PDA

View Full Version : APP - N1H1 - why is this a big deal?

Jarod
08-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I have heard that the N1H1 flu is not really any worse than a regular flu.... Infact some reputable sources have told me its not as bad as a regular flu.

Why the hype? What is it about this flu that sets it apart from other flu's?

Damocles
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
They need a manufactured "crisis" in order to pass legislation that otherwise would never pass.

Jarod
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
They need a manufactured "crisis" in order to pass legislation that otherwise would never pass.

Do you belive this is about the healthcare bill?

Damocles
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Do you belive this is about the healthcare bill?
Yes. I believe that the crisis is largely exaggerated and they hoped that they would be able to pass legislation without any discussion first. It is why they pressed that it pass before recess.

While I think we have something we need to fix, I do not believe that it needs to be fixed by foolish legislation passed in the dead of night with no discussion, this will effect 1/6th of our economy, this needs full discussion and no rush to pass poor legislation.

uscitizen
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
It has nothing at all to do with buying large amounts of vaccine with tax dollars.

This is a media frenzy similar to Kahoutek.

Jarod
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes. I believe that the crisis is largely exaggerated and they hoped that they would be able to pass legislation without any discussion first. It is why they pressed that it pass before recess.

While I think we have something we need to fix, I do not believe that it needs to be fixed by foolish legislation passed in the dead of night with no discussion, this will effect 1/6th of our economy, this needs full discussion and no rush to pass poor legislation.

Who do you belive exaggerated the "crisis"?

DamnYankee
08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Who do you belive exaggerated the "crisis"? The State controlled media. *shrug*

Damocles
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Who do you belive exaggerated the "crisis"?
Who do you think wants to pass legislation that takes a good portion of 1/6th of our economy and places it into the hands of the government? Who do you think has professed a wish that this would be the first step towards a single-payer system implemented here in the US?

Damocles
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
The State controlled media. *shrug*
A willing tool in the tool-box of politicians.

SmarterthanYou
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM

and the UN

FUCK THE POLICE
08-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I have heard that the N1H1 flu is not really any worse than a regular flu.... Infact some reputable sources have told me its not as bad as a regular flu.

It's a different strain that looked like it had the possibility to be deadly.

Not as bad as the regular flu would still be bad. The flu kills 30k Americans every year.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-24-2009, 06:54 PM

You know very well that if this legislation isn't passed, nothing is going to happen on this front for at least a generation.

uscitizen
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM

And it was not state controlled when Bush was president?

Minister of Truth
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey, we're not talking AIDS here!! Its not the end of the world.

DamnYankee
08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
And it was not state controlled when Bush was president?You're on crack.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey, we're not talking AIDS here!! Its not the end of the world.

Flu kills more people than AIDS... in the US, at least.

uscitizen
08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Flu kills more people than AIDS... in the US, at least.

so does automobiles, DUI, obesity, smoking, alcohol and drug abuse.

DamnYankee
08-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Flu kills more people than AIDS... in the US, at least. But AIDs is mostly preventable- avoid sex with perverts.

uscitizen
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
But AIDs is mostly preventable- avoid sex with perverts.

but, but Republicans need love too.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 06:19 AM
That's not really a problem though. *shrug*

Jarod
08-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Who do you think wants to pass legislation that takes a good portion of 1/6th of our economy and places it into the hands of the government? Who do you think has professed a wish that this would be the first step towards a single-payer system implemented here in the US?

Me? No I did not do it!

Jarod
08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Damo,

Do you seriously belive Obama sat down and manufactured the pig flu hype?

Damocles
08-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Damo,

Do you seriously belive Obama sat down and manufactured the pig flu hype?
I think that he took advantage and helped to exaggerate a "crisis" out of a regular flu bug.

Rahm Emanuel is on the record saying to, "Never let a good crisis go unused" (paraphrasing). In order to make this a "crisis" that people got nervous about they used the power of the government. While they didn't make the flu, they created the "crisis" from what was at hand.

Jarod
08-25-2009, 07:58 AM
I think that he took advantage and helped to exaggerate a "crisis" out of a regular flu bug.

Rahm Emanuel is on the record saying to, "Never let a good crisis go unused" (paraphrasing). In order to make this a "crisis" that people got nervous about they used the power of the government. While they didn't make the flu, they created the "crisis" from what was at hand.

You may be right, and if thats true, its terrable. Its almost as bad as hyping a terrorist threat as a way to scare people into voting for you.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 08:03 AM
LOL "I accuse Bush of doing it to".

Jarod
08-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Id say they are both bad, but using 9-11 to scare people and hyping a security threat just after 9-11 and just prior to an election is a hair worse.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 08:16 AM
That's merely an unproven accusation, silly man. :pke:

Jarod
08-25-2009, 08:30 AM
That's merely an unproven accusation, silly man. :pke:

True, just like the charge that Obama did this with the H1N1.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 08:35 AM
True, just like the charge that Obama did this with the H1N1. Doooood, Wrong Emmanuel stated your side's tactic.

Jarod
08-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Doooood, Wrong Emmanuel stated your side's tactic.

1) Not my side's tactic, his tactic.

2) That does not mean he used that tactic in this insticance.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
1) Not my side's tactic, his tactic.

2) That does not mean he used that tactic in this insticance. Dooood, he's Chief of Staff and has used this tactic whenever he thought he could get away with it. Besides, its a Democrat Party staple; Emmanuel was simply the most recent to publicly acknowledge it.

Jarod
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Dooood, he's Chief of Staff and has used this tactic whenever he thought he could get away with it. Besides, its a Democrat Party staple; Emmanuel was simply the most recent to publicly acknowledge it.

Its a political staple of the Republican and Democratic part.

The Repugs were just the ones who have used it in the most dispicable way lately.

Thorn
08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
It's a different strain that looked like it had the possibility to be deadly.

Not as bad as the regular flu would still be bad. The flu kills 30k Americans every year.

I read this morning that it's possible that there could be 90k deaths from this flu in the US. I don't know if it's an accurate or semi-accurate prediction or not; too many factors depend on the actual spread and virlulence of the disease.

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
One good benefit from the hype so far. Several schools in KY have closed for several days becuase of flu outbreaks. This instead of making kids come in and get the flu.

Actually public schools disease sharing is one legitimate reason for public helathcare.
If the govt makes us place our children in a disease spreading environment then they are responsible for at least some of the consequences.

Thorn
08-25-2009, 10:22 AM
One good benefit from the hype so far. Several schools in KY have closed for several days becuase of flu outbreaks. This instead of making kids come in and get the flu.

Actually public schools disease sharing is one legitimate reason for public helathcare.
If the govt makes us place our children in a disease spreading environment then they are responsible for at least some of the consequences.

I wholly encourage this! I read a few days ago on CNN, I think, that people were being told to send their kids to school even in the midst of a massive flu outbreak. If I had kids I'd be inclined to disregard that order and keep them home. I have a big problem with people who go out in public knowing that they're ill with a highly contagious disease. If they want to disregard the dangers to themselves that's one thing, but don't play games with other people's health!

evince
08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I think all schools should start to do a half independent study program starting in Jr high.

They should be home reading up and writing papers say two days a week of the school week.

Schools could rotate the days so that fewer kids per instructor would be the norm in classes.

As they age you could up the days at home studying.

Less time to catch the flu, smaller class sizes, more independent minded kids who know how to obtain the information they need to perform the tasks in class, fewer tax dollars spent on security in schools, Fewer tax dollars going to administrators.

Its time we think out of the box to use the resources we have to get our kids learning

Thorn
08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I think all schools should start to do a half independent study program starting in Jr high.

They should be home reading up and writing papers say two days a week of the school week.

Schools could rotate the days so that fewer kids per instructor would be the norm in classes.

As they age you could up the days at home studying.

Less time to catch the flu, smaller class sizes, more independent minded kids who know how to obtain the information they need to perform the tasks in class, fewer tax dollars spent on security in schools, Fewer tax dollars going to administrators.

Its time we think out of the box to use the resources we have to get our kids learning

Good thoughts, but the greatest impediment to this is that many if not most families have working parents and nobody is at home to supervise. I don't have a lot of confidence that the majority of kids on their own will stick to a study schedule like that.

This of course is the same problem with my suggestion about keeping them away from school during a flu epidemic.

The other major problem is that too many parents simply aren't qualified to oversee and instruct a child in the subjects that are being taught.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Its a political staple of the Republican and Democratic part.

The Repugs were just the ones who have used it in the most dispicable way lately.
Sure; and Bush was fiscally conservative. *shrug*

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I wholly encourage this! I read a few days ago on CNN, I think, that people were being told to send their kids to school even in the midst of a massive flu outbreak. If I had kids I'd be inclined to disregard that order and keep them home. I have a big problem with people who go out in public knowing that they're ill with a highly contagious disease. If they want to disregard the dangers to themselves that's one thing, but don't play games with other people's health!

Here you have to have a DR excuse for all absences. Pretty rediculous and a hassle and costly and a burden for the healthcare industry, but more money for them as well.
Red state crap.

cawacko
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Good thoughts, but the greatest impediment to this is that many if not most families have working parents and nobody is at home to supervise. I don't have a lot of confidence that the majority of kids on their own will stick to a study schedule like that.

This of course is the same problem with my suggestion about keeping them away from school during a flu epidemic.

The other major problem is that too many parents simply aren't qualified to oversee and instruct a child in the subjects that are being taught.

Thorn what do you think of the idea of kids staying in school longer and having less summer vacation such as the KIPP schools do in the U.S. and the schools in most Asian countries do?

Thorn
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Thorn what do you think of the idea of kids staying in school longer and having less summer vacation such as the KIPP schools do in the U.S. and the schools in most Asian countries do?

Our current system was devised around an agricultural society, and children were needed to help on the farms during summer, the growing seasons. The extended leisure time they now enjoy has its benefits, providing forms of personal growth that simply isn't available in the classroom. I'd advocate keeping at least a part of that, perhaps a substantial part. This time also provides teachers time to regroup and pursue activities that they'd never be able to do during the school year. For instance, when I was at NIH, we had a program where science teachers could come in during the summer and work in some of the labs. It was invaluable for them as they could take what they'd learned, including the principles of scientific inquiry, back into the classroom. Often those teachers would bring their classes on a field trip for a couple of hours during the school term. They'd not have had the contacts or the opportunity to do so otherwise.

We do need breaks from the structured form of learning in classrooms, just to let the information digest, to think about what we're learning and come up with new ideas and questions about that. I think that the school system we have currently, by and large does not address this need. Perhaps shorter breaks would provide those times without ideas becoming lost in a longer hiatus from study. Kids should be encouraged to ask questions (I certainly did!) and come up with their own ideas based on their observations. At the same time they need some extended downtime to pursue other activities that will provide growth that the structured classroom cannot give.

cawacko
08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Our current system was devised around an agricultural society, and children were needed to help on the farms during summer, the growing seasons. The extended leisure time they now enjoy has its benefits, providing forms of personal growth that simply isn't available in the classroom. I'd advocate keeping at least a part of that, perhaps a substantial part. This time also provides teachers time to regroup and pursue activities that they'd never be able to do during the school year. For instance, when I was at NIH, we had a program where science teachers could come in during the summer and work in some of the labs. It was invaluable for them as they could take what they'd learned, including the principles of scientific inquiry, back into the classroom. Often those teachers would bring their classes on a field trip for a couple of hours during the school term. They'd not have had the contacts or the opportunity to do so otherwise.

We do need breaks from the structured form of learning in classrooms, just to let the information digest, to think about what we're learning and come up with new ideas and questions about that. I think that the school system we have currently, by and large does not address this need. Perhaps shorter breaks would provide those times without ideas becoming lost in a longer hiatus from study. Kids should be encouraged to ask questions (I certainly did!) and come up with their own ideas based on their observations. At the same time they need some extended downtime to pursue other activities that will provide growth that the structured classroom cannot give.

Yesterday I just finished reading Outliers by Malcom Gladwell and that's why its on the brain. So he argues that the difference between school (test) performance between poor and rich kids is the time away from school. For example those from well to do families can afford to send their kids to various summer camps where kids can learn and have books around the house for kids to read etc. Take a poor(er) kid who family can't afford to send them to any type of summer camp, doesn't really have books around the home. The kid just hangs out and watches TV. That exaserbates (sp) the divide between the kids.

What do you think of his theory?

Cancel5
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Yesterday I just finished reading Outliers by Malcom Gladwell and that's why its on the brain. So he argues that the difference between school (test) performance between poor and rich kids is the time away from school. For example those from well to do families can afford to send their kids to various summer camps where kids can learn and have books around the house for kids to read etc. Take a poor(er) kid who family can't afford to send them to any type of summer camp, doesn't really have books around the home. The kid just hangs out and watches TV. That exaserbates (sp) the divide between the kids.

I think we went to the library. Played at the neighbors and on the school grounds near us.

I know it is tough getting kids to go to the library, but we were made to go. My mother did not drive. We walked, caught a ride or rode our bikes.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Rahm Emanuel is on the record saying to, "Never let a good crisis go unused" (paraphrasing).

He was just joking.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-25-2009, 03:09 PM
In order to make this a "crisis" that people got nervous about they used the power of the government. While they didn't make the flu, they created the "crisis" from what was at hand.

You are getting to conspiracy theory type thinking here. The media mostly talked about N1H1. I haven't heard Obama talk about it at all.

There is just nothing in your mind too terrible for Obama to not have done.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Doooood, Wrong Emmanuel stated your side's tactic.

1. He was joking about a real thing that politicians do all the time.

2. It's every sides tactics. 9/11.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM

Parents are rich because they have work ethic, and they instill those values on their kids; poor parents, not so much. Camps and books have almost nothing to do with it.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
I read this morning that it's possible that there could be 90k deaths from this flu in the US. I don't know if it's an accurate or semi-accurate prediction or not; too many factors depend on the actual spread and virlulence of the disease.

Hopefully the estimation is way off.

Thorn
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Yesterday I just finished reading Outliers by Malcom Gladwell and that's why its on the brain. So he argues that the difference between school (test) performance between poor and rich kids is the time away from school. For example those from well to do families can afford to send their kids to various summer camps where kids can learn and have books around the house for kids to read etc. Take a poor(er) kid who family can't afford to send them to any type of summer camp, doesn't really have books around the home. The kid just hangs out and watches TV. That exacerbates (sp) the divide between the kids.

There's something to it. I'm hazy on the details, but there was a recent study, reported in the news a couple of weeks ago, showing the negative effects that too much TV and video games are having on kids' learning abilities. I didn't see anything in the article that looked at this specifically, but my first thought was that TV and video games both are just too passive and too remote from the children's lives to have any real meaning or challenge. It may also be that kids in poorer families have no parent at home during the day, so the TV becomes a sitter/companion and there's no interaction. As to books, if the parents don't value reading they're unlikely to encourage it in their children and won't be providing an example by reading themselves.

I'd agree that discrepancies between the two groups of children would likely be widened in such a scenario. Community organizations that provide activities are generally run by volunteers and aren't open/available all day every day, so although that may be helpful it isn't an answer beyond what they can provide.

SmarterthanYou
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Hopefully the estimation is way off.

seriously, because there are more than 90k liberals on this earth.

cawacko
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Parents are rich because they have work ethic, and they instill those values on their kids; poor parents, not so much. Camps and books have almost nothing to do with it.

The suggestion was keeping kids in school longer. An example is the KIPP program which operates across various inner-cities in the U.S. where the students all come from low income families, many with a single parent, and a large majority of the kids from the KIPP middle school programs eventually go on to college. The KIPP schools have longer hours than most public schools, have to come in on Saturdays and have shorter summer breaks. These kids have to work hard. It is a great model.

Thorn
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
The suggestion was keeping kids in school longer. An example is the KIPP program which operates across various inner-cities in the U.S. where the students all come from low income families, many with a single parent, and a large majority of the kids from the KIPP middle school programs eventually go on to college. The KIPP schools have longer hours than most public schools, have to come in on Saturdays and have shorter summer breaks. These kids have to work hard. It is a great model.

It sounds like it.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-25-2009, 03:17 PM

I think an ideal* schooling situation would be one where each kid could work on each major idea in the class at their own time. They would advance when they could complete a randomized test on the concept with an A or B. Kids who are smarter could advance faster, and completing the courses really fast and getting up to the advanced subjects during the time at school would be the hallmark of a smart kid, rather than having a 3.5 or higher GPA (which honestly anyone can do easily if they just spend enough time studying, which is why we have such massive grade inflation).

But such an individualized study system would be expensive and difficult to manage.

*"ideal" in this context meaning something I pulled out of my ass one day.

DamnYankee
08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
The suggestion was keeping kids in school longer. An example is the KIPP program which operates across various inner-cities in the U.S. where the students all come from low income families, many with a single parent, and a large majority of the kids from the KIPP middle school programs eventually go on to college. The KIPP schools have longer hours than most public schools, have to come in on Saturdays and have shorter summer breaks. These kids have to work hard. It is a great model. We have a similar program here. When the parents are failures it can help their kids.

Thorn
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I think an ideal* schooling situation would be one where each kid could work on each major idea in the class at their own time. They would advance when they could complete a randomized test on the concept with an A or B. Kids who are smarter could advance faster, and completing the courses really fast and getting up to the advanced subjects during the time at school would be the hallmark of a smart kid, rather than having a 3.5 or higher GPA (which honestly anyone can do easily if they just spend enough time studying, which is why we have such massive grade inflation).

But such an individualized study system would be expensive and difficult to manage.

*"ideal" in this context meaning something I pulled out of my ass one day.

Some kids would thrive in such a system, it's true. But as you've pointed out, the logistics in a public school system would be daunting at best, and realistically insurmountable given the resources available.

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Some kids would thrive in such a system, it's true. But as you've pointed out, the logistics in a public school system would be daunting at best, and realistically insurmountable given the resources available.

imho the larger the school the poorer the education.
This concept would work best in smaller schools.
Mass produced eudcation sucks. One size does not fit all. I excelled in a small environment and was double promoted. Who else here can say that truthfully?
My education went downhill once I got pulled into the larger consolidated school.

Damocles
08-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Geebus... We don't need to rotate classes to protect people. Why should we do anything differently than we do for any other flu bug? This one is no worse than any normal flu bug.

uscitizen
08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
We should always work to minimize the spread of all diseases thru our schools.

Damocles
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
It is silly to give this one any special consideration and to pretend it is any more dangerous than any of the others. Give the shots to the people who want them and call it flu season like we do every year.

If we got all paranoid every time flu season rolled around I can see us acting the same now, but acing paranoid for this flu and not for others is just fear mongering.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-25-2009, 10:48 PM

Well, I was thinking about it one day because, for instance, most math classes are cumulative. If a kid fails a test and doesn't understand a concept, he will be crippled for the rest of the class. Does it really make sense to just continue as if this never happened?

Jarod
08-26-2009, 06:46 AM

I know lots of rich people who never worked a day!

DamnYankee
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Then their kids don't need public schools!

TuTu Monroe
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Geebus... We don't need to rotate classes to protect people. Why should we do anything differently than we do for any other flu bug? This one is no worse than any normal flu bug.

They are now saying that this bug will affect over 1/2 of the US and thousands will die, mostly babies and young people.

Damocles
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
They are now saying that this bug will affect over 1/2 of the US and thousands will die, mostly babies and young people.
In Australia it wasn't even as effective as the normal flu bug. This is a "worse case" prediction and one that is meant to frighten people into acting stupidly and supporting idiotic methods of containment for a flu that will be no more deadly than any regular flu that we largely ignore in the US.

Get your shot, (two of them for this bug) and live on.

TuTu Monroe
08-26-2009, 01:35 PM
In Australia it wasn't even as effective as the normal flu bug. This is a "worse case" prediction and one that is meant to frighten people into acting stupidly and supporting idiotic methods of containment for a flu that will be no more deadly than any regular flu that we largely ignore in the US.

Get your shot, (two of them for this bug) and live on.

They say even the shots might not work, but I'm certainly not worried about it. What will be, will be.

Damocles
08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
They say even the shots might not work, but I'm certainly not worried about it. What will be, will be.
Pretty much. If you have a kid with asthma, get them vaccinated for the regular flu as well as this one. There's nothing terrible about being vaccinated, unless it wasn't tested like the last bird flu "epidemic" that never happened but the vaccine killed people...

Anyway, I'm digressing. This particular flu bug will have vaccines available in October for those who are most in "danger". I will be November before it is available to the public. It may have passed by that time. A flu wave lasts 6 to 8 weeks on average. This vaccine takes two shots, three weeks apart.

uscitizen
08-26-2009, 11:14 PM

No bootstraps needed?
Only way to go is down for many of those kids though.

Jarod
08-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I do not plan on vaccine's for my family or me. WE are all relativly healthy and I belive can survive a flu.

If my wife were pregnant or my kids sickly... Id likely be in line for the vaccine.

SmarterthanYou
08-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Napolitano is here in Dallas today talking to a firefighters union telling them that Swineflu is getting ready to kill lots of people here.

Break out the fearmongering anyone?

Jarod
08-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Napolitano is here in Dallas today talking to a firefighters union telling them that Swineflu is getting ready to kill lots of people here.

Break out the fearmongering anyone?

ITs discusting what they are doing with this "epidemic"!

TuTu Monroe
08-31-2009, 08:58 AM
ITs discusting what they are doing with this "epidemic"!

They are just telling you, you might die.

Jarod
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM

You might die from being struck by lightning also... Do they tell me that?

TuTu Monroe
08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
You might die from being struck by lightning also... Do they tell me that?

A young policeman in NY got it. He died within 2 months.

Jarod
09-02-2009, 08:24 AM
A young policeman in NY got it. He died within 2 months.

A 28 year old man in Florida was struck by ligntning. he died within 2 seconds.

Damocles
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
We are all going to die, not one of us will escape this world with this current meat vehicle intact. Now will we die of this flu? Not very likely, not even as likely as dying of a normal strain of flu that hits yearly.

SmarterthanYou
09-02-2009, 09:28 AM
looks like some police states are going to take full advantage of the 'crisis'.

Massachusetts' pandemic response bill (http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02pdf/st02028.pdf) PDF file

"Pandemic Response Bill" 2028 was passed by the Massachusetts state Senate on April 28 and is now awaiting approval in the House.

As stated in the bill, upon declaration by the governor that an emergency exists that is considered detrimental to public health or upon declaration of a state of emergency, a local public health authority, with approval of the commissioner, may exercise the following authorities (emphasis added):

* to require the owner or occupier of premises to permit entry into and investigation of the premises;

* to close, direct, and compel the evacuation of, or to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated any building or facility, and to allow the reopening of the building or facility when the danger has ended;

* to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated, or to destroy any material;

* to restrict or prohibit assemblages of persons;

* to require a health care facility to provide services or the use of its facility, or to transfer the management and supervision of the health care facility to the department or to a local public health authority;

* to control ingress to and egress from any stricken or threatened public area, and the movement of persons and materials within the area;

* to adopt and enforce measures to provide for the safe disposal of infectious waste and human remains, provided that religious, cultural, family, and individual beliefs of the deceased person shall be followed to the extent possible when disposing of human remains, whenever that may be done without endangering the public health;

* to procure, take immediate possession from any source, store, or distribute any anti-toxins, serums, vaccines, immunizing agents, antibiotics, and other pharmaceutical agents or medical supplies located within the commonwealth as may be necessary to respond to the emergency;

* to require in-state health care providers to assist in the performance of vaccination, treatment, examination, or testing of any individual as a condition of licensure, authorization, or the ability to continue to function as a health care provider in the commonwealth;

* to waive the commonwealth's licensing requirements for health care professionals with a valid license from another state in the United States or whose professional training would otherwise qualify them for an appropriate professional license in the commonwealth;

* to allow for the dispensing of controlled substance by appropriate personnel consistent with federal statutes as necessary for the prevention or treatment of illness;

* to authorize the chief medical examiner to appoint and prescribe the duties of such emergency assistant medical examiners as may be required for the proper performance of the duties of office;

* to collect specimens and perform tests on any animal, living or deceased;

* to exercise authority under sections 95 and 96 of chapter 111;

* to care for any emerging mental health or crisis counseling needs that individuals may exhibit, with the consent of the individuals

TuTu Monroe
09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
We are all going to die, not one of us will escape this world with this current meat vehicle intact. Now will we die of this flu? Not very likely, not even as likely as dying of a normal strain of flu that hits yearly.

Yes, I know, I was being sarcastic.

TuTu Monroe
09-02-2009, 06:13 PM
looks like some police states are going to take full advantage of the 'crisis'.

Massachusetts' pandemic response bill (http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02pdf/st02028.pdf) PDF file

"Pandemic Response Bill" 2028 was passed by the Massachusetts state Senate on April 28 and is now awaiting approval in the House.

As stated in the bill, upon declaration by the governor that an emergency exists that is considered detrimental to public health or upon declaration of a state of emergency, a local public health authority, with approval of the commissioner, may exercise the following authorities (emphasis added):

* to require the owner or occupier of premises to permit entry into and investigation of the premises;

* to close, direct, and compel the evacuation of, or to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated any building or facility, and to allow the reopening of the building or facility when the danger has ended;

* to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated, or to destroy any material;

* to restrict or prohibit assemblages of persons;

* to require a health care facility to provide services or the use of its facility, or to transfer the management and supervision of the health care facility to the department or to a local public health authority;

* to control ingress to and egress from any stricken or threatened public area, and the movement of persons and materials within the area;

* to adopt and enforce measures to provide for the safe disposal of infectious waste and human remains, provided that religious, cultural, family, and individual beliefs of the deceased person shall be followed to the extent possible when disposing of human remains, whenever that may be done without endangering the public health;

* to procure, take immediate possession from any source, store, or distribute any anti-toxins, serums, vaccines, immunizing agents, antibiotics, and other pharmaceutical agents or medical supplies located within the commonwealth as may be necessary to respond to the emergency;

* to require in-state health care providers to assist in the performance of vaccination, treatment, examination, or testing of any individual as a condition of licensure, authorization, or the ability to continue to function as a health care provider in the commonwealth;

* to waive the commonwealth's licensing requirements for health care professionals with a valid license from another state in the United States or whose professional training would otherwise qualify them for an appropriate professional license in the commonwealth;

* to allow for the dispensing of controlled substance by appropriate personnel consistent with federal statutes as necessary for the prevention or treatment of illness;

* to authorize the chief medical examiner to appoint and prescribe the duties of such emergency assistant medical examiners as may be required for the proper performance of the duties of office;

* to collect specimens and perform tests on any animal, living or deceased;

* to exercise authority under sections 95 and 96 of chapter 111;

* to care for any emerging mental health or crisis counseling needs that individuals may exhibit, with the consent of the individuals

WHEW!!!!

Taichiliberal
09-02-2009, 10:18 PM

IMHO, it's just the latest phase in the unholy alliance between the FDA and pharmaceutical industry. When I saw that chick from the WHO declare a pandemic (and if she didn't, I'll take it back), I practically lept from my chair!

The worldwide death toll from this particular strain wasn't even enough to rate a percentage point as to how many people DIE annually in the USA from flu viruses that have been with us ever since I can remember.

Interesting that time tested cures and remedies have to wait YEARS before the FDA decides that they can market with declarations of they cure.....while suddenly VACCINES are being rushed through for the N1H1....a flu viruse that compared to others is NOT even exceptionally lethal.

As the old saying goes, follow the money!

Damocles
09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Yes, I know, I was being sarcastic.
Ah, sometimes hard to hear sarcastic voice tones in the written word.