PDA

View Full Version : APP - remaining questions on the h/c bill: on the fence

Cancel 2018. 3
08-21-2009, 08:27 PM
1. does the minimum amount (income) where you have to get insurance or are taxed change based on where you live?

2. if so, or even if it is the same, could this lead to people who make, say 1000 over the floor, work less in order to avoid paying over 1000 in insurance?

3. what is the tax penalty for not having insurance?

i may have more

Cancel 2018. 3
08-21-2009, 10:51 PM
i'm not kidding....

anyone

ib1yysguy
08-22-2009, 02:11 AM
1. does the minimum amount (income) where you have to get insurance or are taxed change based on where you live?

No, it goes on the federal poverty level. If you make up to 3x the federal poverty level, you qualify for subsidy of some kind.

2. if so, or even if it is the same, could this lead to people who make, say 1000 over the floor, work less in order to avoid paying over 1000 in insurance?

The subsidies are on a sliding scale, so the amount you save by earning 1000 less is probably less than 1000. Besides, you'd have to be retarded to calculate your life that way. Most people work their hardest to earn as much as they can and healthcare is a secondary thought.

Until recently I was on Washington State's Basic Health program as a qualifying poor college student who was too old to be on my parent's plan. When they dropped 40,000 people from the rolls this year to save money (due to Bush's economy), I gave up my spot to try to make it on my own only to find that my $17/month plan was now going to cost me $500 on Cobra or $320 on my girlfriend's work policy. [/QUOTE]

i may have more

I'm not sure. I'd like to know this myself. However, whatever the penalty is it seems justified given that if you can afford it you need to have it to keep everyone else from picking up the tab when you get sick and have to get emergency treatment. All that extra cost goes into our premiums if you take the gamble and lose and wind up making the state foot the bill.

If you can't afford it, you're given enough money so you can.

If you can afford it and decide to be an ass and take the risk and make everyone else liable for your irresponsibility, you deserve to be taxed. The tax covers the cost of the premiums you're screwing the rest of the country out of by being an idiot.

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2009, 06:57 AM

the way I understand it, you are enrolled in the government option and charged that premium against your taxes.....if you are not entitled to any credits, you would have to pay the full sum.....

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2009, 07:01 AM

I don't understand your question....there is no minimum for having to get insurance....everyone has to get insurance.....do you mean the amount of money you have to earn before they stop giving you enough tax credit to pay for it?.....I don't think that has been calculated yet.....

tinfoil
08-22-2009, 09:15 AM
No, it goes on the federal poverty level. If you make up to 3x the federal poverty level, you qualify for subsidy of some kind.

The subsidies are on a sliding scale, so the amount you save by earning 1000 less is probably less than 1000. Besides, you'd have to be retarded to calculate your life that way. Most people work their hardest to earn as much as they can and healthcare is a secondary thought.

Until recently I was on Washington State's Basic Health program as a qualifying poor college student who was too old to be on my parent's plan. When they dropped 40,000 people from the rolls this year to save money (due to Bush's economy), I gave up my spot to try to make it on my own only to find that my $17/month plan was now going to cost me $500 on Cobra or $320 on my girlfriend's work policy.

I'm not sure. I'd like to know this myself. However, whatever the penalty is it seems justified given that if you can afford it you need to have it to keep everyone else from picking up the tab when you get sick and have to get emergency treatment. All that extra cost goes into our premiums if you take the gamble and lose and wind up making the state foot the bill.

If you can afford it and decide to be an ass and take the risk and make everyone else liable for your irresponsibility, you deserve to be taxed. The tax covers the cost of the premiums you're screwing the rest of the country out of by being an idiot.[/QUOTE]

The fine is 2500 bucks you fucking idiot. Learn what you're supporting.

tinfoil
08-22-2009, 09:17 AM
If you can afford it and decide to be an ass and take the risk and make everyone else liable for your irresponsibility, you deserve to be taxed. The tax covers the cost of the premiums you're screwing the rest of the country out of by being an idiot.

person X has no insurance. Gets ill and pays his bills. How does this affect anyone else?

Deadbeats who don't pay their bills does n ot equal people without health insurance.

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
The fine is 2500 bucks you fucking idiot. Learn what you're supporting.

does that include the cost of being enrolled in the public option.....hmmm, that's half what I'm paying.....so, if I wait until I need the insurance, then pay my fine, I can save half.......ka-ching!

Cancel 2018. 3
08-22-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't understand your question....there is no minimum for having to get insurance....everyone has to get insurance.....do you mean the amount of money you have to earn before they stop giving you enough tax credit to pay for it?.....I don't think that has been calculated yet.....

yes, that is what i meant

Cancel 2018. 3
08-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Until recently I was on Washington State's Basic Health program as a qualifying poor college student who was too old to be on my parent's plan. When they dropped 40,000 people from the rolls this year to save money (due to Bush's economy), I gave up my spot to try to make it on my own only to find that my $17/month plan was now going to cost me $500 on Cobra or $320 on my girlfriend's work policy.

thanks

FUCK THE POLICE
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM

i may have more

1. 3x the federal poverty level - around 60k a year.

2. It will probably be based on a sliding scale. They will want to avoid the illogical situations in which you can make more by making less. So the cutoff will probably be just gradual enough so that you never want to work less so that you can keep the healthcare subsidies.

3. 2.5k.

Unless you make less than 60k a year this plan probably isn't going to benefit you. I don't see the current plan holding down costs much. Depending on the regulations they put in place, you may get better insurance, as they won't be putting so much money into denying you healthcare. But I have little faith on Obama on that front. You can't be denied for pre-existing conditions in the health market, and there are numerous other benefits if you are on a single-person plan, but since you probably have employer-insurance anyway you already get all of those benefits.

The reform just doesn't take the steps necessary to stop healthcare inslation, in my opinion, and that's not just because the public option is possibly being ditched.

If you have any family that are too poor for health insurance, then this would help them out, though.

Cancel 2018. 3
08-22-2009, 02:59 PM
someone should put waterdeath down

Cancel5
08-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Is this your Christian belief?

FUCK THE POLICE
08-22-2009, 03:03 PM
person X has no insurance. Gets ill and pays his bills. How does this affect anyone else?

Deadbeats who don't pay their bills does n ot equal people without health insurance.

In Massachusettes they exempt people who simply can't afford insurance from the penalty.

But if you have people who still can't afford insurance, clearly something is wrong with your plan.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-22-2009, 03:04 PM

Do you even think anymore?

Cancel 2018. 3
08-22-2009, 03:12 PM
someone really needs to put waterdeath down

FUCK THE POLICE
08-22-2009, 03:13 PM
someone really needs to put waterdeath down

*sigh*

Cancel 2018. 3
08-22-2009, 03:20 PM

its my new moral belief based on waterdeath's life philosophy....he wants others to die and be put down, so he too should practice what he preaches

FUCK THE POLICE
08-22-2009, 03:21 PM
its my new moral belief based on waterdeath's life philosophy....he wants others to die and be put down, so he too should practice what he preaches

*sigh*

Cancel5
08-22-2009, 03:21 PM

thanks.

PostmodernProphet
08-22-2009, 06:05 PM

they put down horses for less.....