PDA

View Full Version : Best American Brewery

/MSG/
08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Well pretty much like the title says, which is the best brewery in America? Please elaborate on your choice as well.

And and I'm back for those who remember me. At least for the time being.

Damocles
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Holy Frick! Long time no see man!

/MSG/
08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Well I got bored and lost internet. And now I'm bored but still have internet. And a growing love of beer. Nice to be back though.

Thorn
08-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm not familiar with most of those, but is the brewery that makes Shiner Bock on there?

Welcome back, Capt.Billy!

Norman Paperman
08-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Wow, most of those are really good choices. Actually, all but the last two are great choices. Though you did leave a couple of good ones off. New Belgium for one, and the Mendocino Brewing Company. Oh and Humboldt Brewing Company, they gave us the delicious Hemp Ale. The Karl Strauss Brewing Company in San Diego turns out some very good brews. Big Sky Brewing Company is very good, their Moose Drool Ale is not to be missed. Firestone Brewery is also worthy of a mention. Oh the list is long... Okay, more than a couple were left off your list...

I love beer...

As for your list, I can't vote, too many good ones. Boston Brewery is always a great go to, as is Sierra Nevada (If you like mustard, try theirs. You can order it online. Great stuff.).

Cancel 2018. 3
08-19-2009, 05:09 PM
one of my favorites:

deschutes brewery in oregon

obsidian stout

WinterBorn
08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Well, I'm not familiar with most of those, but is the brewery that makes Shiner Bock on there?

Shiner Bock is tasty stuff! I have always liked it, but I loved drinking it, ice cold, at the Texas State Rodeo. It fit rather well.

Norman Paperman
08-19-2009, 05:14 PM

That would be the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner Texas. Good beer. Their Bock is just the tip off their iceberg.

Minister of Truth
08-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I cannot vote in this poll because Alaskan Brewing Co. isn't on the list. If Damo adds it I will vote.

Welcome back Billy, how is the Corp treating you these days?

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
about a third of those I've never even heard of....guess I'll need to spend a week drinking before I can vote....

Norman Paperman
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I cannot vote in this poll because Alaskan Brewing Co. isn't on the list. If Damo adds it I will vote.

Another excellent brewery, I can't believe I forgot it.

Damocles
08-19-2009, 10:20 PM

It is there.

Minister of Truth
08-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Yay! Thanks Damo!!!

:clink:

Topspin
08-20-2009, 05:16 AM
wear the heck is Abitta?

/MSG/
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Gettin out in less than 30 days! I don't even show up anymore, checking out is amazing.

/MSG/
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
As for the brewers I forgot, I only listed some of the larger ones since many cannot go too far out of state. I only have had the chance to sample the larger west coast brews but hopefully that will change soon.

Minister of Truth
08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
As for the brewers I forgot, I only listed some of the larger ones since many cannot go too far out of state. I only have had the chance to sample the larger west coast brews but hopefully that will change soon.

I hope so, for your sake. :cool:

/MSG/
08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I hope so, for your sake. :cool:

It's gonna be hard for them to beat the Michigan breweries. Or Dogfish Head for that matter. But I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Cancel5
08-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Well pretty much like the title says, which is the best brewery in America? Please elaborate on your choice as well.

And and I'm back for those who remember me. At least for the time being.

So many beers, so little time!

Cancel5
08-20-2009, 04:29 PM
It's gonna be hard for them to beat the Michigan breweries. Or Dogfish Head for that matter. But I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Come to Alaska, I will take you to the Moose's Tooth! on me...

Norman Paperman
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Come to Alaska, I will take you to the Moose's Tooth! on me...

I want to live in Alaska...

Cancel5
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I want to live in Alaska...

Well, I will take you, too!

BRUTALITOPS
08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Holy Frick! Long time no see man!

holy frick indeed.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey it's hard to argue with longevity. Yuengling is the nations oldest continously operating brewery so they get my vote as they make an excellent lager. I'm glad Great Lakes gets mention as I drink their products regularly.. There's a lot of great breweries out of PA. I didn't see Latrobe (producers of Rolling Rock, a great pilsner) on the list. Boston Brewing company rates real high in my book too.

Norman Paperman
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey it's hard to argue with longevity. Yuengling is the nations oldest continously operating brewery so they get my vote as they make an excellent lager. I'm glad Great Lakes gets mention as I drink their products regularly.. There's a lot of great breweries out of PA. I didn't see Latrobe (producers of Rolling Rock, a great pilsner) on the list. Boston Brewing company rates real high in my book too.

Latrobe was purchased by Labatt Brewing Company in 1987, which in turn was purchased in 1995 by the Belgian brewing conglomerate Interbrew, which merged into InBev in 2004.

In May 2006, InBev announced that it was selling the Rolling Rock brands to Anheuser-Busch, the largest brewer in the United States. This sale, however, excluded the Brewery, leaving an uncertain future for the Latrobe brewery, which only continued producing the Rolling Rock Brands through July 31st, when production was moved to an Anheuser-Busch facility in Newark, New Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrobe_Brewing_Company

Socrtease
08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
one of my favorites:

deschutes brewery in oregon

obsidian stoutDon't forget their IPA. The name escapes me right now but it is a hopheads dream.

Socrtease
08-20-2009, 09:54 PM
I voted for Stone. It is probably not the most popular with the bulk of craft brew drinkers because their beers are extraordinarily hoppy. My favorite of theirs is Ruination IPA, over 100 IBU's. Then Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard which are both close to 100 IBU's and are between 9 and 11% alc by volume. If you are a hop head I would suggest you try Stone beers.

http://www.stonebrew.com/

Minister of Truth
08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Don't forget their IPA. The name escapes me right now but it is a hopheads dream.

Hey, anyone that can make an IPA taste good has got some mad skillz!!

Minister of Truth
08-20-2009, 10:26 PM
So many beers, so little time!

Haha, I forgot we both liked the same beer, from your state, naturally. :woot:

Cancel5
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Haha, I forgot we both liked the same beer, from your state, naturally. :woot:

I will also take you for a beer when you arrive here one day to visit.

ZappasGuitar
08-21-2009, 02:13 PM
It is there.

Hey Damo, if you or anyone else in Colorado ever get over to the Western Slope and Grand Junction, they got a microbrewery over there called Rockslide Pub...OUTSTANDING beers.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Damo, if you or anyone else in Colorado ever get over to the Western Slope and Grand Junction, they got a microbrewery over there called Rockslide Pub...OUTSTANDING beers.

Zappa, next time I am in the area, I am definitely calling you to get together.

The parents are in Kansas, son is in Durango, I have no excuse!

Damocles
08-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Excellent, thanks! Is there any "haunted" places over there? If I can find one of those that we can stay at my wife will let me hit the pubs on any night of a vacation...

:D

ZappasGuitar
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Zappa, next time I am in the area, I am definitely calling you to get together.

The parents are in Kansas, son is in Durango, I have no excuse!

OMG! My wife's brother and his family live in Kansas, my big Bro lives in Aztec, NM just across the border from Durango and my mother in law lives in the aforementioned Grand junction.

Let me know when and where and I/we will be there.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:36 PM
OMG! My wife's brother and his family live in Kansas, my big Bro lives in Aztec, NM just across the border from Durango and my mother in law lives in the aforementioned Grand junction.

Absolutely, that would be a hoot!

ZappasGuitar
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Excellent, thanks! Is there any "haunted" places over there? If I can find one of those that we can stay at my wife will let me hit the pubs on any night of a vacation...

:D

You might find a haunted B&B in Glenwood Spgs, Lake City or Silverton, but those are a fair piece from GJ. There ought to be something with a bit of "history" in Grand Junction though.

Damocles
08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
You might find a haunted B&B in Glenwood Spgs, Lake City or Silverton, but those are a fair piece from GJ. There ought to be something with a bit of "history" in Grand Junction though.
I'll find something. The whole family likes to do some unofficial "ghost hunting", even the 5 year old...

/MSG/
09-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Got a good buzz off Dogfish Head Sah'tai last night. Weirdest buzz ever had too. But amazing none the less.

uscitizen
09-05-2009, 03:05 PM

I have a sister in Durango.

Thorn
09-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a sister in Durango.

There's an Agility trial in Durango at the end of Sept.; too bad I have a conflict. :(

uscitizen
09-05-2009, 09:33 PM
There's an Agility trial in Durango at the end of Sept.; too bad I have a conflict. :(

I also have a friend that owns a resort at Ute Bluff.

I do need to get out there.

Cypress
09-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I voted for Miller since Pabst Blue Ribbon wasn't represented.

Minister of Truth
09-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I voted for Miller since Pabst Blue Ribbon wasn't represented.

Pabst sucks. And Miller isn't something to be proud of, either.

DigitalDave
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Gotta love the Yuengling.

ZappasGuitar
09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Pabst sucks. And Miller isn't something to be proud of, either.

Remember the old Miller Beer spots on TV?

"Rillem Reeb"!! Rillem Reeb! Was it aliens or frogs or what? I don't remember. They were the funniest spots I ever saw.

Or how about the old Ranier Beer spots.

RAAAAAAAY! NEEEEEEEEER! BEEEEEEEEEEER! While you hear the sound of a car shifting through it's gears as it accelerates.

Ahhhhhh, good times.

Norman Paperman
09-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Remember the old Miller Beer spots on TV?

"Rillem Reeb"!! Rillem Reeb! Was it aliens or frogs or what? I don't remember. They were the funniest spots I ever saw.

Or how about the old Ranier Beer spots.

RAAAAAAAY! NEEEEEEEEER! BEEEEEEEEEEER! While you hear the sound of a car shifting through it's gears as it accelerates.

Ahhhhhh, good times.

How about Hamm's?

YouTube - Hamms Beer Commercial - Vintage Black and White

Mott the Hoople
09-12-2009, 06:06 AM
I voted for Miller since Pabst Blue Ribbon wasn't represented.Miller is my every day drinking beer. :) It's the Amstel Light of America.

Mott the Hoople
09-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Gotta love the Yuengling.Yea, except that we can't get it here in Ohio.

Mott the Hoople
09-12-2009, 06:10 AM
The worst thing that happened to beer in American was when the red neck fashion nazi's decided you couldn't be a good ole boy red neck in the country unless you drink Budweiser.

Minister of Truth
09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
The worst thing that happened to beer in American was when the red neck fashion nazi's decided you couldn't be a good ole boy red neck in the country unless you drink Budweiser.

This is true. But now that its not American, perhaps change can occur. Weird story about Pabst, though, is that its really popular in Seattle, but down in the Olympia area, everyone drinks Bud Light... Seriously, every bar in Seattle has to have Pabst as the shitty light selection. No idea why.

Mott the Hoople
09-12-2009, 12:42 PM
This is true. But now that its not American, perhaps change can occur. Weird story about Pabst, though, is that its really popular in Seattle, but down in the Olympia area, everyone drinks Bud Light... Seriously, every bar in Seattle has to have Pabst as the shitty light selection. No idea why.Dude, back before you were born PBR was the most popular brand of beer in the country. Bud didn't displace them till the late 70's. Most popular American mass produced beers owe their watered down flavors to grain rationing during WWII when malted barley was replaced with rice or corn. Miller was the first mass produced beer to go back to using traditional brewing methods after the war but the legacy has continued. Miller came out with Miller light because by then the American pallet had become used to the watered down beer being sold.

Beer afficianado's in this nation owe a lot to the resurgence in quality beer to Yuengling, who somehow managed to survive both prohibition and WWII to remain our nations oldest brewer. They and Sam Adams are really about the only European style traditional lagers to be mass produced in the US (albeit on a limited scale).

Beers in this nation, up until the days of refrigeration were made locally with limited distribution and tended to be more flavorful. Prohibition and WWII killed off most of them and the beer wars of the 70's and 80's killed off most of the rest. Thanks to the rise of local microbreweries Americans have been able to rediscover what a good beer is all about.

Minister of Truth
09-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Dude, back before you were born PBR was the most popular brand of beer in the country. Bud didn't displace them till the late 70's. Most popular American mass produced beers owe their watered down flavors to grain rationing during WWII when malted barley was replaced with rice or corn. Miller was the first mass produced beer to go back to using traditional brewing methods after the war but the legacy has continued. Miller came out with Miller light because by then the American pallet had become used to the watered down beer being sold.

Beer afficianado's in this nation owe a lot to the resurgence in quality beer to Yuengling, who somehow managed to survive both prohibition and WWII to remain our nations oldest brewer. They and Sam Adams are really about the only European style traditional lagers to be mass produced in the US (albeit on a limited scale).

Beers in this nation, up until the days of refrigeration were made locally with limited distribution and tended to be more flavorful. Prohibition and WWII killed off most of them and the beer wars of the 70's and 80's killed off most of the rest. Thanks to the rise of local microbreweries Americans have been able to rediscover what a good beer is all about.

Yes, I agree. And Seattle, which likes to be weird and different, would be the logical city to still worship Pabst and not drink Bud.

DigitalDave
09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Yea, except that we can't get it here in Ohio.

Not a big deal, WV is only an hour away and it is plentiful there ;)

Nothin like a case of Yuengling and some cornhole!

Socrtease
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey, anyone that can make an IPA taste good has got some mad skillz!!Deschuttes makes Inversion IPA and it is great. If you don't like hops you should drink some Mike's Hard Lemon so you don't run the risk of bitterness.

Minister of Truth
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Deschuttes makes Inversion IPA and it is great. If you don't like hops you should drink some Mike's Hard Lemon so you don't run the risk of bitterness.

Yeah, I don't like hops. I think next time I buy some more Alaskan I will swipe one of their IPAs off the shelf. I mean, they make a mad Amber and White, so why not a decent IPA?

Socrtease
09-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I don't like hops. I think next time I buy some more Alaskan I will swipe one of their IPAs off the shelf. I mean, they make a mad Amber and White, so why not a decent IPA?Hops is an acquired thing. I didn't start liking hop bitterness until I got to Europe and drank some of the English Ales and IPA's. Beer is a great thing because whether you like it hoppy or Malty well crafted beer is a thing of beauty.

Mott the Hoople
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Not a big deal, WV is only an hour away and it is plentiful there ;)

Nothin like a case of Yuengling and some cornhole!OH bite me! LOL WV is a 4 hour drive from CMH.

Mott the Hoople
09-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Deschuttes makes Inversion IPA and it is great. If you don't like hops you should drink some Mike's Hard Lemon so you don't run the risk of bitterness.
Ooooo, you gonna take that sitting down 3D?

Mott the Hoople
09-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Hops is an acquired thing. I didn't start liking hop bitterness until I got to Europe and drank some of the English Ales and IPA's. Beer is a great thing because whether you like it hoppy or Malty well crafted beer is a thing of beauty.Not liking hoppy beer is kinda like not liking wine cause it taste like grapes.

Mott the Hoople
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Hops is an acquired thing. I didn't start liking hop bitterness until I got to Europe and drank some of the English Ales and IPA's. Beer is a great thing because whether you like it hoppy or Malty well crafted beer is a thing of beauty.No, a well crafted beer is tasty. Scarlet Johansen in a thing of beauty. :clink:

Minister of Truth
09-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Ooooo, you gonna take that sitting down 3D?

I will take it sprawled out on the ground...

Mott the Hoople
09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I will take it sprawled out on the ground...I don't care what Grind says.....you're a good man!!

Minister of Truth
09-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't care what Grind says.....you're a good man!!

Sweet!! Oh, and right now my life sucks a bit less than it did yesterday, because I just passed my re-occuring job eval for the Air Force that I botched last month. Yeeeeah!

:party:

Socrtease
09-16-2009, 06:12 PM
God Scarlet Jo is incredible huh? I really liked her in Lost in Translation.

Minister of Truth
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
God Scarlet Jo is incredible huh? I really liked her in Lost in Translation.

Yeah, they removed all of the glamor aids for her that actresses get, made her look like a normal person, and she was still gorgeous. Also, was convincing, so we actually cared about the crappy life her character was stuck in. I loved the opening shot of her lying on the bed in her undies...

/MSG/
09-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I myself am not a fan of overly hopped beer. More of a malt man. Not to say that hops don't have their place.

Minister of Truth
09-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I myself am not a fan of overly hopped beer. More of a malt man. Not to say that hops don't have their place.

Yeah, in the gutter...