PDA

View Full Version : APP - America is fat

Fish
08-14-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.weight.com/obesity_2001.gif

During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. In 2008, only one state (Colorado) had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%. Thirty-two states had a prevalence equal to or greater than 25%; six of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia ) had a prevalence of obesity equal to or greater than 30%.
This is from the CDC's data. Ranked from fattest % of population and marked Red/Blue as they voted in the 2008 presidential election.

So, America is fat and getting fatter. What are the causes? I believe that one of those causes is being poor.

2008 State Obesity Rates

Mississippi 32.8
Alabama 31.4
West Virginia 31.2
Tennessee 30.6
Oklahoma 30.3
South Carolina 30.1
Kentucky 29.8
North Carolina 29.0
Michigan 28.9
Arkansas 28.7
Ohio 28.7
Texas 28.3
Louisiana 28.3
South Dakota 27.5
Kansas 27.4
Georgia 27.3
Delaware 27.0
North Dakota 27.1
Nebraska 26.6
Illinois 26.4
Indiana 26.3
Alaska 26.1
Iowa 26.0
Maryland 26.0
Washington 25.4
Wisconsin 25.4
New Mexico 25.2
Maine 25.2
Virginia 25.0
Nevada 25.0
Wyoming 24.6
New York 24.4
Florida 24.4
Arizona 24.8
Minnesota 24.3
Oregon 24.2
New Hampshire 24.0
Montana 23.9
California 23.7
New Jersey 22.9
Vermont 22.7
Utah 22.5
Hawaii 22.6
Washington DC 21.8
Rhode Island 21.5
Connecticut 21.0
Massachusetts 20.9
Colorado 18.5

Compared with the 10 poorest states (Median Household Income):

# South Carolina – $43,329
# Tennessee – $42,367
# Oklahoma – $41,567
# New Mexico – $41,452
# Louisiana – $40,926
# Alabama – $40,554
# Kentucky – $40,267
# Arkansas – $38,134
# West Virginia – $37,060
# Mississippi – $36,338

The poor have a tough time getting a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in their diets and many have to deal with times of food insecurity, which has serious links with obesity.

Many in poverty work multiple jobs at varying 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift schedules and are eating the cheapest easiest meals to eat on the go: fast food.

Why do you think America is fat?

PostmodernProphet
08-14-2009, 06:29 PM
they eat too much and exercise too little....

DamnYankee
08-14-2009, 06:30 PM
We need a good continental war. That will take care of the excess weight issue. Let's make up an issue to start it. How about Obamacare's death panels?

Fish
08-14-2009, 06:48 PM

"No health care? Buy health care! Move on, nothing to see here."

PostmodernProphet
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM

well there you have it then....if we spend a trillion dollars everyone in America will get skinny....probably because they will all have to live on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sliced cheese....

meme
08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Liberals are fascist at heart..this what is going to happen they pass this hostile takeover of our health care, they will tell people what to eat, tax the shit out of things they deem UNhealthy, cause they gotta pay for that free health care..take a good look..this is what will be coming..

Fish
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
well there you have it then....if we spend a trillion dollars everyone in America will get skinny....probably because they will all have to live on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sliced cheese....

This is only partially a health care issue, it's mainly a poverty/consumer culture issue.

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM

This is from the CDC's data. Ranked from fattest % of population and marked Red/Blue as they voted in the 2008 presidential election.

So, America is fat and getting fatter. What are the causes? I believe that one of those causes is being poor.

2008 State Obesity Rates

Mississippi 32.8
Alabama 31.4
West Virginia 31.2
Tennessee 30.6
Oklahoma 30.3
South Carolina 30.1
Kentucky 29.8
North Carolina 29.0
Michigan 28.9
Arkansas 28.7
Ohio 28.7
Texas 28.3
Louisiana 28.3
South Dakota 27.5
Kansas 27.4
Georgia 27.3
Delaware 27.0
North Dakota 27.1
Nebraska 26.6
Illinois 26.4
Indiana 26.3
Alaska 26.1
Iowa 26.0
Maryland 26.0
Washington 25.4
Wisconsin 25.4
New Mexico 25.2
Maine 25.2
Virginia 25.0
Nevada 25.0
Wyoming 24.6
New York 24.4
Florida 24.4
Arizona 24.8
Minnesota 24.3
Oregon 24.2
New Hampshire 24.0
Montana 23.9
California 23.7
New Jersey 22.9
Vermont 22.7
Utah 22.5
Hawaii 22.6
Washington DC 21.8
Rhode Island 21.5
Connecticut 21.0
Massachusetts 20.9
Colorado 18.5

# Tennessee – $42,367
# Oklahoma – $41,567
# New Mexico – $41,452
# Louisiana – $40,926
# Alabama – $40,554
# Kentucky – $40,267
# Arkansas – $38,134
# Mississippi – $36,338

The poor have a tough time getting a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in their diets and many have to deal with times of food insecurity, which has serious links with obesity.

Many in poverty work multiple jobs at varying 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift schedules and are eating the cheapest easiest meals to eat on the go: fast food.

Alaska, no data!

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Alaska is one of the skinnier red states :D

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
So per the statistics conservaties are fatter than liberals?

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 08:14 PM
This is only partially a health care issue, it's mainly a poverty/consumer culture issue.
Ironic. For the first time in human history a nation is suffering the consequences of having to much food.

In essence it is an easy solution. Eat less, exercise more. For a lot of people, how do you prioritize that when career demands 10 to 12 hour work days and an hour or two of commuting, family commitments and responsibilities, when are you supposed to fit exercise in? Not to mention other cultural and behavioral issues such as the extraordinary levels of stress that todays electronic induced productivity requires in the work place as well as a mass media that induces you to slurp down high sugar, high fat, high caloric products. Those who discount these cultural conditionings by saying "eat less, exercise more" are probably the most obese persons.

The obvious solution is education on proper nutrition, lifestyle choices and human physiology but even then you have to get your ass off the couch.

I know how a friend of mine solved the obesity problem with his kids. #1. He took a sledge hammer to their nintendo play station. #2. He banned all soft drinks from his home. #3. His kids, after they get home from school, have to either do chores our play outdoors until dinner time at around 6pm. It seems to have worked. His kids hated him for about a month after he destroyed their nintendo but they got over it.

As for me. I ride my hybrid bike to work (10 miles round trip) every work day and I do around 75 to 125 miles per week on my road bike after work and on weekend. Most weeks I do about 150 miles combined. That's about 8 hours a week of exercise and that works for me.

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:15 PM
So per the statistics conservaties are fatter than liberals?

The correlation can also say that conservatives often cast votes that hurt them economically, keeping them poor.

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Time's article says exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, just what you eat, the old saying, you are what you eat!

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Ironic. For the first time in human history a nation is suffering the consequences of having to much food.

In essence it is an easy solution. Eat less, exercise more. For a lot of people, how do you prioritize that when career demands 10 to 12 hour work days and an hour or two of commuting, family commitments and responsibilities, when are you supposed to fit exercise in? Not to mention other cultural and behavioral issues such as the extraordinary levels of stress that todays electronic induced productivity requires in the work place as well as a mass media that induces you to slurp down high sugar, high fat, high caloric products. Those who discount these cultural conditionings by saying "eat less, exercise more are probably the most obese persons.

The obvious solution is education on proper nutrition, lifestyle choices and human physiology but even then you have to get your ass off the couch.

Hurray, someone gets it.

I think excessive and constant advertising plays into the issue a lot as well. We live in a 24 hour ad blitz where avoiding constant demands to consume is nearly impossible.

The market breeds generations of fast food, brand name, useless junk consumers.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Time's article says exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, just what you eat, the old saying, you are what you eat!

:shock: I am a big pile of Nestles Quick!

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Alaska is one of the skinnier red states :D

Yeah, thanks for rubbing that in...

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, thanks for rubbing that in...

Moose and wolf must be very lean meats.

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 08:24 PM
what do you expect on a no content thread....
Do you always have to be so narrow minded? This is actually a very interesting topic that affects millions of our fellow citizens. I for one have committed a substantial amount of community time as a volunteer training people to lead a more fit and active lifestyle while also teaching them fundamental principles of nutrition and exercise physiology. It's these sort of education program which can have a profound impact on reducing health care costs in this nation via prevention.

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Moose and wolf must be very lean meats.

As is fish!

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Do you always have to be so narrow minded? This is actually a very interesting topic that affects millions of our fellow citizens. I for one have committed a substantial amount of community time as a volunteer training people to lead a more fit and active lifestyle while also teaching them fundamental principles of nutrition and exercise physiology. It's these sort of education program which can have a profound impact on reducing health care costs in this nation via prevention.

Sounds like you're doing what you can to give back a little. I'm wondering if you make it a point to work with lower income children/teenagers? I think that if more Americans could be educated beyond the terrible and vague food pyramid that the trend would start to reduce.

Sounds like you do a lot of biking, I sure wish I had a bike. I run a few nights a week because it's, well, free. I also am planning on doing my first 5K in November.

I agree that diet and exercise are the solutions to lose weight and be healthy, but getting to that point isn't as simple as it sounds, which was the purpose of this thread: to explore the causes of obesity in America.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Part of the problem is what society accepts now vs then.
Fat girls are ok now in HS from what I have seen. Unlike when I was in school.
Pregnant out of wedlock is accepted.
Having family members in jail is pretty much accepted, etc...

There is no social stigma now for many things.

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 08:41 PM

What is the new country song about a "beer belly"?

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM

I don't know, being fat still carries a social stigma.

All three of the things you listed there are things that I have no problems with. Fat people are just people too. I don't necessarily care if someone has the means to be fit and chooses not to be, but not everyone does.

Your other two points date you a bit. Baby boom?

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah I have a pic somewhere of sixpack abs.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/images/thumbnail/0/7a448a53f66e4eec186a27fcc7e63a33_190.jpg?dl=123308 3412

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah I have a pic somewhere of sixpack abs.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/images/thumbnail/0/7a448a53f66e4eec186a27fcc7e63a33_190.jpg?dl=123308 3412

Notice the t-shirt, I love it!

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:45 PM

All three of the things you listed there are things that I have no problems with. Fat people are just people too. I don't necessarily care if someone has the means to be fit and chooses not to be, but not everyone does.

Your other two points date you a bit. Baby boom?

Fat is sometimes a medical issue. But often it indicates other issues with self esteem, slothfulness, and other attitude issues.

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Fat is sometimes a medical issue. But often it indicates other issues with self esteem, slothfulness, and other attitude issues.

Do you see the line I'm drawing between obesity and poverty though? I agree that self esteem is a major part of it as well.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Do you see the line I'm drawing between obesity and poverty though? I agree that self esteem is a major part of it as well.

Poverty also leads to many of the same attitude issues.
And some of those attitude issues can lead to poverty.
It is intertwined.
note: I am speaking of America here not another country.

Also unhealthy food is cheaper as many someone else said on this thread.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Another thought I have is Tax the heck out of telivisoin as a viewer tax and america would be a lot better off in many ways.
Put a heck of a sin tax on it so many would not watch much of it.

ib1yysguy
08-14-2009, 08:54 PM
There's a lot of red at the top of those lists.

Fish
08-14-2009, 08:54 PM
The problem with sin taxing something like fast food is that without addressing some of the other issues involved, it just ends up making poor people poorer.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:55 PM
It is those healthy cons that do not need health care ;)

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:56 PM
The problem with sin taxing something like fast food is that without addressing some of the other issues involved, it just ends up making poor people poorer.

Heck some of them might even have to start preparing real food again!

How many homes do not even have a bog of flour or corn meal in them?

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Each generation eats less real food and more prepared food!

PostmodernProphet
08-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Do you always have to be so narrow minded?

yes, it makes it easier to slip into the gaps between liberals arguments.....

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Each generation eats less real food and more prepared food!

which costs more and is less healthy.
So why should we encourage this?

Fish
08-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Our end goal is probably the same, I just don't think that the problem is solved by taxing it. Now, banning certain types of advertisement... that's another story.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Our end goal is probably the same, I just don't think that the problem is solved by taxing it. Now, banning certain types of advertisement... that's another story.

Or tax the heck out of TV to reduce our exposure to advertisements?

By taxing it we could remove the ads.

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Time's article says exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, just what you eat, the old saying, you are what you eat!I haven't read Time's article but I'd have to say that if their saying exercise has nothing to do with ones weight, that they don't know what they are talking about. Besides, it's not just about weight. I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI >30% cause I"m sedentary or I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI <20% because I exercise a lot and have more lean muscle mass. That's one of the traps that I teach people about. Fitness and an active life style aint just about what you weight. If you choose good nutrition and proper levels of exercise your weight will pretty much take care of itself.

uscitizen
08-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I haven't read Time's article but I'd have to say that if their saying exercise has nothing to do with ones weight, that they don't know what they are talking about. Besides, it's not just about weight. I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI >30% cause I"m sedentary or I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI <20% because I exercise a lot and have more lean muscle mass. That's one of the traps that I teach people about. Fitness and an active life style aint just about what you weight. If you choose good nutrition and proper levels of exercise your weight will pretty much take care of itself.

LOL, Mott has not reached the magic age yet has he Froggie?

FUCK THE POLICE
08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
I haven't read Time's article but I'd have to say that if their saying exercise has nothing to do with ones weight, that they don't know what they are talking about. Besides, it's not just about weight. I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI >30% cause I"m sedentary or I can weigh 220 lbs and have a BMI <20% because I exercise a lot and have more lean muscle mass. That's one of the traps that I teach people about. Fitness and an active life style aint just about what you weight. If you choose good nutrition and proper levels of exercise your weight will pretty much take care of itself.

It takes a lot of time to exercise enough to make a difference. It's far easier and a more realistic option for people to just not eat as much.

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Hurray, someone gets it.

I think excessive and constant advertising plays into the issue a lot as well. We live in a 24 hour ad blitz where avoiding constant demands to consume is nearly impossible.

The market breeds generations of fast food, brand name, useless junk consumers.It does and that's the truth but still we are the ones who make the choices that control our lives. The problem as I see it is that it's easy to be passive and succumb to self gratification. Having the information to make good life style choices don't mean much if you don't commit to doing the work. To me it's not so much about taking responsibility as much as making proper life style choices a priority in ones life.

Cancel5
08-14-2009, 09:26 PM
LOL, Mott has not reached the magic age yet has he Froggie?

Exactly, but I wish him the best, he may be Jack LaLain!

Fish
08-14-2009, 09:29 PM
It takes a lot of time to exercise enough to make a difference. It's far easier and a more realistic option for people to just not eat as much.

It's not really "don't eat so much" it's "make better choices when you eat".

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Sounds like you're doing what you can to give back a little. I'm wondering if you make it a point to work with lower income children/teenagers? I think that if more Americans could be educated beyond the terrible and vague food pyramid that the trend would start to reduce.

Sounds like you do a lot of biking, I sure wish I had a bike. I run a few nights a week because it's, well, free. I also am planning on doing my first 5K in November.

I agree that diet and exercise are the solutions to lose weight and be healthy, but getting to that point isn't as simple as it sounds, which was the purpose of this thread: to explore the causes of obesity in America.I do what I can with my limited time but no, I don't work much with low income kids or teenagers though that is something I would like to do. Mostly I've worked with training women. The problem with being a volunteer fitness trainer is that people love to waste your time and my time is valuable to me and god knows I've had it wasted enough. I have some rules that the people I train must follow and if they don't, their wasting my time and I won't help them.

As for the bike, it's not as expensive as you think to get started. You just take things in stages. Do you live in a rural or urban area? Why wait to do a 5K in November. It only takes a month to properly prepare for a 5K and you won't be killing yourself. I can help you with that if you wish?

The biggest challenge I find in fitness training. Particularly with women and I'm trying not to over generalize but a lot of women have deep seated lack of self esteem allied with a negative image of their own bodies. It's a visceous cycle that's hard to break.

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 09:42 PM
It takes a lot of time to exercise enough to make a difference. It's far easier and a more realistic option for people to just not eat as much.That's just simply not true. Studies have shown, time and time again that those who focus on losing weight by diet (i.e. lowering caloric intake) only lose weight temporarily. Because they don't make the necessary lifestyle changes they inevitably gain the weight back and usually then some.

The problem I have communicating to people is the focus about weight. Obesity is not the problem rather it is a sign of the underlying problems that causes obesity. If one addresses those problems, particularly via holistic methods (body, spirit, mind) then the body tends to adapt a healthy and functional BMI.

In fact, with a lot of the women I have trained one of the first things I require them to do before I will coach them is for them to go home and throw away their bathroom scale. You'd be surprised at how many women won't do that.

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
LOL, Mott has not reached the magic age yet has he Froggie?I think I have. I"m almost 50. Trust me, it's not easy humping my ugly mugg up and down the road on my bike.

Mott the Hoople
08-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Exactly, but I wish him the best, he may be Jack LaLain!No, I'm no Jack LaLain but I am committed to living a holistic life style. I'm no spring chicken either.

belme1201
08-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I think I have. I"m almost 50. Trust me, it's not easy humping my ugly mugg up and down the road on my bike.

You put the period in the wrong place, youngster.

DamnYankee
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
....Trust me, it's not easy humping my ugly mugg up and down the road on my bike. That sentence is just so wrong.:eek:

Mott the Hoople
08-15-2009, 06:39 AM
yes, it makes it easier to slip into the gaps between liberals arguments.....Well it's really a shame that you feel that way about this topic because as someone with a divinity background and with your knowledge of spirituality there is probably much you could contribute to this discussion about how balancing spirituality in ones life has a positive impact on health and wellness issues such as obesity. It's a crying shame that you would with hold that from the discussion.

SmarterthanYou
08-15-2009, 06:42 AM

tell me you don't really think that this 'fat' issue would go away if everyone had a doctor.

most of these people are overweight because they want to be.

Mott the Hoople
08-15-2009, 06:49 AM
It's not really "don't eat so much" it's "make better choices when you eat".Exactly but that's just one small part of a complex equation that impacts, in the holistic approach, what is called the triad, (body, spirit, mind) and the relationship and connection these three aspects of our being have. I can't drive that point home enough. (Body, spirit, mind. Body, spirit, mind, Body, spirit, mind). From the holistic approach the focus is always balancing the triad (body, spirit, mind) because what impacts one aspect of the triad always, repeat, ALWAYS, impacts the others. (can you tell this is something I feel passionately about?)

Mott the Hoople
08-15-2009, 06:56 AM
tell me you don't really think that this 'fat' issue would go away if everyone had a doctor.

most of these people are overweight because they want to be.Well you do have a point that everyone having a doctor won't make the problem go away but I utterly reject the notion that most obese people choose to be obese. Go ask some obese persons if they want to be overweight. I bet you don't get a lot of "yes" responses.

Damocles
08-15-2009, 07:14 AM
We're skinny here in Colorado...

SmarterthanYou
08-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Well you do have a point that everyone having a doctor won't make the problem go away but I utterly reject the notion that most obese people choose to be obese. Go ask some obese persons if they want to be overweight. I bet you don't get a lot of "yes" responses.

and they'd be lying through their half eaten philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

it's real simple to figure out that if you're overweight, you figure out why.

If it's medically related because of thyroid or some other physiological issue, then obesity is understandable and a doctor most likely could help. This is only the case in maybe 25% of the overweight people out there though.

The majority are overweight because of poor nutrition and dietary personal standards and lack of physical exercise. If you're gaining weight and refuse to do anything different, like portion sizing or exercising more, then you are choosing to be overweight. It's the equivalent of saying 'I don't give a damn'.

Mott the Hoople
08-15-2009, 07:31 AM
it's all them hills you gotta walk up.

Mott the Hoople
08-15-2009, 07:36 AM
and they'd be lying through their half eaten philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

it's real simple to figure out that if you're overweight, you figure out why.

If it's medically related because of thyroid or some other physiological issue, then obesity is understandable and a doctor most likely could help. This is only the case in maybe 25% of the overweight people out there though.

The majority are overweight because of poor nutrition and dietary personal standards and lack of physical exercise. If you're gaining weight and refuse to do anything different, like portion sizing or exercising more, then you are choosing to be overweight. It's the equivalent of saying 'I don't give a damn'.
That's a somewhat specious argument. I mean suffering the conserquences of making poor decisions is not the same thing as "choosing to be obese" but if one doesn't want to be obese then that person must make the needed changes. Don't underestimate how difficult it is to make those changes. What I mean is, try gaining 30 lbs and then try losing that weight permanently. It's not easy by any means.

SmarterthanYou
08-15-2009, 07:55 AM
That's a somewhat specious argument. I mean suffering the conserquences of making poor decisions is not the same thing as "choosing to be obese" but if one doesn't want to be obese then that person must make the needed changes. Don't underestimate how difficult it is to make those changes. What I mean is, try gaining 30 lbs and then try losing that weight permanently. It's not easy by any means.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it is a choice. it's one thing to see your issue and choose to do something about it while not succeeding well. It's another issue entirely to not do a damned thing about it or give up after a short time.

DamnYankee
08-15-2009, 08:41 AM

it's all them hills you gotta walk up. Definitely a correlation with altitude. Very few fatties in the mountains of NC; "tons" at the beach.

Mott the Hoople
08-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm not saying it's easy, but it is a choice. it's one thing to see your issue and choose to do something about it while not succeeding well. It's another issue entirely to not do a damned thing about it or give up after a short time.I think we have to be careful too about whom we term as obese. Though I certainly believe in BMI I think the BMI table is pretty much bogus. The only really accurate methods for measuring BMI (obesity) are the water displacement test (good ole archmideds) or better yet a tissue biopsy. Genetic and biomechanics come into play as well. A 30% BMI would certainly indicate obesity in a person with an ectomorphic body structure but it would not indicate obesity in someone with an endomorphic structure. A lot of endomorphs look obese but really are not. You're average guard in the NFL would be a good example of that.

SmarterthanYou
08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I think we have to be careful too about whom we term as obese. Though I certainly believe in BMI I think the BMI table is pretty much bogus. The only really accurate methods for measuring BMI (obesity) are the water displacement test (good ole archmideds) or better yet a tissue biopsy. Genetic and biomechanics come into play as well. A 30% BMI would certainly indicate obesity in a person with an ectomorphic body structure but it would not indicate obesity in someone with an endomorphic structure. A lot of endomorphs look obese but really are not. You're average guard in the NFL would be a good example of that.

I agree. I don't look at someone thats maybe 20 or 30 lbs above the height average as obese. now, somebody that's 5'4" and 190 lbs......whole other story.

BRUTALITOPS
08-15-2009, 06:22 PM
#1. He took a sledge hammer to their nintendo play station.

lol OLD person aleart! playstation is SONY, nintendo is a completely separate company. It's like saying a mazda camry.

you must be so embarrassed.

Cancel5
08-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Definitely a correlation with altitude. Very few fatties in the mountains of NC; "tons" at the beach.

Why is that? The more clothes, the less body fat. I hate seeing men with DDD!

BRUTALITOPS
08-15-2009, 06:24 PM

it's all relative. We have all been getting fatter, so you just have to make sure you are not fatter than the average person

Cancel5
08-15-2009, 06:25 PM
it's all relative. We have all been getting fatter, so you just have to make sure you are not fatter than the average person

Fat people will last longer in the hard economic times to come!

DamnYankee
08-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Why is that? The more clothes, the less body fat. I hate seeing men with DDD! What's DDD?

Leisure activities in the mountains consist of hiking, mountain biking, rafting, canoeing, fishing, skiing; leisure activities at the beach consist of lying on your back drinking beer and gawking at 20-somethings.

BRUTALITOPS
08-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I think there are a few reasons why we are fatter today.

For starters, I think suburban sprawl is a big contributing factor. It is my impression that kids and people in general in the 50/60/70's just did a lot more walking throughout the day. You would walk to the store, more kids would walk to school, you would walk to go see a movie. Etc. With the expansion of suburbia we are using our cars to get places to more than ever. At no time when I was growing up was it possible for me to be able to walk to anywhere fun. I couldn't walk to a park, or a movie, etc. I had to get rides.

This is probably also why in the south, where some areas have a mile between your neighbors, that there could be a contributing factor to obsiety. In the northeast there are still a lot of small colonial towns where you can get around really easily. In western washington (king county, my old stomping ground), the area is practically made for bikers, with wide bike lanes on most streets.

Obviously video games, more tv, and the internet probably also contribute to obsiety. Face it, there are just more things to do these days while sitting on your ass. We now have a whole generation of children raised on world of warcraft, aim, and 200 channels of programming.

And yes, lastly, poor people go to mcdonalds more.

Fish
08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I think there are a few reasons why we are fatter today.

For starters, I think suburban sprawl is a big contributing factor.

Yes! Not only the distance thing, but the sprawl is another factor in the overwhelming message of society today: CONSUME! On my bus ride to my main job, I pass countless strip malls, an actual indoor mall, two Wal-Marts, and between 10-12 fast food outlets.

uscitizen
08-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Why is that? The more clothes, the less body fat. I hate seeing men with DDD!

It is called the furniture disease. When your chest drops down to your drawers.

Mott the Hoople
08-16-2009, 06:14 AM
lol OLD person aleart! playstation is SONY, nintendo is a completely separate company. It's like saying a mazda camry.

you must be so embarrassed.Not really. I haven't played video games since the early 90's. There so compulsive and an utter waste of time. I'd rather ride my bike. :)

And if you think I'm that old, go on a bike ride with me sonny. I"ll drop you like a bad habit. lol

PostmodernProphet
08-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Well it's really a shame that you feel that way about this topic because as someone with a divinity background and with your knowledge of spirituality there is probably much you could contribute to this discussion about how balancing spirituality in ones life has a positive impact on health and wellness issues such as obesity. It's a crying shame that you would with hold that from the discussion.

lol....and I know how much it bothers you when people avoid discussions.....

Mott the Hoople
08-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Yes! Not only the distance thing, but the sprawl is another factor in the overwhelming message of society today: CONSUME! On my bus ride to my main job, I pass countless strip malls, an actual indoor mall, two Wal-Marts, and between 10-12 fast food outlets.don't forget the jiffy lube.

Oh yea, suburban sprawl plays a role. In the south traditional dietary habits don't help either. Grind made a good point too. What ever happened to the sidewalk?

When I was a kid I lived on a farm till I was 13. We usually had several hours of chores to do and we played outside a lot, even in winter. God knows we ate enough. My father in-law is a farmer. He's 74. Though semi-retired he still goes out into the fields every day and works. He also tends to the hogs and the fruit orchard. He's also got the body of a 30 y.o.

I helped him weed his garden a few years back. His vegie garden is about an acre and we hoed the weeds for nearly 4 hours. My back never hurt so bad in my life. It didn't phase him. Videogame kids like Grind, 3D and Watermark would have been flat on their ass in an hour (it was about 95 deg out that day too).

I can remember telling him about all the hours I spent training on my bike to stay in shape. He was not impressed. Just looked at me with a cyinical look and said "Have you tried working?" LOL

uscitizen
08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Isn't the purpose of college to make more money and "work" less?

Mott the Hoople
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Isn't the purpose of college to make more money and "work" less?I could be mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought purpose of college was go get an education. ;)

uscitizen
08-16-2009, 11:19 AM
I could be mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought purpose of college was go get an education. ;)

And why do you "get an education"?
Just to say you have one?
So you can tell the other guys digging a ditch with you that you have a PHD?

Fish
08-16-2009, 11:27 AM

Well, in the capitalist system the ultimate goal of education is usually to get a higher paying job.

However, many people educate themselves as a means of self-realization and a greater and more meaningful understanding of the world.

uscitizen
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, in the capitalist system the ultimate goal of education is usually to get a higher paying job.

However, many people educate themselves as a means of self-realization and a greater and more meaningful understanding of the world.

True most of those stay in the isolated world of Acedemia though.

Mott the Hoople
08-16-2009, 12:59 PM

However, many people educate themselves as a means of self-realization and a greater and more meaningful understanding of the world.I thought it was both.

Fish
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought it was both.

I think that saying that everybody goes to college to become a better person fools nobody but yourself.

Mott the Hoople
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I think that saying that everybody goes to college to become a better person fools nobody but yourself.
I meant that most people go to college to both broaden themselves as a person and to improve their economic horizons.

PostmodernProphet
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
people go to college to both broaden themselves as a person

Freshman 15?.....

uscitizen
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I meant that most people go to college to both broaden themselves as a person and to improve their economic horizons.

I think you are reversed on this. imho most people go to college to broaden their money making opportunities.
some people go to college to learn as their primary goal. Most of those are in the liberal or scientific arts.
How many MBA just go to college to learn? Or lawyers?

Cypress
08-16-2009, 04:09 PM

EXACTLY!!!

I like telling my fellow pizza delivery drivers that I have a graduate degree!

j/k.

I went to college to ultimately make more money, but MORE importantly to allow myself plenty of options to get a job I really liked. A job, or career, that I could see doing for 50 years.

Most of the shit I thought I could really dig doing for a career wouldn't have been possible without a college degree. I would have been stuck in some crappy job or career that I hated. Like pizza delivery, or landscaping! :o. But that's just me. I'm not downing anyone who had a different career path.

so I can't speak for everyone, but that's how it was for me.

Check it out though -- I went to an art exhibit yesterday, by a gal who just graduated from college fine arts program. Now, those are people who really are into college as self-fullfillment, I think. Man, her art was awesome. Maybe she'll get rich, but I doubt that her choice of art was a conscious effort to get rich. :)

DamnYankee
08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
You forgot the most important reason- the babes. :)

Cancel5
08-17-2009, 01:32 AM
You forgot the most important reason- the babes. :)

I wondered when someone was going to mention it!

DamnYankee
08-17-2009, 05:32 AM
I wondered when someone was going to mention it!LOL That was my major- Babeology.

Topspin
08-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Education people.
It's never been easier to be rich or healthy.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I think you are reversed on this. imho most people go to college to broaden their money making opportunities.
some people go to college to learn as their primary goal. Most of those are in the liberal or scientific arts.
How many MBA just go to college to learn? Or lawyers?I'd have to say most. Almost all colleges and universities (both private and public) in this nation are based on the liberal arts model. Regardless of your major your going to recieve an education that will broaden your development as a person as well as increase your marketable skills.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
EXACTLY!!!

I like telling my fellow pizza delivery drivers that I have a graduate degree!

j/k.

I went to college to ultimately make more money, but MORE importantly to allow myself plenty of options to get a job I really liked. A job, or career, that I could see doing for 50 years.

Most of the shit I thought I could really dig doing for a career wouldn't have been possible without a college degree. I would have been stuck in some crappy job or career that I hated. Like pizza delivery, or landscaping! :o. But that's just me. I'm not downing anyone who had a different career path.

so I can't speak for everyone, but that's how it was for me.

Check it out though -- I went to an art exhibit yesterday, by a gal who just graduated from college fine arts program. Now, those are people who really are into college as self-fullfillment, I think. Man, her art was awesome. Maybe she'll get rich, but I doubt that her choice of art was a conscious effort to get rich. :)You can say that for a lot more than art majors. I'm a science major but I specifically went into the life sciences and environmental management field because it was a vocation I was attracted to. I obtain a lot of self-fullfilment from my work.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
LOL That was my major- Babeology.
Ha! Who are you trying to kid. Saying "I'm an "Accounting/Engineering/Chemistry/Computer Science/Biology/ major" was like have 3 strikes against you in the babe department! LOL

Thorn
08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
You can say that for a lot more than art majors. I'm a science major but I specifically went into the life sciences and environmental management field because it was a vocation I was attracted to. I obtain a lot of self-fullfilment from my work.

Same here. I gave up a perfectly comfortable, lucrative and promising career in finance because I was bored to tears, and began evening classes just in order to stretch my mind. I've mentioned to you before that the neurophysiology course just grabbed me and never has let go. I'd make more money in finance but would never, ever change a thing about that decision!

Cypress
08-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Same here. I gave up a perfectly comfortable, lucrative and promising career in finance because I was bored to tears, and began evening classes just in order to stretch my mind. I've mentioned to you before that the neurophysiology course just grabbed me and never has let go. I'd make more money in finance but would never, ever change a thing about that decision!

Damn, check out Dr. Science!

High fives to you and Mottleydude. I totally agree. I went to college to enhance my options and enable myself to make pretty good money. But, I totally agree: college, for me, came down to being able to have a career that I could really enjoy and get paid for. I'm totally hip to what you're saying; Money is a relatively secondary priority. Of course, everyone wants to make enough to be comfortable. But, I can totally understand how and why you and Mott chose your career paths. A buddy of mine once said the worst day as a scientist is better than the best day as an accountant. LOL, so true. To each, their own!

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 10:37 AM

2008 State Obesity Rates

Mississippi 32.8
Alabama 31.4
West Virginia 31.2
Tennessee 30.6
Oklahoma 30.3
South Carolina 30.1
Kentucky 29.8
North Carolina 29.0
Michigan 28.9
Arkansas 28.7
Ohio 28.7
Texas 28.3
Louisiana 28.3
South Dakota 27.5
Kansas 27.4
Georgia 27.3
Delaware 27.0
North Dakota 27.1
Nebraska 26.6
Illinois 26.4
Indiana 26.3
Alaska 26.1
Iowa 26.0
Maryland 26.0
Washington 25.4
Wisconsin 25.4
New Mexico 25.2
Maine 25.2
Virginia 25.0
Nevada 25.0
Wyoming 24.6
New York 24.4
Florida 24.4
Arizona 24.8
Minnesota 24.3
Oregon 24.2
New Hampshire 24.0
Montana 23.9
California 23.7
New Jersey 22.9
Vermont 22.7
Utah 22.5
Hawaii 22.6
Washington DC 21.8
Rhode Island 21.5
Connecticut 21.0
Massachusetts 20.9
Colorado 18.5

# Tennessee – $42,367
# Oklahoma – $41,567
# New Mexico – $41,452
# Louisiana – $40,926
# Alabama – $40,554
# Kentucky – $40,267
# Arkansas – $38,134
# Mississippi – $36,338

This is complete bullshit. You can eat a healthy meal cheaper than fast food. People who fall back on that line of bullshit are simply too friggin lazy to make the food.

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM

That is incorrect. I do believe the 'what you eat' is more important than the exercise, the exercise most certainly helps with weight loss. Watch the show 'the biggest loser'.... then tell me they could lose that weight simply by eating better. Not going to happen.

DamnYankee
08-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Ha! Who are you trying to kid. Saying "I'm an "Accounting/Engineering/Chemistry/Computer Science/Biology/ major" was like have 3 strikes against you in the babe department! LOL

Not for the engineering degree. Babes seem to be attracted to guys that are going to have several attractive job offers before they graduate. In fact, I started my first "real" job nearly before my last final exams, and I moved from a dorm room to the campus hotel and worked ten hour shifts seven days per week. It was a nice salary, plus rent and a per diem. During my first break at that stint I bought a my first new car. :)

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM

This has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen.

1) Most people watch TV for over an hour each day. Right there is the hour that will make a difference through exercise.

2) 'Eating less' is equally idiotic. Eating less doesn't mean you lose weight. When you starve your body of calories it needs to operate your metabolism slows down to compensate. you need to rephrase your comment to 'eating healthy'. Then only half of your statement would be moronic.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Same here. I gave up a perfectly comfortable, lucrative and promising career in finance because I was bored to tears, and began evening classes just in order to stretch my mind. I've mentioned to you before that the neurophysiology course just grabbed me and never has let go. I'd make more money in finance but would never, ever change a thing about that decision!Physiology was my favorite subject in college too. It's demanding multidisciplinary field of study but what can be more fascinating then the mechanisms of life?

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Not really. I haven't played video games since the early 90's. There so compulsive and an utter waste of time. I'd rather ride my bike. :)

And if you think I'm that old, go on a bike ride with me sonny. I"ll drop you like a bad habit. lol

Bring your bike on out to CO.... The 2010 Triple Bypass is only 11 months away.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 10:55 AM
This is complete bullshit. You can eat a healthy meal cheaper than fast food. People who fall back on that line of bullshit are simply too friggin lazy to make the food.or not well educated on nutrition. The temptations are great. Oh how I do love fried foods! LOL

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Not for the engineering degree. Babes seem to be attracted to guys that are going to have several attractive job offers before they graduate. In fact, I started my first "real" job nearly before my last final exams, and I moved from a dorm room to the campus hotel and worked ten hour shifts seven days per week. It was a nice salary, plus rent and a per diem. During my first break at that stint I bought a my first new car. :)Un Huh and you were probably getting about as much lady action as 3D! :pke:

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
or not well educated on nutrition. The temptations are great. Oh how I do love fried foods! LOL

I used to, but once you kick the habit, then it just gets disgusting to see all the grease and crap that goes into frying foods.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Bring your bike on out to CO.... The 2010 Triple Bypass is only 11 months away.huh? You're either talking about open heart surgery or a ride with some serious eleveation climb? I think hills are my concesion to age. I can't do them nearly as well as I used to.

Are you a cyclist SF?

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I used to, but once you kick the habit, then it just gets disgusting to see all the grease and crap that goes into frying foods.
To true. I have been on macrobiotic diets when I was in serious training to race 10 years ago and when you're at an elevated level of fitness it's amazing how our body is repulsed by things like fried, processed and sugary food. Unfortunately bad habits sure are easy to back slide into. LOL

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
huh? You're either talking about open heart surgery or a ride with some serious eleveation climb? I think hills are my concesion to age. I can't do them nearly as well as I used to.

Yeah, its a nice little ride.... one day, 120 miles, 10300 feet of climbing. Toughest ride I have done....

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/default/files/TripleBypassRouteMap2009_0.pdf

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 11:10 AM
To true. I have been on macrobiotic diets when I was in serious training to race 10 years ago and when you're at an elevated level of fitness it's amazing how our body is repulsed by things like fried, processed and sugary food. Unfortunately bad habits sure are easy to back slide into. LOL

True. It is can be easy to slip back into them. I imagine it is like smoking a cigarette for a former smoker. They have 'just one'... that becomes 'just one more'... that turns into 'F me, I am a smoker again'.

There is a reason CO is the leanest state. Very very active in the outdoor lifestyle. Add to that the education level here is high... which helps with the understanding of eating more nutritious meals etc....

DamnYankee
08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Un Huh and you were probably getting about as much lady action as 3D! :pke: Doood, my next purchase after the car was an engagement ring. :pke:

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, its a nice little ride.... one day, 120 miles, 10300 feet of climbing. Toughest ride I have done....

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/default/files/TripleBypassRouteMap2009_0.pdfNa I'm not nearly fit enough to do that. Particularly at elevation as I've never ridden at elevation. Toughest ride I've ever done was the two day Columbus Fall Challenge. which is 107 miles and 6,000+ feet of eleveation climb each day in piedmont country. Nothing like the mountains out there but all the hills they hit are short climbs with 7 to 10% grades, one right after the other. It's brutal. I've done the "Assault on Mt. Mitchell" ride and CFC (particularly the second day) is harder.

Toughest ride I ever did was a double century ride that had 6,000 ft of climing, which granted isn't to bad for a double century but we got hit with 25 mph gusting head winds the last 60 miles. It took me 8 hours to do the first 140 miles and 5 more to do the last 60. I think I ate over 10,000 calories that day and still lost about 6 lbs....and that was afther I rehydrated.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Doood, my next purchase after the car was an engagement ring. :pke:
Well that was dumb! ;)

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
True. It is can be easy to slip back into them. I imagine it is like smoking a cigarette for a former smoker. They have 'just one'... that becomes 'just one more'... that turns into 'F me, I am a smoker again'.

There is a reason CO is the leanest state. Very very active in the outdoor lifestyle. Add to that the education level here is high... which helps with the understanding of eating more nutritious meals etc....
Oh yea. You're right about the smoking. I quit smoking in 1992 after 15 years of smoking. Last year I lit a cigerette for a friend and it was the first time I had a cigerette in my mouth since 1992. It's was a bizarre feeling, like I had never quite smoking. It freaked me out. I won't try that stunt again.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 11:30 AM

JESUS CHRIST! That's 3 Cat 1 climbs at between 8,000 and 12,000 ft? I don't think I could possibly get fit enough for that ride training here in Ohio! LOL Not unless I buy a barometric chabmer and train in it.

So what sort of bike do you ride? I'm a retro-grouch. I have a custom steel Paramount with ultegra components.

Thorn
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM

I'm worn out just reading that! Think I'll just stick to running around an agility course with a dog who can outrun a rabbit! :D

Cancel 2016.2
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
JESUS CHRIST! That's 3 Cat 1 climbs at between 8,000 and 12,000 ft? I don't think I could possibly get fit enough for that ride training here in Ohio! LOL Not unless I buy a barometric chabmer and train in it.

So what sort of bike do you ride? I'm a retro-grouch. I have a custom steel Paramount with ultegra components.

I have a Bianchi Veloce 2006. Love that bike. Have about 7000 miles on it.

The Triple is a tough ride, but they get participants from all 50 states plus some international riders that do it. The rides you mentioned should get you in shape for the climbing aspect. The altitude you would just need to plan a couple days out here ahead of time to get used to it. The fastest riders (damn little bastards) knock the ride out in about 6 hours of ride time. The first year I did it in 7 1/2. The second year I was on pace for 7, heading into the last 25 miles (which is the fun downhill portion) and blew out my back tire. I was on the ground in a heartbeat. Shredded my leg, wrecked my bike.

Mott the Hoople
08-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I have a Bianchi Veloce 2006. Love that bike. Have about 7000 miles on it.

The Triple is a tough ride, but they get participants from all 50 states plus some international riders that do it. The rides you mentioned should get you in shape for the climbing aspect. The altitude you would just need to plan a couple days out here ahead of time to get used to it. The fastest riders (damn little bastards) knock the ride out in about 6 hours of ride time. The first year I did it in 7 1/2. The second year I was on pace for 7, heading into the last 25 miles (which is the fun downhill portion) and blew out my back tire. I was on the ground in a heartbeat. Shredded my leg, wrecked my bike.
A man after my own heart. Bianchi makes some of the best steel bikes in the world! That's a sweet looking ride and I love Bianchi's understated celest green paint job that say's "I came to ride, not be pretty!".

Here' s a pic from the web of a Paramount PDG 7. Mine was upgraded to ultegra sti and look pedals.

http://ibikedb.net/bikes/25379-schwinn-paramount-pdg-series-7

good steel bikes are getting harder and harder to find. I'm glad I've taken good care of mine. I hate aluminum frames.

Topspin
08-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Jesus Freak, mucho respect

Longest I've done was 54, got lost on a 50 mile ride totally flat. Road some foothills in the smokies that I'd be too embarrassed to saw how low an elevation kicked my ass.:clink:

Topspin
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
ohh I smoke a couple left handed cigs last year and I'm hooked again

Mott the Hoople
08-19-2009, 07:26 PM
ohh I smoke a couple left handed cigs last year and I'm hooked againThat don't help. Longest I've ridden this year was 100k and it took me 3.5 hours. There was a time where I could do that in under 3 easily.

Topspin
08-20-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm back to riding again but this time just for weight control and cardio to help on the tennis courts. I couldn't do what freak does when I was 30, damn sure can't do it now.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm back to riding again but this time just for weight control and cardio to help on the tennis courts. I couldn't do what freak does when I was 30, damn sure can't do it now.
You'd be surprized at what you could do with some training. I went out for a ride a few weeks back. 35 miles. I sucked the wheel of the guy in front of me the whole way. He slowed down to a speed I could handle (about 19 mph) and it took us a hair under 2 hours to do the ride. The guy who's wheel I was drafting was 71 y.o.

Of course it helps if you have the right kind of bike. What ya ridden there Topper?

Topspin
08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
You'd be surprized at what you could do with some training. I went out for a ride a few weeks back. 35 miles. I sucked the wheel of the guy in front of me the whole way. He slowed down to a speed I could handle (about 19 mph) and it took us a hair under 2 hours to do the ride. The guy who's wheel I was drafting was 71 y.o.

Of course it helps if you have the right kind of bike. What ya ridden there Topper?

nothing special
a K2 road bike

DamnYankee
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
nothing special
a K2 road bike
Don't they make skis?

Topspin
08-20-2009, 10:06 AM
don't know it was about $500, which is about as cheap as you can go here with a road bike. At least 6 yrs ago when I bought it.

leaningright
08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm fat. I'm a food-a-holic. I am 6', 240 lb. I make a good living but I like food. I hate that I have to give up what I like so that I can live. I like cigarettes.....don't smoke 'em cause they'll kill me. I like to eat (steak, deer, elk, squirrels, rabbits, fish, potatoes, okra, squash).....am trying to give that up 'cause it's going to kill me if I don't. I'm very active in the fall and winter.......not so much in the summer....but I like to eat.

Cancel 2016.2
08-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Jesus Freak, mucho respect

Longest I've done was 54, got lost on a 50 mile ride totally flat. Road some foothills in the smokies that I'd be too embarrassed to saw how low an elevation kicked my ass.:clink:

A climb is essentially a climb. If you go up 3000 feet it is essentially the same in the smokies as it would be here in terms of kicking your ass (in terms of road grade). You also have to keep in mind, I am acclimated to higher altitudes. I live a mile above sea level... so when I play volleyball for six+ hours on Sundays or go to the gym to work out or simply go for a walk... it is all at altitude.

Which is one reason I enjoy running 5 and 10k's with my kid sister back in KC. Never feel the five... barely feel the ten (in terms of being winded... I always feel my knees after a run)

Cancel 2016.2
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
That don't help. Longest I've ridden this year was 100k and it took me 3.5 hours. There was a time where I could do that in under 3 easily.

You should look into the Elephant Rock if you want a good ride out here. They have versions that are 100 miles, 100k, 50 miles and some shorter ones. The 100 miler is total 3000 feet of climbing. Relatively easier and the course starts just south of Denver and heads down towards CO Springs and Pikes Peak and then returns. Fun ride, well staffed (ie... more aid stations than anyone could possibly need)

side note... 3.5 hours isn't that bad for the roughly 65 miles. I tend to crank around 28mph on flats, smoke the downs and get crushed on higher grades

Cancel 2016.2
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
don't know it was about $500, which is about as cheap as you can go here with a road bike. At least 6 yrs ago when I bought it.

That is pretty much the standard rate for an entry level road bike, no matter where you go.

Topspin
08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
A climb is essentially a climb. If you go up 3000 feet it is essentially the same in the smokies as it would be here in terms of kicking your ass (in terms of road grade). You also have to keep in mind, I am acclimated to higher altitudes. I live a mile above sea level... so when I play volleyball for six+ hours on Sundays or go to the gym to work out or simply go for a walk... it is all at altitude.

Which is one reason I enjoy running 5 and 10k's with my kid sister back in KC. Never feel the five... barely feel the ten (in terms of being winded... I always feel my knees after a run)

dude climbing 3,000 ft would kill me

Topspin
08-20-2009, 11:32 AM
ya'll would be waiting hours for me. Low 20's drafting a bunch of better riders on the 54mile ride. I'm at best in high teens if someone is not towing me.

Canceled1
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't they make skis?

Yes, they do. http://www.k2sports.com/

DamnYankee
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes, they do. http://www.k2sports.com/I was wondering if it was the same company. I met their Eastern rep last season and he had me try a pair of their "Brewskis". They've gotten out of the competition skis and are focusing on free skiing and "having fun". http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/cache/images/1231436724-726482-400x300-1231435240DSCF3185.JPG

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
nothing special
a K2 road bike
That's a good commuter bike. Wouldn't want to take a long road trip on it but for bombing around town and getting some cardio in for Tennis, that's a darned good bike. I bought a used Trek hybrid for commuting to work the other week. Went to put a new set of toe clip pedals on it and the idiots at the factory must have put the original pedals on with an air wrench cause I striped the damned crank taking the pedal off. Called Trek shop up and the assholes want almost as much to replace the entire crank (the assholes won't replace just the crank arm) as I paid for the bike. I hate Trek!

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm fat. I'm a food-a-holic. I am 6', 240 lb. I make a good living but I like food. I hate that I have to give up what I like so that I can live. I like cigarettes.....don't smoke 'em cause they'll kill me. I like to eat (steak, deer, elk, squirrels, rabbits, fish, potatoes, okra, squash).....am trying to give that up 'cause it's going to kill me if I don't. I'm very active in the fall and winter.......not so much in the summer....but I like to eat.
Try stir fry recipes. If you latch onto some good ones you can kill two birds with one stone. Have your meat and game and still eath healthy. What I like about stir fries is you have a moderate amount of a top cut of meat that you can really enjoy with out over doing it.

I have the same problem. I love food and I love to cook. My cycling hobby gives me the best of both worlds. As long as I ride 6 to 10 hours a week at a rate between 65% and 85% of my max heart rate (65% is about like a fast walk up hill) then I can pretty much eat what I want. Cycling don't tear your body up like running and other sport either (Assuming you don't become some ones hood ornament!). I get about 5 hours of that each week by commuting to work on my bike.

Topspin
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
my wife cooks italian a couple times a week, Emrile's gumbo, roast beef po boys. She doesn't like fish. Is a junk food junky.
Totally not fair as she eats a humming bird size portion which makes me insane.
I'm the guy doubling up the portion if front of the football game.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM

I hate that too. I used to be pretty good at Duathlons. I could do the standard 5K, 30k, 5k in under an 1.5hr but every time my 5k time would dip under 20 minutes my knees would start to go funky on me.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:13 PM
You should look into the Elephant Rock if you want a good ride out here. They have versions that are 100 miles, 100k, 50 miles and some shorter ones. The 100 miler is total 3000 feet of climbing. Relatively easier and the course starts just south of Denver and heads down towards CO Springs and Pikes Peak and then returns. Fun ride, well staffed (ie... more aid stations than anyone could possibly need)

side note... 3.5 hours isn't that bad for the roughly 65 miles. I tend to crank around 28mph on flats, smoke the downs and get crushed on higher grades
28 on the flats? WOW! That's smokin!! Are you USCF?

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
dude climbing 3,000 ft would kill me
That would be just about right for me.

3,000 ft of steady climbing, if your fit and have the right gearing, is not as bad as think. As long as the grade isn't to insane (say around 5%) you just find a gear you can manage with out blowing up and you find a rythem and just keep spining and not caring how many people pass you (you'll pass them again on the way down anways! :-).

In my experience, I find riding in Piedmont country harder then the mountains. The climbs may be shorter, but it's one right after the other on grades between 7 to 10%. Doing 100 miles in Piedmont country is harder, I think, then doing 3 major climbs with an equal amount of elevation gain.

You're problem is that your in the Delta and it's table top flat there. There's no reasonable way for you to train for hills.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
ya'll would be waiting hours for me. Low 20's drafting a bunch of better riders on the 54mile ride. I'm at best in high teens if someone is not towing me.That's alls it takes man. As long as your having fun and achieving your goals you doin aright. Do enough of those 54 mile rides and you'll want to graduate to a higher end road bike cause you'll be in pretty good shape. It only takes about 100 miles/week of training to get in pretty good shape if you do right.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
my wife cooks italian a couple times a week, Emrile's gumbo, roast beef po boys. She doesn't like fish. Is a junk food junky.
Totally not fair as she eats a humming bird size portion which makes me insane.
I'm the guy doubling up the portion if front of the football game.LOL, That's what the bikes for dude. Do an hour a day of hard riding and that won't be so much a problem.

Topspin
08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I can crack 28 for about 28 seconds

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I can crack 28 for about 28 seconds
I can't even do that. I can average about 18 or 19 on a long ride. I can only do mid 20's in a pace line (for a short time) or with a tail wind. But I'm out of shape. I only started riding again earlier this summer. I'm up to about 150 miles per week and my leg speed is starting to come back.

Topspin
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd die if I tried 150 miles in a week

Socrtease
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry. Ecclesiastes 8-15

Cancel5
08-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry. Ecclesiastes 8-15

Best book in the Bible.

uscitizen
08-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I am getting a testosterone overdose reading tha last couple of pages in this thread.

Mott the Hoople
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I'd die if I tried 150 miles in a weekNot if you've quit smoking you wouldn't. We have a huge cycling club here in Columbus (Columbus Outdoor Pursuits) and there's tons of guys your age and older who do more. 22 miles a day is easy to do, a little more than an hour a day. It's not as hard as you think if you get into the habit of riding everyday. Most guys who work go out for an hour ride after work on weekdays (maybe a 2 hour ride once or twice during the weekday) then go for a long ride of 50 to 100 miles on Saturday followed by a short but hard ride on Sunday. 150 miles a week is easier than you think. My daily commute just get's me warmed up by the time it's over. It's nothing and that gets me 50 miles a week. I do another 50 on Saturdays. I can get the other 50 in two rides on the weekdays after work.

Socrtease
08-20-2009, 09:43 PM
We're skinny here in Colorado...No. You're just not as fat as everyone else,

uscitizen
08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
No. You're just not as fat as everyone else,

but according to the charts CO folks doubled their percentage of Obese. Look out they are gaining on the rest of us.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 09:29 AM
but according to the charts CO folks doubled their percentage of Obese. Look out they are gaining on the rest of us.We've implemented the new Republican weight loss program here in Ohio. It's called starvation. If you lose your job your not permitted to eat as punishment for being a burden to society.

uscitizen
08-21-2009, 09:32 AM
11% unemployment in KY now.

And Bernanke says the recession is over?

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 09:42 AM
11% unemployment in KY now.

And Bernanke says the recession is over?We've been hammered here in Ohio. Past republican state policies have been openly hostile towards the youth of our state who have left in droves for better economic climates. Now that we need the energy and productivity of our youths the most, we don't have them. No wonder we continue to be called the rust belt. We're run by a bunch of old farts who only care about themselves.

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 11:17 AM
28 on the flats? WOW! That's smokin!! Are you USCF?

Nope... just ride for fun and for me. Just always had a strong lower body. That combined with good cardio allows me to maintain that on flats. don't let it fool you though... my size gets me smoked on climbs.

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
That would be just about right for me.

3,000 ft of steady climbing, if your fit and have the right gearing, is not as bad as think. As long as the grade isn't to insane (say around 5%) you just find a gear you can manage with out blowing up and you find a rythem and just keep spining and not caring how many people pass you (you'll pass them again on the way down anways! :-).

In my experience, I find riding in Piedmont country harder then the mountains. The climbs may be shorter, but it's one right after the other on grades between 7 to 10%. Doing 100 miles in Piedmont country is harder, I think, then doing 3 major climbs with an equal amount of elevation gain.

You're problem is that your in the Delta and it's table top flat there. There's no reasonable way for you to train for hills.

I would agree. The higher grades destroy you much faster than the longer continuous climbs in that 3-5% grade.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I would agree. The higher grades destroy you much faster than the longer continuous climbs in that 3-5% grade.

Colorado killed me! I did manage to make it to Verde Mesa to see the cliff dwellings. I was so proud of myself.

Just thought I would add that little bit of froggie info!

uscitizen
08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Colorado killed me! I did manage to make it to Verde Mesa to see the cliff dwellings. I was so proud of myself.

Is that the ones close to Colorado Springs that the highway goes right beside?

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Nope... just ride for fun and for me. Just always had a strong lower body. That combined with good cardio allows me to maintain that on flats. don't let it fool you though... my size gets me smoked on climbs.Climbing used to be my strong suit. I was also a fairly desent trime trialist by amature standards. I could do a 40K TT in around an hour but it's been 10 years since I raced. I'm working on it though. The commuting to work has been helping me a lot.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd love to go to CO or UT or NM and do some riding. My cycling buddies who've gone out west have raved about them. Gorgeous scenery combined with truely technical riding.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd love to go to CO or UT or NM and do some riding. My cycling buddies who've gone out west have raved about them. Gorgeous scenery combined with truely technical riding.

You would love Alaska! I was also in northern Cali and they seem to do a good deal of cycling there. Wine country would be beautiful to travel through!

DamnYankee
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
The Bush administration plans to make it easier for mountain bikers to gain access to national parks and other public lands before the president — an avid cyclist himself — leaves office.
[Environmental advocate Jeff] Ruch, executive director of the Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, said the proposal would open up backcountry trails to mountain bikers. Mountain bikers are blamed for erosion of trails and trampling native plants. They also disturb other park users, such as hikers, birders and horseback riders.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081015/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_bush_mountain_biking

You must be one of those evil Republicans that likes to destroy the earth.

leaningright
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081015/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_bush_mountain_biking

Ssshhh!! You weren't supposed to bring stuff like that up here. Don't you know nuthin'? :)

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Ssshhh!! You weren't supposed to bring stuff like that up here. Don't you know nuthin'? :)
Why, Bush gets credit where credit is due. This is nice to know. I think it is a good thing.
Family bike trips are a great thing!

DamnYankee
08-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Why, Bush gets credit where credit is due. This is nice to know. I think it is a good thing.
Family bike trips are a great thing!
They can cause erosion of trails, trampling of native plants, and disturbance of other park users, such as hikers, birders and horseback riders. I can only conclude that you are an evil Republican, and probably drive a large SUV and want uninsured Americans to die while corporate fat cats get rich.

Damocles
08-21-2009, 02:16 PM
They can cause erosion of trails, trampling of native plants, and disturbance of other park users, such as hikers, birders and horseback riders. I can only conclude that you are an evil Republican, and probably drive a large SUV and want uninsured Americans to die while corporate fat cats get rich.
No, just poor uninsured Americans. I mean, geez. Get it right. And I don't care if fat cats get rich, so long as I do. Now shut up and ride your bike.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:17 PM

You have at last discovered my alter ego!

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:30 PM

It is amazing out there... if you come back, go up to Estes Park and drive up to the visitor center of Rocky Mountain National Park. Also absolutely beautiful there... and one of my favorite bike rides. About 5000 ft of climbing over 20 miles. You don't go very fast, but with the scenery, you really don't want to.

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Climbing used to be my strong suit. I was also a fairly desent trime trialist by amature standards. I could do a 40K TT in around an hour but it's been 10 years since I raced. I'm working on it though. The commuting to work has been helping me a lot.

Thats a pretty good clip... roughly 26 mph or so???

and here you acted all '28 is fast'... friggin tryin to shark me.

uscitizen
08-21-2009, 02:32 PM
It is amazing out there... if you come back, go up to Estes Park and drive up to the visitor center of Rocky Mountain National Park. Also absolutely beautiful there... and one of my favorite bike rides. About 5000 ft of climbing over 20 miles. You don't go very fast, but with the scenery, you really don't want to.

I am not sure I could bike out there. I would keep wreckiing from rubbernecking at the scenery. Kinda like why I kept falling down on some of the FL beaches.

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Look into Ride the Rockies. The route changes every year, so find one you like and sign up. You have to have your group picked in the lottery in order to participate, but I have the secret to that.... the ride breakdown is about 75% guys 25% women. Put a woman in your group and you always get 'picked'.

It is usually a 6 or 7 day ride covering about 400-450 miles. Totally awesome experience. The mountain town residents provide awesome support.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM

I have been to Estes, it is like an emerald in the mountains!

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:36 PM
You would love Alaska! I was also in northern Cali and they seem to do a good deal of cycling there. Wine country would be beautiful to travel through!

Alaska is awesome. We took the train up to Denali and also the other train down to Seward. Unbelievable. Highly recommend people visit AK... unless you hate nature... cause then it just wouldn't matter.

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Alaska is awesome. We took the train up to Denali and also the other train down to Seward. Unbelievable. Highly recommend people visit AK... unless you hate nature... cause then it just wouldn't matter.

You are right, they don't come here for the shopping or entertainment!

We have the Beach Boys and CCR coming for the State Fair!

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:38 PM
I have been to Estes, it is like an emerald in the mountains!

Did you make it up into the park?

uscitizen
08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I liked the Gunnison area of Colorado very well.
And the road back thru the mountains to Cripple creek from Gunnison was great.

Damocles
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM
One of the funniest scenes in Ghost Hunters is when they were driving into Estes and saw the Elk on people's lawns and were asking, "Who do they belong to? Why aren't there any fences?"...

Damocles
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM

We might take a cruise up to Alaska next summer. It depends on the cash flow...

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:42 PM

So they are FINALLY making it to AK? and they are only 85... very nice. :)

Cancel5
Did you make it up into the park?

Yes, we drove and it was awhile ago, but I remember the lake!!!!

Cancel 2016.2
We might take a cruise up to Alaska next summer. It depends on the cash flow...

WAMU!!!!!

uscitizen
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
So they are FINALLY making it to AK? and they are only 85... very nice. :)

Elvis is having a labor day concert in eastern KY in a couple of weeks.

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes, we drove and it was awhile ago, but I remember the lake!!!!

I was just on Grand Lake this weekend. 75 and sunny went to MASSIVE thunderstorm and hail and then back to 75 and sunny in the span of about an hour. Naturally we were about the farthest from the docks that we could be when the hail storm hit. Nothing like being on a pontoon boat in the middle of a hail storm. FUN TIMES!!! :)

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I liked the Gunnison area of Colorado very well.
And the road back thru the mountains to Cripple creek from Gunnison was great.

We drove from Durango to Gunnison, beautiful, but not a trip I would want to make in the winter! Son use to go boarding and it would scare me knowing he was driving those roads!

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
One of the funniest scenes in Ghost Hunters is when they were driving into Estes and saw the Elk on people's lawns and were asking, "Who do they belong to? Why aren't there any fences?"...

LMAO... never seen the show, but that is funny... I am guessing the ghost hunters aren't from around the mountain west?

uscitizen
08-21-2009, 02:46 PM
We drove from Durango to Gunnison, beautiful, but not a trip I would want to make in the winter! Son use to go boarding and it would scare me knowing he was driving those roads!

I have a Sister that lives in Durango.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
You would love Alaska! I was also in northern Cali and they seem to do a good deal of cycling there. Wine country would be beautiful to travel through!I'm sure it would. Though riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is as spectacular as it gets. The tail of the dragon would be a great ride too if the damned motorcycle weenies would get out of your way in descents. The nice thing about riding in the midwest, particularly Ohio is that every tertiary backwoods road is paved so you can get out of traffic and enjoy riding on descent roads. One with berms where you can get away from traffic and enjoy the ride. There's a lot to be said for that.

Damocles
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
LMAO... never seen the show, but that is funny... I am guessing the ghost hunters aren't from around the mountain west?
They are from Providence, RI...

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 02:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081015/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_bush_mountain_biking

Actually I'm purely a roadie so I don't have a dog in that fight.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
No, just poor uninsured Americans. I mean, geez. Get it right. And I don't care if fat cats get rich, so long as I do. Now shut up and ride your bike.LOL You got that right. Shut up and ride! LOL If you can talk, your not riding hard enough!

zappasguitar
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM

You want to do some serious bike riding and view some spectacular scenery, head out to the Western Slope and ride the Colorado National Monument. Just don't ride too close to the edge. And when you get to the top, make sure you get off and take a peek over the edge of Cold Shivers Point.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Thats a pretty good clip... roughly 26 mph or so???

and here you acted all '28 is fast'... friggin tryin to shark me.Naa that's just a hair over 24 mph and it was 10 years ago. I'd be lucky to do 40K in 18 to 19 mph now.

Cancel 2016.2
LOL You got that right. Shut up and ride! LOL If you can talk, your not riding hard enough!

Exactly

Damocles
You want to do some serious bike riding and view some spectacular scenery, head out to the Western Slope and ride the Colorado National Monument. Just don't ride too close to the edge. And when you get to the top, make sure you get off and take a peek over the edge of Cold Shivers Point.
One of the coolest well-traveled motorcycle rides is I-70 leaving Grand Junction. Spectacular views.

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Been all over the Western part of the state thanks to Ride the Rockies, but never made it to the Grand Junction area specifically. Might just have to make it a point to do so next year.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Look into Ride the Rockies. The route changes every year, so find one you like and sign up. You have to have your group picked in the lottery in order to participate, but I have the secret to that.... the ride breakdown is about 75% guys 25% women. Put a woman in your group and you always get 'picked'.

It is usually a 6 or 7 day ride covering about 400-450 miles. Totally awesome experience. The mountain town residents provide awesome support.I've always wanted to do a ride like that or GOBA or RAGBRAI. You should come out here and do TOSRV. Ever been in a 500 rider pace line? LOL It's an easy ride by enthusiast standards about a 3 to 5 on a scale of 1 -10 with 10 being the hardest but the comraderie and the pace lines are awesome.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
You guys are getting my travel bug up. I'd love to hike Denali.

zappasguitar
One of the coolest well-traveled motorcycle rides is I-70 leaving Grand Junction. Spectacular views.

I was going to ask you if you meant Eastbound or Westbound, then realized it didn't matter, both directions have amazing scenery.

Cancel 2016.2
Naa that's just a hair over 24 mph and it was 10 years ago. I'd be lucky to do 40K in 18 to 19 mph now.

40k is roughly 25.6 miles... so if ya did it in an hour... :)

Cancel5
08-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Just don't eat the berries! unless you have know what you are eating!

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Everyone says watch out for the bears... while that is true... also watch out for those crazy ass moose. We were hiking a trail and had to stop for about an hour as a friggin moose stood blocking the trail while its kid was playin near by. Thing was friggin HUGE.

zappasguitar
08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Been all over the Western part of the state thanks to Ride the Rockies, but never made it to the Grand Junction area specifically. Might just have to make it a point to do so next year.

If you've ever seen the movie American Flyers, they filmed a portion of the race in that movie on the Monument. You've got switchback after switchback. You climb probably 2500-3000 ft in a mile or two, towering sandstone canyons.

Damocles
08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
If you've ever seen the movie American Flyers, they filmed a portion of the race in that movie on the Monument. You've got switchback after switchback. You climb probably 2500-3000 ft in a mile or two, towering sandstone canyons.
Another great motorcycle ride...

Cancel 2016.2
08-21-2009, 03:04 PM

ok stop talking about it.... you are making me want to do it this year rather than next.... and I don't have any spare weekend left this summer/fall :D

Cancel5

Have you ever done Tahoe or the Grass Valley area?

Cancel 2016.2

take off the motor and EARN it. :D

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 03:13 PM
40k is roughly 25.6 miles... so if ya did it in an hour... :)Yea I was a USC Cat 3 back then (though I was old enough to be in Masters) but I was purely pack fodder at CAT 3. I did pretty good at Cat 4 and 5 and even won a couple of races at that level.

The one race I did win at Cat 4 was the Flat Land Flyer in Bytheville, Arkansas. Flatest route you ever saw. Only hill was an overpass on I-55. I was there on business and had been hill training in the central Ohio river valleys for months so I was about the only one in the field that hadn't been training in flat land. I smoked the field and rode the 50 mile course in 2:15. I played oppssum the first half until it was my turn to pull at the front, I did a pull for 10 minutes then attacked the field and did my one and only break away. The pack never caught me. I finished 10 minutes ahead of the 2nd place guy but, and I have to stress this, it was the weakest CAT 4 field I rode against. The asshole organizers pissed me off cause they only gave me an age group trophy even though I was the over all winner. Dumb asses forgot to buy a trophy for the over all winner and only had age group prizes. I was like "WTF, I thought this was a USCF race?"

I consider my best acheivement on a bike was time trialing 100 miles in under 5 hours. Granted it was flat to rolling roads with little to no wind but I was out there by myself, no stops, no one to draft with on a 90+ deg summer day. I was in the zone that day, it was one of the most awesome days of my life.

Mott the Hoople
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Another great motorcycle ride...One thing I got a kick out of that movie. On the race scenes when they show them changing gears to go faster, they are actually down shifting.