PDA

View Full Version : Education

Cancel 2018. 3
07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
seems a few libs on this board are obsessed about education and think people with GED's are stupid simply because they took a GED or they think that just becuase they have a higher degree they're more intelligent...

anonymous poll

Topspin
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
one of my favorite topics cause I don't mind making a buck to support my family.

please check earnings levels for various degrees

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
one of my favorite topics cause I don't mind making a buck to support my family.

please check earnings levels for various degrees

Ae we checking for education or income?

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm in college but I don't have a degree. I suppose that's the difference between 'college' and 'graduate'? My education level really only counts as High School, though.

Topspin
07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
seems a few libs on this board are obsessed about education and think people with GED's are stupid simply because they took a GED or they think that just becuase they have a higher degree they're more intelligent...

anonymous poll

spurt do some reading intelligence generally goes up with education.:cof1:

Cancel 2018. 3
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

and what value or point do you intelligently hope to make by bashing those without secondary education? i've seen plenty of idiots with masters or jd's and plenty smart folks with only ged or high school....

simply bashing someone for lack of college or above is senseless and simple minded :)

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM

I have not seen any studies that show that intelligence goes up with post-secondary education.

Also, intelligence is not something you gain at college. You gain an aducation, but not intelligence.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I have not seen any studies that show that intelligence goes up with post-secondary education.

Also, intelligence is not something you gain at college. You gain an aducation, but not intelligence.

Actually, it's been proven that exercising your mind can improve your general intelligence.

Topspin
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM

ahh

ged's vs phd's

most laypeople consider education and intelligence the same thing
but jackoffs around here split hairs for a living.

Topspin
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
and what value or point do you intelligently hope to make by bashing those without secondary education? i've seen plenty of idiots with masters or jd's and plenty smart folks with only ged or high school....

simply bashing someone for lack of college or above is senseless and simple minded :)

becuase I'm laughing in your face for you feeling of inadequancy about not having the right degree.
The bringing up of the 1 in 1,000 is a sign of desparation.

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
ahh

ged's vs phd's

most laypeople consider education and intelligence the same thing
but jackoffs around here split hairs for a living.

Most people ithout an education might consider education and intelligence to be the same thing. But since I have an education I know that they are not.

And it is not splitting hairs.

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Actually, it's been proven that exercising your mind can improve your general intelligence.

Now that is accurate. But someone without an education can exercise their mind. And someone with an education can stop exercising their mind.

There is a difference between education and intelligence.

Topspin
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Now that is accurate. But someone without an education can exercise their mind. And someone with an education can stop exercising their mind.

so to you the phd is no more intelligent than the ged
I'm just saying your full of yourself and shit.:clink:

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Or at least that's one modern theory.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 02:32 PM

I can see what you're talking about if the degree was in literature or political science. But to get a science or math degree it's pretty much a requirement that you be very intelligent.

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 02:33 PM
so to you the phd is no more intelligent than the ged
I'm just saying your full of yourself and shit.:clink:

The average PhD is probably more intelligent that the average GED. But is that because they got an education or did they pursue their education because of their intelligence?

Exercising the mind keeps it sharp and makes it more able to think clearly. But education, as far as anything I have read, does not make a person more intelligent. And I do have a bachelors degree.

Thorn
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM

anonymous poll

Not at all. I was smart long before I went back to school for my doctorate. What further education did was help me focus reasoning, learn how best to research topics and organize my thoughts. It also gave me the opportunity to do what I really want to do. At that point, the networking that is essential to a professional life became an important advantage as well.

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I can see what you're talking about if the degree was in literature or political science. But to get a science or math degree it's pretty much a requirement that you be very intelligent.

I'm not sure thats true. But I would ask is the person intelligent because of the education, or did they get an education because they were intelligent?

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Not at all. I was smart long before I went back to school for my doctorate. What further education did was help me focus reasoning, learn how best to research topics and organize my thoughts. It also gave me the opportunity to do what I really want to do. At that point, the networking that is essential to a professional life became an important advantage as well.

Very well put. YOu said what I was fumbling around wuth.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-15-2009, 03:23 PM
becuase I'm laughing in your face for you feeling of inadequancy about not having the right degree.
The bringing up of the 1 in 1,000 is a sign of desparation.

i happen to enjoy my degree....and whoever said the 1/1000....not me...

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure thats true.

Anyone can get a degree in political science. A retard could ace it. Science and math is real education, and that's why everyone avoids it. It's tough shit.

But I would ask is the person intelligent because of the education, or did they get an education because they were intelligent?

Both.

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Anyone can get a degree in political science. A retard could ace it. Science and math is real education, and that's why everyone avoids it. It's tough shit.

Both.

Both? So they weren't intelligent before they got the degree in math or science? Thats hard to believe.

ib1yysguy
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
You don't have an option for dropouts like USFREEDOM911

Cancel 2018. 3
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM

i also didn't put an option for....still trying to finish 5th grade for posters like you....

ib1yysguy
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
i also didn't put an option for....still trying to finish 5th grade for posters like you....

Until you make your way out of the stupid posters club, reading you call anyone dumb will be HUH-LARIOUS.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Until you make your way out of the stupid posters club, reading you call anyone dumb will be HUH-LARIOUS.

^stupid post^ ^not funny^ ^boring^

you should really try and pass 5th grade before you try to be witty

ib1yysguy
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
^stupid post^ ^not funny^ ^boring^

you should really try and pass 5th grade before you try to be witty

ZOMG U CALLED ME NUT PHUNNY!

Retard.

uscitizen
07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
You left off Associate and Vocational.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
You left off Associate and Vocational.

can i edit the poll

uscitizen
07-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I dunno Damo or Mr. Infiniti can though.

maineman
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
The average PhD is probably more intelligent that the average GED. But is that because they got an education or did they pursue their education because of their intelligence?

Exercising the mind keeps it sharp and makes it more able to think clearly. But education, as far as anything I have read, does not make a person more intelligent. And I do have a bachelors degree.

it undoubtedly does make them more learned, however. And if learning things increases our ability to understand things and discern patterns in things, and to compare things to things we have learned, then education does improve one's ability to effectively apply one's innate intelligence.

uscitizen
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
it undoubtedly does make them more learned, however. And if learning things increases our ability to understand things and discern patterns in things, and to compare things to things we have learned, then education does improve one's ability to effectively apply one's innate intelligence.

It did not work for topper.

WinterBorn
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM

When I learned to go online and do research I expanded my knowledge. I have also expanded my ability to express my ideas online.

But my intelligence is basically the same. The innate ability to apply knowledge is the basic definition of intelligence. Gaining more knowledge does not fundamentally change that.

Anyone with plenty of life experience knows very educated idiots and very smart people with little formal education.

Socrtease
07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I guess my only problem here is JD is NOT the equivilent of a Ph. D or an MD. We are a professional degree that only requires 3 years and some of us can even do it in 2.5.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
can i edit the poll

Yes, ask Damo, Grind, or Soc and they'll do it.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I guess my only problem here is JD is NOT the equivilent of a Ph. D or an MD. We are a professional degree that only requires 3 years and some of us can even do it in 2.5.

How much does a normal Ph. D (in, for instance, physics (because that's what I'm pursuing)) take?

Please excuse my double parentheses. :(

Beefy
07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
How much does a normal Ph. D (in, for instance, physics (because that's what I'm pursuing)) take?

Are you really going to pursue a PhD in physics? If so, that's awesome. Its what I would have done before I discovered the pleasures of alcohol and drugs.

I would suggest either the micro or macro. Quantum mechanics is the future of technology if you supplement it with engineering, and Astrophysics is the future of the space age, again, engineering.

Or are you going to be one of those guys who shows diagrams of balls falling to the ground at the same pace whether moving laterally or not? IE, a professor.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Are you really going to pursue a PhD in physics? If so, that's awesome. Its what I would have done before I discovered the pleasures of alcohol and drugs.

I would suggest either the micro or macro. Quantum mechanics is the future of technology if you supplement it with engineering, and Astrophysics is the future of the space age, again, engineering.

Or are you going to be one of those guys who shows diagrams of balls falling to the ground at the same pace whether moving laterally or not? IE, a professor.

I recently changed my mind as to which degree I'm going to pursue. I was going for an Engineering/English degree. Now I'm going for Engineering/Physics. I really want to specialize in astrophysics, because that's what's always captured my imagination. But money could persuade me otherwise.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
And I have discovered alcohol, I'm on it right now (that's why I'm including so much parentheses, I only do it when I'm drunk). But Stephen Hawking drank a lot too (before he sort of got a neuromuscular disease), eh?

Hopefully, women just continue to refuse to sleep with me, and I'll be fine.

Thorn
07-15-2009, 11:47 PM
It all depends on your research project; how well it goes, how long each section takes to complete, whether or not your committee feels you've done enough to make a significant contribution to your field, etc., etc.

In physics a reasonable estimate could be that it would take you about five years. Depending upon where you go and what your project is. Other requirements are more fluid -- course requirements at this level generally are relatively minimal but other things like your qualifying exams and comprehensives, which vary from department to department, never mind institution to institution, may take more or less time. Then you'll also probably be involved in teaching undergraduates or acting as a teaching assistant. Frankly I learned more about statistics in depth by teaching it.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
It all depends on your research project; how well it goes, how long each section takes to complete, whether or not your committee feels you've done enough to make a significant contribution to your field, etc., etc.

In physics a reasonable estimate could be that it would take you about five years. Depending upon where you go and what your project is. Other requirements are more fluid -- course requirements at this level generally are relatively minimal but other things like your qualifying exams and comprehensives, which vary from department to department, never mind institution to institution, may take more or less time. Then you'll also probably be involved in teaching undergraduates or acting as a teaching assistant. Frankly I learned more about statistics in depth by teaching it.

Well, I could probably make more money just on engineering without even having to go PH.D, which is why I'm hesitant about it, even though I love astrophysics. But I have a couple of years to decide.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
What really changed my mind was that I recently listened to 40 45 minute lectures on Astronomy by Alex Filippenko from the learning company (yeah, I pirated it), and I was amazed at all the things in there, and all the things yet to be discovered. I wanted to be a part of that much more than making lots of money designing excellent productivity software.

Piracy changed my life. Just let that be a lesson to your children.

Cancel5
07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
And I have discovered alcohol, I'm on it right now (that's why I'm including so much parentheses, I only do it when I'm drunk). But Stephen Hawking drank a lot too (before he sort of got a neuromuscular disease), eh?

Hopefully, women just continue to refuse to sleep with me, and I'll be fine.

Yeah, keep away from sex, it can make you crazy at times!

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, keep away from sex, it can make you crazy at times!

Sex keeps away from me, I don't keep away from sex.

Cancel5
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Sex keeps away from me, I don't keep away from sex.

Sub-conscientiously you must not send out signals.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Sub-conscientiously you must not send out signals.

Possible.

USFREEDOM911
07-16-2009, 02:33 AM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!
What's the matter, IB1dumbassguy??

Have I been ignoring you and you feel left out??

Sorry bitch; but I've moved on.

:rofl:

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 02:40 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!
What's the matter, IB1dumbassguy??

Have I been ignoring you and you feel left out??

Sorry bitch; but I've moved on.

:rofl:

It's a good step that you've moved on from IB1's lovin... maybe eventually you'll even get over him.

USFREEDOM911
07-16-2009, 02:41 AM
It's a good step that you've moved on from IB1's lovin... maybe eventually you'll even get over him.

He does suck dick, better then most liberals.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 02:51 AM
He does suck dick, better then most liberals.

I know, USF, but YOU'RE BETTER THAN HIM! You don't need him to be happy! It's better to just continue with your life and not obsess over him all the time! It's over now.

Minister of Truth
07-16-2009, 04:07 AM

I ran into a guy on a layover in Minneapolis the other day when I was returning home from Milwaukee. He had an MS in engineering and teaches applied physics, among other jobs. One thing he does is train cops to investigate car accidents, and he was flying out to northern Maine (Ft. something) because some rich parents of a guy killed in an accident wanted an expert to review the local police investigation so they can know what went down and who was really at fault, etc.

The cool thing about Engineering and Business deptartments at colleges is that the professors all have real-world experience while the other departments generally don't...

maineman
07-16-2009, 04:49 AM

that can be explained completely by examining the justifiably fragile ego of the thread's originator!:cof1:

Damocles
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Juris Doctorate is the equivalent of a Masters Degree, not a PhD.

Damocles
07-16-2009, 09:18 AM
can i edit the poll
I think I've got it...

Cancel 2018. 3
07-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Juris Doctorate is the equivalent of a Masters Degree, not a PhD.

soc is right, but it is not the equivalent of a masters....it is called a doctorate, i asked professors the difference and i never got a good answer, other than lawyers will do anything to make their degree seem better :cof1:

but i've always been told it is higher than a masters, not quite a phd, but still a doctorate....which is above a masters....i put a slash just to make a quick poll, i wasn't being technical as can be seen i didn't even put all degrees...

if you really want to be technically accurate, you need to put a seperate section for doctorate and phd becuase they are not the same as you can get a doctorate in psych and it is not a phd....so, a JD is a true doctorate and not a masters.

DamnYankee
07-16-2009, 10:57 AM

Topspin has proven his simple mindedness many times with his elitism here. When that fails, as it did with me, his next tactic is to call your spouse or daughter a slut.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
i quickly googled it...

while it is true that all phds are doctorates, not all doctorates are phds....and the ABA considers the JD a doctorate (above a masters) and in some states JDs can call themselves drs....

Topspin
07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Topspin has proven his simple mindedness many times with his elitism here. When that fails, as it did with me, his next tactic is to call your spouse or daughter a slut.

I've proven over and again your a narrow minded baffoon.

uscitizen
07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I've proven over and again you're a narrow minded baffoon.

Fixed that for ya, college boy.

DamnYankee
07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I've proven over and again your[sic] a narrow minded baffoon[sic].
Where?

Cancel 2018. 3
07-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I've proven over and again your a narrow minded baffoon.

spintop.....lmao at your educated grammar and spelling

Topspin
07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
spintop.....lmao at your educated grammar and spelling

Never could spell
I'm a numbers guy
as in salary and capital gains
if you want to lame at a buck 25 and a third of that in investment income then have at it.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Never could spell
I'm a numbers guy
if you want to lame at a buck 25 and a third of that in investment income then have at it.

i'm only messing with you because you make such a big deal about education necessarily equals intelligent and here you are making excuses for yourself....

:cof1:

DamnYankee
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
spintop.....lmao at your educated grammar and spelling On top of his baseless allegations and self flagellation: priceless. LOL.

Topspin
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
i'm only messing with you because you make such a big deal about education necessarily equals intelligent and here you are making excuses for yourself....

:cof1:

you guys mist the point of pushing education

I'm doing it to say look you can make more
not look at me I'm so smart. I was born slightly more than dirt poor and am not safely upper middle, that's my gig.
Plus getting the two degrees has me in ac in an office working half the day for 2.5x meadian wage.
When I was preaching that to my son on the drive up to wisconson, he says dad the roofing job is waiting for me if I fail.
that's all I'm doing besides the obvious razzing

Mott the Hoople
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about intelligence and education. They are not equivelent. Intelligence is a measure of inborn cognitive ability. One's basic intelligence does not change much over the course of ones life. It's how one uses their intelligence to become educated that matters. Advanced educations do not correalate with higher intelligence but do correalate with financial and/or career success.

Mott the Hoople
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm in college but I don't have a degree. I suppose that's the difference between 'college' and 'graduate'? My education level really only counts as High School, though.
I think he was refering to someone with a graduate level education (i.e. MS, MBA, MFA, PhD, MD,JD, etc.).

Mott the Hoople
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
There is some truth to that. I don't think anyone would argue that earning a BS in Chemical Engineering is more demanding and difficult to earn than a MS in Sociology. Having said that, higher intelligence can be off-set by work ethic.

BTW, I'm a former member of MENSA (IQ = 136). I quit because the group was a bunch of nerdy dweebs who sat around and whined and bitched about their lack of financial success, while at the same time looking down their noses at those who were more succesful, albeit less intelligent. Most meetings were consumed by trying to impress people with how someone had solved a very difficult but meaningless puzzle or describing the fantasy lands/characters they'd created playing dungeons and dragons. It was more than boring. It was a waste of my time.

Thorn
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
There is some truth to that. I don't think anyone would argue that earning a BS in Chemical Engineering is more demanding and difficult to earn than a MS in Sociology. Having said that, higher intelligence can be off-set by work ethic.

BTW, I'm a former member of MENSA (IQ = 136). I quit because the group was a bunch of nerdy dweebs who sat around and whined and bitched about their lack of financial success, while at the same time looking down their noses at those who were more succesful, albeit less intelligent. Most meetings were consumed by trying to impress people with how someone had solved a very difficult but meaningless puzzle or describing the fantasy lands/characters they'd created playing dungeons and dragons. It was more than boring. It was a waste of my time.

I thought the same thing; people who seemed to need to convince themselves of their superiority, but not by accomplishing anything worthwhile. Really they don't seem even to pat each other on the back, just their own needy selves. Boring is right!

Whomever
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Never could spell
I'm a numbers guy

It is not spelling but often using the wrong word with you.

Whomever
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I thought the same thing; people who seemed to need to convince themselves of their superiority, but not by accomplishing anything worthwhile. Really they don't seem even to pat each other on the back, just their own needy selves. Boring is right!

I took their test and qualified, but did not want to be associated with the smug bastiges. Joined DENSA instead. Much more human folks.

Whomever
07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
" you guys mist the point of pushing education "

LOL

Topspin
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
GED

Thorn
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I took their test and qualified, but did not want to be associated with the smug bastiges. Joined DENSA instead. Much more human folks.

I took the test just for grins, and because I was curious. Besides I like logic problems anyway so it was recreation. I thought the score was perhaps a mite inflated and that they must be eager to expand their membership, or get more fees, or something. One of our faculty was a member; that gave me enough insight into the group to realize that I'd rather keep the friends I have, thanks.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I'd never join Mensa, they're a bunch of pretentious douchbags. IQ is important but it's not all important.

I don't think I'm qualified, though. From my ACT scores (very shaky measure, I know) I think I'm probably in the top 80% for intelligence, not 98%.

ib1yysguy
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
There's still no option for dropouts.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
There's still no option for dropouts.

pm damo and see if he will add your selection so you can click something....

FUCK THE POLICE
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about intelligence and education. They are not equivelent. Intelligence is a measure of inborn cognitive ability. One's basic intelligence does not change much over the course of ones life. It's how one uses their intelligence to become educated that matters. Advanced educations do not correalate with higher intelligence but do correalate with financial and/or career success.

It doesn't correlate? You have statistics to prove that?

And recent research suggests that intelligence does change over life time.

Beefy
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I'd never join Mensa, they're a bunch of pretentious douchbags. IQ is important but it's not all important.

I don't think I'm qualified, though. From my ACT scores (very shaky measure, I know) I think I'm probably in the top 80% for intelligence, not 98%.

LOL

Beyond pretentious. Its the "my IQ as said test determines is higher than yours, thus I'm a superior strategist and tactician in life" crowd.

BRUTALITOPS
07-17-2009, 02:09 AM
you wouldn't be saying that if you could get into mensa o_O

USFREEDOM911
07-17-2009, 02:20 AM
I know, USF, but YOU'RE BETTER THAN HIM! You don't need him to be happy! It's better to just continue with your life and not obsess over him all the time! It's over now.

DAMN, was that the best you could come up with.
I'm sorry that I spoke badly, about your life partner, waterstain.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-17-2009, 02:24 AM
DAMN, was that the best you could come up with.
I'm sorry that I spoke badly, about your life partner, waterstain.

Water doesn't generally stain.

USFREEDOM911
07-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Water doesn't generally stain.

And with that statement, you are once again pwnd.

Don't you ever get tired of being the bitch of so many different posters??

DamnYankee
07-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Water doesn't generally stain.Urine does. *shrug*

Minister of Truth
07-17-2009, 11:16 AM

In other words, I'm screwed...

FUCK THE POLICE
07-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey infinity, please change my name to "pisstain". TY.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, I could probably make more money just on engineering without even having to go PH.D, which is why I'm hesitant about it, even though I love astrophysics. But I have a couple of years to decide.I would consider stuyding materials engineering. If you want to make the big money, go for an ME and then find a reputable PE to take you under his wing. Earning you're PE credential is probably as demanding as earning your PhD but has the distinct advantage of being able to earn a decent living while you prepare for the PE exam.

If I was to do my education again, considering my experience in recycling, I would go for a BS in Material Science/Engineering and an MBA in project management. Having said that, my BA in Bio and my MS in EH&S Mgt has served me well.

DamnYankee
07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
...Earning you're PE credential is probably as demanding as earning your PhD ..... Thank you for that endorsement. I have mine in three states, including New York. :pke:

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Sex keeps away from me, I don't keep away from sex.If you're not getting sex here's some sure fire, can't miss advise that will get you laid very regularly.

#1. Go crazy. Women can't resist wacked out crazy nutjobs. You should see all the women hanging off of Dixie!! Better, yet. Become a musician or a preacher and then go crazy. You'll have more women and sex then you'll know what to do with.

#2. Earn lots and lots of money. Women love men with money.

#3. Talk to a bunch of women and ask them what behavior they find irresistably sexy in a man, then do the exact opposite.

#4. Buy a big Harley. Women love riding on Harleys.

#5. Work out at the gym a lot. Women like fit men. If women tell you that they are not attracted to muscular men, see item #3.

#6. Watch soap operas. See the male characters? Never behave as they do. Their not men. Their women with testicles.

#6. Lie about your major at college (see item #1). Never tell them your a physics or engineering or accounting major. Tell them your majoring in Afican American Studies (But only if your white) or English Literature or Womens Studies.

#7. Women love and need drama. Give them what they need. Be a drama queen, even if your only acting (just don't let them know your acting).

#8. Never, ever act intelligent around women. If a woman your interested in is engaged in an intellectual conversaton discipline your self and refrain from contributing. Instead, do your best Al Bundy imitation. Stare off into space, look incredibly bored and put one hand down your pants (or pick ear wax out of your ear.). It will feed into the "weak mind, strong back" stereotype many women have about men.

#9. If the above fails as a last ditch effort pretend to be gay. Women love thinking the can convert or reform a gay man. This approach has been known to work but has a serious draw back. You may end up having sex but your partner might have a mustache.

If all this fails, don't even try a hooker. If your that big a loser they won't be interested in you either.

charver
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
If you're not getting sex here's some sure fire, can't miss advise that will get you laid very regularly.

#1. Go crazy. Women can't resist wacked out crazy nutjobs. You should see all the women hanging off of Dixie!! Better, yet. Become a musician and then go crazy. You'll have more women and sex then you'll know what to do with.

#3. Talk to a bunch of women and ask them what behavior they find irresistably sexy in a man, then do the exact opposite.

#5. Work out at the gym a lot. Women like fit men. If women tell you that they are not attracted to muscular men, see item #3.

#6. Watch soap operas. See the male characters? Never behave as they do. Their not men. Their women with testicles.

#6. Lie about your major at college (see item #1). Never tell them your a physics or engineering or accounting major. Tell them your majoring in Afican American Studies (But only if your white) or English Literature or Womens Studies.

#7. Women love and need drama. Give them what they need. Be a drama queen, even if your only acting (just don't let them know your acting).

#8. Never, ever act intelligent around women. If a woman your interested in is engaged in an intellectual conversaton discipline your self and refrain from contributing. Instead, do your best Al Bundy imitation. Stare off into space, look incredibly bored and put one hand down your pants (or pick ear wax out of your ear.). It will feed into the "weak mind, strong back" stereotype many women have about men.

If all this fails, don't even try a hooker. If your that big a loser they won't be interested in you either.

Someone will be along shortly to accuse you of plagiarism, Mott.

Until then, just make yourself as comfortable as possible.

Thank you.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Thank you for that endorsement. I have mine in three states, including New York. :pke:
Congrats. I know how difficult that is to earn.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, I could probably make more money just on engineering without even having to go PH.D, which is why I'm hesitant about it, even though I love astrophysics. But I have a couple of years to decide.

depends on what engineering....have a good friend who is a computer engineer and he wishes he would have gone for the masters and in fact is thinking of doing it now as those with masters are making a chunk of chaching above him....

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:24 PM
you wouldn't be saying that if you could get into mensa o_OI've got into MENSA and I've gotten into some real sleaze bag go-go bars. I found the sleaze bag go-go bars vastly more rewarding.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:26 PM
In other words, I'm screwed...Naaa, intelligence is over rated. Work hard, live well and if you can make a living from doing something you enjoy you got it dicked. The world will be your oyster and if anyone tells you other wise laugh in their face. The best revenge is to live well.

Thorn
07-17-2009, 02:32 PM
I've got into MENSA and I've gotten into some real sleaze bag go-go bars. I found the sleaze bag go-go bars vastly more rewarding.

LOL! I think that taking the Mensa test is simply an exercise in confirming something we already know; truly of all who have admitted taking it, who thought for a moment that we wouldn't make the grade?

Perhaps initially, 'way back when it was first formed, the concept may (emphasis on the may) have had some merit; people with presumably like or comparable interests and abilities challenging one another and growing from that or something. I can't see that persisting, though, simply through the nature of the organization.

As you said, too many other things (my dog club for one) are a lot more fun.

DamnYankee
07-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Congrats. I know how difficult that is to earn.
Actually I found the 2nd 8-hour portion of the exam to be quite easy. The first 8-hour portion was difficult but not nearly as difficult as obtaining admission into part two. New York State has a building full of bean counters who comb over every inch of your application and turn down stuff for ridiculous reasons. After fighting with them for four years they finally granted me the privilege of taking the exam, and I promptly kick their asses with it, leaving almost an hour early for a lunch break and almost two hours early for the afternoon sub-part.

The Southern Man triumphs over the bureaucrats.

Thorn
07-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Naaa, intelligence is over rated. Work hard, live well and if you can make a living from doing something you enjoy you got it dicked. The world will be your oyster and if anyone tells you other wise laugh in their face. The best revenge is to live well.

Totally right.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Someone will be along shortly to accuse you of plagiarism, Mott.

Until then, just make yourself as comfortable as possible.

Thank you.
Well though these tried and true methods are hardly my original ideas, plagarism? That's kinda harsh, don'tcha think?

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
LOL! I think that taking the Mensa test is simply an exercise in confirming something we already know; truly of all who have admitted taking it, who thought for a moment that we wouldn't make the grade?

Perhaps initially, 'way back when it was first formed, the concept may (emphasis on the may) have had some merit; people with presumably like or comparable interests and abilities challenging one another and growing from that or something. I can't see that persisting, though, simply through the nature of the organization.

As you said, too many other things (my dog club for one) are a lot more fun.That was exactly what I was thinking when I took it. Can I make the grade? I did, needless to say it was very anticlimactic. I was so dissapointed.

charver
07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Well though these tried and true methods are hardly my original ideas, plagarism? That's kinda harsh, don'tcha think?

Do you not keep up with the other threads, Mott?

I shall have to chastise you in future if you carry on this tardiness, young man.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Actually I found the 2nd 8-hour portion of the exam to be quite easy. The first 8-hour portion was difficult but not nearly as difficult as obtaining admission into part two. New York State has a building full of bean counters who comb over every inch of your application and turn down stuff for ridiculous reasons. After fighting with them for four years they finally granted me the privilege of taking the exam, and I promptly kick their asses with it, leaving almost an hour early for a lunch break and almost two hours early for the afternoon sub-part.

The Southern Man triumphs over the bureaucrats.I had wanted to get into my fields equivelant of a registered PE but I never could find a CIH to take me under their wing. To do it now, even if I could find a CIH to apprentice with would require that I take about a 50% cut in pay for 3 years. I'm not inclined to do that now.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Do you not keep up with the other threads, Mott?

I shall have to chastise you in future if you carry on this tardiness, young man.
I can't. I"m at work! LOL

charver
07-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I can't. I"m at work! LOL

What is more important here - so-called "work" or pointless internet banter?

I think we all know the answer to that, don't we?

Cancel5
07-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Possible.

So start scenting, baby!

Cancel5
07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
If you're not getting sex here's some sure fire, can't miss advise that will get you laid very regularly.

#1. Go crazy. Women can't resist wacked out crazy nutjobs. You should see all the women hanging off of Dixie!! Better, yet. Become a musician or a preacher and then go crazy. You'll have more women and sex then you'll know what to do with.

#9. If the above fails as a last ditch effort pretend to be gay. Women love thinking the can convert or reform a gay man. This approach has been known to work but has a serious draw back. You may end up having sex but your partner might have a mustache.

I am dying, here, but it is so true, women love the bad boys! Until they want to get married, then they look for the "other" guys...

Cypress
07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
How's tinfoil going to vote in this poll? there's no choice for middle school drop out

FUCK THE POLICE
07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I am dying, here, but it is so true, women love the bad boys! Until they want to get married, then they look for the "other" guys...

I'm a pretty interesting mix of asshole and nice, IMHO. The worst parts of both worlds.

LadyT
07-17-2009, 03:45 PM
How's tinfoil going to vote in this poll? there's no choice for middle school drop out

haha -nice....

But isn't Masters the same as Graduate?

DamnYankee
07-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I had wanted to get into my fields equivelant of a registered PE but I never could find a CIH to take me under their wing. To do it now, even if I could find a CIH to apprentice with would require that I take about a 50% cut in pay for 3 years. I'm not inclined to do that now. That is a problem. For me I had advanced within my company to managing several other Engineers in Training and of course put that as part of my required four years' experience. The bureaucrats in New York jumped all over that since they saw it as not "principles and practice" of engineering. Those stupid fucks. So I had to wait several more years then wrote an addendum that used the words "calculate, principles, practice" over and over and eliminated the words "management, supervision, and oversight".

When I practiced in CT prior to that time the licensing board was not nearly as bureaucratic. I called their office and got a return call from the Director, who told me that he'd accept all my time as a co-op student, and the year or so that I took off school to make some money.

So it all depends on what State that you are in. It might be worth calling the director and asking him if there is any flexibility in the system.

I used to work with some guys who resorted to applying in neighboring states who had the reputation for an easy application process, then they'd apply for comity in their home state.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm a pretty interesting mix of asshole and nice, IMHO. The worst parts of both worlds.OH being yourself is the last thing you want to do. Look where it's got you so far? A hot date with Sally Thumb and her four sisters and a dated issue of Natonial Geographic. Dude! You have to get your priorities straight. If you want to be Prom Queen, be your self. If you want to get laid, follow my advice!! Also, and you've probably all ready heard this, If your on a dinner date and she's say's "You're my best friend" or "You're like a brother to me", promptly make a pass at the waitress or throw up in her lap. You're not going to get laid anyways so you might as well have some fun.

Mott the Hoople
07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
That is a problem. For me I had advanced within my company to managing several other Engineers in Training and of course put that as part of my required four years' experience. The bureaucrats in New York jumped all over that since they saw it as not "principles and practice" of engineering. Those stupid fucks. So I had to wait several more years then wrote an addendum that used the words "calculate, principles, practice" over and over and eliminated the words "management, supervision, and oversight".

When I practiced in CT prior to that time the licensing board was not nearly as bureaucratic. I called their office and got a return call from the Director, who told me that he'd accept all my time as a co-op student, and the year or so that I took off school to make some money.

So it all depends on what State that you are in. It might be worth calling the director and asking him if there is any flexibility in the system.

I used to work with some guys who resorted to applying in neighboring states who had the reputation for an easy application process, then they'd apply for comity in their home state.That's really the major difficulity in becoming a CIH is the apprenticeship or "CIH in Training". About the only organizations with more than one CIH is the Government. I've managed enough government contracts to know I don't want to work for them.

DamnYankee
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
That's really the major difficulity in becoming a CIH is the apprenticeship or "CIH in Training". About the only organizations with more than one CIH is the Government. I've managed enough government contracts to know I don't want to work for them.
I worked for State government for exactly one year.

Beefy
07-17-2009, 08:34 PM
you wouldn't be saying that if you could get into mensa o_O

Actually, I know it first hand because I used to be a member. Worst. Club. Ever.

Whomever
07-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Nice guys finish last. They usually wind up being the next husband that helps raise the bad boys children from the first marriage.

WinterBorn
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM

The boy doesn't want to get married, Froggy. He just wants to get a little, wet his wick, play hide-the-salami, do the horizontal mambo......

Ok, I'll stop now.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-17-2009, 10:47 PM
OH being yourself is the last thing you want to do. Look where it's got you so far? A hot date with Sally Thumb and her four sisters and a dated issue of Natonial Geographic. Dude! You have to get your priorities straight. If you want to be Prom Queen, be your self. If you want to get laid, follow my advice!! Also, and you've probably all ready heard this, If your on a dinner date and she's say's "You're my best friend" or "You're like a brother to me", promptly make a pass at the waitress or throw up in her lap. You're not going to get laid anyways so you might as well have some fun.

Mottley, I would rather take a shotgun blast to the chest than take any of your shitty advice.

No offense.

Mott the Hoople
07-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Actually, I know it first hand because I used to be a member. Worst. Club. Ever.Naaa, that's the KKK, MENSA aint that bad. It's just boring. A bunch of highly intelligent people who don't organize their talents to do something productive (yawn).

Mott the Hoople
07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Mottley, I would rather take a shotgun blast to the chest than take any of your shitty advice.

No offense.Well then quit whining about not getting laid. Besides, it's not my shitty advice. These are time tested and true principles. Though you may have a point. I have no doubt that taking a shotgun blast to the chest would seriously impress a date so you may be onto something.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Well then quit whining about not getting laid. Besides, it's not my shitty advice. These are time tested and true principles. Though you may have a point. I have no doubt that taking a shotgun blast to the chest would seriously impress a date so you may be onto something.

LOL

FUCK THE POLICE
07-18-2009, 07:36 PM
The primary thing I've learned about advice for getting laid is not to listen to any of it. There's no step-by-step method for getting laid. People don't work like that. Any time you try someone's advice, it's going to turn out terribly.

Mott the Hoople
07-18-2009, 07:47 PM
The primary thing I've learned about advice for getting laid is not to listen to any of it. There's no step-by-step method for getting laid. People don't work like that. Any time you try someone's advice, it's going to turn out terribly.Have you tried going crazy yet? Having lots of money works well too but is much harder to do (or fake).

uscitizen
07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
The primary thing I've learned about advice for getting laid is not to listen to any of it. There's no step-by-step method for getting laid. People don't work like that. Any time you try someone's advice, it's going to turn out terribly.

LOL. Get back to me in about 15-20 years.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Have you tried going crazy yet?

I don't have to worry about that, Mott.

Cancel 2018. 3
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e32/Wendella1/Wendy/TheDangersofMasterbation.jpg

FUCK THE POLICE
07-18-2009, 08:32 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e32/Wendella1/Wendy/TheDangersofMasterbation.jpg

You could've asked me and I would've photoshopped my face on.