PDA

View Full Version : The Libertarian Effect

Damocles
11-18-2006, 11:34 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229439,00.html

In one closely watched Congressional race — Indiana's 9th Congressional District — and two critical Senate races — Missouri and Montana — the Republican candidate was defeated by fewer votes than the Libertarian candidate received.

[Note: the last data I could find on the Missouri race still had two of the 3,746 precincts to report, so it is possible that statement isn't true for Missouri, but if it is not true it is still very close and does not diminish my point.]

In other words, in these two critical Senate races and in Indiana, if the Republican had gotten the Libertarian's votes, the Republican would have won.

For the rest of this article, please recognize that I am speaking of the small-"l" libertarian, and not the Libertarian Party of the candidates mentioned above. A "libertarian," in the shortest definition I can muster, is someone who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. In other words, it is someone who wants the government to perform a very small set of legitimate functions and otherwise leave us alone.

more at the link...

BRUTALITOPS
11-18-2006, 11:46 AM
that's nice and all but we are failing to take into account how many votes the republicans might lose if they adopted certain views and platforms to court the libertarians.

OrnotBitwise
11-18-2006, 11:59 AM
People have been saying the same thing about the Greens and our uneasy relationship with the Democrats for the past 6 years. We got Bush elected, you know. Everybody knows that.

Cypress
11-18-2006, 01:02 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229439,00.html

In one closely watched Congressional race — Indiana's 9th Congressional District — and two critical Senate races — Missouri and Montana — the Republican candidate was defeated by fewer votes than the Libertarian candidate received.

[Note: the last data I could find on the Missouri race still had two of the 3,746 precincts to report, so it is possible that statement isn't true for Missouri, but if it is not true it is still very close and does not diminish my point.]

In other words, in these two critical Senate races and in Indiana, if the Republican had gotten the Libertarian's votes, the Republican would have won.

For the rest of this article, please recognize that I am speaking of the small-"l" libertarian, and not the Libertarian Party of the candidates mentioned above. A "libertarian," in the shortest definition I can muster, is someone who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. In other words, it is someone who wants the government to perform a very small set of legitimate functions and otherwise leave us alone.

more at the link...

Well this settles it.

Everytime I point out the libetarians are for the most part, disaffected republicans, I get jumped on by libertarians on the boards who proclaims that: "No, there are just as many former Democrats, as there are republicans, in the LP! There is NO bias towards either GOP or Dems!"

Case closed.

BRUTALITOPS
11-18-2006, 02:19 PM
yup case closed, because of what one person said. Way to keep an open mind cypress, DAMO SAID SOMETHING! - Case closed!

Damocles
11-18-2006, 02:48 PM
yup case closed, because of what one person said. Way to keep an open mind cypress, DAMO SAID SOMETHING! - Case closed!
I didn't even say it. I just posted a link to an editorial. I haven't given an opinion yet.

Cypress
11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
I didn't even say it. I just posted a link to an editorial. I haven't given an opinion yet.

I don't know how representative they are, but many of the prominent libertarian posters on FP seemed relieved that the goose-stepping authoritarian republicans got a spanking. In my years on message board forums, I've never seen such fury by libertarians at republican authoritariansism.

Damocles
11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I don't know how representative they are, but many of the prominent libertarian posters on FP seemed relieved that the goose-stepping authoritarian republicans got a spanking. In my years on message board forums, I've never seen such fury by libertarians at republican authoritariansism.
I'm personally relatively happy about it... Finally a chink in that armour so that we can take a foothold back in the party and get the party of personal responsibility back!

AnyOldIron
11-20-2006, 02:37 AM
someone who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Surely someone who believes in economic laissez faire would be described as an economic liberal?

OrnotBitwise
11-20-2006, 09:52 AM
someone who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Surely someone who believes in economic laissez faire would be described as an economic liberal? You'd think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunatly, political discourse is rarely rational.

In this country "fiscal conservative" has become a cypher, indicating someone who dislikes government spending money on social programs.

Agnosticus_Caesar
11-28-2006, 10:28 PM
People seem to forget that, on social issues, Libertarians are ULTRA-LIBERAL.

Agnosticus_Caesar
11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
If TLP would shift more moderate on issues of economy, I would throw my lot in with them. Unfortunately, TLP is ruled by extremist idiots.

Agnosticus_Caesar
11-28-2006, 10:33 PM
The big PROBLEM with both Republicans and Democrats is that both rely on substantial voting blocks comprised of irrational extremists. Fortunately, said blocks, despite having some sway on policy, do not run the show. They are in the minority, albeit somewhat powerful minorities.

The Libertarian Party is RUN by it's extremist block.

uscitizen
11-29-2006, 08:25 AM
It is easy to understand, those states were full of disappointed Neocons.
Bush had let them down, but they could not bring themselves to actually vote for Demoncrats so they voted Libertarian.

Damocles
11-29-2006, 09:57 AM
The big PROBLEM with both Republicans and Democrats is that both rely on substantial voting blocks comprised of irrational extremists. Fortunately, said blocks, despite having some sway on policy, do not run the show. They are in the minority, albeit somewhat powerful minorities.

The Libertarian Party is RUN by it's extremist block.
And it is why most small "l" libertarians are not in the Party. Not all people who lean libertarian are slobbery extremists. They are the most effected by the current lean of the R party though. I feel it.

Damocles
11-29-2006, 09:58 AM
It is easy to understand, those states were full of disappointed Neocons.
Bush had let them down, but they could not bring themselves to actually vote for Demoncrats so they voted Libertarian.
Or... They were small "l" libertarians as the article actually talks about and voted where their beliefs lie closest... But heck, we can just pretend that everybody in the R Party are all Bush Lovers with a hard on for Nation Building...

uscitizen
11-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Or... They were small "l" libertarians as the article actually talks about and voted where their beliefs lie closest... But heck, we can just pretend that everybody in the R Party are all Bush Lovers with a hard on for Nation Building...
Naah you are a couple of years too late with that nationbuilding statement Damo. It was pretty much true, but fortunately enough people woke up.

Damocles
11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Naah you are a couple of years too late with that nationbuilding statement Damo. It was pretty much true, but fortunately enough people woke up.
Too late? I've been saying it for 5 years now! I've been saying it since before the fricking war... Too late? Rubbish.

uscitizen
11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah too late. A couple of years ago it would have been hard to find a rebutliken against what Bush was doing in Iraq.
Now, fortunately it is not that way ;)