PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood & The Lunar Landing

Minister of Truth
07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_sc/us_sci_moon_video

NASA lost moon footage, but Hollywood restores it

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein, Ap Science Writer – Thu Jul 16, 7:11 pm ET

WASHINGTON – NASA could put a man on the moon but didn't have the sense to keep the original video of the live TV transmission.

In an embarrassing acknowledgment, the space agency said Thursday that it must have erased the Apollo 11 moon footage years ago so that it could reuse the videotape.

But now Hollywood is coming to the rescue.

The studio wizards who restored "Casablanca" are digitally sharpening and cleaning up the ghostly, grainy footage of the moon landing, making it even better than what TV viewers saw on July 20, 1969. They are doing it by working from four copies that NASA scrounged from around the world.

Damocles
07-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Coolness. A better video of the moon landing.

charver
07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Coolness. A better video of the moon landing.

They can do better special effects now as well.

Damocles
07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I wonder if they used to have tape of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin spending hours trying to pound the flag into the nearly granite hard landing site...

The flag didn't expand all the way so it had the appearance of rolling in the wind (although it did sit still)....

Armstrong said he was more afraid of the flag falling over than he was of dying on the mission...

uscitizen
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
It will likely have Tom Cruise in it though.

Minister of Truth
07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
It will likely have Tom Cruise in it though.

Naw, Brad Pitt is the new Tom Cruise. That, and Tom is becoming ostracized for his bizarre behavior of recent years.

uscitizen
07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Brad Pitt is da pitz.
And so is Tom Cruise for that matter.

Isn't Brad a Scientologist too?

Damocles
07-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Brad Pitt is da pitz.

I don't think so.

ZappasGuitar
07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I wonder if they used to have tape of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin spending hours trying to pound the flag into the nearly granite hard landing site...

The flag didn't expand all the way so it had the appearance of rolling in the wind (although it did sit still)....

Armstrong said he was more afraid of the flag falling over than he was of dying on the mission...

The flag was waving because the whole thing was a fake!

Didn't you see Capricorn One?

Hollywood can make you believe ANYTHING!

Damocles
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Hollywood can make you believe ANYTHING!
LOL. :D

It didn't wave. It simply had some folds because the bar to hold it out didn't extend all the way. On accident NASA liked it so much that in the future landings they brought flags that were like it on purpose.

You will also note several more things. Dust doesn't kick up while the lander sets down. This is because dust kicks up because of air pushing against the dust when the rocket comes down, since there was no air there, dust stayed put.

cancel2 2022
07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
LOL. :D

It didn't wave. It simply had some folds because the bar to hold it out didn't extend all the way. On accident NASA liked it so much that in the future landings they brought flags that were like it on purpose.

You will also note several more things. Dust doesn't kick up while the lander sets down. This is because dust kicks up because of air pushing against the dust when the rocket comes down, since there was no air there, dust stayed put.

They have just stopped the funding of the Lunar Laser experiments in Texas after 40 years.

www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/21/mcdonald-observatory-space-laser-funding

egordon0315
07-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Brad Pitt's name has been brought up as a possible candidate for mayor of New Orleans. I guess it is because he has built all those green houses in a flood zone.

But anything is better than Naigan, I guess.

Brad Pitt is da pitz.

DamnYankee
07-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Hollywood can make you believe ANYTHING! I assume that you're joking. Here's a picture just released from NASA showing the lander recently:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/369440main_lroc_apollo11_lrg.jpg

ZappasGuitar
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I assume that you're joking. Here's a picture just released from NASA showing the lander recently:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/369440main_lroc_apollo11_lrg.jpg

Oh I know it was real...just doing my imersonation of one of the "black helicopter" squad.

Norman Paperman
07-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Oh I know it was real...just doing my imersonation of one of the "black helicopter" squad.

But Capricorn One was a good movie.

cancel2 2022
07-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't think so.

Actually he was a Scientologist when he was going out with Juliette Lewis but lost interest in both after a while.