"

You're right, I meant garrulous git. It even alliterates.

Mott the Hoople
03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow. I'm impressed. You managed to burn each other and stay with in the parameters for Beyond JPP.

Nice alliteration Tom.

PMP. My taste in women speaks for itself. If you don't see the incredible beauty of Danderidge and Barre, probably due to their pigmentation, then well I feel sorry for you.

DamnYankee
03-14-2010, 06:20 PM

She doesn't look African.

PostmodernProphet
03-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow. I'm impressed. You managed to burn each other and stay with in the parameters for Beyond JPP.

Nice alliteration Tom.

PMP. My taste in women speaks for itself. If you don't see the incredible beauty of Danderidge and Barre, probably due to their pigmentation, then well I feel sorry for you.

why did you just call me a racist....simply because I wouldn't tolerate your attempt at aggrandizing an otherwise merit-less state?......there are hundreds of thousands of beautiful women in a variety of pigmentations....the fact that Cleveland had two is hardly reason to brag about Cleveland.....

PostmodernProphet
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
You're right, I meant garrulous git. It even alliterates.

I can see why you want to stand up for Cleveland.....next to what you're used to in the UK, it must seem like Paradise.....

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 07:09 AM
I can see why you want to stand up for Cleveland.....next to what you're used to in the UK, it must seem like Paradise.....

I bet you have never actually travelled outside of US certainly not to Europe anyway.

DamnYankee
03-15-2010, 07:11 AM
I bet you have never actually travelled outside of US certainly not to Europe anyway. Have you traveled to the US?

Damocles
03-15-2010, 07:17 AM
No way. I've been to the UK, while their hot water heaters are small and showers therefore short it is a very nice place.

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Have you traveled to the US?

Not in recent years, but I went several times in the late 80s and early 90s.

DamnYankee
03-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Not in recent years, but I went several times in the late 80s and early 90s. Except to see some art, ancient relics and to say "yeah I've been there", there's really not much reason to visit Europe. We've got the best of mostly everything right here.

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 08:37 AM
why did you just call me a racist....simply because I wouldn't tolerate your attempt at aggrandizing an otherwise merit-less state?......there are hundreds of thousands of beautiful women in a variety of pigmentations....the fact that Cleveland had two is hardly reason to brag about Cleveland.....Ahhh my apologies. You were dising Cleveland. I thought you were dising these two astonishingly beautiful ladies.

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Uhhhhh we dont' really care about Cleveland like you apparently do. I was just making note of the coincidence that these two extraordinarily beautiful women happened to both be from Cleveland. We perceieved you comment as insulting them, when it appears you were insulting Cleveland.

BTW, have you ever been to Cleveland?

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Ahhh my apologies. You were dising Cleveland. I thought you were dising these two astonishingly beautiful ladies.

I suspect that he needs to get some new glasses as well as a new attitude.

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Except to see some art, ancient relics and to say "yeah I've been there", there's really not much reason to visit Europe. We've got the best of mostly everything right here.Well I don't know about that but for some reason, when I make travel plans, Europe is low on my list. I have only been to Europe once for a brief business trip to Switzerland but didn't really get to see anything but the shop I was working in at Leibstadt and my hotel room, the tram and the airport. Bummer.

I'd love to visit Rome, Athens, Barcelona, Paris and London in that order.

But If I could travel any place in the world Europe is way down on my list. I'd rather got to Asia, Indonesia, South America, Africa first.

Europe would be to much like touring North America, though I certainly don't mean that in a pejorative sense. I'd certainly love to tour Europe and there's a lot of North America I'd love to see.

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Or actually visit Cleveland. It's not a bad place ya know?

DamnYankee
03-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Well I don't know about that but for some reason, when I make travel plans, Europe is low on my list. I have only been to Europe once for a brief business trip to Switzerland but didn't really get to see anything but the shop I was working in at Leibstadt and my hotel room, the tram and the airport. Bummer.

I'd love to visit Rome, Athens, Barcelona, Paris and London in that order.

But If I could travel any place in the world Europe is way down on my list. I'd rather got to Asia, Indonesia, South America, Africa first.

Europe would be to much like touring North America, though I certainly don't mean that in a pejorative sense. I'd certainly love to tour Europe and there's a lot of North America I'd love to see.

I've been to both Rome and Athens. :pke:

Rome was awesome, especially the Vatican. And literally layers of history. They demolish the old and build right on top of it! Subway tunnels have archeological displays. I came out of one coming face to face with a protester holding some sign against the Iraq War and I looked her in the eye and gleefully said "George Bush!". Her return look of pure hate was exactly how US lib-tards do it.

Greece was awesome too because of the ancient technology. We were coming back from the original Olympic site and stopped at a great restaurant, apparently everyone stops there, including the famous and politicians. They had a picture on the wall of the owner and I think Ronald Reagan, and I met the guy and he told me that he "loves George Bush". I got a picture of he and I somewhere.

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
I've been to both Rome and Athens. :pke:

Rome was awesome, especially the Vatican. And literally layers of history. They demolish the old and build right on top of it! Subway tunnels have archeological displays. I came out of one coming face to face with a protester holding some sign against the Iraq War and I looked her in the eye and gleefully said "George Bush!". Her return look of pure hate was exactly how US lib-tards do it.

Greece was awesome too because of the ancient technology. We were coming back from the original Olympic site and stopped at a great restaurant, apparently everyone stops there, including the famous and politicians. They had a picture on the wall of the owner and I think Ronald Reagan, and I met the guy and he told me that he "loves George Bush". I got a picture of he and I somewhere.
I try to stay away from politics when I travel. Particularly in Asia.....considered very poor manners to even bring politics up there.

DamnYankee
03-15-2010, 10:34 AM
I try to stay away from politics when I travel. Particularly in Asia.....considered very poor manners to even bring politics up there. It was a good way to interact with these two locals. They clearly had a passion for it, as do I.

Canceled1
03-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Cleveland Rocks! :clink:

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Cleveland Rocks! :clink:
A Hoople wrote that song ya know? :)

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
No way. I've been to the UK, while their hot water heaters are small and showers therefore short it is a very nice place.

so it's your position that Cleveland is WORSE than everywhere in the UK?.....(before you answer, be aware that my brother was stationed in Glasgow for 12 months while he was in the Air Force.....I've seen pictures).........

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 11:48 AM

I'm not sure Cleveland wouldn't come off better using some drugstore reading glasses.....as far as "attitude" is concerned, you were the one who decided to make a personal attack on me just because I pulled his leg about Cleveland.....I expect you're just being overly sensitive because you're self conscious about being such an ass..........

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 11:51 AM

I was about to say yes when I remembered your airport is actually in another state.....no wait, that's Cincinnati......Cleveland we drove around so we could go to Six Flags.....

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure Cleveland wouldn't come off better using some drugstore reading glasses.....as far as "attitude" is concerned, you were the one who decided to make a personal attack on me just because I pulled his leg about Cleveland.....I expect you're just being overly sensitive because you're self conscious about being such an ass..........

Screw Cleveland, I'm talking about your inability to know a beautiful woman when you see one. You are either blind or need some testosterone supplements

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Screw Cleveland, I'm talking about your inability to know a beautiful woman when you see one. You are either blind or need some testosterone supplements

????.....where did you come up with the idea I thought they weren't beautiful?......you Brits certainly aren't long on the thinking department, are you.....

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 02:54 PM
????.....where did you come up with the idea I thought they weren't beautiful?......you Brits certainly aren't long on the thinking department, are you.....

Man, you are a real headcase.

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
/shrugs....you called me silly names because you couldn't read and you call me a headcase?......

Mott the Hoople
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
I was about to say yes when I remembered your airport is actually in another state.....no wait, that's Cincinnati......Cleveland we drove around so we could go to Six Flags.....
Well now you know why I live in Columbus! The biggest small town in the world! :)

And before you pick on Ohio to much... I have been to Iowa. Great people but not a lot going on there but corn fields and rivers with unpronounceable names like Wapsipinican and Maquoketa.

DamnYankee
03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Well now you know why I live in Columbus! The biggest small town in the world! :)

And before you pick on Ohio to much... I have been to Iowa. Great people but not a lot going on there but corn fields and rivers with unpronounceable names like Wapsipinican and Maquoketa. But those rivers don't catch fire.

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
/shrugs....you called me silly names because you couldn't read and you call me a headcase?......

I called you names for making stupid statements, it will also be noted that you only felt able to do that rather than comment on the incident in the Las Vegas hotel. You may think you're intensely amusing but most others think you are wearisome and boorish.

if there were fewer than 100 beautiful women in the country you might have a point....

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 05:33 PM

And before you pick on Ohio to much... I have been to Iowa. Great people but not a lot going on there but corn fields and rivers with unpronounceable names like Wapsipinican and Maquoketa.

ah, but Iowa is where I am from.....I live in Michigan now.....over on the good west side....where we have unpronounceable names like Macatawa and Otsego.....not to mention Graafschaap and Overeisel....

(dang, you made me google Wapsipinican)

PostmodernProphet
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I called you names for making stupid statements, it will also be noted that you only felt able to do that rather than comment on the incident in the Las Vegas hotel. You may think you're intensely amusing but most others think you are wearisome and boorish.

it isn't that hard to interpret.....mott was bragging because two beautiful women were from Ohio....I merely pointed out that most states are going to have at least two beautiful women.....

cancel2 2022
03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
it isn't that hard to interpret.....mott was bragging because two beautiful women were from Ohio....I merely pointed out that most states are going to have at least two beautiful women.....

Yet still you cannot find any time to comment on the actual thrust of this post??

PostmodernProphet
03-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Yet still you cannot find any time to comment on the actual thrust of this post??

????....I didn't see anything to argue with....

Taichiliberal
03-17-2010, 07:57 PM

:clink:

Mott the Hoople
03-19-2010, 05:16 AM
But those rivers don't catch fire.and neither do the ones in Ohio anymore thanks to EPA and the CWA.