PDA

View Full Version : APP - What is your favourite euphemism?

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 06:35 AM
These two extracts might serve to encourage.

A rich enemy excites their cupidity; a poor one, their lust for power. East and West alike have failed to satisfy them.... To robbery, butchery, and rapine, they give the lying name of "government"; they create a desolation and call it peace.
Tacitus

Defenceless villages are bombarded from the air, the inhabitants driven out into the countryside, the cattle machine-gunned, the huts set on fire with incendiary bullets: this is called pacification. Millions of peasants are robbed of their farms and sent trudging along the roads with no more than they can carry: this is called transfer of population or rectification of frontiers. People are imprisoned for years without trial, or shot in the back of the neck or sent to die of scurvy in Arctic lumber camps: this is called elimination of unreliable elements. Such phraseology is needed if one wants to name things without calling up mental pictures of them.

George Owell

DamnYankee
09-25-2009, 08:22 AM
"Tolerant Liberal"

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
"Tolerant Liberal"

Well, that's not exactly a euphemism, more an oxymoron - like American intelligence.
But thanks for the contribution.

Damocles
09-25-2009, 08:29 AM
"Tolerant Liberal"
An excellent example of an oxymoron!

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 08:32 AM

If it was a bad example it wouldn't be one .... er ....would it?

Damocles
09-25-2009, 08:34 AM
"Corporations slurping at the public trough, while using antitrust rulings to crush their competitors? That's the "Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog Rule" in action."

Ayn Rand

DamnYankee
09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
An excellent example of an oxymoron! The Southern Man stands humbly corrected. :o

Damocles
09-25-2009, 08:44 AM
The Southern Man stands humbly corrected. :o
Ah, but it was a fine saying... Save it for a later thread, its time will come.

Don Quixote
09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
"Tolerant Liberal"

compassionate conservatives

Don Quixote
09-25-2009, 09:03 AM

what about social progressive

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 09:08 AM
what about social progressive

Hang on there one cotton picking moment, hang on, hangon hangonhangonhangon HANG ON.
D'you want me to change the title of this thread to 'What is your favourite oxymoron'?

Damocles
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
A euphemism is a phrase used to replace a word (or phrase that may be culturally offensive) some are meant to be humorous, others are created to make a more descriptive phrase...

Some examples of euphemisms:

A couple who is having sex can be said to be making the "two backed beast" or "playing legos" or any number of witty euphemisms..

Somebody who is cursing can be said to be using "turd pool language", "foul-mouthing", and a number of other phrases...

Don Quixote
09-25-2009, 09:15 AM
A euphemism is a phrase used to replace a word (or phrase that may be culturally offensive) some are meant to be humorous, others are created to make a more descriptive phrase...

Some examples of euphemisms:

A couple who is having sex can be said to be making the "two backed beast" or "playing legos" or any number of witty euphemisms..

Somebody who is cursing can be said to be using "turd pool language", "foul-mouthing", and a number of other phrases...

ok

how about gas lighting

Minister of Truth
09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Pro-Choice

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 06:25 PM
ok

how about gas lighting

There is clearly some confusion about exactly what constitutes a eupehemism. Here are a few examples:
My dog went to the bathroom in the yard. = My dog took a dump on the lawn. How did the dog get into this bathroom that someone has built in the garden. Was a key involved?
Friendly fire = shooting and killing the wrong people.
Colateral damage = violently killing the wrong people
and from a thread just started here
Gitmo. Gitmo? sounds harmless enough. Pre-bloody-cisely. Gitmo is sanitisation of one of many things that has brought America into disrepute. Gitmo is not people. Gitmo is not people who have been thrown into gaol without trial purely at the whim of a president who didn't know what to do next. Gitmo is now cutesy, disneyesque, cartoon like.
We dance, like marionettes, to the tune of our masters. How do they make us do that? The euphemism.

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Pro-Choice

Good

christiefan915
09-25-2009, 07:32 PM
There is clearly some confusion about exactly what constitutes a eupehemism. Here are a few examples:
My dog went to the bathroom in the yard. = My dog took a dump on the lawn. How did the dog get into this bathroom that someone has built in the garden. Was a key involved?
Friendly fire = shooting and killing the wrong people.
Colateral damage = violently killing the wrong people
and from a thread just started here
Gitmo. Gitmo? sounds harmless enough. Pre-bloody-cisely. Gitmo is sanitisation of one of many things that has brought America into disrepute. Gitmo is not people. Gitmo is not people who have been thrown into gaol without trial purely at the whim of a president who didn't know what to do next. Gitmo is now cutesy, disneyesque, cartoon like.
We dance, like marionettes, to the tune of our masters. How do they make us do that? The euphemism.

I was going to say "collateral damage"! Also, "passed away" instead of "died".

apple0154
09-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Pro-Choice

Pro-Life......

As they ceaselessly beat the war drums, accept collateral damage, vote for the death penalty.....

On second thought maybe it's not a euphemism but it is a damn lie.

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Pro-Life......

As they ceaselessly beat the war drums, accept collateral damage, vote for the death penalty.....

This will be understood only by Charver and Tom.

Messenger to Northumbrian general fighting the Picts (or some such):

Messenger: "General, they've got war drums."
General: "The rotten, thievin' bastards!"

uscitizen
09-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Tort Reform?

USFREEDOM911
09-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Kind of like British Intelligence. :cof1:

USFREEDOM911
09-25-2009, 09:44 PM

"Hope and change"!!

Lowaicue
09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Kind of like British Intelligence. :cof1:

An oxymoron. Much like US Freedom, my friend.

USFREEDOM911
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911
Kind of like British Intelligence.

An oxymoron. Much like US Freedom, my friend.

Nice to see that I still pwn you. :chesh:

FUCK THE POLICE
09-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Enhanced interrogation.

cawacko
09-26-2009, 12:56 AM
generously proportioned or festively plump instead of fat

FUCK THE POLICE
09-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Curvy instead of fat.

I know that men started using the word "curvy" to refer to non-anorexic girls who still weren't fat, but the term has been completely and totally taken over by grotesquely fat girls who think that just because we created a positive term for girls of healthy, non-anorexic weight it means 200+ is suddenly attractive. The healthy weight girls almost never use the term. When any girl describes herself as this, ignore.

Don Quixote
09-26-2009, 01:25 AM
you are cordially invited to the christian theological place of eternal punishment - no rsvp

cancel2 2022
09-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Well, that's not exactly a euphemism, more an oxymoron - like American intelligence.
But thanks for the contribution.

Here are few that I've found.

Negative patient care outcome Dead
Previously owned Second hand
Differently abled Handicapped
Bathroom tissue Toilet paper
Unwilling sperm recipient Rape victim

I'll leave the last word to George Carlin

LiveLeak.com - George Carlin: Soft Language

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFmRypAYz_E&feature=player_embedded#t=47)

Minister of Truth
09-26-2009, 02:08 PM
generously proportioned or festively plump instead of fat

Vertically Challenged and Horizontally Challenged.

Minister of Truth
09-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Pro-Life......

OMG Seriously??? Most hardcore pro-life people I have ever met are anti-war and anti-death penalty... And if a war happened that was actually necessary (like WWII) collateral damage would happen then, too.

And even if someone is not hardcore, the mass murder of infants is still disgusting to them. You are just a callous jerk.

Lowaicue
09-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Here are few that I've found.

Negative patient care outcome Dead
Previously owned Second hand
Differently abled Handicapped
Bathroom tissue Toilet paper
Unwilling sperm recipient Rape victim

I'll leave the last word to George Carlin

LiveLeak.com - George Carlin: Soft Language (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f8c_1233289089)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFmRypAYz_E&feature=player_embedded#t=47)

Yup. Carlin gets it right, as usual.
Someone on here referred to themselves as an American of African descent!! Did he mean he played rugby for the Boks or that he was black? I'm white why the hell can't he be black? I'm tall, why can't someone of say 5'6" or less be called short? There's nothing to be ashamed of! And as Carlin says this is mostly American crap but its spreading. Anyway I must go to the bathroom. I need a shower and a shave.