PDA

View Full Version : APP - should health insurance companies

Don Quixote
10-16-2009, 01:38 AM
be exempt from anti-trust laws as they now are

i think not

additionally, i think that insurance companies should be allowed to cross state lines to provide more competition

FUCK THE POLICE
10-16-2009, 08:43 AM
If insurance companies are allowed to "cross state lines" one thing will happen - insurance companies will dissapear from all states besides the one that provides the least consumer protections. This does not promote competition amongst insurance companies to provide better service, it creates competition amongst state legislatures to provide consumers with the least protection.

PostmodernProphet
10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
First of all, I don't think that insurance companies are exempt from anti-trust laws.
Second, allowing insurance companies to cross state lines doesn't mean an insurance company doesn't have to follow regulations.....unless the only reason an insurance company doesn't sell in a particular state is that it chooses not comply with the regulations in a particular state.

Don Quixote
10-16-2009, 01:58 PM
If insurance companies are allowed to "cross state lines" one thing will happen - insurance companies will dissapear from all states besides the one that provides the least consumer protections. This does not promote competition amongst insurance companies to provide better service, it creates competition amongst state legislatures to provide consumers with the least protection.

i rather doubt that existing insurance companies will give up that easily to just one company, after all, would all those ceos give up their fat salaries

Don Quixote
10-16-2009, 02:01 PM
First of all, I don't think that insurance companies are exempt from anti-trust laws.
Second, allowing insurance companies to cross state lines doesn't mean an insurance company doesn't have to follow regulations.....unless the only reason an insurance company doesn't sell in a particular state is that it chooses not comply with the regulations in a particular state.

first the anti-trust, there are two groups exempt from anti-trust laws, major league baseball and health insurance

second, if there is a buck to be made, companies will try to find a way

PostmodernProphet
10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
first the anti-trust, there are two groups exempt from anti-trust laws, major league baseball and health insurance

under what provision of law will I find that exemption?......

FUCK THE POLICE
10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
i rather doubt that existing insurance companies will give up that easily to just one company, after all, would all those ceos give up their fat salaries

They will be able to market from one state in other states. The marketing to the other states will be from the the state they currently are residing in.

ANyway, any insurance company that's serious about competing in all 50 states will be able to set up an office in all of them.

Don Quixote
10-16-2009, 06:53 PM
under what provision of law will I find that exemption?......

sorry, i do not remember the name of the act, but it was on anderson cooper 360 on cnn

Don Quixote
10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
They will be able to market from one state in other states. The marketing to the other states will be from the the state they currently are residing in.

ANyway, any insurance company that's serious about competing in all 50 states will be able to set up an office in all of them.

yes, but do not forget the anti-trust exemption

besides, maybe the market in those states is not good enough...