PDA

View Full Version : 12 years of Republican controlled congress

uscitizen
12-09-2006, 01:27 PM
And how many of their promises have they kept ? Are we better off now than 12 years ago ? And the last 6 of those years we had a Repub in the WH as well.. with one veto to his record.
What are your thoughts ?

HipLew
12-12-2006, 08:57 AM
if i go by financially; the answer is no, i'm not better off now than i was 6 years ago. inflation for everyday itmes such as food and energy and local prperty taxes have killed me the small by comparison federal level tax cuts helped a bit, but not nearly enough. my average wage increas has been about 2.5% for the last six years, and becasue of the increases in big dololar stuff i mentioned, my wife has had to go to work part time and we'er pretty much in the same financial shape we were in 6 years ago.

is it all the national republican's fault? no, because some of what has happened is at the local/state level controlled by both parties in NY. but they sure haven't done anything at all to stop the bleeding in the economy for good paying lew skilled jobs that really do a lot to support the people of this country (and frankly i don't see that the dems are gonna do much better).

uscitizen
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah I am pretty much the same Hip. although I finally did get a 25% raise, the first one in 5 years. And I am now making close to what I was before my job was outsourced to India.....
So I have not quite held level over the past 6-7 years, but close with the nice raise I recently got.

Damocles
12-12-2006, 09:22 AM
If you go only financially, I am better off than before. If you go by satisfaction with the current way things are run, then no I am not better off. I am and have been extremely disappointed with the focus of the government on social "conservative" issues rather than strong fiscal policy.

uscitizen
12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
More petro dollars are converting to the Euro all the time, not a good thing.
the dollar is in a big slump. National debt is in warp drive and climbing.

The housing slump is quite possibly going to hit us as hard as the dot com bust, of course this is not really a govt induced problem, but an additional economic burden none the less.
I was watching experts discuss this on Cspan last night.