PDA

View Full Version : APP - Ironic: Urban green spaces contribute to global warming

tinfoil
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100119133515.htm

LOLZ

tinfoil
01-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Bump for a LOL

Minister of Truth
01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
These finds have become a hallmark of the AGWarrior that is Stirfry. Well done.

:clink:

tinfoil
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
LOL bump for more green laughs

Bonestorm
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Urban green spaces are about making urban areas more pleasant to live in. I don't know that many people that advocate for urban green spaces based on a climate change argument.

DamnYankee
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
After rebuilding my lawn I spent a lot of money on water to keep it alive for the first few years but now I no longer have to water. The key is to get the roots to grow deep by fertilizing at 1/2 rate in the late winter so it grows as fast as possible during the cool months but uses up its fertilizer before the summer heat sets in. Then you keep it long and thirsty during the summer so it uses its stored nutrients to build a deep root structure. Apply the second half of the fertilizer in early fall and it will green up and continue to grow roots all winter long.

After about five years I did some agricultural cores and found that the root depth had gone to 24". I'm guessing now at year 13 I'm down to 4 feet deep or so.

The other thing that really helps is compost. I filled the back of an Explorer with $1 bags of it when I rebuilt the lawn and spread all of it on the front. My front lawn is much better than the rear and that's the sole reason.

tinfoil
01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Urban green spaces are about making urban areas more pleasant to live in. I don't know that many people that advocate for urban green spaces based on a climate change argument.

then you have your head up your ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitigation_of_global_warming#Urban_planning

Urban planning
Main article: Urban planning

Urban planning also has an effect on energy use. Between 1982 and 1997, the amount of land consumed for urban development in the United States increased by 47 percent while the nation's population grew by only 17 percent.[17] Inefficient land use development practices have increased infrastructure costs as well as the amount of energy needed for transportation, community services, and buildings.

At the same time, a growing number of citizens and government officials have begun advocating a smarter approach to land use planning. These smart growth practices include compact community development, multiple transportation choices, mixed land uses, and practices to conserve green space. These programs offer environmental, economic, and quality-of-life benefits; and they also serve to reduce energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions.

tinfoil
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
After rebuilding my lawn I spent a lot of money on water to keep it alive for the first few years but now I no longer have to water. The key is to get the roots to grow deep by fertilizing at 1/2 rate in the late winter so it grows as fast as possible during the cool months but uses up its fertilizer before the summer heat sets in. Then you keep it long and thirsty during the summer so it uses its stored nutrients to build a deep root structure. Apply the second half of the fertilizer in early fall and it will green up and continue to grow roots all winter long.

After about five years I did some agricultural cores and found that the root depth had gone to 24". I'm guessing now at year 13 I'm down to 4 feet deep or so.

The other thing that really helps is compost. I filled the back of an Explorer with $1 bags of it when I rebuilt the lawn and spread all of it on the front. My front lawn is much better than the rear and that's the sole reason.

we did a whole new front lawn last spring and we did the automatic sprinklers. I should have calculated the carbon footprint of all that PVC pipe. Man, I'm sorry, future humans

Bonestorm
01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
then you have your head up your ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitigation_of_global_warming#Urban_planning

Urban planning
Main article: Urban planning

Urban planning also has an effect on energy use. Between 1982 and 1997, the amount of land consumed for urban development in the United States increased by 47 percent while the nation's population grew by only 17 percent.[17] Inefficient land use development practices have increased infrastructure costs as well as the amount of energy needed for transportation, community services, and buildings.

At the same time, a growing number of citizens and government officials have begun advocating a smarter approach to land use planning. These smart growth practices include compact community development, multiple transportation choices, mixed land uses, and practices to conserve green space. These programs offer environmental, economic, and quality-of-life benefits; and they also serve to reduce energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions.

There's a whole lot more to urban planning than creating green spaces.

DamnYankee
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
we did a whole new front lawn last spring and we did the automatic sprinklers. I should have calculated the carbon footprint of all that PVC pipe. Man, I'm sorry, future humans Say three hail maries to the sun godess and write a check to algore.

Minister of Truth
01-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Say three hail maries to the sun godess and write a check to algore.

Done.