PDA

View Full Version : APP - No Lesson Plans, No Quotes, Just A Talk to Students.

Socrtease
09-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Firstly, I apologize but I could not remember the title of the thread that brought this up and I was sufficiently perturbed by the subject so I started a new one. Damo or Grind, if you want you can put this as an attachment to the original thread.

So....

On Friday, my step-daughter brought home a permission slip for the Presidential address that is going to happen in schools all over the country. I was a bit concerned because of the things I had read here. I voted for Obama but if his speech was going to include a lesson plan and quotes for the class room I was not sure I wanted her to be present because I don't want any sort of indoctrination, even if it is coming from the guy I voted for. No, check that, ESPECIALLY if it comes from the guy I voted for. So, my wife called her mom and finally they talked today. Her mother is a teacher in Kalama Washington. She teaches 6th and 7th grade english. She wanted to know what her mom knew, as a teacher, about this. Her mother told her that there was NEVER a lesson plan sent, nor were there quotes or anything else. The ONLY thing they were told was that when the speech was over, there would be a class assignment where the kids would write a short blub on what they thought was the most important thing the president said. When I heard this, I called my brother. He and my sister in law are teachers in Hatch, NM, a small farming community that grows the best green chile in the world. He confirmed this for me. No lesson plans, no talking points, no quotes. Nada, just the same thing; kids write what they think was the most important thing the president said. The teachers, both here and in Washington were also told they were to not comment positively or negatively on what was said, and they were not to bring politics into the discussion at all.

What my mother in law said was the most interesting to me. Her school ALSO required kids to sign a permission slip to be able to sit in class and listen to the PRESIDENT OF THE FUCKING UNITED STATES. When Bush spoke, wasn't required. They just turned on the TV and let him speak. So... what I have deduced from all this is that we have allowed the Obama haters, the people that lost and how, to push this to the point that kids have to have PERMISSION to listen to the leader of the free world speak to them. Conservatives have SOOOOO mired this is their own losing politics, that kids can't just come into the class and listen. Good job right wingers. You all should be proud. This is a crowning moment in your whinning and sobbing over your party screwing things up so badly inside their own movement that parents have to approve of their kids listening to the president of the united states. Job well done!

uscitizen
09-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Very good post. I agree.

midcan5
09-07-2009, 06:28 AM
I find the entire debate and dialogue concerning this issue beyond silly. Reagan and Bush both indoctrinated the kids into free market greed politics with every appearance on TV. Do parents think their children don't watch TV! I've heard Reagan's kid speech was subtly anti government as every other stupid thing he ever said was, so why wasn't that fool censored - oh yea, he was giving the corporate party line.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200909030020

The right wing kooks are intent on making America a third world nation of dumb workers, they are succeeding.

meme
09-07-2009, 06:31 AM
We don't need a President beaming his face into our classrooms..let him go talk to his Union goons, but leave our kids alone.

uscitizen
09-07-2009, 07:32 AM
We don't need a President beaming his face into our classrooms..let him go talk to his Union goons, but leave our kids alone.

Of course you had the same attitude when Reagan and Bush did it?

meme
09-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I gave permission to my high school kid to take a nap during his speech if he feels like it..of course listening to the Hugo Obamas monotone droning on and on probably could put an insomniac to sleep:cof1:

uscitizen
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Actually what this all brings out to me is the lengths that some will go to to conceal their rascism.

meme
09-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Actually what this all brings out to me is the lengths that some will go to to conceal their rascism.

yeah yeah, we are all friggen RACIST..:rolleyes:

uscitizen
09-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Many of us are, esp in red rural areas.
Just becuase we are not members of the KKK and such does not mean we are not rascist.
I admit to having prejudicial views about blacks.
I grew up in a rural area and did not see a live black person till I was about 16 or so.
I work on my issues though.
And no I will not go into details of what my prejudicial views are either.

tinfoil
09-07-2009, 08:33 AM

LOL race card!!

uscitizen
09-07-2009, 08:38 AM
LOL race card!!

Dissing it does not make rascism go away.

Damocles
09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
You had the exact same issue I had, the lesson plans originally published on the government's education website changed but were definitely there. I even linked to them. I should have copy/pasted them as they did change.

The problem that I have is if there had been no objections to the indoctrination portion how many classrooms would have participated in them without thought?

Presidents have done this before, but none included the portions that I linked to in that thread that I had problems with. I even mentioned that fact. I don't think it is bad to have Obama talk to kids at school, the parts that I thought were bad had to do with the plans that were included with it on the site. They were wrong.

Socrtease
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
You had the exact same issue I had, the lesson plans originally published on the government's education website changed but were definitely there. I even linked to them. I should have copy/pasted them as they did change.

The problem that I have is if there had been no objections to the indoctrination portion how many classrooms would have participated in them without thought?

Presidents have done this before, but none included the portions that I linked to in that thread that I had problems with. I even mentioned that fact. I don't think it is bad to have Obama talk to kids at school, the parts that I thought were bad had to do with the plans that were included with it on the site. They were wrong.Like I pointed out on the other thread, the lesson plans on the gov website all said "might" meaning that they might want to do those things. That being the case they MIGHT also not want to do ANYTHING. This faux outrage was started by the AM radio morons and carried on into the public by their ever so enlightened listeners. Morons begat morons and too many otherwise clear thinking people got swept up in the stupidity. As I said above, all this has managed is to turn a presidential address to students, who should do nothing more than watch it with a respect that the position is entitled, into a political ploy in which poor loser repugnicans are going to either keep their children home or not allow them to watch the president. This is a great precident your side has created here. As I said earlier, well done.

Damocles
09-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Like I pointed out on the other thread, the lesson plans on the gov website all said "might" meaning that they might want to do those things. That being the case they MIGHT also not want to do ANYTHING. This faux outrage was started by the AM radio morons and carried on into the public by their ever so enlightened listeners. Morons begat morons and too many otherwise clear thinking people got swept up in the stupidity. As I said above, all this has managed is to turn a presidential address to students, who should do nothing more than watch it with a respect that the position is entitled, into a political ploy in which poor loser repugnicans are going to either keep their children home or not allow them to watch the president. This is a great precident your side has created here. As I said earlier, well done.
And again, how many people would have followed them without thought? Just because your sister would not have does not change that I believe that many would.

I think you are having a hard time not being an apologist for somebody you voted for, what was planned here was not the same thing as a simple speech. Almost all of the things they suggested they "might" do were something you would object to if they "might" have done them during Bush's or Reagan's speeches to kids...

Bonestorm
09-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Presidents have done this before, but none included the portions that I linked to in that thread that I had problems with. I even mentioned that fact. I don't think it is bad to have Obama talk to kids at school, the parts that I thought were bad had to do with the plans that were included with it on the site. They were wrong.

Is there a single lunatic wing-nut bullshit fauxrage shitstorm that you won't defend?

Jesus.

You're a joke.

Damocles
09-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Is there a single lunatic wing-nut bullshit fauxrage shitstorm that you won't defend?

Jesus.

You're a joke.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, seriously. If Bush had published those lesson plans with suggestions on how to aggrandize Bush in the classroom you would have dropped a load in your pants.

Hypocrisy much?

There appears to be no point where you might stop, look, and say... "Well, yeah... that is a bit too far."...

So long as it was the guy you voted for, it doesn't matter what they do.

Socrtease
09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
And again, how many people would have followed them without thought? Just because you sister would not have does not change that I believe that many would.I concede you are right that many may have, but that does not make this the Young Pioneers, or as many of our enlightened right wing members have said here, Hitler youth. Your side is so fucking bitter about losing that they are willing to have their children be used as pawns to disrespect the president of the united states. This is how politics is, one side wins for a while and then the momentum shifts. But anytime someone with a D behind his name is elected president in this country it signifies the end of the market system in the US. Comparisons to the Young Pioneers and Hitler Youth spill from rightwing mouths like there is ANY comparison to be made. Granted it happens on the left, but as you are one to point out ALL the time, the "they do it too" defense is weak as Budwieser.

Damocles
09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I concede you are right that many may have, but that does not make this the Young Pioneers, or as many of our enlightened right wing members have said here, Hitler youth. Your side is so fucking bitter about losing that they are willing to have their children be used as pawns to disrespect the president of the united states. This is how politics is, one side wins for a while and then the momentum shifts. But anytime someone with a D behind his name is elected president in this country it signifies the end of the market system in the US. Comparisons to the Young Pioneers and Hitler Youth spill from rightwing mouths like there is ANY comparison to be made. Granted it happens on the left, but as you are one to point out ALL the time, the "they do it too" defense is weak as Budwieser.
Actually I mocked what they were saying about "Young Pioneers" on the radio. I do think that it is wrong to have a self-aggrandizing lesson plan that people "might" use in any classroom, but while there are echoes, it is very different from the Young Pioneers...

SmarterthanYou
09-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Jesus.

You're a joke.

that isn't at all ironic now, is it? i've seen you defend several left wing lunatic bullshit fauxrage shitstorms and all without batting an eye.

Bonestorm
09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, seriously. If Bush had published those lesson plans with suggestions on how to aggrandize Bush in the classroom you would have dropped a load in your pants.

Hypocrisy much?

There appears to be no point where you might stop, look, and say... "Well, yeah... that is a bit too far."...

So long as it was the guy you voted for, it doesn't matter what they do.

Bullshit. You can project all you like and pretend to know what I would do "if" but we know for sure what you would do when - you'd embrace the knuckleheads and give them a big wet kiss. As I said some time ago, for a guy that likes to pretend he has an independent streak you are a remarkably typical Republican.

The President is speaking to school children. It's a remarkably unremarkable thing for a head of state to do. The idea that giving out optional lesson plans for teachers and providing some activities for student is "a bit too far" is hysterical.

Bonestorm
09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
that isn't at all ironic now, is it? i've seen you defend several left wing lunatic bullshit fauxrage shitstorms and all without batting an eye.

Such as . . .

Socrtease
09-07-2009, 10:07 AM
that isn't at all ironic now, is it? i've seen you defend several left wing lunatic bullshit fauxrage shitstorms and all without batting an eye.Like what? The "war" in Iraq? The use of questionable if not downright illegal methods of interrogation on people that we were not even sure were the enemy? Of what do you speak?

Cypress
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Firstly, I apologize but I could not remember the title of the thread that brought this up and I was sufficiently perturbed by the subject so I started a new one. Damo or Grind, if you want you can put this as an attachment to the original thread.

So....

On Friday, my step-daughter brought home a permission slip for the Presidential address that is going to happen in schools all over the country. I was a bit concerned because of the things I had read here. I voted for Obama but if his speech was going to include a lesson plan and quotes for the class room I was not sure I wanted her to be present because I don't want any sort of indoctrination, even if it is coming from the guy I voted for. No, check that, ESPECIALLY if it comes from the guy I voted for. So, my wife called her mom and finally they talked today. Her mother is a teacher in Kalama Washington. She teaches 6th and 7th grade english. She wanted to know what her mom knew, as a teacher, about this. Her mother told her that there was NEVER a lesson plan sent, nor were there quotes or anything else. The ONLY thing they were told was that when the speech was over, there would be a class assignment where the kids would write a short blub on what they thought was the most important thing the president said. When I heard this, I called my brother. He and my sister in law are teachers in Hatch, NM, a small farming community that grows the best green chile in the world. He confirmed this for me. No lesson plans, no talking points, no quotes. Nada, just the same thing; kids write what they think was the most important thing the president said. The teachers, both here and in Washington were also told they were to not comment positively or negatively on what was said, and they were not to bring politics into the discussion at all.

What my mother in law said was the most interesting to me. Her school ALSO required kids to sign a permission slip to be able to sit in class and listen to the PRESIDENT OF THE FUCKING UNITED STATES. When Bush spoke, wasn't required. They just turned on the TV and let him speak. So... what I have deduced from all this is that we have allowed the Obama haters, the people that lost and how, to push this to the point that kids have to have PERMISSION to listen to the leader of the free world speak to them. Conservatives have SOOOOO mired this is their own losing politics, that kids can't just come into the class and listen. Good job right wingers. You all should be proud. This is a crowning moment in your whinning and sobbing over your party screwing things up so badly inside their own movement that parents have to approve of their kids listening to the president of the united states. Job well done!

Who could have possibly predicted that Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and NewsMax would have promoted a faux outrage story that had their message board parrots scrambling for the smelling salts and fainting couches?

meme
09-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Who could have possibly predicted that Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and NewsMax would have promoted a faux outrage story that had their message board parrots scrambling for the smelling salts and fainting couches?

Oh yea right, cause conservative parents surely can't think on their own, that be only a liberal who can do that..
you look like a parrot with this post of yours and don't even realize it..and I might say not a very bright one either.

Damocles
09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Bullshit. You can project all you like and pretend to know what I would do "if" but we know for sure what you would do when - you'd embrace the knuckleheads and give them a big wet kiss. As I said some time ago, for a guy that likes to pretend he has an independent streak you are a remarkably typical Republican.

The President is speaking to school children. It's a remarkably unremarkable thing for a head of state to do. The idea that giving out optional lesson plans for teachers and providing some activities for student is "a bit too far" is hysterical.

"Projection" seems to have become the newest means of faux argument, if you say somebody is "projecting" then you think you've made some salient point.

So far all you have done is defend what you would have attacked if the President had an R next to the name. Amazingly I would have joined with you in such an attack. I am stunned at the amount of hypocritical apologists we have who used to get upset if I didn't word my rebuke of Bush strongly enough.

I mentioned that the President speaking to children is unremarkable, because it is several different Presidents have done it. What is remarkable was the published lesson plans with aggrandizement for the current sitting President. I don't give a crap who the President is, making posters of how awesome the President is as a school assignment is always going to be wrong. Just the fact that they thought it was a good idea to provide these awesome "lesson plans" is enough to make any sane person who isn't a total apologist pause. It did with Socrtease.

The optional lesson plans were repugnant, and would have been to you as well if it didn't have a D next to the name it aggrandized.

We checked to find out whether anybody at our kids' schools were going to be following any of these "suggestions" because that would be reason to say, "Um... no. That is just a bit too far."

ZappasGuitar
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Many of us are, esp in red rural areas.
Just becuase we are not members of the KKK and such does not mean we are not rascist.
I admit to having prejudicial views about blacks.
I grew up in a rural area and did not see a live black person till I was about 16 or so.
I work on my issues though.
And no I will not go into details of what my prejudicial views are either.

You won't have to now. Allthe usual Rightie RaceBaiters will make up a whole slew of prejudices for you all on their own.

Canceled1
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Your side is so fucking bitter about losing that they are willing to have their children be used as pawns to disrespect the president of the united states.

And you are nothing short of hysterical. Get a grip on yourself.

I could give a shit about losing. What I care about is unhinged followers such as yourself are let loose on the streets.

Look in the mirror.

meme
09-07-2009, 01:08 PM
so now anyone who questions this Presidents motives is not only a Racist, but also bitter sore losers..

how bout that..:rolleyes:

Like a lot of the lefties who hated Bush and showed no RESPECT for him, yet we are beat down for even questioning this man and "VISIONS" for us...screw that.

Canceled2
09-07-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.ed.gov/teachers/how/lessons/prek-6.pdf pre k-6

http://www.ed.gov/teachers/how/lessons/7-12.pdf 7-12

So....

Mott the Hoople
09-07-2009, 04:16 PM

So....

What my mother in law said was the most interesting to me. Her school ALSO required kids to sign a permission slip to be able to sit in class and listen to the PRESIDENT OF THE FUCKING UNITED STATES. When Bush spoke, wasn't required. They just turned on the TV and let him speak. So... what I have deduced from all this is that we have allowed the Obama haters, the people that lost and how, to push this to the point that kids have to have PERMISSION to listen to the leader of the free world speak to them. Conservatives have SOOOOO mired this is their own losing politics, that kids can't just come into the class and listen. Good job right wingers. You all should be proud. This is a crowning moment in your whinning and sobbing over your party screwing things up so badly inside their own movement that parents have to approve of their kids listening to the president of the united states. Job well done!The far right in the Republican party is certainly distancing it self further and further from the American mainstream. Thats' for sure. Much ado about nothing.

uscitizen
09-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Who was Turd Ferguson anyway?

Damocles
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Who was Turd Ferguson anyway?
It's an SNL skit where they are spoofing "Celebrity Jeopardy"... Burt Reynolds is the guy they are spoofing on that one, he puts that his name is "Turd Ferguson" and wears the hat because he thinks it is funny.

BRUTALITOPS
09-07-2009, 05:56 PM

you know you're a mod too O_O

tinfoil
09-07-2009, 06:58 PM
You won't have to now. Allthe usual Rightie RaceBaiters will make up a whole slew of prejudices for you all on their own.

LOL

Socrtease
09-07-2009, 10:53 PM
you know you're a mod too O_OOh yeah! But at the time I couldn't remember the name of the original thread.

uscitizen
09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Well the speech is over I guess. Our children are now programmed into Socialists :shock:

This day will go down in history as the day America turned socialist :usflag:

meme
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Well the speech is over I guess. Our children are now programmed into Socialists :shock:

This day will go down in history as the day America turned socialist :usflag:

:rolleyes:

Jarod
09-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I can already feel the change, all of our school children are out joining the Communist party.

I can seen the senate hearings now,

"Mr. Jones, did you or did you not allow your children to listen to President Obama's speech to school children?"

"Mr. Jones, are you now or have you ever been a member of the Democratic party?"

SmarterthanYou
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
can we get to the commission hearings now? how many of those did they have after Bush spoke to kids on tv?

Jarod
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
can we get to the commission hearings now? how many of those did they have after Bush spoke to kids on tv?

None that I know of, if they did it was a stupid thing to do!

uscitizen
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Kenneth Starr cna head up the comission.

Socrtease
09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
None that I know of, if they did it was a stupid thing to do!They did and it was.

Cancel 2016.2
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM

So....

So the lesson plans posted on the Dept of Educations web site were simply not distributed to the teachers?

http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

I think for the most part the plans currently on there are decent enough. Though I do have a slight problem with the suggestion that the students read books on Obama.

Cancel 2016.2
09-08-2009, 12:47 PM

As long as the President is discussing the importance of education and is not discussing political ideology, I think it is a good thing for the students to be engaged by the President.

SmarterthanYou
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
They did and it was.

the stupidest one of them all was the rant about justifying spending 27k to beam this to the schools. Like the dems didn't blow that much money toasting corporate cronies.

Cancel 2016.2
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Like I pointed out on the other thread, the lesson plans on the gov website all said "might" meaning that they might want to do those things. That being the case they MIGHT also not want to do ANYTHING. This faux outrage was started by the AM radio morons and carried on into the public by their ever so enlightened listeners. Morons begat morons and too many otherwise clear thinking people got swept up in the stupidity. As I said above, all this has managed is to turn a presidential address to students, who should do nothing more than watch it with a respect that the position is entitled, into a political ploy in which poor loser repugnicans are going to either keep their children home or not allow them to watch the president. This is a great precident your side has created here. As I said earlier, well done.

yes... and if they HAD it would have crossed the line. Not to mention the almost laughable 'might'. Like the teachers union wasn't going to follow through? Sure some teachers might not have, but I would bet the farm the bulk would have done just as Saint Obama requested.

Cancel 2016.2
09-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Oh yeah! But at the time I couldn't remember the name of the original thread.

Senility setting in? :cool:

uscitizen
09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Senility setting in? :cool:

It happens to even non republicans.

christiefan915
09-08-2009, 06:50 PM

What's hilarious is your thinking that 95% of the kids who sat through this speech, snoring, whispering or texting, will remember even two consecutive sentences of it by this time tomorrow. :rolleyes:

meme
09-08-2009, 07:41 PM
What's hilarious is your thinking that 95% of the kids who sat through this speech, snoring, whispering or texting, will remember even two consecutive sentences of it by this time tomorrow. :rolleyes:

well after I read the thing I'd have to agree with ya on that..

Good Luck
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
It would seem different school districts in different areas treated the issue - well - differently. My son's children brought home announcements of the event, but that ius standard district policy for any guest speaker. (which is what they called the Presidential address). There was a form to opt children out of the event, which is also district policy for guest speakers, as well as quite the opposite of signing a permission form.

However, as for the lesson plans, they were literally taken straight off the government's website. My son and I discussed the matter at length, read the text of the speech in advance, and read through the proposed lesson plans. My son's decision for his children was to allow his oldest son in middle school to participate, but requested the younger elementary children be given alternate activities. He felt, and I agree, that HS and even middle school is OK for such addresses, but pushing it down to grade school is too much.

That being said, I personally strongly disagree with the idea of even suggesting lesson plans to go with a presidential address in the public education system. While the address given was pretty much innocuous, getting used to such activities only begs for abuse. Members of the federal government, to include the president, have no business in the schools - unless specifically invited as guest speaker. And if they are invited, let them limit their remarks to the school(s) that actually invite them.

And leave any proposed, "suggested" or otherwise lesson plans to the teachers.