PDA

View Full Version : APP - A hard question...!

Jarod
08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
When a person with limited means is facing an expensive medical procedure that will save his life....

Who should decide if he gets that procedure?

charver
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
In America - an insurance company death panel

In Europe - a government death panel

In an ideal world - a publicly quoted company death panel with government oversight.

Jarod
08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I perfer a Government "death panel" over a profit hungry "insurance company"!

WinterBorn
08-25-2009, 08:26 AM

Have you ever dealt with the Social Security office? Their standard response to any request for disability or payments is to deny it at least once. I actually had a caseworker tell a member of my family that they are told to deny everything. Then this same caseworker made the remark that they thought my relative would die before his case would get thru all the channels.

Profit hungry is better. At least they can use the charity to lower their taxes or for PR. The gov't doesn't care at all.

Jarod
08-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Have you ever dealt with the Social Security office? Their standard response to any request for disability or payments is to deny it at least once. I actually had a caseworker tell a member of my family that they are told to deny everything. Then this same caseworker made the remark that they thought my relative would die before his case would get thru all the channels.

Profit hungry is better. At least they can use the charity to lower their taxes or for PR. The gov't doesn't care at all.

That is true about SSDisability, I have never heard of a case being approved the first time up.

PostmodernProphet
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
No one....six free nights at the local Hospice, one free ticket to the Make a Wish Foundation fund raiser and if he can walk out on his own two legs he gets a stuffed plushie.....

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
When a person with limited means is facing an expensive medical procedure that will save his life....

The person in question will have to decide if the procedure/their life is worth giving up his home and or any wealth he might have.
Or just decide to die so the surviving spouse will have a home to live in.

Jarod
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I love how conservatives avoid this thread.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 02:58 PM

Who should decide if he gets that procedure? Apparently he is by not walking into a hospital emergency room, getting treated and filing for medicaid. *shrug*

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Apparently he is by not walking into a hospital emergency room, getting treated and filing for medicaid. *shrug*

And the limitations on who can get medicaid are?

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
And the limitations on who can get medicaid are?Which are?

cawacko
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM

why would you prefer the government?

belme1201
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Are you discussing money from SS for disabillity or a decision to be made in a life threatening situation? There is a difference.
Have you tried collecting on a private disability policy or Workman's Comp for comparison?
With an emergency health situation there may be no second try.

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
If all you need is Medicaid, why are medical costs the number one reason for personal bankruptcy?

belme1201
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

I would say, with the knowledge that the person employed to make those decisions in the private sector is being paid based on the volume of his rejections, I would prefer the government.

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I would say, with the knowledge that the person employed to make those decisions in the private sector is being paid based on the volume of his rejections, I would prefer the government.

The government is officially at least supposed to look out for us. The corporate employee's job is to maximize his employers profit.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
If all you need is Medicaid, why are medical costs the number one reason for personal bankruptcy?Are you going to answer my question?

belme1201
08-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Which are?

Basically, if you've got a pot to pee in, you don't qualify.

Annie
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM

Oh I know, I know, waving hand widely! The government! They care about me!

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Are you going to answer my question?

I went to a few sites and they do not seem to tell you. Just want you to sign up and see if you qualify. But states are different.

I know from experience of others if you have anything you have to get rid if it first. And for a single middle aged male to get it is nearly impossible. You must be around the poverty income limit and not own a home, etc. The value of one auto is figured in. Pregnant women and children first.
A friend has been trying to get on it for a long time. He has diabetes bad too.

It is much easier to qualify for food stamps.

belme1201
08-25-2009, 08:47 PM

Oh I know, waving hand 'wildly'! The for-profit insurance companies! They care about me!

Ho hum.

Annie
08-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh I know, waving hand 'wildly'! The for-profit insurance companies! They care about me!

Ho hum.

:dunno: Are you implying that it doesn't? I thought it, meaning the government was all about me?

SWFover50. Makes less than 40K, but has 3 bachelor degrees and a masters. Why no licks?

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
:dunno: Are you implying that it doesn't? I thought it, meaning the government was all about me?

SWFover50. Makes less than 40K, but has 3 bachelor degrees and a masters. Why no licks?

if that is you? you can forget any help from the government.

belme1201
08-26-2009, 01:04 AM

?

Jarod
08-26-2009, 06:43 AM

Because the motive is not profit and because we can vote to remove/replace people in government.

Jarod
08-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Because the motive is not profit and because we can vote to remove/replace people in government.

Why would you perfer the insurance companies?

DamnYankee
08-26-2009, 06:51 AM
I went to a few sites and they do not seem to tell you. Just want you to sign up and see if you qualify. But states are different.

I know from experience of others if you have anything you have to get rid if it first. And for a single middle aged male to get it is nearly impossible. You must be around the poverty income limit and not own a home, etc. The value of one auto is figured in. Pregnant women and children first.
A friend has been trying to get on it for a long time. He has diabetes bad too.

It is much easier to qualify for food stamps.
Basically, if you've got a pot to pee in, you don't qualify.The answer isn't this long and convoluted. If you're poor enough, you qualify.

Folks take a gamble by not buying heath insurance, and by losing that gamble, they lose their money before the government kicks in and saves their gambling ass from the grave.

It's a safety net, not a hammock.

Canceled1
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
It's a safety net, not a hammock.

This sir is a BEAUT! :cof1:

Cancel5
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM

His doctor, and himself, herself...

TuTu Monroe
08-26-2009, 11:04 PM

:D Yes, they certainly do. They want to control our lives.

uscitizen
08-26-2009, 11:16 PM
:D Yes, they certainly do. They want to control our lives.

Close, it is actually corporations thru our gummit that want to control our lives. There is profit in that.

Jarod
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
His doctor, and himself, herself...

Okay, I agree, but then who will pay for it when those decision makers decide that the patient should have the surgery?

Jarod
08-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Why would you perfer the insurance companies?