PDA

View Full Version : College Football is the greatest!

WinterBorn
09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Tomorrow begins the college football season! (I know a few games have already been played)

There are some here who might disagree with my claim that college football is the greatest team sport. But Topper, CA, Mott and some others will agree with me.

Tuscaloosa is at a fever pitch and everywhere you look you see Crimson & White. My standard preseason ritual of watch the pre-game videos are going strong.

Its the same everywhere college football is king. The traditions that make chills run down our spines. Seeing Bear on the Jumbotron at Bryant-Denny. The LSU fans get the same from the smells of gumbo and "Geaux Tigers" plastered everywhere. The Trojans have the videos during their pre-game festivities. The Buckeyes do as well. And I am sure seeing them "Dot the 'I'" does for Mott what seeing Al on the sidelines does for me.

The pregame video has old shots of leather-helmeted heroes from the past, Joe Namath trying to run on bad knees, Derrick Thomas blowing passed the blockers to nail an RB in the backfield, Cornelius Bennett hitting the Notre Dame QB so hard he left the game, Shaun Alexander scoring in overtime against FL, Van Tiffin hitting a 52 yard field goal with 8 seconds on the clock to beat auburn, and George Teague running down the Miami receiver and taking the ball away from him in the '92 Championship game. But hearing Bear speak about committment and excellence while we see the '79 Sugarbowl and that amazing goal line stand to win the Championship takes my breath away everytime.

To see that video in the stadium with 60,000 of my brothers & sisters is the greatest.

Roll Tide! Let the season begin!!

Tailgating, screaming ourselves hourse, and pleading with the football gods to let us win or comeback.

Minister of Truth
09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Baseball is the greatest team sport. That said, I have just one more thing to say that will be hated even more than my pro-baseball comment:

GOOOO IRISH!!!!

WinterBorn
09-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Baseball is the greatest team sport. That said, I have just one more thing to say that will be hated even more than my pro-baseball comment:

GOOOO IRISH!!!!

Go Irish? Has anyone sucked as bad as the irish have recently?

Minister of Truth
09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Go Irish? Has anyone sucked as bad as the irish have recently?

Hey, when I was a kid, they were an unstoppable force. I'm just going to pretend that nothing has changed since then. Hell, I literally had a retired neighbor that I used to go and pester/talk to that told me he didn't like to watch ND play because he knew what the outcome would be and where's the fun in that?

:foil:

Anyway, I'm still pissed at Weis for losing that Navy game a short while back.

WinterBorn
09-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey, when I was a kid, they were an unstoppable force. I'm just going to pretend that nothing has changed since then. Hell, I literally had a retired neighbor that I used to go and pester/talk to that told me he didn't like to watch ND play because he knew what the outcome would be and where's the fun in that?

The pre-game video that I talked about earlier has a play from the last time Bama played ND. Its been a play that Bama fans have loved for 23 years. Steve Beuerlein was a 5th year senior and Cornelius Bennett nailed him to the turf. Beuerlein's comment after the game was that he had never been hit that hard in all his time playing football.

He even owns one of the Daniel Moore prints immortalizing the play.

http://www.newlifeart.com/detail_pencil/Daniel_A__Moore/Alabama/The_Sack/the_sack.html

Minister of Truth
09-05-2009, 12:43 PM
The pre-game video that I talked about earlier has a play from the last time Bama played ND. Its been a play that Bama fans have loved for 23 years. Steve Beuerlein was a 5th year senior and Cornelius Bennett nailed him to the turf. Beuerlein's comment after the game was that he had never been hit that hard in all his time playing football.

He even owns one of the Daniel Moore prints immortalizing the play.

http://www.newlifeart.com/detail_pencil/Daniel_A__Moore/Alabama/The_Sack/the_sack.html

LOL That's neat that he owns one of them. Now, why did Bama's victory have to come in my birth-year, for goodness sake?

:clink:

WinterBorn
09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
LOL That's neat that he owns one of them. Now, why did Bama's victory have to come in my birth-year, for goodness sake?

:clink:

It is pretty cool that he owns one.

YouTube - Cornelius Bennett: "The Sack"

That is the play I was talking about.

Minister of Truth
09-05-2009, 06:14 PM
:woot:

Notre Dame over Nevada 35-0. Too bad our offense shut down in the second half, otherwise we could have reached the 50's, giving Tenn. a run for its money in that 63-3 blowout over WKU. I'm lovin' the ND running backs. Defense basically got lucky much of the time, so they could use some improvement...

Mott's Buckeye's managed to squeak by Navy, so Top will probably be giving him shit about that...

WinterBorn
09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

Defense looked great! Offense looked solid. Killer running game and a QB that will be better as his game matures.

Kudos to VaTech. Their defense was swarming.

WinterBorn
09-05-2009, 10:08 PM

Notre Dame over Nevada 35-0. Too bad our offense shut down in the second half, otherwise we could have reached the 50's, giving Tenn. a run for its money in that 63-3 blowout over WKU. I'm lovin' the ND running backs. Defense basically got lucky much of the time, so they could use some improvement...

Mott's Buckeye's managed to squeak by Navy, so Top will probably be giving him shit about that...

Unless the 2nd half is a blowout, Top won't have much to say. His LSU Tigers have their hands full against the only team in the country that didn't win a single game last year.

LSU just went up 17 - 10.

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Tomorrow begins the college football season! (I know a few games have already been played)

There are some here who might disagree with my claim that college football is the greatest team sport. But Topper, CA, Mott and some others will agree with me.

Tuscaloosa is at a fever pitch and everywhere you look you see Crimson & White. My standard preseason ritual of watch the pre-game videos are going strong.

Its the same everywhere college football is king. The traditions that make chills run down our spines. Seeing Bear on the Jumbotron at Bryant-Denny. The LSU fans get the same from the smells of gumbo and "Geaux Tigers" plastered everywhere. The Trojans have the videos during their pre-game festivities. The Buckeyes do as well. And I am sure seeing them "Dot the 'I'" does for Mott what seeing Al on the sidelines does for me.

The pregame video has old shots of leather-helmeted heroes from the past, Joe Namath trying to run on bad knees, Derrick Thomas blowing passed the blockers to nail an RB in the backfield, Cornelius Bennett hitting the Notre Dame QB so hard he left the game, Shaun Alexander scoring in overtime against FL, Van Tiffin hitting a 52 yard field goal with 8 seconds on the clock to beat auburn, and George Teague running down the Miami receiver and taking the ball away from him in the '92 Championship game. But hearing Bear speak about committment and excellence while we see the '79 Sugarbowl and that amazing goal line stand to win the Championship takes my breath away everytime.

To see that video in the stadium with 60,000 of my brothers & sisters is the greatest.

Roll Tide! Let the season begin!!

Tailgating, screaming ourselves hourse, and pleading with the football gods to let us win or comeback.
Sorry, I can't agree (no surprise there! LOL) I love college football for all the reasons you state, the traditions, State pride, the passion but when it comes to teams sports Football will always, ALWAYS, take a back seat to the precision and beauty, artistry and history of Baseball.

I have a lot of fond memories of the Buckeyes, love them dearly but my fondest sports memories are of the 1975 world series.

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 07:19 AM

GOOOO IRISH!!!!I agree with you. Basball is certainly the greatest team sport. I'm still going to neg rep you for the go irish shit.

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Go Irish? Has anyone sucked as bad as the irish have recently?What you talking about? They just dominated Sister Mary's School for Quadrapalegics yesterday!

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 07:23 AM

Why would you be pissed about that? Navy's a better team. Navy's probably the most underated team in the nation. I bet they end up with 9 wins this year which will probably be better than the Irish records even with their weak schedule.

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Mott's Buckeye's managed to squeak by Navy, so Top will probably be giving him shit about that...Why would he do that? We beat a better team then Notre Dame. You'll find that out when they beat Notre Dame. I don't think that's going to shock anyone. Heck, other than Ohio State, Navy has 3 other teams that are better than Notre Dame to play. Louisiana Tech, Wake Forest and Hawaii. By the end of October ND will probably have 4 losses. There's a good chance they'll get swept against all 3 Big Ten opponents. They might get by Michigan State. USC will spank them. I wouldn't be surprised, even with their weak schedule, to see ND to have only 6 wins. Maybe 7 if their lucky.

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 08:37 AM
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

Defense looked great! Offense looked solid. Killer running game and a QB that will be better as his game matures.

Kudos to VaTech. Their defense was swarming.It was a good start for Bama. They probably should have stomped VaTech worse then they did. Saban was certainly the best player on the VaTech team. He's so anal conservative and predictable in his playing calling and that helped keep VaTech in the first half of the game. Watch out for Arkansas and Ole Miss. Petrino and Nutt (and Urban Meyers of course) are the kind of dynamic coaches that give Saban fits.

Bama looks comparable to my Buckeyes this year. Top 5 material but probably not national champ material. I'll find out next week how good my Buckeyes are when they play USC. Michigan is probably going to surprise a lot of people this year. They had better. If they lose to OSU, PSU and ND Richie boy will be in real hot water.

WinterBorn
09-06-2009, 10:31 AM
It was a good start for Bama. They probably should have stomped VaTech worse then they did. Saban was certainly the best player on the VaTech team. He's so anal conservative and predictable in his playing calling and that helped keep VaTech in the first half of the game. Watch out for Arkansas and Ole Miss. Petrino and Nutt (and Urban Meyers of course) are the kind of dynamic coaches that give Saban fits.

Bama looks comparable to my Buckeyes this year. Top 5 material but probably not national champ material. I'll find out next week how good my Buckeyes are when they play USC. Michigan is probably going to surprise a lot of people this year. They had better. If they lose to OSU, PSU and ND Richie boy will be in real hot water.

Bama made so many stupid mistakes last night it is scary. We dominated VaTech much more than the score shows. But we kept handing them opportunities.

Minister of Truth
09-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Sorry, I can't agree (no surprise there! LOL) I love college football for all the reasons you state, the traditions, State pride, the passion but when it comes to teams sports Football will always, ALWAYS, take a back seat to the precision and beauty, artistry and history of Baseball.

I have a lot of fond memories of the Buckeyes, love them dearly but my fondest sports memories are of the 1975 world series.

For me, I will always remember following the Blue Jays in their 1993 World Series victory. Particularly Joe Carter's 3-run homerun to clinch it. I don't think its any accident that my elementary school (Brookside) voted to adopt the Blue Jay as its new mascot that fall, other than that its a "b" name...

As for football, I assume you are aware that Notre Dame had a 40+ year streak going of never losing to Navy. In that game, Weis called some really shitty plays at the end, which prevented ND from taking the lead, brought the game to triple overtime, and resulted in Navy eventually winning.

And, yeah, I guess Navy has a good team this year, if the first game is any indication.

Mott the Hoople
09-06-2009, 10:13 PM
For me, I will always remember following the Blue Jays in their 1993 World Series victory. Particularly Joe Carter's 3-run homerun to clinch it. I don't think its any accident that my elementary school (Brookside) voted to adopt the Blue Jay as its new mascot that fall, other than that its a "b" name...

As for football, I assume you are aware that Notre Dame had a 40+ year streak going of never losing to Navy. In that game, Weis called some really shitty plays at the end, which prevented ND from taking the lead, brought the game to triple overtime, and resulted in Navy eventually winning.

And, yeah, I guess Navy has a good team this year, if the first game is any indication.
They look better than ND.

WinterBorn
09-07-2009, 03:15 AM
I enjoyed playing baseball in Little League. But I can't get into it as a spectator sport. I don't know another sport that can have as much time where nothing happens.

And homeruns are a score for which there is no real defense.

I am a hardcore defensive football fan. I played in high school and would love to have been good enough to play in college.

Buffalo Soldier
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Baseball is for metro-sexuals.
Great first wk of fb. Sucks to be Oklahoma fan right now.

WinterBorn
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Baseball is for metro-sexuals.
Great first wk of fb. Sucks to be Oklahoma fan right now.

I agree. That injury cost them a shot at the title. Either that or it prevented them from being embarrased by FL Gators again.

Mott the Hoople
09-08-2009, 04:55 AM
I enjoyed playing baseball in Little League. But I can't get into it as a spectator sport. I don't know another sport that can have as much time where nothing happens.

And homeruns are a score for which there is no real defense.

I am a hardcore defensive football fan. I played in high school and would love to have been good enough to play in college.Uh, yea there is. IT's called a strike out. LOL

WinterBorn
09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Uh, yea there is. IT's called a strike out. LOL

I guess that is almost a defense for the homerun.

It is still too slow a game for me. Or maybe I just don't have a dog in that hunt.