PDA

View Full Version : APP - U.S. commander in Afghanistan talked with Obama only once

DamnYankee
09-29-2009, 08:54 AM
The military general credited with capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, says he has spoken with President Obama only once since taking command in Afghanistan.

"I’ve talked to the president, since I’ve been here, once on a VTC [video teleconference]," Gen. Stanley McChrystal told CBS reporter David Martin in a television interview that aired Sunday.

"You’ve talked to him once in 70 days?" Mr. Martin followed up.

"That is correct," the general replied.

This revelation comes amid the explosive publication of a classified report written by the general that said the war in Afghanistan "will likely result in failure" if more troops are not added next year. Yet, the debate over health care reform continues to dominate Washington’s political discussions.http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/back-story/2009/sep/28/us-commander-of-afghanistan-only-talked-to-obama-o/

All during the Iraq war you liberals were moaning about taking care of Afghanistan. Now your Dear Leader doesn't even talk to the Commanding General over there. :pke:

TuTu Monroe
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/back-story/2009/sep/28/us-commander-of-afghanistan-only-talked-to-obama-o/

All during the Iraq war you liberals were moaning about taking care of Afghanistan. Now your Dear Leader doesn't even talk to the Commanding General over there. :pke:

Nicolas Sarkozy is furious with Obama. He said he is very naive and extremely arrogant, which he is.

Damocles
09-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I was stunned when I first read this. It's simply unconscionable to spend the treasure of the future while ignoring the very real responsibility.

DamnYankee
09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Huge silence from the O-Bots on this. :readit:

We are seeing the epic failure of their Dear Leader.

christiefan915
09-30-2009, 08:31 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/back-story/2009/sep/28/us-commander-of-afghanistan-only-talked-to-obama-o/

I'll believe it when it's reported on sites other than RW blogs and newspapers.

Edit:

Gibbs says Mcchrystal and Obama communicate by weekly memos.

christiefan915
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM

So memos aren't communication? I don't telephone or meet with my pals from this forum, but we still communicate regularly.

White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs in a briefing Tuesday dispelled speculations that the President isn’t consulting with the general.

“The president receives a memo every week from General McChrystal,” Gibbs said.

Gibbs says that the weekly memo, which has both military and diplomatic components, guides the President’s decisions regarding Afghanistan and emphasized that Obama meets regularly with the military chain of command.

In response to a question about how the president views McChrystal, Gibbs responded, “Understand that the President signed off on putting General McChrystal where he is.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/09/gibbs-explains-why-the-president-has-only-talked-to-general-mcchrystal-once-in-10-weeks.html

WinterBorn
09-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Chain of Command

christiefan915
09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Nicolas Sarkozy is furious with Obama. He said he is very naive and extremely arrogant, which he is.

No, he didn't. If we're to believe hearsay, Sarkozy criticized Obama about Iran. Then the French government denied the story.

"Sarkozy has made his criticisms only in closed forums in France. But according to a senior Israeli government source, the reports reaching Israel indicate that Sarkozy views the Democratic candidate's stance on Iran as "utterly immature" and comprised of "formulations empty of all content."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1031943.html

UPDATE: The Obama campaign passes along this comment from a spokesman for the French government: "The remarks attributed by the newspaper Haaretz to the President of the French Republic concerning Senator Obama's positions on Iran are groundless. To the contrary, the in-depth discussions between the President of the Republic and Senator Obama on Iran during their meeting in Paris in July demonstrated a broad convergence of views on this issue. President Sarkozy and Senator Obama agree to oppose Iran's development of a military nuclear capability."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/sources-say-sar.html

DamnYankee
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
So memos aren't communication? I don't telephone or meet with my pals from this forum, but we still communicate regularly.

White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs in a briefing Tuesday dispelled speculations that the President isn’t consulting with the general.

Gibbs says that the weekly memo, which has both military and diplomatic components, guides the President’s decisions regarding Afghanistan and emphasized that Obama meets regularly with the military chain of command.

In response to a question about how the president views McChrystal, Gibbs responded, “Understand that the President signed off on putting General McChrystal where he is.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/09/gibbs-explains-why-the-president-has-only-talked-to-general-mcchrystal-once-in-10-weeks.html

No, a memo isn't an effective method of communication compared with an actual one-on-one telephone call. And the time they did "talk" it wasn't even that.

DamnYankee
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Chain of Command Your buddy maineman just got banned at DP for dissing someone's wife, like you did.

WinterBorn
09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
No, a memo isn't an effective method of communication compared with an actual one-on-one telephone call. And the time they did "talk" it wasn't even that.

The military runs on a strict chain of command. While the president can call on whomever he choses, it is not customary for the chain of command to be bypassed.

Lt Gen. McChrystal reports to people who brief the president on what is happening.

WinterBorn
09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Your buddy maineman just got banned at DP for dissing someone's wife, like you did.

The relevance of maineman's being banned at another site escapes me.

I haven't been banned here. Sorry to disappoint you.

TuTu Monroe
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
No, he didn't. If we're to believe hearsay, Sarkozy criticized Obama about Iran. Then the French government denied the story.

"Sarkozy has made his criticisms only in closed forums in France. But according to a senior Israeli government source, the reports reaching Israel indicate that Sarkozy views the Democratic candidate's stance on Iran as "utterly immature" and comprised of "formulations empty of all content."

UPDATE: The Obama campaign passes along this comment from a spokesman for the French government: "The remarks attributed by the newspaper Haaretz to the President of the French Republic concerning Senator Obama's positions on Iran are groundless. To the contrary, the in-depth discussions between the President of the Republic and Senator Obama on Iran during their meeting in Paris in July demonstrated a broad convergence of views on this issue. President Sarkozy and Senator Obama agree to oppose Iran's development of a military nuclear capability."

Of course you would never believe anything negative said about THE ONE. It doesn't matter, more and more people are starting to figure out his MO and not liking it.

YouTube - Sarkozy Says Obama Is Very Naive and Conceited

christiefan915
09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Of course you would never believe anything negative said about THE ONE. It doesn't matter, more and more people are starting to figure out his MO and not liking it.

YouTube - Sarkozy Says Obama Is Very Naive and Conceited (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGCTvpOi1I&feature=player_embedded#t=61)

I've posted a number of comments in which I disagreed with or criticized Obama. Wonder how you missed them?

I'm very familiar with Jack Kelly as he's a regular columnist in our paper. Also, he's a RW hack who has never said a decent word about Obama, or any Democrat, for that matter. I know that elevates him to sainthood in your estimation but I prefer more balanced editorializing.

LOL. Kelly: "I have a friend of a friend who has a friend that's a friend of a friend, and he says..."

TuTu Monroe
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
I've posted a number of comments in which I disagreed with or criticized Obama. Wonder how you missed them?

I'm very familiar with Jack Kelly as he's a regular columnist in our paper. Also, he's a RW hack who has never said a decent word about Obama, or any Democrat, for that matter. I know that elevates him to sainthood in your estimation but I prefer more balanced editorializing.

LOL. Kelly: "I have a friend of a friend who has a friend that's a friend of a friend, and he says..."

I find it to be true, just by Obama's remarks and actions. He IS arrogant and naive. THE ONE will save us all. I remember Michelle telling a group that Obama will take care of them. Oh really? :rolleyes:

Cancel5
09-30-2009, 03:13 PM

We all have, she just doesn't notice those types of things. We told her we would criticize him if he did things we disagree with and we have and we will continue to do so!
We don't think of him as she thought of Bush!

Cancel5
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Another good catch!!!!

ZappasGuitar
09-30-2009, 03:29 PM

What's that you say??

Tutu is LYING???

HOW DARE YOU madam?!?

She's NEVER LIED to anyone before, so why should...what...I'm sorry...what was that...ohhhhhhh, so she HAS lied before!

Never mind...

christiefan915
09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I find it to be true, just by Obama's remarks and actions. He IS arrogant and naive. THE ONE will save us all. I remember Michelle telling a group that Obama will take care of them. Oh really? :rolleyes:

That's pretty vague. I wonder if she was talking about helping these women:

"But, as Mrs. Obama said in her speech, denying coverage due to a history of domestic abuse is still legal in some states. Those states are Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota and Wyoming, and the District of Columbia, according to the National Women's Law Center...

...Back in the 1990s there was evidence that the practice was widespread. In 1994, a House Judiciary Committee panel conducted an informal survey and found that eight of the 16 largest insurers in the country used domestic violence as a factor in deciding coverage. And a year later, the Insurance Commission of Pennsylvania reported that a formal survey showed that 24 percent of accident, health, and life insurers took domestic violence into account when deciding whether to issue and renew insurance policies..."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/21/michelle-obama/michelle-obama-claims-domestic-violence-counts-pre/

cawacko
10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
The military runs on a strict chain of command. While the president can call on whomever he choses, it is not customary for the chain of command to be bypassed.

Lt Gen. McChrystal reports to people who brief the president on what is happening.

So it is not customary or not protocal for the President to be able to talk to the lead general in the field? I find that hard to believe.

WinterBorn
10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
So it is not customary or not protocal for the President to be able to talk to the lead general in the field? I find that hard to believe.

He may speak with him on occasion, if he thinks he is not getting good info.

But no, the chain of command is taken seriously.

cawacko
10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
He may speak with him on occasion, if he thinks he is not getting good info.

But no, the chain of command is taken seriously.

If I'm the President and I want to know to what's going on in a war zone wouldn't I want to talk directly with the man in charge? Why do I want info filtered on the way to me? The President is the C.I.C. That is his most important position. Why should he be 'blocked' from his top man? I've not served so I can't claim to know but from a business perspective I can not believe a CEO would ever not be able to call the head of one of his most important positions.

WinterBorn
10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
If I'm the President and I want to know to what's going on in a war zone wouldn't I want to talk directly with the man in charge? Why do I want info filtered on the way to me? The President is the C.I.C. That is his most important position. Why should he be 'blocked' from his top man? I've not served so I can't claim to know but from a business perspective I can not believe a CEO would ever not be able to call the head of one of his most important positions.

Partly because there would be other information involved, like from intelligence sources.

Also, since the president is as busy as a one-armed paperhanger, and the general is running a huge operation, they are both served by the president receiving info from the Joint Chiefs.