PDA

View Full Version : Cypress

Beefy
08-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Do you have a vintage Gibson SG?

LadyT
08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
http://www.perezhilton.com/index.php?page=2

LOL, everyone hates Gibson now, its great! This guy has nick named him, "Jew-hater", I really really really really really really really really hope MG gets black listed OJ style.

Beefy
08-01-2006, 07:28 PM

LOL, everyone hates Gibson now, its great! This guy has nick named him, "Jew-hater", I really really really really really really really really hope MG gets black listed OJ style.

LOL, I'm referring to the guitar in his avatar.

gonzojournals
08-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Mel has his own production company and more money than you will ever be able to comprehend. It doesn't matter if he becomes blacklisted.

LadyT
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
LOL, I'm referring to the guitar in his avatar.

Oh LMAO :rolleyes: ignore my other post then!

Cypress
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Do you have a vintage Gibson SG?

LOL I wish!

My first guitar, was a 1975 SG standard.

And in homage to Angus Young, my avatator is the gibson Angus young special

Beefy
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
LOL I wish!

My first guitar, was a 1975 SG standard.

And in homage to Angus Young, my avatator is the gibson Angus young special

That'ss all he's ever played, ever. The man is a stud. I grew up on ACDC. Do you still play?

Cypress
08-01-2006, 07:57 PM
That'ss all he's ever played, ever. The man is a stud. I grew up on ACDC. Do you still play?

On and off. I only have a japanese strat now. Play AC/DC covers with some hombres of mine. Yeah, Angus rocks.

Beefy
08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
've got a 79 American Standard. Used to have a Tom Anderson, and A Paul Reed Smith, but this one has tone and soul like nothing else. My favorite ACDC songs to jam are Highway to Hell (kickass, but easy to duplicate guitar leads), Shes Got the Jack, and Shoot to thrill. I'm really partial to the Bon Scott stuff though. "Ride On" is the story of my life, one of the songs my best friend says he'll play at my funeral. :)

FUCK THE POLICE
08-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I've got a shitty Stratpack...

Cheapest guitar on Earth.

My acoustic, however, sounds pretty good. It's about 20 or 30 years old. From a company named "Eagle". Never heard of it anywhere else.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
The only song I really know is Jeff Buckley's version of "hallejulah". Well, I know "folsom prison blues" kind of, and all of those White Stripes songs that everyone learns starting out on the gutiar. But those are extremely simple. Really, I compose my own stuff mostly, usually in a folkish style.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah, I know "The Times, they are a'changin". It's just a series of chords, though, nothing special.

Cypress
08-02-2006, 10:06 AM
've got a 79 American Standard. Used to have a Tom Anderson, and A Paul Reed Smith, but this one has tone and soul like nothing else. My favorite ACDC songs to jam are Highway to Hell (kickass, but easy to duplicate guitar leads), Shes Got the Jack, and Shoot to thrill. I'm really partial to the Bon Scott stuff though. "Ride On" is the story of my life, one of the songs my best friend says he'll play at my funeral. :)

Sweet. Nice axe collection.

Great tune selection there, Beefy. So many: where to start? I love covering Highway to hell, back in black, TNT, dirty deeds. I like the Bon Scott era, but Back in Black is probably the most classic hard rock album in history. I believe its sold 40 million copies worldwide. And believe it or not, AD/DC has outsold the rolling stones, and virtually every other rock band except the beatles, Zep, and Pink Floyd.

Beefy
08-02-2006, 10:28 AM
They put on a hell of a show too. I saw them in Long Beach for their Razor's Edge tour back in the early 90's. So clean and tight, no mistakes, great theatrics and props. I still have an Angus Dollar from that tour.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Bah!

All ACDC is is a bunch of cheapass stunts. No substance at all. Can't compose music, all they do is string together a bunch of oddly placed power chords and call it a song (too many bands do this shit today, I wish the power chord would just get banished back into the hells from whence it came). A perfect example of the decay of modern society.

Cypress
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
They put on a hell of a show too. I saw them in Long Beach for their Razor's Edge tour back in the early 90's. So clean and tight, no mistakes, great theatrics and props. I still have an Angus Dollar from that tour.

Word.

I think AC/DC opened for the rolling stones a couple years ago, at a SARS benefit. Should been the other way around, stones should have opened for them. I wouldn't want to be keith richards, following Angus Young's performance.

Beefy
08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Bah!

All ACDC is is a bunch of cheapass stunts. No substance at all. Can't compose music, all they do is string together a bunch of oddly placed power chords and call it a song (too many bands do this shit today, I wish the power chord would just get banished back into the hells from whence it came). A perfect example of the decay of modern society.

Well, Angus Young said it best himself:

I'm sick to death of people saying we've made 11 albums that sounds exactly the same, Infact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.

You gotta love it.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah. I'm just an elitist latte-sipping liberal who doesn't understand it.

Beefy
08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah. I'm just an elitist latte-sipping liberal who doesn't "understand" you guys.

Halleluja is the worst song ever.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Damn I love my iced latte's (sips latte, has orgasm).

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Halleluja is the worst song ever.

It's been covered about 100 times. I guess it's only understandable to us who drink the latte. :cof1:

Cypress
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Bah!

the final judge, is the music-listening public.

AC/DC has outsold the Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen.

Simplicity in musice does not mean its "bad". Bob Dylan was famous for writing simple, three-chord songs.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Oh, oh wait. YOUR MOM is the worst song ever! Hah!

Kicked your ass in that debate. Damn. I'm proud of myself.

No, seriously, have you ever even heard that song?

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM

AC/DC has outsold the Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen.

Simplicity in musice does not mean its "bad". Bob Dylan was famous for writing simple, three-chord songs.

You mean "The ignorant masses", as we like to call them?

Well, I guess it's OK. It's more of a fun band than anything. Just not my cup of tea.

Bob Dylan always wrote awesome lyrics, though.

Cypress
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM

My dad was a professional, classic-violinist, who also happend to like Led Zeppling, Deep Purple, and AC/DC.

Music isn't judged by how many chords, or notes it has.

OrnotBitwise
08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Damn I love my iced latte's (sips latte, has orgasm).
TMI, Watermark, TMI. :p

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
My dad was a professional, classic-violinist, who also happend to like Led Zeppling, Deep Purple, and AC/DC.

Music isn't judged by how many chords, or notes it has.

Yeah. I really shouldn't be the one saying that. I've made songs out of two chords before. I absolutely hate music that is too complex. They start taking away the feeling just to be complicated. What I hate more than the power chord is how bands these days will just add on ten or twenty instruments and parts until it all homogenizes together and gives it that shitty, soft sound. Everyone loves that style today (especially in new country, Emo-type music, most modern rock, and actually just about all non-rap they play today), but it makes my ears bleed.

Well, that's quite a reverse, isn't it?

I was just joking talking about ACDC, guys, don't ever take me seriously...

IHateGovernment
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
The listening public should not be a barometer of good music if it was we could say the Britney Spears produces good music. You can sell a shitload of crap albums it just means people's taste is in their ass. The same is true of books, movies and television. In fact I would say high popularity is often a sign something is not good.

That said I think AC/DC is a great band.

Cypress
08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
The listening public should not be a barometer of good music if it was we could say the Britney Spears produces good music. You can sell a shitload of crap albums it just means people's taste is in their ass. The same is true of books, movies and television. In fact I would say high popularity is often a sign something is not good.

That said I think AC/DC is a great band.

true. Temporary spikes in popularity is not a good case for awesome music.

That said, AC/DC has stood the test of time. They have consistently sold millions of albums for thirty years.

Brittiny is a flash in the pan. She will not stand the test to time, or continue to sell albums.

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Jeesh, too many people don't know how to play the freakin' guitar without drop D tuning and power chords. My first guitar was a '68 Strat sunburst... prolly worth about $10k now. A "friend" of mine stole it and skipped town.

:(

I mostly play acoustic now, and I have a very nice hand-built cedar top, one of the first ones made by Seagull. I would love to have a good Martin D-28, but not enough to part with that kind of cash.

klaatu
08-02-2006, 11:54 AM

A little Mccarthy in you eh?

klaatu
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Word.

I think AC/DC opened for the rolling stones a couple years ago, at a SARS benefit. Should been the other way around, stones should have opened for them. I wouldn't want to be keith richards, following Angus Young's performance.

What an uneducated statemet .....

Damocles
08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
I would have left after AC/DC finished. I hate watching Mick dance, he looks like a wounded pidgeon.

Beefy
08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I would have left after AC/DC finished. I hate watching Mick dance, he looks like a wounded pidgeon.

Yeah, that dopey schtick grew tired in '72.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Jeesh, too many people don't know how to play the freakin' guitar without drop D tuning and power chords. My first guitar was a '68 Strat sunburst... prolly worth about $10k now. A "friend" of mine stole it and skipped town.

:(

I mostly play acoustic now, and I have a very nice hand-built cedar top, one of the first ones made by Seagull. I would love to have a good Martin D-28, but not enough to part with that kind of cash.

Yeah. I have a friend who comes over, sometimes plays my guitar, and I always have to re-tune after he leaves. He never plays in standard, just power chords.

Cypress
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM

No doubt.

Did you see the stones superbowl performance? They totally sucked.

Damocles
08-02-2006, 12:33 PM
No doubt.

Did you see the stones superbowl performance? They totally sucked.
I was embarrassed for them...

klaatu
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
There is a pecking order in Rock and Roll.. even ACDC would tell you that.

For supposed Musicians ...you guys are truly lacking ....

Damocles
08-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Well, Mick's dance style could certainly be described as "pecking"...

I'm amazed that somebody that so clearly has no rhythm is able to keep time while singing...

Beefy
08-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, Mick's dance style could certainly be described as "pecking"...

LOL

The Stones jumped the shark at "Steel Wheels". Their last great toe tapper was "Factory Girl", on the last great album of theirs "Beggars Banquet".

Beefy
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM

What do you think of Skid Row, Warrant and Cinderella? Certainly they rank well on your so-called "pecking order".

klaatu
08-02-2006, 02:06 PM
What do you think of Skid Row, Warrant and Cinderella? Certainly they rank well on your so-called "pecking order".

Not of my World .... For me ..HM ranks at the bottom with HipHop...

Beefy
08-02-2006, 02:07 PM

HM? Does that stand for "Homo Metal"? Anyhow, what do you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan? Yingwie?

Cypress
08-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Ahem....AD/DC is not heavy metal.

I though you claimed to know more about the music industry than us? ;)

klaatu
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
HM? Does that stand for "Homo Metal"? Anyhow, what do you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan? Yingwie?

Now your talking ... Stevie was amongst the best ever bluesmen ....
Yngwie .. is right there with Joe Satrioni , Jon Mclaughlin
and Robert Fripp ;)

klaatu
08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Ahem....AD/DC is not heavy metal.

I though you claimed to know more about the music industry than us? ;)

Who said ACDC was heavy metal? I like ACDC... all I was implying is that the Stones are legends and were long before ACDC.. and ACDC will be the first to tell you that ...

In another post to another question... I stated I didnt like HM ... follow the thread ..

gonzojournals
08-02-2006, 03:58 PM
ACDC is heavy metal if you are referring to the original heavy metal.....

OrnotBitwise
08-02-2006, 04:11 PM
ACDC is heavy metal if you are referring to the original heavy metal.....
Oh, the original Heavy Metal . . . .
http://images.greencine.com/images/movies/amg/dvd/cov150/drt000/t046/t04648lxui8.jpg

Damocles
08-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Who said ACDC was heavy metal? I like ACDC... all I was implying is that the Stones are legends and were long before ACDC.. and ACDC will be the first to tell you that ...

In another post to another question... I stated I didnt like HM ... follow the thread ..
That doesn't mean I'm obliged to like their drivel more than AC/DC's...

I am not kidding, I would leave after AC/DC if they were opening for these guys...

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:04 PM
The only good song by the Stones is "Wild Horses". "Paint it Black" is OK.

I can't really tell you of any ACDC songs that I really love at all, though. Some of them are slightly humorous, but mostly it just ain't my cup o' tea.

Bob Dylan and the Beatles kick both their asses as older musicians go.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-02-2006, 10:05 PM
After the 70's heavy metal came in and killed rock. Nirvana was good, then everyone started to try and sound like shitty Nirvana's. So Nirvana killed rock too.

BRUTALITOPS
08-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Yeah. I absolutely hate music that is too complex. .

which is why you are against hooks and power chords?

Puts on guitar guessing hat: *i seeeeeee you playing forrrrrr 1.4 years*

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-03-2006, 06:59 AM
The only good song by the Stones is "Wild Horses". "Paint it Black" is OK.

I can't really tell you of any ACDC songs that I really love at all, though. Some of them are slightly humorous, but mostly it just ain't my cup o' tea.

Bob Dylan and the Beatles kick both their asses as older musicians go.

What about Dead Flowers? It's one of my favorite Stones song to play!

AC/DC is great for AC/DC, nobody does AC/DC better!

...And Bob Dylan or Lennon/McCarntney, beat everyone's ass regardless of whether they are young or old!

Damocles
08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
After the 70's heavy metal came in and killed rock. Nirvana was good, then everyone started to try and sound like shitty Nirvana's. So Nirvana killed rock too.
Nirvana was Grunge, the first to hit it so large, but a different category of Metal. It was an offshoot of like three different categories...

Hardcore Punk
Thrash Metal
and Alternative Rock all mixed together to make a unique sound with Grunge bands...

This is that "Seattle Sound" that people talk about when speaking of Metal Bands.

klaatu
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM
That doesn't mean I'm obliged to like their drivel more than AC/DC's...

I am not kidding, I would leave after AC/DC if they were opening for these guys...

Well.. to each their own ... I'll admit the 60 something Stones are not what they once were ... but I give them respect for the legacy they built.
One thing I will say .. their sound was much more versitle than AC/DC's.

With your fondness for Pink Floyd I am suprised that you are so into thrash ...

I do like ACDC .. thats about as far as I delve into power rock ... Im more into a complex wall of sound ..i.e. Pink Floyd .. Progressive ... and strong lyrical content ... Music motivates my mind .. more so than body ... thats probably the difference.

Damocles
08-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Well.. to each their own ... I'll admit the 60 something Stones are not what they once were ... but I give them respect for the legacy they built.
One thing I will say .. their sound was much more versitle than AC/DC's.

With your fondness for Pink Floyd I am suprised that you are so into thrash ...

I do like ACDC .. thats about as far as I delve into power rock ... Im more into a complex wall of sound ..i.e. Pink Floyd .. Progressive ... and strong lyrical content ... Music motivates my mind .. more so than body ... thats probably the difference.

I like a ton of different music, my favorites are HM and Country... I know, not such a great fit. I do love Pink Floyd, probably my singular favorite band...

Cypress
08-03-2006, 09:52 AM

Ummm, Kid? The 1970's were the disco era. An era of tastless and bad "music".

Bands like AC/DC, Zeppelin, and the Ramones probably saved rock music ;)

gonzojournals
08-03-2006, 08:08 PM
You don't like disco? I love disco, funk, house, basically any electronica, metal, alternative, latin, New Age, some rap....anything but most rap and country.

What is wrong with complicated songs? Sure, over-complexity kills it, but not listening to music simply because of technical riffs is being as narrowminded as only listening to music that is complex. You should never be an absolutist with music.

gonzojournals
08-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Oh, and I like your King Crimson avatar Klaatu...Robert Fripp is a god.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Ummm, Kid? The 1970's were the disco era. An era of tastless and bad "music".

Bands like AC/DC, Zeppelin, and the Ramones probably saved rock music ;)

70's wasn't all disco. Was Disco even the main genre in the seventies? But actually I've been listening to a lot of stuff from the 60's lately.