PDA

View Full Version : New Toy! Kimber TLE II 1911 .45ACP

WinterBorn
09-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I have been looking at buying an autoloader for a while. I am very impressed so far. Took it to the range today and burned thru an entire box of hollowpoints. Good 3 dot sights and a sweet trigger.

There were a lot of autoloaders out there, but the 1911 impressed me the most. I doubt there is a better example of form, fit & function out there.

Judging by the info I found when researching it, I am not alone in thinking that.

Anyone else shoot much .45 ACP?

uscitizen
09-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I have one. Supposedly accurized, etc. Shoots sweet. It is in a holster on my wheelchair.

Socrtease
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I have been looking at buying an autoloader for a while. I am very impressed so far. Took it to the range today and burned thru an entire box of hollowpoints. Good 3 dot sights and a sweet trigger.

There were a lot of autoloaders out there, but the 1911 impressed me the most. I doubt there is a better example of form, fit & function out there.

Judging by the info I found when researching it, I am not alone in thinking that.

Anyone else shoot much .45 ACP?Stop there. You have found, IMO, the best .45 ACP made. Best trigger action, doesn't get sloppy from repeated use. Buy it now.

uscitizen
09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Actually mine is a Remington Rand made in 1944 I think.

Norman Paperman
09-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Mine's a Colt 1911, and I love it. I'd go so far as to say, I will probably buy another one someday.

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Stop there. You have found, IMO, the best .45 ACP made. Best trigger action, doesn't get sloppy from repeated use. Buy it now.

I must have been unclear. Its already mine.

Great pistol!

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 05:14 AM
I was impressed with the accuracy and the ease of use.

As a confirmed revolver fan, I was expecting less from this gun. I could put all my shots into the kill zone at 50 yards.

DamnYankee
09-14-2009, 05:58 AM
No doubt that is the Cadillac of pistols. If I had one of those though I'd keep it in my safe instead of at-the-ready. To me guns are tools and meant to be available as such.

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 06:18 AM
No doubt that is the Cadillac of pistols. If I had one of those though I'd keep it in my safe instead of at-the-ready. To me guns are tools and meant to be available as such.

You and I finally agree on something.

This gun will not be kept in a safe. I am not retiring my revolver yet, but my Kimber will be carried not stored.

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't call it a Cadillac. It is still a workhorse and not built for pretty but for deadly.

DamnYankee
09-14-2009, 06:39 AM
You and I finally agree on something.

This gun will not be kept in a safe. I am not retiring my revolver yet, but my Kimber will be carried not stored. Since you're thinking of moving into the 20th and 21st century you should consider a more serviceable weapon with a polymer frame and a trigger mounted safety, such as a Glock or many of it's copy cats. S&W has an excellent "firearm adviser (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11601&categoryId=15151&content=10501)" that will help you decide which is best for you based on anticipated use.

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Since you're thinking of moving into the 20th and 21st century you should consider a more serviceable weapon with a polymer frame and a trigger mounted safety, such as a Glock or many of it's copy cats. S&W has an excellent "firearm adviser (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11601&categoryId=15151&content=10501)" that will help you decide which is best for you based on anticipated use.

Actually, I did a good bit of research before I purchased my Kimber.

I bought what the best experts in the world say is the finest combat weapon available.

Socrtease
09-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Actually, I did a good bit of research before I purchased my Kimber.

I bought what the best experts in the world say is the finest combat weapon available.Several months ago I was at Camp Dona Ana which is part of White Sands and Fort Bliss training grounds. They have an opfor out there like they do at NTC and I would estimate every 3rd officer was carrying the Desert Warrior which looks like this:

http://www.proguns.com/images/kimber-desert-warrior.jpg

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Several months ago I was at Camp Dona Ana which is part of White Sands and Fort Bliss training grounds. They have an opfor out there like they do at NTC and I would estimate every 3rd officer was carrying the Desert Warrior which looks like this:

http://www.proguns.com/images/kimber-desert-warrior.jpg

Mine looks a lot like that except a more traditional grip and its stainless.

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
And I may change the grips on mine. Just to add a touch of my own to it.

WinterBorn
09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Since you're thinking of moving into the 20th and 21st century you should consider a more serviceable weapon with a polymer frame and a trigger mounted safety, such as a Glock or many of it's copy cats. S&W has an excellent "firearm adviser (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11601&categoryId=15151&content=10501)" that will help you decide which is best for you based on anticipated use.

Just as a bit of info for you, when they allow special forces to select their own weapons, they almost always go with a 1911 in .45ACP.

Delta Force carries them, as do Marine Force Recon, and several army special forces units. LAPD S.W.A.T., most FBI S.W.A.T. teams, and the FBI Hostage Rescue Team all carry variants of the 1911 .45ACP.

And I would consider all of those to be some of the best experts in firearms that there are.

BRUTALITOPS
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I have one. Supposedly accurized, etc. Shoots sweet. It is in a holster on my wheelchair.

can you walk and stuff?

I dont' know if that's a rude question but you half brought it up O_O

Minister of Truth
09-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Anyone else shoot much .45 ACP?

They had autoloaders in 1911? Wow...

uscitizen
09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
can you walk and stuff?

I dont' know if that's a rude question but you half brought it up O_O

Yeah about 25% of the time now.

Not rude, hard to tell without asking when dealing over the net.

uscitizen
09-14-2009, 09:23 PM

We are still using 30 and 50 cal machine guns developed just after WW1.

DamnYankee
09-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Just as a bit of info for you, when they allow special forces to select their own weapons, they almost always go with a 1911 in .45ACP.

Delta Force carries them, as do Marine Force Recon, and several army special forces units. LAPD S.W.A.T., most FBI S.W.A.T. teams, and the FBI Hostage Rescue Team all carry variants of the 1911 .45ACP.

And I would consider all of those to be some of the best experts in firearms that there are.
I'm sorry I wasn't aware that you were special forces.

WinterBorn
09-15-2009, 04:34 AM
I'm sorry I wasn't aware that you were special forces.

Did I claim to be special forces? I was just responding to your post concerning my choice of firearms.

I respect the opinions of experts in some areas. This is one of them.

WinterBorn
09-15-2009, 04:38 AM

John M. Browning designed his pistol in 1901 or so, and had a couple of modifications between then and when his pistol was adopted by the US Armed forces in 1911.

There were several autoloaders already in production back then. They just weren't the reliable designs that Browning produced.

Its a credit to his genius that the gun he designed 100 years ago is still the choice of professionals today. They also rule the Practical Competitions.

DamnYankee
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Did I claim to be special forces? I was just responding to your post concerning my choice of firearms.

I respect the opinions of experts in some areas. This is one of them.At least you can put that old revolver back in the drawer where it belongs.

WinterBorn
09-16-2009, 03:37 AM
At least you can put that old revolver back in the drawer where it belongs.

Pack away my .44? Oh hell no! That old girl will still go with me when I am out in the boonies and the woods. An auto won't handle shotshells. That is always the first round in the wheelgun when I am out in the boonies.

DamnYankee
09-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I think you mean semi-auto, or auto loader.

WinterBorn
09-16-2009, 07:25 AM
I think you mean semi-auto, or auto loader.

Yes that what I meant. I thought you would understand the shorthand. I did not think you and I were discussing machineguns.

DamnYankee
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Since you were talking about Special Forces I wasn't sure.

WinterBorn
09-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Since you were talking about Special Forces I wasn't sure.

Yes you were. You were just trying to be a jerk.

And you claim my larger posts are signs that I am throwing a hissy fit. This is a prime example of why I post so much. I use a simple shorter term for an autoloader, and you respond, not to the post but with a correction about the terminology.

I mentioned the special forces only once, and it was to show that the experts prefer a 1911 over any of the newer guns you recommended with your "when you decide to move into the 21st century" nonsense post.

Now, if you would like to continue the discussion .......

WinterBorn
09-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Pack away my .44? Oh hell no! That old girl will still go with me when I am out in the boonies and the woods. The Kimber TLE II 1911A! semiautomatic .45ACP won't handle shotshells. That is always the first round in the wheelgun when I am out in the boonies.

(that should clear up any confusion)

DamnYankee
09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
LOL Another hissy fit.

WinterBorn
09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
LOL Another hissy fit.

Hardly

WinterBorn
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
If anyone is interested, the CCI shotshell ammo works great.

I would recommend it for any revolver carried in the woods. It also makes a good first round for home defense.

The .44 shotshell makes short work of rattlesnakes or water mocassins.

/MSG/
09-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Very nice choice. I have a Rock Island .45 that shoots better than I do. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Minister of Truth
09-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Pack away my .44? Oh hell no! That old girl will still go with me when I am out in the boonies and the woods. The Kimber TLE II 1911A! semiautomatic .45ACP won't handle shotshells. That is always the first round in the wheelgun when I am out in the boonies.

(that should clear up any confusion)

I was just joking with my post. I know nothing about firearms, so I jumped onto the number '1911,' assuming it referred to measurement or ballistics, and not to an actual year...

:cool:

uscitizen
09-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a .357 double barrel derringer that works nice with shotshells for snakes and such.

Got it at Herters many years ago when you could still get them mailorder. for 20 some dollars I think.

Great for intimidation, point it at someone and they can see the bullet down the barrel.

Shoots ok, I can hit a 1 foot circle everytime at 50'. Not sure which way the bullet it turned by then though. Not much rifiling in front of it.

WinterBorn
09-22-2009, 05:22 AM
I have a .357 double barrel derringer that works nice with shotshells for snakes and such.

Got it at Herters many years ago when you could still get them mailorder. for 20 some dollars I think.

Great for intimidation, point it at someone and they can see the bullet down the barrel.

Shoots ok, I can hit a 1 foot circle everytime at 50'. Not sure which way the bullet it turned by then though. Not much rifiling in front of it.

The shotshell works great for dispatching legless reptiles and for sending hostile canines running for the horizon. That is why I carry a gun in the woods.

DamnYankee
09-22-2009, 06:15 AM
I was just joking with my post. I know nothing about firearms, so I jumped onto the number '1911,' assuming it referred to measurement or ballistics, and not to an actual year...

:cool: In its original configuration it was developed by John M. Browning in 1911, hence the name, and many still today regard the design as the pinnacle of semi-auto pistol design. Many believe that Browning was visited upon by extraterrestrial life and that they gave him the sophisticated design; either that or by God himself.

WinterBorn
09-22-2009, 06:34 AM
In its original configuration it was developed by John M. Browning in 1911, hence the name, and many still today regard the design as the pinnacle of semi-auto pistol design. Many believe that Browning was visited upon by extraterrestrial life and that they gave him the sophisticated design; either that or by God himself.

I think Browning died so God could have him teach Him how to design guns so well.

Minister of Truth
09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
:lol:

/MSG/
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
In its original configuration it was developed by John M. Browning in 1911, hence the name, and many still today regard the design as the pinnacle of semi-auto pistol design. Many believe that Browning was visited upon by extraterrestrial life and that they gave him the sophisticated design; either that or by God himself.

He is St. John Moses Browning afterall.

DamnYankee
09-23-2009, 07:32 PM
So he's Catholic? Cool.

/MSG/
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
So he's Catholic? Cool.
If I remember correctly he was actually a Mormon.

DamnYankee
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
If I remember correctly he was actually a Mormon.Do Mormons have saints?

Cancel5
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Do Mormons have saints?
The Latter Day Saints...they become gods and goddesses if they take the right steps!

Minister of Truth
09-28-2009, 11:01 PM
The Latter Day Saints...they become gods and goddesses if they take the right steps!

They become like me! :woot:

Damocles
09-29-2009, 07:40 AM
But if you don't in life you can get there in the afterlife, it just takes more time.

WinterBorn
10-22-2009, 12:19 PM
The Crimson Trace grips I bought for my .45 arrived today.

Nice addition, and I am looking forward to running it thru its paces at the range.

Minister of Truth
10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
The Crimson Trace grips I bought for my .45 arrived today.

Nice addition, and I am looking forward to running it thru its paces at the range.

You couldn't possibly slow its paces down to a trot or brisk walk?

WinterBorn
10-24-2009, 05:14 PM
You couldn't possibly slow its paces down to a trot or brisk walk?

No fun doing that. I want her to run full blast.