PDA

View Full Version : APP - Microsoft To Allow Users To Choose Browsers

cancel2 2022
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
The EU has finally done something constructive and forced Microsoft to give users a choice of browser, the US government should learn from this and do the same in mainland USA.

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/2/19/microsoft-allow-windows-users-choose-browsers/

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.34486

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2258200/microsoft-details-browser

RockX
03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
It only took them 10 years to get Microsoft do that, what a waste of time & effort over something so dumb.

:Googler:

cancel2 2022
03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
It only took them 10 years to get Microsoft do that, what a waste of time & effort over something so dumb.

:Googler:

That you don't understand the significance of this is hardly surprising and par for the course.

PostmodernProphet
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm puzzled....I have never had any problem using Firefox before this "significant" change.....

cancel2 2022
03-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm puzzled....I have never had any problem using Firefox before this "significant" change.....

So what's your point? It is aimed at the many people who don't even realise that there are alternatives, if that wasn't true how do you explain why so many are still using the pile of shit otherwise known as IE6??

FUCK THE POLICE
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
We already have a choice of browsers. If you remove an operating systems ability to provide a default browser, what about linux, which comes bundled with all kinds of programs by default, including a browser?

FUCK THE POLICE
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
So what's your point? It is aimed at the many people who don't even realise that there are alternatives, if that wasn't true how do you explain why so many are still using the pile of shit otherwise known as IE6??

Because they're noobs?

RockX
03-06-2010, 12:14 AM
That you don't understand the significance of this is hardly surprising and par for the course.

LOL

Yes, I do understand, you need the government to protect you and tell you what to do. Again a simple web search would lead any noob to the various browsers available. Again, 10 years to get MS to create this for you EU noobs.

http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_en.htm

FUCK THE POLICE
03-06-2010, 02:53 AM
The browser descriptions are also misleading. Opera, for instance, isn't that much particularly faster. Almost anyone would be happiest with either Firefox or Chrome. To a n00b it wouldn't really matter, so I don't see a point. Also, it disturbs me that they require it of Microsoft, but not of Apple and Linux.

cancel2 2022
03-06-2010, 05:38 AM
LOL

Yes, I do understand, you need the government to protect you and tell you what to do. Again a simple web search would lead any noob to the various browsers available. Again, 10 years to get MS to create this for you EU noobs.

http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_en.htm

No you don't, but frankly I couldn't give a shit what your opinion is as I've never seen anything from you that I've agreed with, so I am hardly going to start now. Microsoft have had a stranglehold on the browser and personal OS market for far too long and this is a step on the road to levelling the playing field.

cancel2 2022
03-06-2010, 06:01 AM
The browser descriptions are also misleading. Opera, for instance, isn't that much particularly faster. Almost anyone would be happiest with either Firefox or Chrome. To a n00b it wouldn't really matter, so I don't see a point. Also, it disturbs me that they require it of Microsoft, but not of Apple and Linux.

Do you use Linux? I use Kubuntu and that only comes with Konqueror which no one uses, virtually any other browser is available a few clicks away in the Kubuntu repositories. If Microsoft wanted IE8 to work with Linux then they would have developed it, now wouldn't they? For all your leftish leanings it seems that you are a corporate man at heart!!

I have Chromium, Safari, Opera, Flock, Midori and Firefox installed so that I can compare them against each other and I find Opera 10 to be an excellent browser but I still prefer Firefox for all the extensions and addons. As for Apple, they will have to follow suit in due course, the first job is to raise consumer awareness and to finally get rid of that fucking abomination called IE6.

Ask yourself some simple questions? Why have Microsoft been so loath to allow other browsers to be selected by default? Why do they do their level best to not adhere to standards? And finally, why are they developing Silverlight and not supporting HTML5?

YouTube- IE is Being Mean to Me

PostmodernProphet
03-06-2010, 07:03 AM

because they don't care?.....

cancel2 2022
03-06-2010, 07:14 AM
because they don't care?.....

Well when IE6 is boycotted by most websites they will have to care.

http://blog.tamar.com/2010/02/ie6-grinding-to-a-slow-stop/

PostmodernProphet
03-06-2010, 07:24 AM

I don't even know what version of IE is on my computer, since I haven't used it since I bought it.....but, I do know that IE8 is the current release.....how old is IE6, a year, two, more?......

cancel2 2022
03-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't even know what version of IE is on my computer, since I haven't used it since I bought it.....but, I do know that IE8 is the current release.....how old is IE6, a year, two, more?......

It was released in 2001!!

FUCK THE POLICE
03-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Do you use Linux? I use Kubuntu and that only comes with Konqueror which no one uses, virtually any other browser is available a few clicks away in the Kubuntu repositories. If Microsoft wanted IE8 to work with Linux then they would have developed it, now wouldn't they? For all your leftish leanings it seems that you are a corporate man at heart!!

I have Chromium, Safari, Opera, Flock, Midori and Firefox installed so that I can compare them against each other and I find Opera 10 to be an excellent browser but I still prefer Firefox for all the extensions and addons. As for Apple, they will have to follow suit in due course, the first job is to raise consumer awareness and to finally get rid of that fucking abomination called IE6.

Ask yourself some simple questions? Why have Microsoft been so loath to allow other browsers to be selected by default? Why do they do their level best to not adhere to standards? And finally, why are they developing Silverlight and not supporting HTML5?

I dunno, Tom. I just think it's silly for the government to go in and try to right every wrong that exists in a products, especially with something like this, that is ultimately driven by taste.

In Windows, installation of Firefox is always also just a few clicks away. And they should've required this of Apple as well, which is, if anything, much more restrictive about things that Microsoft.

cancel2 2022
03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I dunno, Tom. I just think it's silly for the government to go in and try to right every wrong that exists in a products, especially with something like this, that is ultimately driven by taste.

In Windows, installation of Firefox is always also just a few clicks away. And they should've required this of Apple as well, which is, if anything, much more restrictive about things that Microsoft.

Apple do not have Microsoft's stranglehold on the market, so they are not worth worrying about yet. I might also remind you that Clinton wanted to break Microsoft up but Bush stopped it from happening. It seems that many Americans have little awareness of their own recent history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/07/business/us-vs-microsoft-overview-us-abandoning-its-effort-break-apart-microsoft-saying.html?pagewanted=1

PostmodernProphet
03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
It was released in 2001!!

so you think the world will shake when they ban a nine year old browser?......

FUCK THE POLICE
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, Microsoft's decision to eliminate browser competition by incorporating IE pretty much doomed the for-profit browser market. I agree, that we probably would've been better off to break up Microsoft. Antitrust prosecutors today have no balls.

However, it also lead to the disincentive Microsoft had to improve IE6. They had no updates for six years. This let the open-source browser market catch up, and currently I expect open source or alternative browsers like FF and Chrome to be in majority territory within five years. It really wasn't all terrible.

FUCK THE POLICE
03-06-2010, 06:52 PM

I really do honestly think the world would be better off if we'd just ban IE6.

But I'm not a fascist, so it leaves me with few options besides spreading the word.

PostmodernProphet
03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I really do honestly think the world would be better off if we'd just ban IE6.

But I'm not a fascist, so it leaves me with few options besides spreading the word.

but, what would the ten people still using it do?.......

cancel2 2022
03-07-2010, 03:53 AM

Nearly 10% of Internet Explorer users still use version 6, many of those are in a corporate environment where the businesses are too lazy to upgrade but a good proportion are private users who are too computer illiterate to realise there is a choice.

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Msieshare1)

cancel2 2022
03-07-2010, 04:04 AM

It won't do any harm and it might do a lot of good, I would also get rid of IE7 and 8 as well but that's just me.

cancel2 2022
03-07-2010, 04:05 AM

Well, you got the 10 right anyway, it is 10% of total users.

PostmodernProphet
03-07-2010, 06:59 AM
I think it's ironic that you talk about being computer illiterate and not knowing there are choices and then you quote me three different times to say three different things.....next time, consider the edit button.....

PostmodernProphet
03-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Well, you got the 10 right anyway, it is 10% of total users.

not to be picky or anything, but when I went to your link source, it said almost 20%....but I'm curious.....since this many people not only don't know how to change browsers, they don't even know how to click yes, when they get a user message saying "would you like to upgrade for free now", why do you think giving them a choice is worth the government's effort?..........

cancel2 2022
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
not to be picky or anything, but when I went to your link source, it said almost 20%....but I'm curious.....since this many people not only don't know how to change browsers, they don't even know how to click yes, when they get a user message saying "would you like to upgrade for free now", why do you think giving them a choice is worth the government's effort?..........

Yes it is 20% of overall IE usage but around 10% of total browser market share.

Timshel
03-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Microsoft will eventually stop supporting IE6. Who cares? That is part of the software life cycle.

I spent many hours last night updating the firmware on on old router to use it as a repeater bridge. It was a somewhat complicated and finicky process with several steps. After hours of going back to square one because I thought I had screwed something up, I found documentation that Firefox and Chrome (I use Firefox) had some problem saving settings to the router. I finished it pretty quickly, with IE, after that.

Anti-MS people are cult like. There is no need to ban, boycott or pressure people to use the browser you think is best. The people can make their own choices. They do not need your help.

Personally, I will use what works best at a reasonable price (browsers are free largely due to MS). I don't care who makes it.

Well, except for Apple (bunch of Nazis) products. But even there, I might try one of their products free of hooks.

PostmodernProphet
03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes it is 20% of overall IE usage but around 10% of total browser market share.
???....I just looked at it again....it says 34.39% of over all IE usage and 21.18% of total browsers.....as a matter of fact, I just cut and pasted the numbers....

cancel2 2022
03-08-2010, 04:07 AM
???....I just looked at it again....it says 34.39% of over all IE usage and 21.18% of total browsers.....as a matter of fact, I just cut and pasted the numbers....

Have you considered changing your name to Post Modern Pedant? By the way, it appears that it has worked already.

http://www.dailytech.com/Opera+Browser+Downloads+Triple+After+Microsoft+Air s+Browser+Ballot/article17836.htm

cancel2 2022
03-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Microsoft will eventually stop supporting IE6. Who cares? That is part of the software life cycle.

I spent many hours last night updating the firmware on on old router to use it as a repeater bridge. It was a somewhat complicated and finicky process with several steps. After hours of going back to square one because I thought I had screwed something up, I found documentation that Firefox and Chrome (I use Firefox) had some problem saving settings to the router. I finished it pretty quickly, with IE, after that.

Anti-MS people are cult like. There is no need to ban, boycott or pressure people to use the browser you think is best. The people can make their own choices. They do not need your help.

Personally, I will use what works best at a reasonable price (browsers are free largely due to MS). I don't care who makes it.

Well, except for Apple (bunch of Nazis) products. But even there, I might try one of their products free of hooks.

But that is exactly what is happening, people are being given a choice which they didn't know existed primarily due to apathy/ignorance.

Whilst we are about it, ask yourself why the US government filed a protracted anti trust case against Microsoft because of the way it treated Netscape. If it hadn't been for Bush II, Microsoft would have been split up long ago, as was ATT before it, resulting in a much fairer marketplace. It really amazes me how many people here argue for a state of laissez faire economics to reign, isn't that exactly why the financial markets went into meltdown? I suggest that they bone up on the Standard Oil anti trust case of the first decade of the 20th century. When you've done that then you might care to go to the link below for the reasons why the decision was taken.

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/02/06/the-european-commission-and-microsoft/

PostmodernProphet
03-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Have you considered changing your name to Post Modern Pedant? By the way, it appears that it has worked already.

http://www.dailytech.com/Opera+Browser+Downloads+Triple+After+Microsoft+Air s+Browser+Ballot/article17836.htm

it's not my fault you needed to be pedanted......

cancel2 2022
03-08-2010, 07:14 AM
it's not my fault you needed to be pedanted......

IT seems to me that you are the sort of person that gets an orgasmic delight in nit picking. I looked at that again and it has been changed, obviously Microsoft or somebody disputed the figures.

Timshel
03-08-2010, 07:42 AM
But that is exactly what is happening, people are being given a choice which they didn't know existed primarily due to apathy/ignorance.

They are apathetic about it, because IE works for them. They do not see a need to change. Just because it is not your choice does not mean it is the wrong one.

Whilst we are about it, ask yourself why the US government filed a protracted anti trust case against Microsoft because of the way it treated Netscape. If it hadn't been for Bush II, Microsoft would have been split up long ago, as was ATT before it, resulting in a much fairer marketplace. It really amazes me how many people here argue for a state of laissez faire economics to reign, isn't that exactly why the financial markets went into meltdown? I suggest that they bone up on the Standard Oil anti trust case of the first decade of the 20th century. When you've done that then you might care to go to the link below for the reasons why the decision was taken.

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/02/06/the-european-commission-and-microsoft/

Good for Bush then.

cancel2 2022
03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
They are apathetic about it, because IE works for them. They do not see a need to change. Just because it is not your choice does not mean it is the wrong one.

Good for Bush then.

Obviously you are happy with near monopolies having a stranglehold on the market stifling innovation and queering the pitch for others. Anyway how can you have a choice if you are unaware of the alternatives, if people want to choose IE then that is their right but there is no harm in presenting a choice except to MS of course. How many people have even heard of Opera, Midori or Flock? I suspect that what you are really saying is that as you couldn't care less then you can't see why others might, that says more about you than anything else.

The next target to go after is Windows Media Player which is just pathetic and restrictive. There are many formats that it will not play such as MP4, OGG and FLV.

Timshel
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Obviously you are happy with near monopolies having a stranglehold on the market stifling innovation and queering the pitch for others. Anyway how can you have a choice if you are unaware of the alternatives, if people want to choose IE then that is their right but there is no harm in presenting a choice except to MS of course. How many people have even heard of Opera, Midori or Flock? I suspect that what you are really saying is that as you couldn't care less then you can't see why others might, that says more about you than anything else.

I do not care how much market share they have, except in considerations of what I need to support. I certainly do not care when picking the right tool. As I pointed out, I have found several cases where Firefox is not the best tool, though it is the one I use most often.

The only legitimate concern regarding monopolies is if they actually attempt to control users. Naturally, companies will try to influence our decisions. They do that by simply offering a product. If they do so in way I find intrusive or burdensome (like Apple does) then I just will not use their product. I have not found Microsoft to be overly controlling at all.

So what, now we need to have equal time for browsers? Maybe we should fund some commercials for the lesser known browsers? How about other products?

They have always had a choice. One can choose to remain ignorant, as well. My guess is most did not see the need to change their browser. They may not have seen a need to research alternatives. That indicates that they are probably satisfied with their browser or at least not so dissatisfied to get them to act.

My guess, is most people who need to know about Opera do. If they do not, it is not because the information is unavailable. The other two maybe not, but why not demand that MS give those choices equal billing? Where does this need to educate the consumer end and why?

The next target to go after is Windows Media Player which is just pathetic and restrictive. There are many formats that it will not play such as MP4, OGG and FLV.

That's straight fascism. We do not need the state to pick market winners. They do a horrible job of it and are incredibly inefficient at choosing. The market has always been far superior in that regard. Further, I do not understand why you feel it is critical in this area and not all others?

If people are too dumb to pick their browser or media player, then why not their toothpaste? Do we need to make sure that they know all their options in toothpaste?

KingCondanomation
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I just wish they would come together and standardize on how they interpret html, CSS and Javascript, I have had a fair amount of pain with constantly fixing problems that only apply to 1 or 2 browsers and work for the rest. I don't bother testing my shit in Opera anymore as at least thanks to Google analytics I can tell damn near no one visits my sites with it.

Minister of Truth
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Apple do not have Microsoft's stranglehold on the market, so they are not worth worrying about yet. I might also remind you that Clinton wanted to break Microsoft up but Bush stopped it from happening. It seems that many Americans have little awareness of their own recent history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/07/business/us-vs-microsoft-overview-us-abandoning-its-effort-break-apart-microsoft-saying.html?pagewanted=1

As a Seattleite, all I can say is fuck that shit!!

PostmodernProphet
03-09-2010, 06:43 AM
I just wish they would come together and standardize on how they interpret html, CSS and Javascript, I have had a fair amount of pain with constantly fixing problems that only apply to 1 or 2 browsers and work for the rest. I don't bother testing my shit in Opera anymore as at least thanks to Google analytics I can tell damn near no one visits my sites with it.

ah, standardization.....that of course, is why Microsoft exists in the first place.......I can remember when computers didn't HAVE operating systems and you never knew if a program written by someone else was going to work in your computer.......you had to know BASIC programming just to use a computer....

cancel2 2022
03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
ah, standardization.....that of course, is why Microsoft exists in the first place.......I can remember when computers didn't HAVE operating systems and you never knew if a program written by someone else was going to work in your computer.......you had to know BASIC programming just to use a computer....

You really don't have a clue, do you? MS will always try to fuck about, which is why IE is so bad at adhering to standards.

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/06/file-format-timeline.html

PostmodernProphet
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
so the one who has a clue is the one objecting to a company providing exactly what a large share of computer owners want.....something they can use out of the box and not have to worry about "complicated" things like choosing a browser......the old man across the street asks me to come set up his internet access every time he comes back from Florida because he hasnt the slightest idea how to do it.....so I go over and click the button that automatically sets it up and he's tickled pink about his wonderful neighbors.....he doesn't care if IE isn't his best option....all he cares about is that he pushes one button and he gets his email and he pushes another button and he ends up at his favorite website....if I set him up with Firefox he would lose sleep for weeks worrying about new buttons to push.....

cancel2 2022
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
so the one who has a clue is the one objecting to a company providing exactly what a large share of computer owners want.....something they can use out of the box and not have to worry about "complicated" things like choosing a browser......the old man across the street asks me to come set up his internet access every time he comes back from Florida because he hasnt the slightest idea how to do it.....so I go over and click the button that automatically sets it up and he's tickled pink about his wonderful neighbors.....he doesn't care if IE isn't his best option....all he cares about is that he pushes one button and he gets his email and he pushes another button and he ends up at his favorite website....if I set him up with Firefox he would lose sleep for weeks worrying about new buttons to push.....

The birth of Internet Explorer

http://www.dweebist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ele-480x360.jpg

tinfoil
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
You really don't have a clue, do you? MS will always try to fuck about, which is why IE is so bad at adhering to standards.

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/06/file-format-timeline.html

Threadjack!!
Just modified this today. finally got the damn mousewheel events to fire in internet explorer.

Behold javascript and html5 canvas fans, (Yeah, I know none of you care... LOL)

I bring you a fresh update to one of the latest canvas demos over at
canvasdemos.com. The coder of the experiment needed just a couple of additions to make it work in all browsers, so I added them.
HTML5 canvas slippy map for internet explorer with dragging and mousewheel resizing.

http://www.pdxbusiness.com/canvas/slippymap/

Show internet explorer who's boss!

They don't want their customers to enjoy this fine script, but thanks to the programmer who created excanvas.js, they don't have a choice. That is until they block their browser from working with canvas elements. How soon that happens, who knows?

FUCK THE POLICE
03-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I do not care how much market share they have, except in considerations of what I need to support. I certainly do not care when picking the right tool. As I pointed out, I have found several cases where Firefox is not the best tool, though it is the one I use most often.

The only legitimate concern regarding monopolies is if they actually attempt to control users. Naturally, companies will try to influence our decisions. They do that by simply offering a product. If they do so in way I find intrusive or burdensome (like Apple does) then I just will not use their product. I have not found Microsoft to be overly controlling at all.

So what, now we need to have equal time for browsers? Maybe we should fund some commercials for the lesser known browsers? How about other products?

They have always had a choice. One can choose to remain ignorant, as well. My guess is most did not see the need to change their browser. They may not have seen a need to research alternatives. That indicates that they are probably satisfied with their browser or at least not so dissatisfied to get them to act.

My guess, is most people who need to know about Opera do. If they do not, it is not because the information is unavailable. The other two maybe not, but why not demand that MS give those choices equal billing? Where does this need to educate the consumer end and why?

That's straight fascism. We do not need the state to pick market winners. They do a horrible job of it and are incredibly inefficient at choosing. The market has always been far superior in that regard. Further, I do not understand why you feel it is critical in this area and not all others?

If people are too dumb to pick their browser or media player, then why not their toothpaste? Do we need to make sure that they know all their options in toothpaste?

Most of the people who use IE6 are too dumb to know any better. IE8 is a pretty decent browser, but any moderately saavy user will probably abandon it as well.

I just really don't get it. I mean, what are we supposed to do next? Sue microsoft for providing notepad, and thus monopolizing the uber-cheap word processor market? Sue them for providing the calculator app, thus monpolizing the calculator market? Seriously. I just don't give a damn. The first thing any saavy computer user does it to install a decent browser.

FUCK THE POLICE
03-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Under WM's Socialist Republic of America, all shall be standardized.

tinfoil
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Most of the people who use IE6 are too dumb to know any better. IE8 is a pretty decent browser, but any moderately saavy user will probably abandon it as well.

I just really don't get it. I mean, what are we supposed to do next? Sue microsoft for providing notepad, and thus monopolizing the uber-cheap word processor market? Sue them for providing the calculator app, thus monpolizing the calculator market? Seriously. I just don't give a damn. The first thing any saavy computer user does it to install a decent browser.

So, in other words, you're for the free-market solution!

PostmodernProphet
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Under WM's Socialist Republic of America, all shall be standardized.

there will never be a WM Socialist Republic of America....everytime he raises his head in the village the rest of the villagers hang him.......makes for really short revolutions.....

Minister of Truth
03-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Tom, this is officially the most usless thread you've ever posted. Please stick to bizarre video finds, hot women, and other hobby-related finds.

BTW, I'm using IE8.

Damocles
03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
BTW - Opera actually is much faster than Firefox. Much. I've been testing it out for a few days now and the difference is noticeable.

PostmodernProphet
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
it's probably because the Opera search engine is sitting around waiting for something to do.....

FUCK THE POLICE
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
what about chrome?

Damocles
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
what about chrome?
Chrome isn't bad, but it takes more getting used to. Opera seems to act much like Firefox and not have the learning curve.

cancel2 2022
03-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Tom, this is officially the most usless thread you've ever posted. Please stick to bizarre video finds, hot women, and other hobby-related finds.

BTW, I'm using IE8.

I can only surmise that you have shares in Microsoft or maybe you are hoping for a job.

I will go and find some weird videos for you now otherwise you won't stop whining.

In the meantime you need to read this:

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/03/19/new-ie8-still-slowest-browser

cancel2 2022
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
BTW - Opera actually is much faster than Firefox. Much. I've been testing it out for a few days now and the difference is noticeable.

Agreed and it also gets 100% on the Acid 3 test (http://acid3.acidtests.org/)

Firefox will speed up considerably soon.

http://www.neowin.net/news/firefox039s-upcoming-javascript-engine-uses-webkit-code?showcomments=true

cancel2 2022
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Threadjack!!
Just modified this today. finally got the damn mousewheel events to fire in internet explorer.

Behold javascript and html5 canvas fans, (Yeah, I know none of you care... LOL)

I bring you a fresh update to one of the latest canvas demos over at
canvasdemos.com. The coder of the experiment needed just a couple of additions to make it work in all browsers, so I added them.
HTML5 canvas slippy map for internet explorer with dragging and mousewheel resizing.

http://www.pdxbusiness.com/canvas/slippymap/

Show internet explorer who's boss!

They don't want their customers to enjoy this fine script, but thanks to the programmer who created excanvas.js, they don't have a choice. That is until they block their browser from working with canvas elements. How soon that happens, who knows?

The curious thing is that the canvas element was developed by Apple and then taken up by Opera. Microsoft will do their level best to try to sink it with Silverlight.

PostmodernProphet
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Chrome isn't bad, but it takes more getting used to. Opera seems to act much like Firefox and not have the learning curve.

I like Chrome except for the bookmarking system.....

FUCK THE POLICE
03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Agreed and it also gets 100% on the Acid 3 test (http://acid3.acidtests.org/)

Firefox will speed up considerably soon.

http://www.neowin.net/news/firefox039s-upcoming-javascript-engine-uses-webkit-code?showcomments=true

Interesting. Firefox only gets 93%.

FUCK THE POLICE
03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
The curious thing is that the canvas element was developed by Apple and then taken up by Opera. Microsoft will do their level best to try to sink it with Silverlight.

I am predicting that silverlight will just die. Microsofts attempts to dominate the standards have never worked well.

cancel2 2022
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM

FF 3.6 gets 94% and it should be 100% in 3.7

IE 8 gets 20% which is shit but IE 6 and 7 do even worse.

tinfoil
03-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I am predicting that silverlight will just die. Microsofts attempts to dominate the standards have never worked well.

This. Nobody wants to deal with updates and stuff with flash or silverlight on the user end. they see the plugin missing logo and just leave your page.

And I'm not paying for flash or silverlight( if I need it to compile apps... don't know?)
The canvas and html5 can do whatever you want with sound, video, images, and other stuff.

The downside is you can't protect your coding with javascript.
And you don't have to update all the time. (that's what's bad for M$)

USFREEDOM911
03-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Back in 1971, I actually took and passed a course in Fortran and another 1 in Cobalt.
I can still do flow charts; but I've thankfully forgotten the rest.
I think I still have the books though.

cancel2 2022
03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Back in 1971, I actually took and passed a course in Fortran and another 1 in Cobalt.
I can still do flow charts; but I've thankfully forgotten the rest.
I think I still have the books though.

Don't you mean Cobol?

USFREEDOM911
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Don't you mean Cobol?

YEP, that should tell you now long ago it was. :cof1:

cancel2 2022
03-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Firefox 3.6 is nearly up to 150,000,000 downloads

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/stats/

FUCK THE POLICE
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I just download 3.6 and it gives me a 92%.

:-/

cancel2 2022
03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I just download 3.6 and it gives me a 92%.

:-/

You are supposed to use it with default settings.

Acid3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_3_Test)

cancel2 2022
03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Opera downloads have increased massively after the Microsoft browser ballot was introduced. How amazing that when you give people a choice they exercise their right to use it. Isn't that the American way?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=3217743

Browser ballot leads to 85% increase in Opera downloads

Web users encouraged to try new browsers

Carrie-Ann Skinner

Opera Software (http://www.opera.com/) claims UK downloads of its Opera 10.50 web browser have increased by 85 percent since Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.co.uk/) made its 'browser choice screen' (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3213827) available.

The 'web browser' choice screen' was made available at the start of March, and is part of a proposal (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=119792) by the software developer (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=3217743#) to help settle the EU's antitrust investigation (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=109651), which was sparked by a complaint filed by the Norwegian browser developer (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=3217743#) in December 2007.
The screen offers 12 different browsers - a mix of popular programs (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=3217743#) such as Firefox (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?ReviewID=3210192), Google Chrome (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?ReviewID=103860) and Opera, along with lesser-known browsers such as Sleipnir, Green Browser, Maxthon, Avant and Flock.

http://media.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/news/3217743/browser_screen.jpg

It is available to Windows PCs that use Internet Explorer (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?ReviewID=110054) as the default browser via the Windows Update system, which is used to distribute security patches.

"This confirms that when users are given a real choice on how they choose the most important piece of software on their computer, the browser, they will try out alternatives" said Håkon Wium Lie, CTO at Opera.

"A multitude of browsers will make the web (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=3217743#) more standardised and easier to browse".
Opera also said 46 percent of all UK downloads of the web browser had come directly from the browser choice screen.

Web users will continue to be offered the choice screen well into May for existing Windows computers and for five years on new installations.

cancel2 2022
03-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Good news for all the other browsers, IE9 won't be supported by Windows XP.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/unsurprisingly-ie9-wont-be-supported-on-an-obsolete-os.ars

egordon0315
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Good news for all the other browsers, IE9 won't be supported by Windows XP.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/unsurprisingly-ie9-wont-be-supported-on-an-obsolete-os.ars
Well, that's going to suck big time for my job as grants.gov only accepts NIH grant applications through IE, not Mozilla, and I don't know whatever else it won't recognize. What will support IE9?

Minister of Truth
03-21-2010, 12:35 PM
:woot:

cancel2 2022
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, that's going to suck big time for my job as grants.gov only accepts NIH grant applications through IE, not Mozilla, and I don't know whatever else it won't recognize. What will support IE9?

Windows 7 presumably but that doesn't mean that all the other IE versions won't be around. My God, IE6 is still around after 9 years.

cancel2 2022
03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
:woot:

I am happy as well, it means that there will be millions of disgruntled users worldwide who will migrate to other browsers.

http://chisa.deviantart.com/art/tutorial-IE-voodoo-doll-65352093

cancel2 2022
04-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Windows 7 presumably but that doesn't mean that all the other IE versions won't be around. My God, IE6 is still around after 9 years.

IE6 refuses to die.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2010-03/inside-excruciatingly-slow-death-internet-explorer-6

Minister of Truth
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I am happy as well, it means that there will be millions of disgruntled users worldwide who will migrate to other browsers.

http://chisa.deviantart.com/art/tutorial-IE-voodoo-doll-65352093

LOLZ I'm loving the hatred of Microsoft. Its so fucking pointless, and its entertaining!! :cof1:

cancel2 2022
04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
LOLZ I'm loving the hatred of Microsoft. Its so fucking pointless, and its entertaining!! :cof1:

There are some very compelling reasons why Microsoft et al are so hated as this article explains in great detail.

http://www.raiden.net/articles/the_taxes_of_the_tech_world_-_linux_microsoft_and_more/

FUCK THE POLICE
04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I wish they'd make a mandatory download patch for XP that made computers using IE6 explode. Fuck you, morons!

cancel2 2022
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I wish they'd make a mandatory download patch for XP that made computers using IE6 explode. Fuck you, morons!

IE6 does a pretty good job of that unintentionally! Holy shit, even Microsoft want to get rid of it.

http://www.itworld.com/endpoint-security/76425/even-microsoft-wants-you-get-rid-ie-6