The “benefits” of global warming and melting icecaps
Yellowcake uranium
Sexual humiliation of detainees
Mobile biological weapons labs
Tora Bora
Stem cell research

Damocles
08-01-2006, 09:17 AM
You really never heard of Stem Cell Research before Bush became President? Wow.

Cypress
08-01-2006, 09:18 AM
You really never heard of Stem Cell Research before Bush became President? Wow.

The beneftis of Stem cell research wasn't isolated and identified until around 1998 or 1999. I may have been only vaguely aware of it in 2000.

Damocles
08-01-2006, 09:22 AM
The beneftis of Stem cell research wasn't isolated and identified until around 1998 or 1999. I may have been only vaguely aware of it in 2000.

I read about it in many a Sci-Fi novel previous to then. They seem to be ahead of the curve...

We were debating the benefits of it with a doctor friend of mine at a party over at a friend's house about a year before Bush started running. My wife and I are pretty much for it whole hog... He wasn't so much. He feared that unscrupulous people would begin harvesting eggs and creating embryos simply for research. That IVF doctors would have incentive to create "extras" to sell and a bunch of other stuff.

OrnotBitwise
08-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Presidential signing statements
Recess appointments
The Pet Goat
Evildoers
People who hate us for our freedoms

Cypress
08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I read about it in many a Sci-Fi novel previous to then. They seem to be ahead of the curve...

We were debating the benefits of it with a doctor friend of mine at a party over at a friend's house about a year before Bush started running. My wife and I are pretty much for it whole hog... He wasn't so much. He feared that unscrupulous people would begin harvesting eggs and creating embryos simply for research. That IVF doctors would have incentive to create "extras" to sell and a bunch of other stuff.

I think I was vaguely aware of stem cell research in 2000. But, I certainly had no clue about what it was in any detail. I rember being disturbed by Candidate Bush's hostility towards science and medical research: His opposition to Plan B contraception and stem cells I was vaguely aware of, and disturbed by.

Cypress
08-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Recess appointments
The Pet Goat
Evildoers

Good ones.

I'm trying to think of a word association that shines a postive light on bush.

I'm pretty much drawing a blank. Except for maybe Aceh. That indonesian island. Bush did Okay with the tsunami thing.

Damocles
08-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Recess appointments
The Pet Goat
Evildoers

Of this list, I'd say Signing Statements is the only one I had never heard of before Bush... And it was "My Pet Goat" that he was reading...

;)

BTW - Bill Clinton made 140 Recess Appointments over his two terms. Reagan made 243. George H.W. Bush made 77 during his one term.
Even George Washington used Recess Appointments appointing South Carolina Judge John Rutledge and Chief Justice during a Congressional Recess in 1795. Rutledge was later rejected by the Senate because of mental illness and his appointment lapsed. He later attempted suicide (Rutledge not Washington)...

OrnotBitwise
08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Of this list, I'd say Signing Statements is the only one I had never heard of before Bush... And it was "My Pet Goat" that he was reading...

;)

BTW - Bill Clinton made 140 Recess Appointments over his two terms. Reagan made 243. George H.W. Bush made 77 during his one term.
Even George Washington used Recess Appointments appointing South Carolina Judge John Rutledge and Chief Justice during a Congressional Recess in 1795. Rutledge was later rejected by the Senate because of mental illness and his appointment lapsed. He later attempted suicide (Rutledge not Washington)...
[Ornot puts on his Tarmac the Insufferable turban] Wrong, non-fat soy latte breath! It is an urban myth, a colloquial misquotation, that the title of the book is "My Pet Goat." Behold:
"The Pet Goat" (erroneously known as "My Pet Goat") is a children's story contained in the book Reading Mastery II: Storybook 1, by Siegfried Engelmann and Elaine C. Bruner (ISBN 0026863553). The book is part of the thirty-one volume Reading Mastery series published by the SRA Macmillan early-childhood education division of McGraw-Hill. It uses the direct instruction teaching style.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pet_Goat

Anyone want to buy a site admin? :D

As to the less important points, I had heard of recess appointments and signing statements before but they'd never been forced very far into my consciousness. Until recently.

Damocles
08-01-2006, 09:42 AM
[Ornot puts on his Tarmac the Insufferable turban] Wrong, non-fat soy latte breath! It is an urban myth, a colloquial misquotation, that the title of the book is "My Pet Goat." Behold:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pet_Goat

Anyone want to buy a site admin? :D

As to the less important points, I had heard of recess appointments and signing statements before but they'd never been forced very far into my consciousness. Until recently.

LOL. I had heard of Signing Statements, but never really had thought of them too... I'll give him that one, though.

If you were hardcore R in the Clinton Era you thought that Recess Appointments were of the Devil...

Care4all
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM

;)

yeah, but I wonder how many Presidents have made a recessed appointment of someone the Senate had already rejected....? That's what is pretty ballsy....of Bush.

In addition to this, recessed appoints had to be made in early on Presidencies because Congress was only in session a couple of months a year and if an OPENING HAPPENED while Congress was not in session, it was NECESSARY for the President to utilize his power....

The founding fathers probably never IMAGINED it being used the way it has the last few decades....imho!

care

Damocles
08-01-2006, 10:21 AM
yeah, but I wonder how many Presidents have made a recessed appointment of someone congress had already rejected....? That's what is pretty ballsy....of Bush.

George Washington. Bill Clinton... Two of them.

In addition to this recessed appoints had to be made in early on Presidencies because Congress was only in session a couple of months a year and if an OPENING HAPPENED while Congress was not in session, it was NECESSARY for the President to utilize it's power....

The founding fathers probably never IMAGINED it being used the way it has the last few decades....imho!

care
It was used by the Founding Fathers to appoint already Filibustered Judges regularly...

klaatu
08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
How about identifying POW's as detainees? ;)

Dixie - In Memoriam
08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
This thread demonstrates why pinheads are so ignorant. So far, not one thing listed is exclusive to this administration.

OrnotBitwise
08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
This thread demonstrates why pinheads are so ignorant. So far, not one thing listed is exclusive to this administration.
Do you want to explain it to him, cypress, or shall I?

bob
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
you never head of this ?

"Sexual humiliation of detainees"

Care4all
08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
George Washington. Bill Clinton... Two of them.

It was used by the Founding Fathers to appoint already Filibustered Judges regularly...
Really Damo?

I thought that the Republicans in the Senate said that filibustering a Presidential Judicial Nominee was UNPRECEDENTED, but now you are saying that it was common practice by our founding fathers....? I thought the republicans said our founding father's would be turning over in their grave if they saw that the filibuster was being used on Judicial Nominees and the republicans even threathened to use the NUCLEAR OPTION, if the democrats used it, which then lead to a compromise between a certain number of Senators from both side of the aisle?

I'm truely confused....?

Care

maineman
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Waterboarding no doubt the CIA has beenrun by assholes from time to time
Stress positions ditto
Fallujah - exclusive to this administration
Abu Ghraib exclusive to this administration
Intelligent Design exclusive to to religious fundie wackos
Terri Schiavo exclusive to this administration
The “benefits” of global warming and melting icecaps exclusive to this administration
Yellowcake uranium exclusive to this administration hype job to scare the shit out of the American people
Sexual humiliation of detainees I know of no instances of democratic administrations condoning this
Mobile biological weapons labs exclusive to this administration's dishonest snowjob to the UNSC
Tora Bora exclusive to this administration's attention deficit disorder and preference for outsourcing jobs
Stem cell researchexclusive to to religious fundie wackos

Cypress
08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
you never head of this ?

"Sexual humiliation of detainees"

No bob, I've never heard of american troops sexually abusing prisoners.

Damocles
08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Really Damo?

I thought that the Republicans in the Senate said that filibustering a Presidential Judicial Nominee was UNPRECEDENTED, but now you are saying that it was common practice by our founding fathers....? I thought the republicans said our founding father's would be turning over in their grave if they saw that the filibuster was being used on Judicial Nominees and the republicans even threathened to use the NUCLEAR OPTION, if the democrats used it, which then lead to a compromise between a certain number of Senators from both side of the aisle?

I'm truely confused....?

Care

Nope, not unprecedented. No filibuster was ever used for a SCOTUS nomination, except in one case...

Bill Clinton appointed Embassadors that had been filibustered as well as judges. No SCOTUS nominee had been filibustered but one in the past. That is what the Rs were stating...

Also the one that had been filibustered would never have been appointed, they did not have enough votes for it. The filibuster was to keep the vote away until after the election in the hopes a different man would nominate a different Judge...

bob
08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
No bob, I've never heard of american troops sexually abusing prisoners.

well you went that discripive befor hand, and i am sure that it has happened in the past wars, i do recall reading somthings about that in nam, but have nothing to show for it.

Cypress
A filibuster is just one way of preventing an "up or down" vote.

Republicans used other ways - which were effectively, the same - in preventing up or down votes on Clinton nominees.

Damocles
Sexual humiliation of detainees I know of no instances of democratic administrations condoning this

I also know of no instances of republican administrations condoning this and, in fact, those who have done it have been or are being brought to trial and punished....

bob
08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
well you went that discripive befor hand, and i am sure that it has happened in the past wars, i do recall reading somthings about that in nam, but have nothing to show for it.

plus, its much easier to report such thing today then it has been in the past

Damocles
08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
A filibuster is just one way of preventing an "up or down" vote.

Republicans used other ways - which were effectively, the same - in preventing up or down votes on Clinton nominees.

They also used filibusters... They filibustered an Embassador, actually only a small group of them did, because he was openly homosexual. Clinton later gave him a Recess appointment. He used them many times for many things...

maineman
08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
do you know of any "uncondoned occurrences" during any democratic administrations?

Damocles
08-01-2006, 11:52 AM
do you know of any "uncondoned occurrences" during any democratic administrations?

There were reported instances of this during the VN war... Bad guys do bad things even during Democratic Administrations.