PDA

View Full Version : College football rankings?

WinterBorn
10-02-2009, 07:04 AM
There have been a bunch of top ranked teams that were beaten.

I think most people see the top 3 teams as the same. Personally I think you could change the order between Florida, Texas and Alabama and still be pretty accurate.

Who else should be ranked in the top 10?

LSU is at #4 in the polls, but I don't see many people believing that they deserve it.

Mott the Hoople
10-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I think there should be no polls permitted till after the 4th week of the season. Then you don't end up with this silly situation of people trying to justify their picks. You end up with nutso stuff like LSU ranked #4 and Iowa ranked #13. Hell if you go by play on the field Iowa should be ranked in the top 4. Their the only damned team to beat a top 5 opponent.

If there had been no polls till this week does anyone think Florida would still be #1? They've played uninspired football against week sister competition.

Mott the Hoople
10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
My top ten would be

#1. Texas
#2. Alabama
#3. USC
#4. Auburn
#5. OSU
#6. Iowa
#7. Florida
#8. Houston
#9. Va. Tech
#10. Cincinnati

Mott the Hoople
10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
BTW, early on the three teams that have impressed me the most, or I believe to be the most under rated are Auburn, Houston and Iowa. Auburn is going to make a lot of pollsters look stupid this year. That's a damned good team! They look a hell of a lot better than either LSWho or Florida. Time will tell.

My Guess is the Auborn/Bama game will decide who the SEC champ is this year. I'm looking forward to that game.

Mott the Hoople
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
My top ten would be

#1. Texas
#2. Alabama
#3. USC
#4. Auburn
#5. OSU
#6. Iowa
#7. Florida
#8. Houston
#9. Va. Tech
#10. Cincinnati

I really question if Florida should even be on my top ten list. Hell they haven't played anyone.

WinterBorn
10-02-2009, 11:33 AM
BTW, early on the three teams that have impressed me the most, or I believe to be the most under rated are Auburn, Houston and Iowa. Auburn is going to make a lot of pollsters look stupid this year. That's a damned good team! They look a hell of a lot better than either LSWho or Florida. Time will tell.

My Guess is the Auborn/Bama game will decide who the SEC champ is this year. I'm looking forward to that game.

Auburn is either underrated or just hasn't run up against anyone serious yet. They beat MS State up pretty badly, but they let Ball State score 30 points.

The Iron Bowl is always one of my fav games. This year it may decide the SEC West.

Florida looks tough but their schedule has been so light its hard to judge them.

I wouldn't put USC but one notch higher than Ohio State. They won that game in a single drive and were beaten the rest of the game. Yes they won, but not by much.

WinterBorn
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
My list would be:

#1 - Alabama
#2 - Texas
#3 - Florida
#4 - Auburn
#5 - Iowa
#6 - USC
#7 - OSU
#8 - VaTech
#9 - Boise State
#10 - Oklahoma

Mott the Hoople
10-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Auburn is either underrated or just hasn't run up against anyone serious yet. They beat MS State up pretty badly, but they let Ball State score 30 points.

The Iron Bowl is always one of my fav games. This year it may decide the SEC West.

Florida looks tough but their schedule has been so light its hard to judge them.

I wouldn't put USC but one notch higher than Ohio State. They won that game in a single drive and were beaten the rest of the game. Yes they won, but not by much.
They let Ball State score points late in the game when they had their subs in and it didn't really matter. The score doesn't indicate how badly Auburn beat Ball State, which is not the same team they were last year for sure.

Florida is a good team, but they just don't look to me to be what the media is hyping them up to be. They just appear to me to be that great. Time will tell. Lots more football to be played.

It looks like USC left to much on the field against OSU. They left Columbus with a win and a bunch of injuries that are hurting them now. If Ohio State's offensive line can get it together the Buckeyes can redeem the loss to USC. Our Defense is certainly one of the best in the nation.

The sentiment here in Columbus town is that no one is buying to much into the mythical BCS national championship (Despite the Big10 and Universities opposition, this town wants a playoff badly). So since there won't be a playoff, if OSU can win out the season (and we finish the season with games against Penn St, Iowa and Michigan.....just brutal) then we definately want redemption against the best the SEC has. If we finish 11-1 and USC wins the PAC10 we might just get that opportunity.

Failing that Texas or the PAC 10 champ will do.

Mott the Hoople
10-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Games to watch today.

Ohio State vs Indiana - The Hoosiers appear to have a decent team this year and are spoiling for an upset.
Kansas vs Iowa St.
Miss vs Nebraska - We'll know who the front runner is in the Big 12 North after today.
Texas A&M vs Arkansas - are the Aggies for real?
UCLA vs Stanford - UCLA appears to be surprising a lot of people this year.
USC vs Cal - Is Cal over rated or did USC shoot their wad against the Buckeyes?
Georgia vs LSU - We'll find out who's over rated and who is not.
Auburn vs Tenn - Is Auborn that good? Is Tenn that bad? We'll have a better idea today.
Noter Dame vs Washington - Who give a shit about Noter Dame?
OK vs Miami - The winner will have a shot at redemption. The loser goes to the USA Today Who Gives A Shit Bowl.
Wisconsin vs Minn - Winner will probably crack the top 25

cawacko
10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I think there should be no polls permitted till after the 4th week of the season. Then you don't end up with this silly situation of people trying to justify their picks. You end up with nutso stuff like LSU ranked #4 and Iowa ranked #13. Hell if you go by play on the field Iowa should be ranked in the top 4. Their the only damned team to beat a top 5 opponent.

If there had been no polls till this week does anyone think Florida would still be #1? They've played uninspired football against week sister competition.

People were suspect about Penn State though who played a nothing out of conference schedule and thus hadn't really been tested. They actually make your point exactly of they shouldn't have been in the Top 5 to begin with so while Iowa technically beat a Top 5 team they don't really get the credit because people were suspect of Penn State already.

USFREEDOM911
10-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Games to watch today.

Ohio State vs Indiana - The Hoosiers appear to have a decent team this year and are spoiling for an upset.
Kansas vs Iowa St.
Miss vs Nebraska - We'll know who the front runner is in the Big 12 North after today.
Texas A&M vs Arkansas - are the Aggies for real?
UCLA vs Stanford - UCLA appears to be surprising a lot of people this year.
USC vs Cal - Is Cal over rated or did USC shoot their wad against the Buckeyes?
Georgia vs LSU - We'll find out who's over rated and who is not.
Auburn vs Tenn - Is Auborn that good? Is Tenn that bad? We'll have a better idea today.
Noter Dame vs Washington - Who give a shit about Noter Dame?
OK vs Miami - The winner will have a shot at redemption. The loser goes to the USA Today Who Gives A Shit Bowl.
Wisconsin vs Minn - Winner will probably crack the top 25

:cheer:GO CORNHUSKERS:cheer:

belme1201
10-03-2009, 01:40 PM
'Bama tries to run up the score passing with a minute left and an 18 point lead? Shameful.

WinterBorn
10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
'Bama tries to run up the score passing with a minute left and an 18 point lead? Shameful.

On the one hand, I can almost see a point.

But on the other hand, Kentucky was playing the big boys. After all, its not the worst ass-kicking they have taken this season.

belme1201
10-03-2009, 03:52 PM
On the one hand, I can almost see a point.

But on the other hand, Kentucky was playing the big boys. After all, its not the worst ass-kicking they have taken this season.

You and I both know it simply is not the thing to do in college football, particularly within the same conference to a fellow coach. It shows not a concern about winning or losing, but about the college rankings which after season's end mean nothing.
We all know Kentucky isn't a football powerhouse, but the coach and the kids can still be humiliated, in this case for no reason, revenge was not a factor.

Buffalo Soldier
10-03-2009, 05:13 PM
This lovefest of douchebag chookers is comical. LSU has two National Championships since either of your overated team won anything in the post season. And they proved why today at Georgia.

WinterBorn
10-03-2009, 06:28 PM
This lovefest of douchebag chookers is comical. LSU has two National Championships since either of your overated team won anything in the post season. And they proved why today at Georgia.

Last year we made it the post season to play Florida in the SEC Championship. LSU was left in the dust.

You barely beat GA. That still doesn't say much. LSU has won 2 NCs.

Bama has 12. Let me know when you get close to that.

Besides, this year ya'll won't even be the 2nd best in the SEC West. Maybe 4th.

Buffalo Soldier
10-03-2009, 06:38 PM
U got your ass handed to you by fla & freaking Utah. Lsu wins like 4 in a row post season. You'll choke again.

WinterBorn
10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
U got your ass handed to you by fla & freaking Utah. Lsu wins like 4 in a row post season. You'll choke again.

We got our ass handed to us by Utah. If you think FL handed us our ass, you didn't see the game.

LSU will lose to FL, Bama, Auburn, and probably Ole Miss. Your post season play will be against a nobody.

Mott the Hoople
10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Might as well not even show up to play LSWho. You can't beat a team when they clearly have the zebras in their pocket. I don't care what the final score was. Georgia was the better team today. I thought the Big 10 was the only conference who had to put up with fat old men as officials who can't even waddle into position in time to make calls correctly or who consistantly make asinine calls that affect the outcome of games. I feel badly for GA fans. LSWho has nothing to gloat about here.

The NCAA needs to pass some standards for officials. They must pass annual fitness test, mandatory retirment at 45 like FIFA officials and IQ test to weed out the morons that couldn't bust 90 on a standardized IQ test like the numb nuts in Georgia today.

Mott the Hoople
10-03-2009, 08:52 PM
This lovefest of douchebag chookers is comical. LSU has two National Championships since either of your overated team won anything in the post season. And they proved why today at Georgia.They sure did. They have the zebras in their back pockets. It was a shameful game and I'd be embarrased if my team had to win in such a corrupt fashion. I'd rather lose with pride and dignity like we did against USC then win any game like that. I hate it when officials make a mokery of the game by deciding the outcome instead of the players on the field.

Buffalo Soldier
10-04-2009, 09:59 AM
You sound like a ten year old girl. LSU pounded Ohio slow and would do it again.

WinterBorn
10-04-2009, 10:57 AM
You sound like a ten year old girl. LSU pounded Ohio slow and would do it again.

I love my SEC ball, but OSU's defense would stop LSU cold.

Mott the Hoople
10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Well of course they would. 16 men to 11? There the next national champs for sure!!

Mott the Hoople
10-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I love my SEC ball, but OSU's defense would stop LSU cold.Not when they have the refs in their back pockets we won't.

Topspin
10-05-2009, 05:04 AM
OSU hasn't recovered from the BEATDOWN lsu issued them. Cue Mott crying about something

Mott the Hoople
10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Last year we made it the post season to play Florida in the SEC Championship. LSU was left in the dust.

You barely beat GA. That still doesn't say much. LSU has won 2 NCs.

Bama has 12. Let me know when you get close to that.

Besides, this year ya'll won't even be the 2nd best in the SEC West. Maybe 4th.
Yea he's not using much of a standard. Minnesotta has 6 national championships. No one in the SEC, except Bama, comes even close to that. Is Topper saying LSWho is of lesser program then the Golden Gophers? LOL

WinterBorn
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Yea he's not using much of a standard. Minnesotta has 6 national championships. No one in the SEC, except Bama, comes even close to that. Is Topper saying LSWho is of lesser program then the Golden Gophers? LOL

Its interesting, Topper wants to talk about the recent past. Not the entire past, because Bama owns that. And not this year because Bama looks far better. But if you select just the right slice of years, LSU is great.

Top, let me know when you have 12 National Championships, 26 conference championships and the most bowl appearances in NCAA history.

Otherwise, stick to the present.

Topspin
10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
how many decades since you won one.

WinterBorn
10-05-2009, 02:18 PM
how many decades since you won one.

How many has LSU won in your lifetime? And how many has Bama won in the same time period?

Like I said, you want to select a particular slice of time. Not this year, but not too far back either.

Topspin
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
so it's more decades than you can remember, LSU has 2 in the last 5 yrs.

WinterBorn
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
so it's more decades than you can remember, LSU has 2 in the last 5 yrs.

Our last one was in 1992.

And, if you are 49, you have been alive for 3 National Championships for LSU and 7 for the Crimson Tide.

It is easy to see why you only want to look back 5 years. Prior to that, your last NC was in 1958. And before that....wait, before that you hadn't won one.

Your 3 championships in 5 years is impressive. But don't try and make it sound like LSU is all that because of it. This year is this year. Or the football history is the history. Selecting just a slice of years to make your team look good cheapens it.

Topspin
10-06-2009, 05:03 AM
I think you beat us like 25 years in a row you douchebag, Obviously bear bryant is The football god. Now you have another, get another hobby besides kicking sand in the face of lesser programs. :clink:

WinterBorn
10-06-2009, 05:13 AM
I think you beat us like 25 years in a row you douchebag, Obviously bear bryant is The football god. Now you have another, get another hobby besides kicking sand in the face of lesser programs. :clink:

I don't kick sand in anyone's face. But when my team is called overrated, and another is bragged on for a select set of wins, I respond.

Its what happens.

:clink:

Topspin
10-06-2009, 05:47 AM
But you trash LSU or at least piled on when others did.
LSU has done NO wrong this year. Doesn't take a genius to see they moved up as everyone else lost, the win at GA is a quality win as they have had our numer in Athens.

WinterBorn
10-06-2009, 06:21 AM
LSU has done NO wrong this year. Doesn't take a genius to see they moved up as everyone else lost, the win at GA is a quality win as they have had our numer in Athens.

I haven't trashed LSU over the GA win. I did say I didn't think they deserved to be #4, and until the win at GA, I don't think they did.

That said, the win at GA vindicated them somewhat.

Mott the Hoople
10-06-2009, 02:43 PM
You call a game decided by zebras a quality win? Not setting the bar very high are you? Even the SEC admitted the refs fucked up that game.

WinterBorn
10-06-2009, 05:32 PM
And Topper, if you are going to badmouth other teams, don't get upset when people argue with you.

Socrtease
10-06-2009, 11:55 PM
whoever had Houston in their top ten, take that fake ass team off your list. Ass BEATEN by UTEP? Should have been drummed out of the top 25.

Topspin
10-07-2009, 05:03 AM
You call a game decided by zebras a quality win? Not setting the bar very high are you? Even the SEC admitted the refs fucked up that game.

crying about officails is gay'r than fanny packs and vests.

WinterBorn
10-07-2009, 06:04 AM
crying about officails is gay'r than fanny packs and vests.

Its one thing to have a legitimate penalty.

But that bullshit against celebrating is insane.

Topspin
10-07-2009, 06:39 AM
LSU got the same call on the Juggernaut's touchdown. All the LSU haters kinda leave that fact out. They cancel each other out.
The Juggernauts TD would have been good from 15yrds further as he had run through all the dawgs D.

WinterBorn
10-08-2009, 05:14 AM
This weekend should shake out some of the rankings. I'm curious to see what Wisconsin is capable of doing.

But my Tide will roll in Oxford this weekend. The offense is clicking and will take whatever the defense gives us. Some teams have offenses that you can defend against. But with our running game, our receivers, and a level-headed QB, we can score on anyone.

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 09:05 AM
whoever had Houston in their top ten, take that fake ass team off your list. Ass BEATEN by UTEP? Should have been drummed out of the top 25.
That be me and yup, you right. The looked impressive on paper prior to that ass whoopin.

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
crying about officails is gay'r than fanny packs and vests.You have a point there. Maybe we should all just buy them off like LSWho does?

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Its one thing to have a legitimate penalty.

But that bullshit against celebrating is insane.Particularly when it determines the outcome of a game.

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
This weekend should shake out some of the rankings. I'm curious to see what Wisconsin is capable of doing.

But my Tide will roll in Oxford this weekend. The offense is clicking and will take whatever the defense gives us. Some teams have offenses that you can defend against. But with our running game, our receivers, and a level-headed QB, we can score on anyone.
Wisconsin's a good team, Sound defense and offense. I don't think there as good as the Hawkeyes are but we'll find out how good they are when they come to the shoe. Wisconsin is a quality program so it should be a good game.

Topspin
10-08-2009, 09:09 AM
GA's similarity to takling like Ohio Slow is what determined the game.

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Michigan vs Iowa should be a good game too. Iowa appears to be imrpoving as the season goes along. They have a good defensive line, an excellent secondary with maybe the best safety in college ball (he sure has interecepted a lot of passes) and a surprisingly good pair of freshman running backs. Iowa has one of the best running games in college ball.

On the down side, they are weak at linebacker and don't have much depth on the defensive line and their QB is inconsistent. He does seem to have those leadership intangibles going for him and though inconsistent, damn if the kid doesn't win games. I like him a lot.

If Iowa beats Michigan and Wisconsin then they'll play the Bucks for the conference championship. This is going to be an interesting season in the Big 10.

My game of the weak (pun intended) is Indiana vs Virginia. The odds makers are giving Virginia 6 points. I've seen both teams play this year and I"ll take Indiana and the points.

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
GA's similarity to takling like Ohio Slow is what determined the game.
Well you're going to need your Zebra's on Saturday.

Topspin
10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Man I feel sorry for you, and I apologize for ragging you on the buckeyes.
I thought it was good natured ribbing but you have gone over the top insane in the membrane.

Mott the Hoople
10-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Man I feel sorry for you, and I apologize for ragging you on the buckeyes.
I thought it was good natured ribbing but you have gone over the top insane in the membrane.Hey I'm just giving you some of what your giving me! :clink:

Mott the Hoople
10-18-2009, 08:55 AM
My top ten for this week;

Alabama
Texas
Iowa
Florida
USC
TCU
Boise
Georgia Tech
LSWho
Cincinnati

WinterBorn
10-18-2009, 12:40 PM
My top ten for this week;

Alabama
Texas
Iowa
Florida
USC
TCU
Boise
Georgia Tech
LSWho
Cincinnati

I'd stick Miami in there somewhere, but other than that......

I have to say, seeing the Crimson Tide at the top of the AP Poll does my heart good!

Mott the Hoople
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd stick Miami in there somewhere, but other than that......

I have to say, seeing the Crimson Tide at the top of the AP Poll does my heart good!
I'm pulling for Iowa now. If they can go undefeated they deserve it for several reasons.

#1. It's not often a team beats Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan in the same year and goes undefeated.
#2. Last time they played Florida they beat them up like the bitches they are.
#3. They and Alabama do look like the best two teams in the country right now.
#4. Florida and Texas will get beat down the line.

The only major obstacle the Hawkeyes have left will be the Buckeyes and the Buckeyes have some serious offensive problems. The Bucks might want to consider switching Pryor to a Flanker or WR. He can't throw for shit.

WinterBorn
10-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm pulling for Iowa now. If they can go undefeated they deserve it for several reasons.

#1. It's not often a team beats Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan in the same year and goes undefeated.
#2. Last time they played Florida they beat them up like the bitches they are.
#3. They and Alabama do look like the best two teams in the country right now.
#4. Florida and Texas will get beat down the line.

The only major obstacle the Hawkeyes have left will be the Buckeyes and the Buckeyes have some serious offensive problems. The Bucks might want to consider switching Pryor to a Flanker or WR. He can't throw for shit.

I saw some highlights of the Iowa game saturday. I think an Alabama v. Iowa game for the NC would be excellent.

Let Texas lose and we beat FL in the SEC Championship and its possible.

Boise is going to scream, but thats ok too.

Mott the Hoople
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I saw some highlights of the Iowa game saturday. I think an Alabama v. Iowa game for the NC would be excellent.

Let Texas lose and we beat FL in the SEC Championship and its possible.

Boise is going to scream, but thats ok too.Boise and Cincinnati would scream but I think that if Bama, Iowa, Texas, Boise and Cincy all go undefeated you can make a good argument that Bama and Iowa had the toughtest schedule. I don't think Texas or Cincy will go undefeated. Who knows? Lots of football to be played and there may be no undefeated teams in 4 or 5 more weeks.

From what I"ve seen I don't think Texas or Florida will go undefeated. Neither one looks that dominant and they have to tough games ahead to play. Iowa's tough part of their schedule was front loaded. They have a couple of decent teams in Mich St and Minn but the only real obstacle left to the Hawkeyes are the Buckeyes. If the Buckeyes inconsistent offesne shows up again for Iowa, we'll lose for sure.

WinterBorn
10-20-2009, 06:43 AM
CaW, you will like the predictions made my Stewart Mandel at Sports Illustrated.

He has predicted the following bowl matchups:

Title game: Alabama vs. USC

Rose: Iowa vs. Boise State

Fiesta: Texas vs. Georgia Tech

Sugar: Florida vs. Cincinnati

Orange: Miami vs. Penn State

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/10/18/college.football.overtime/1.html##ixzz0UTmdl48Z
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Topspin
10-20-2009, 06:57 AM
CaW, you will like the predictions made my Stewart Mandel at Sports Illustrated.

I'd pick BAMA
Iowa
Texas
Fla
Penn State

Mott the Hoople
10-26-2009, 09:09 AM
I'd pick BAMA
Iowa
Texas
Fla
Penn StateInteresting choice for #5. The only tough games PSU has left on its schedule is OSU amd MSU. They play OSU in Happy Valley and with the Buckeyes it all depends on which Pryor shows up. Tyrelle Pryor or Richard Pryor.

Topspin
10-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Richard Pryor had way more talent than terrell

Mott the Hoople
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/10/18/college.football.overtime/1.html##ixzz0UTmdl48Z
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI SubscriptionNaa couldn't happen. For USC to leap from Iowa, Iowa has to lose, then either PSU or OSU would be in the Rose Bowl. It Texas loses a game it will probably be to either OK ST or the conference Championship game, Either way their out of the BCS picture. Even if Boise goes undefeated I doubt they get a BCS bid over TCU. If Alabama wins out they will play either Texas, Iowa or USC.

I think a more realistic would be

Bama vs TX NCG
Iowa vs USC Rose Bowl
Cincinnati vs Georgia Tech Orange Bowl
TCU vs Penn St Fiesta Bowl
Florida vs Va. Tech Sugar Bowl

Mott the Hoople
10-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Richard Pryor had way more talent than terrellYea, he's sure is looking a lot like Jamarcus isn't he?

Mott the Hoople
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Naa couldn't happen. For USC to leap from Iowa, Iowa has to lose, then either PSU or OSU would be in the Rose Bowl. It Texas loses a game it will probably be to either OK ST or the conference Championship game, Either way their out of the BCS picture. Even if Boise goes undefeated I doubt they get a BCS bid over TCU. If Alabama wins out they will play either Texas, Iowa or USC.

I think a more realistic would be

Bama vs TX NCG
Iowa vs USC Rose Bowl
Cincinnati vs Georgia Tech Orange Bowl
TCU vs Penn St Fiesta Bowl
Florida vs Va. Tech Sugar Bowl
Hey my picks weren't to bad. Here's what the talking heads predict on Rivals.com. They difference from mine is they chose Boise over Va. Tech to play Florida.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1007579

Mott the Hoople
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
The human polls need to be seriously de-emphasized if the BCS is to continue. Based on strength of schedule ratings here would be the rankings of the remaining undefeated teams.

#1. Iowa.
#2. Florida
#3. Texas
#4. TCU
#5. Alabama
#6. Cincinnati
#7. Boise. St.

If all teams end up undefeated (not possible Florida or Bama must lose) by the end of the season then Texas would pass Florida as having had a tougher schedule and Alabama would leap frog over TCU to #4 postion if they go undefeated, which means if the BCS polls have any credibility then Iowa and Texas should play in the NCG since they would be undefeated and have played a tougher schedule than either Florida or Alabama. This would also discourage schools from scheduling super weak non-conf schedules as Texas, Florida and Alabama have done. They should not be rewarded for this. It would also go a long way to ending the SEC mythology.

Topspin
11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
schedule strength is not the only factor.
You can not keep out and undefeated fla or bama

Mott the Hoople
11-06-2009, 03:23 PM
schedule strength is not the only factor.
You can not keep out and undefeated fla or bama
It's easy. When you have two other undefeated teams who have played a more difficult schedule then Alabama or Florida then they should play for the Championship. Teams should not be rewarded for playing a pussy schedule.
Besides, that's what you get for playing a cupcake non-conf schedule. Don't want to be left out? Play a respectable non-conf schedule. If were going to be stuck with the BCS then opinions don't mean shit. The two most important criteria should be won/loss record and strength of schedule. With won/loss record being even, strength of schedule should be the tie breaker. Mythologies should not determine champions.

Buffalo Soldier
11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
And when you play in the sec you always play the toughest scedule.

Mott the Hoople
11-07-2009, 08:01 AM
And when you play in the sec you always play the toughest scedule.Give me numbers, not opinions and mythology. I keep showing you the numbers that prove by wins and chamionshps that the SEC is only the third toughest conference in the nation, pretty close to the Pac 10. Combine that and ya'll are playing Div Iaa and Sunbelt teams in your non-conf schedule and it just doesn't measure up. I mean Utah laid to rest that old canard about the SEC so lets get real.

Socrtease
11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Then there is this article (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns). Seems the big conferences are scared of little old Boise State. They even offer to come to your home and play you. But not even the mighty SEC has called them back. You hear nothing but crickets. the BCS is bullshit, Boise State could defeat a good number of the top ten teams right now.

WinterBorn
11-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Give me numbers, not opinions and mythology. I keep showing you the numbers that prove by wins and chamionshps that the SEC is only the third toughest conference in the nation, pretty close to the Pac 10. Combine that and ya'll are playing Div Iaa and Sunbelt teams in your non-conf schedule and it just doesn't measure up. I mean Utah laid to rest that old canard about the SEC so lets get real.

Utah played a team that wasn't ready and didn't care. I don't think that laid anything to rest.

I know everyone is looking at the struggles the two top teams in the SEC have had, but they seem to forget Iowa struggling to beat Ark State (2-5).

What I love about college ball is that on any given saturday, any team can beat any other team.

belme1201
11-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Iowa loses to a perennial patsy(Northwestern) drops 1 spot in the AP and stays at #4 in the BCS? Somebody's nuts! It says "updated 11/8", but it must be a mistake. Oregon loses to Stanford and moves up???? . Paterno, their darling loses to OSU and stays 5 places ahead of them?
People were criticizing the BCS before, but this is surreal.

WinterBorn
11-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Iowa loses to a perennial patsy(Northwestern) drops 1 spot in the AP and stays at #4 in the BCS? Somebody's nuts! It says "updated 11/8", but it must be a mistake. Oregon loses to Stanford and moves up???? . Paterno, their darling loses to OSU and stays 5 places ahead of them?

Hopefully there is an error in when it was updated.

WinterBorn
11-08-2009, 01:52 PM

The BCS has not been updated that I can tell.

Socrtease
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
On Yahoo they give the date of the current BCS poll as 11-1-09

belme1201
11-08-2009, 02:42 PM
The BCS has not been updated that I can tell.

At Sports Illustrated it shows updated 11/8 at the time of my post. Fla, TX, Ala, Iowa, 1,2,3,4. maybe its a joke. I'm going back there now after pinching myself to see if I'm awake.

belme1201
11-08-2009, 02:49 PM
At Sports Illustrated it shows updated 11/8 at the time of my post. Fla, TX, Ala, Iowa, 1,2,3,4. maybe its a joke. I'm going back there now after pinching myself to see if I'm awake.

Nope, 1,2,3,4, as stated, Iowa #4, Oregon #8, Penn St. #11, Ohio St. #16, updated 11/8, 1:36 pm. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

WinterBorn
11-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Nope, 1,2,3,4, as stated, Iowa #4, Oregon #8, Penn St. #11, Ohio St. #16, updated 11/8, 1:36 pm. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Fox Sports lists them at #4 with a record of 9-1.

If that is the case it is truly fucked up.

belme1201
11-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Fox Sports lists them at #4 with a record of 9-1.

If that is the case it is truly fucked up.

How's this one. Notre Dame, another over-ranked darling, loses to unranked Navy and moves up 1 place.

belme1201
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I knew something was wrong, they now show a 6:02 update and the rankings have changed. I knew it was the Twilight Zone. They originally showed Iowa at number 4 with the correct 9-1 record, now it's TCU.

Mott the Hoople
11-09-2009, 05:48 AM
I knew something was wrong, they now show a 6:02 update and the rankings have changed. I knew it was the Twilight Zone. They originally showed Iowa at number 4 with the correct 9-1 record, now it's TCU.
That's because the rankings don't come out till later in the day on Sunday.

Mott the Hoople
11-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Then there is this article (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns). Seems the big conferences are scared of little old Boise State. They even offer to come to your home and play you. But not even the mighty SEC has called them back. You hear nothing but crickets. the BCS is bullshit, Boise State could defeat a good number of the top ten teams right now.I think Boise state would do well and you're right. The Big 6 Conf teams are chickenshit to not play them.

Mott the Hoople
11-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Noter Damn is completely out of the top 25 and Iowa dropped to #10 and OSU switched positions with PSU.

BCS pairings now look like;

SEC Champ vs Texas, NCG
OSU/Iowa vs Oregon/Arizona. Rose Bowl
Cincinnati vs Ga Tech Orange Bowl
TCU vs USC, Fiesta Bowl
SEC runner up Boise St/Miami, Sugar Bowl

As it's looking the SEC champ will be #1 then the Sugar Bowl will get first replacement pick and will either pick the SEC Runner Up (expected) or USC (assuming they don't lose again). I have a strong suspicion Boise St will go undefeated and not get a BCS bid. There should only be 3 at large BCS teams this year. TCU should get an automatic bid if they go undefeated. I'd love to see USC vs SEC in the Sugar bowl but that's probably not going to happen. If the Sugar Bowl Takes the SEC Runner up then the Fiesta Bowl will take USC and vice versa. LSU won't get an invited so that only leaves 1 at large left. That will probably be Miami. The only thing that could really shake this up is if Arizona loses to Oregon and beats USC. That would knock USC out as an at large team. Then Maybe Boise St would get an at large bid.

WinterBorn
11-09-2009, 06:11 AM
I think Boise state would do well and you're right. The Big 6 Conf teams are chickenshit to not play them.

B State struggled to put away LaTech. LSU plays Latech this saturday, so we will see who struggles and who stomps.

Topspin
11-09-2009, 06:22 AM
B State struggled to put away LaTech. LSU plays Latech this saturday, so we will see who struggles and who stomps.

If Jefferson can recover from the CHEAP SHOT, we'll beat tech by double digits.

belme1201
11-09-2009, 06:53 AM
That's because the rankings don't come out till later in the day on Sunday.

The Sports Illustrated site was showing Sunday afternoon as the updated BCS on Sunday, then it changed , still Sunday, but 6:02 pm. The W-L records shown included the games on Saturday with the rankings as I stated. In the past, the rankings were available on Sunday afternoon when the rankings would change as would the W-L records. The Ohio St. #16/Penn St. #11 rankings while showing the OSU win as well as Iowa with the posted 9-1 record still at #4 were glaring examples of a snafu and the reason I found it hard to believe and ridiculous if true.

WinterBorn
11-09-2009, 07:06 AM
If Jefferson can recover from the CHEAP SHOT, we'll beat tech by double digits.

Awww, did we break your QB?

Ingram recovered from having his head twisted, so hopefully Jefferson will survive.

I will say that LSU needs to get its trainers to put the kids thru harder training. They were dropping like flies.

And speaking of dropping like flies, I noticed that the LSU D was getting a lot of injury timeouts. A player would be on the ground writhing in pain, get 3 mins without being charged a timeout, be out for one play and then come back in. Nifty way to slow the game down.

Topspin
11-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Awww, did we break your QB?

Ingram recovered from having his head twisted, so hopefully Jefferson will survive.

I will say that LSU needs to get its trainers to put the kids thru harder training. They were dropping like flies.

And speaking of dropping like flies, I noticed that the LSU D was getting a lot of injury timeouts. A player would be on the ground writhing in pain, get 3 mins without being charged a timeout, be out for one play and then come back in. Nifty way to slow the game down.

The better tougher team won, yes you broke him and he does need to get a lot stronger if there is to be a different outcome next year. I'd go ahead an win that NC before you start beating your chest about being soo much tougher than LSU. We've got 2 this decade you got zero conference championships.

WinterBorn
11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
The better tougher team won, yes you broke him and he does need to get a lot stronger if there is to be a different outcome next year. I'd go ahead an win that NC before you start beating your chest about being soo much tougher than LSU. We've got 2 this decade you got zero conference championships.

And we have a dozen NCs, it all depends on how far back you go.

But we won saturday.

Topspin
11-09-2009, 08:15 AM
And we have a dozen NCs, it all depends on how far back you go.

But we won saturday.

As I stated the better/tougher team won. I think you'll beat Fla too based on the development of your QB. There secondary is not as good as ours.

WinterBorn
11-09-2009, 08:36 AM
As I stated the better/tougher team won. I think you'll beat Fla too based on the development of your QB. There secondary is not as good as ours.

I think we will win too. I think our D Line is better this year, and they aren't the passing team they were last year. (not that they were a great passing team last year, they just aren't as good at that as last year)

Topspin
11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
losing Harvin has hit them hard, I hope Mt.Cody does too.

WinterBorn
11-09-2009, 08:48 AM
losing Harvin has hit them hard, I hope Mt.Cody does too.

I don't think Cody hits any other way.

But they will double team him like everyone else does. McClain and Arenas are the ones who will get Tebow a lot.

WinterBorn
11-14-2009, 06:32 PM
OMFG!!! Stanford beat USC like a rented mule!!!

Buffalo Soldier
11-14-2009, 10:07 PM
USC should drop out of the top 25.

WinterBorn
11-14-2009, 11:43 PM
And todays game means Alabama is tied with Oklahoma for the most 10 win seasons in NCAA History.

30 seasons each.

Mott the Hoople
11-15-2009, 07:23 AM
OSU IS IN THE ROSE BOWL BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

WinterBorn
11-15-2009, 08:42 AM
OSU IS IN THE ROSE BOWL BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

Good game too!

Buffalo Soldier
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah Iowa shouldn't fall far. They put up a good fight to an improving and dangerous buckeye squad.

WinterBorn
11-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah Iowa shouldn't fall far. They put up a good fight to an improving and dangerous buckeye squad.

I notice LSU put a bigger whipping on LaTech than Iowa did.

Mott the Hoople
11-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Good game too!
Yea it was. Though Tressels conservative game calling towards the end was appalling. But it was some good ole fashioned Big10 smash mouth football.

Mott the Hoople
11-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I notice LSU put a bigger whipping on LaTech than Iowa did.I don't see how that's possible. Iowa didn't play La. Tech. LOL

Mott the Hoople
11-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I notice LSU put a bigger whipping on LaTech than Iowa did.I believe this should lock up a match up between Penn St and LSU in the Citrus Bowl. I'm pretty sure Iowa will still get a BCS bid. More than likely OSU and IA will change places in the polls. OSU# 10 and IA #11.

Mott the Hoople
11-15-2009, 11:20 AM
The PAC 10 appears to be the best conference top to bottom this year. Oh sure, the SEC has 3 of the top 10 teams but there's a big drop off after that. The Big 10 does one better with 4 rated teams and it looks like 4 teams with 9 wins or more but after Wisconsin there's a big drop off too. ACC and Big 12 have one very good team each and a big drop off after that. The PAC 10 on the other hand have 6 teams that can compete with the best teams the SEC and Big 10 have to offer. They get my vote for best conference this year.

WinterBorn
11-15-2009, 01:36 PM
The PAC 10 appears to be the best conference top to bottom this year. Oh sure, the SEC has 3 of the top 10 teams but there's a big drop off after that. The Big 10 does one better with 4 rated teams and it looks like 4 teams with 9 wins or more but after Wisconsin there's a big drop off too. ACC and Big 12 have one very good team each and a big drop off after that. The PAC 10 on the other hand have 6 teams that can compete with the best teams the SEC and Big 10 have to offer. They get my vote for best conference this year.

I am not worried about conference. I am looking to finish the season undefeated, beat Florida and then Texas.

Buffalo Soldier
11-15-2009, 04:24 PM
The conf race is for number 2. Prob the big twelve then PAC 10, then big ten.

WinterBorn
11-16-2009, 05:55 AM
I don't see how that's possible. Iowa didn't play La. Tech. LOL

My mistake, that was Idaho, wasn't it. Boise and LSU were the ranked teams that both pkayed LaTech.

Topspin
11-16-2009, 06:42 AM
The Pac10 doesn't have a team in the top 9. MOtt hates the SEC so much he will boost the conference that rapes him annually to ease his anti-SEC vile.

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
The Pac10 doesn't have a team in the top 9. MOtt hates the SEC so much he will boost the conference that rapes him annually to ease his anti-SEC vile.No....I have a thing for math. It's obvious. Look at both the win/loss column, common opponents and Quality wins (wins against winning programs and ranked teams). It become obvous that the Pac 10 is the best conference in football this year. SEC is great at the top....not so great after the top 3. For example. There are 6 teams in the Pact 10 better than the 4th best team in the SEC.

Topspin
11-16-2009, 10:21 AM
No....I have a thing for math. It's obvious. Look at both the win/loss column, common opponents and Quality wins (wins against winning programs and ranked teams). It become obvous that the Pac 10 is the best conference in football this year. SEC is great at the top....not so great after the top 3. For example. There are 6 teams in the Pact 10 better than the 4th best team in the SEC.

That's commical, thanks

Good thing we don't have the math dorks that do the computer rankings doing the polls we'd have app state as National Champs.

I haven't seen a single sports writer call the pac 10 no1.
But again, SEC as national champs so many times recently I can see how a jilted big 10 lover would lash out. Especially since LSU raped you without a reacharound.

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I am not worried about conference. I am looking to finish the season undefeated, beat Florida and then Texas.Win your conference and it's a good year no matter what. :)

I always worry about winning the conference. That's always job #1! mythical national championships and bowl games take care of themselves when you win your conference. At OSU that's always complicated by the greatest rivalry in all of sports. You can go 11-1 at Ohio State but if that 1 loss is against Michigan, that season sucked.

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
That's commical, thanks

Good thing we don't have the math dorks that do the computer rankings doing the polls we'd have app state as National Champs.

I haven't seen a single sports writer call the pac 10 no1.
But again, SEC as national champs so many times recently I can see how a jilted big 10 lover would lash out. Especially since LSU raped you without a reacharound.Well that's silly to. Having the best tean in the nation doesnt mean your the best conference in the nation top to bottom. It's obvious to any OBJECTIVE observer that this year the PAC 10 is the best conference. Bet that shows in Bowl play to. SEC has fallen off this year. They have 2 great teams, 1 above average team and the rest is average or less. Teams that normally are strong, S. Car, Tenn, Ark, Ole Miss, GA, etc don't look to hot this year.

Topspin
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
those sec teams would clean the mat with a lot of top 20 teams.

ALL TV analyst correctly call the SEC without a doubt the best conference.

2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 8 it's obvious to all but jilted Ohio Slow fans. GA beat Arizona state earlier. LSU raped GA Tech now no7 in a bowl just last year.

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 10:45 AM
BCS Pairings
Looks like the BCS would be;

NCG - Tx vs Bama/Fl winner
Rose - OSU vs Ore/Az winner
Sugar - Al/Fl loser against IA or Boies St.
Fiesta - TCU vs OK State
Orange - Cincinnati/Pitt vs GA. Tech

LSWho will probably play Penn St in the Citrus Bowl. Should be a good game. Both teams have a strong defense with the edge there to Penn St who is a bit better against the run. PSU is also significantly better on offense. Neither team has played a particularly tough schedule. Neither played a rated (or even winning) non-conf team. By seasons end PSU will have played two teams with winning recores (lost both) and LSWho will have played 3 (lost two, yet to play the third) so toughness of schedule is slightly in LSWho's favor. I'll take PSU by 3.

Topspin
11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
we played no1 and no2 your on crack

Penn State might actually beat us, I never figure how Iowa and Ohio state always beat them though.
And I hope Bose does play the SEC runner up.
I see a repeat of GA vs Hawaii

Topspin
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I think you may get an easy win vs either pac10 opponent.
Oregon can't pass and Linebacker U can still stop the run.

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM

2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 8 it's obvious to all but jilted Ohio Slow fans. GA beat Arizona state earlier. LSU raped GA Tech now no7 in a bowl just last year.
TV Analyst? Please, there all SEC alum and dumber than a bag full of hammers. These guys can barely breath through their mouths and make Dixie look like a rocket scientist and you're going to take their word? Please child! LOL

Topspin
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
we'll see who your hating on when Ohio slow blows another BCS game. LOFL

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I think you may get an easy win vs either pac10 opponent.
Oregon can't pass and Linebacker U can still stop the run.There a good team and we'll off the field two weeks longer then they will and given our recent record in Bowl games......We'll I'm not going to make any big bets. LOL

I do like OSU's chances. Their significantly better on defense than Oregon or Arizona. Oregan worries me more than Arizona because they are a good red zone team. OSU's big advantage against Oregon is we are better at stopping the run, create more turn overs and have less penalties. OSU has showed significant improvement since adopting a predominantly I-formation offense after the Purdue debacle. Pryor is playing more consistant, making better decisions and our running game has been much more affective. I like our chances though accoring to the air heads on TV we might as well not even show up to play since they've all ready decided we can't possibly win.

Mott the Hoople
11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
we'll see who your hating on when Ohio slow blows another BCS game. LOFL
Aw come on Topper, even you have to admit. The talking heads on sports on ESPN, The networks, talk radie ( Jim Rome) have a collective IQ of about 60. How can anyone possibly take them seriously? They're wrong more often then the weather man.

WinterBorn
11-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Topper, I have to agree with Mott here. After you leave the top 3 in our conference, we see several average teams and several that suck.

TN has defense, but thats about it. Arkansas looke good a few times. And Ole Miss was over-rated as hell.

SC & KY didn't show anyone anything. Vandy, MS State & Auburn suck.

Georgia would have trouble winning against anyone.

I think Bama and the Gators can beat anyone in the nation this year. And I think LSU could give plenty of teams fits and beat most of them.

But 3 out of 12 doesn't make for the best conference.

Epicurus
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
No....I have a thing for math. It's obvious. Look at both the win/loss column, common opponents and Quality wins (wins against winning programs and ranked teams). It become obvous that the Pac 10 is the best conference in football this year. SEC is great at the top....not so great after the top 3. For example. There are 6 teams in the Pact 10 better than the 4th best team in the SEC.

lol okay. Wow. Your knowledge of football rivals your knowledge of politics.

Buffalo Soldier
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
He's never recovered from lsu crushing Ohio state for the national championsip. It's sad now with cawacko having to deal with Stanford dropping 55 on sc at home they are theft with childish dribble.

Mott the Hoople
11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Topper, I have to agree with Mott here. After you leave the top 3 in our conference, we see several average teams and several that suck.

TN has defense, but thats about it. Arkansas looke good a few times. And Ole Miss was over-rated as hell.

SC & KY didn't show anyone anything. Vandy, MS State & Auburn suck.

Georgia would have trouble winning against anyone.

I think Bama and the Gators can beat anyone in the nation this year. And I think LSU could give plenty of teams fits and beat most of them.

But 3 out of 12 doesn't make for the best conference.
Exactly, where as the PAC 10 has 6 teams of the caliber of LSU or better this year.

Mott the Hoople
11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
He's never recovered from lsu crushing Ohio state for the national championsip. It's sad now with cawacko having to deal with Stanford dropping 55 on sc at home they are theft with childish dribble.Actually it was losing to Florida in the National Championship game twice in one year that we couldn't swallow. Losing to LSU when you pussies had a home field advantage for a game that should have been at a neutral site doesn't bother us as much. We know how uncomfortable LSU is about playing away from home. They miss their mommies! :pke:

Topspin
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Ga would beat half of the pac 10 even in there down year.
Check a listing of AP voters by state. Clue Cali has the most
Ole Miss was overrated at 4, now they are underrated and would beat many teams in the 13-20 range even though not ranked.
I don't get how you guy's zero out or nearly the top 1 & 3 spots, no 8 LSU (Best BCS team ever).

Topspin
11-17-2009, 11:50 AM
The pac 10 is better with the trojans back in the middle and a couple of top 15's. They may wind up with a clain to second best if the big twelve stumbles.
The SEC is way out front by miles. You can critisize experts all you want, I think the AP is highly biased to USC. But like political experts making calls, these are the people who make good livings at analyzing it.
1. SEC by miles
2. Big twelve is a ? with OK falling off a cliff
3. Pac10
4. Big 10 could be 3 or even 2 if Buckeyes win as they should, Iowa wins and they should. It could wind up with Penn State making the diff hopefully not at my tigers expense.

Mott the Hoople
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
The pac 10 is better with the trojans back in the middle and a couple of top 15's. They may wind up with a clain to second best if the big twelve stumbles.
The SEC is way out front by miles. You can critisize experts all you want, I think the AP is highly biased to USC. But like political experts making calls, these are the people who make good livings at analyzing it.
1. SEC by miles
2. Big twelve is a ? with OK falling off a cliff
3. Pac10
4. Big 10 could be 3 or even 2 if Buckeyes win as they should, Iowa wins and they should. It could wind up with Penn State making the diff hopefully not at my tigers expense.
Well at the end of the year we can tote up which conferences had the most wins against rated non-conf teams (regular season) and bowl wins and we'll know who the better conference is. Right now it's just an opinion but based on numbers and not some idiot journalists opinion, The PAC 10 is the best conference top to bottom this year, so far.

Minister of Truth
11-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Certainly the Oregon teams are doing the PAC-10 proud this year. I've been really impressed with the U, and State is generally a pretty decent team. The UW has been decent, but WSU has been the bottom of the barrel. I haven't really paid attention to Cal or UCLA, but Stanford did managed to beat the UW, even though we beat USC. I am going to put all of my faith in Oregon to lead the PAC-10 to glory, though...