PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Cypress
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
The air force and ground forces of a foreign nation are bombing your country.

The foreign air force drops leaflets on your town warning that targets in your city may be bombed -- -that You should leave, and if you don't it will be your fault for staying and puttting yourself in danger.

Meanwhile, the roads, highways and bridges in your country are being bombed. Non-combatants on these roads have been blown up, including ambulances, and UN peacekeeping forces -- Making "leaving" your town also a risky proposition.

What do you do? Stay in your house? Or risk fleeing on the roads and highways?

LadyT
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Not much of an option. Get some non perishables, bunker up and hope for the best. There is not much you can do at that point.

LadyT
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Can you imagine if you had to worry about children as well as yourself in that situation?

Cypress
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Not much of an option. Get some non perishables, bunker up and hope for the best. There is not much you can do at that point.

This is why I don't buy the arugment that dead lebanese civilians are to blame for getting themselves blown up.

It may be just as safe to stay in your house and hope for the best, as it is to try fleeing or roads and bridges that are getting bombed and strafed on a daily basis.

LadyT
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
NOt only that, a lot of these road and bridges cease to exist. And what if you run out of gas along the way? This is highly likely considering gas station attendents have families as well and that supplies to gas stations could be halted. You're best bet is if you are by a coastal region and get to a boat, but that doesn't apply to everyone. Particularly the sick and disabled.

Damocles
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I'd be pretty hacked at the Hizbollah guys hiding in my neighborhood then braggin on TV how they are using me as a shield.

bob
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
i would try to seperat myself as much as possable from the people they are after

maineman
08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I would stuff my critical belongings in a sack and start walking north, avoiding roads and highways altogether. It is pretty nice countryside, and not at all impassable.

bob
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
i wouldnt sit around and wait to be saved. or bunker up, that might give certin people the wrong idea.

LadyT
08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
I would stuff my critical belongings in a sack and start walking north, avoiding roads and highways altogether. It is pretty nice countryside, and not at all impassable.

If you're healthy that's an option. However, safety wouldn't be guaranteed considering the raids are pretty indiscriminate in who they are hitting.

Cypress
08-01-2006, 11:16 AM

One option, indeed.

The terrain is pretty rugged there, and its the middle of the summer heat. It might not be practicle for the elderly, the young, the sick, or the infirm.

bob
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
If you're healthy that's an option. However, safety wouldn't be guaranteed considering the raids are pretty indiscriminate in who they are hitting.

well the question was what would you do, not what should people do.

but anyway, when in a war, i not sure anything is guaranteed, and ecspeacaly when one side is a terroist orginization who ware no uniforms, hide amogste the population, and do not abid to any laws of war

bob
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
well the question was what would you do, not what should people do.

but anyway, when in a war, i not sure anything is guaranteed, and ecspeacaly when one side is a terroist orginization who ware no uniforms, hide amogste the population, and do not abid to any laws of war

but if you dont try, what do you expect ?

maineman
08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
One option, indeed.

The terrain is pretty rugged there, and its the middle of the summer heat. It might not be practicle for the elderly, the young, the sick, or the infirm.

the terrain is not all that rugged...I have walked most of it.... and the question did not have to do withy the young the sick or the infirm...the post asked what YOU would do..and that is definitely what I would do..... actually....given the fact that I am an American, I would not walk north, but south and wave a white flag as I approached the Israeli border....

and then catch a ride to Nahariya and have a delightful dinner and a cold Gold Star beer at the Nof Hof Hadakel restaurant, right on the water's edge! ;)

Cypress
08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Fair enough, MM>

I've got a sick wife, three kids and a small baby at my house. I might be tempted to hunker down, and hope for the best, rather than trying to huff it cross country.

bob
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
the terrain is not all that rugged...I have walked most of it.... and the question did not have to do withy the young the sick or the infirm...the post asked what YOU would do..and that is definitely what I would do..... actually....given the fact that I am an American, I would not walk north, but south and wave a white flag as I approached the Israeli border....

and then catch a ride to Nahariya and have a delightful dinner and a cold Gold Star beer at the Nof Hof Hadakel restaurant, right on the water's edge! ;)

good point... but you might catch a bullet from the back side though

bob
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Fair enough, MM>

I've got a sick wife, three kids and a small baby at my house. I might be tempted to hunker down, and hope for the best, rather than trying to huff it cross country.

would you try to move if there were hiding rokets next door to you ?

Cypress
08-01-2006, 11:37 AM
would you try to move if there were hiding rokets next door to you ?

No, hiking miles cross country would not an option for my family. and With roads and bridges bombed out, neither is fleeing in a car an option.

I would first try to convince them to move the rockets away from my house, and if they refused I'd find a relative, or friends house to stay in.

bob
08-01-2006, 11:40 AM
No, hiking miles cross country would not an option for my family. and With roads and bridges bombed out, neither is fleeing in a car an option.

I would first try to convince them to move the rockets away from my house, and if they refused I'd find a relative, or friends house to stay in.

ok well thats kinda what i ment.. atlest get away from the rockets that they fire off

maineman
08-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Fair enough, MM>

reasonable.... I might very well take my family and camp out on some non-strategic piece of wilderness as far away from Hezbollah rocket emplacements as possible.... there is plenty of that sort of terrain there.