PDA

View Full Version : The Dog we are adopting...

Damocles
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
http://photos.petfinder.com/fotos/CO171/CO171.14098733-1-x.jpg

She's a 1 year old German Shepherd.

Her name is Nyla.

So far we don't know too much about her, she's sweet and energetic, not aggressive and not shy. She likes other dogs, but she has yet to meet our cat.

I don't know when we'll be able to take her home, but the family is very excited..

:D

Mott the Hoople
07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Does she eat liberals?

Thorn
07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
She's lovely, Damo, congratulations! Will you take her for basic Household training? I've found that it really helps to establish a bond between dog and human.

Damocles
07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Does she eat liberals?
Come on over, we'll ask.

Thorn
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Do you already have a female (canine) at home? You might run into some dominance situations that will have to be resolved. Patience and kindness (and the right approach) nearly always work.

Damocles
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Do you already have a female (canine) at home? You might run into some dominance situations that will have to be resolved. Patience and kindness (and the right approach) nearly always work.
We have two, but they are both passive dogs who roll over when introduced to any other dog. I don't foresee much issue with them, but if there is we'll work our way through them. We have much patience or we'd have given up on the Mouth...

charver
07-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Excellent pointy ears. :D

However, i can't help noticing that the little lady is missing a rather important item.

I hope you will be remedying that situation with considerable haste.

Blackwater Lunchbreak
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Excellent pointy ears. :D

However, i can't help noticing that the little lady is missing a rather important item.

I hope you will be remedying that situation with considerable haste.

A parasol? What? i don't get it, but I want to!

Damocles
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, unfortunately we'll have to wait until she gets home to fit her with a new chapeau...

Annie
07-10-2009, 09:51 AM
What a lovely dog!

Blackwater Lunchbreak
07-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Nyla must be a french name, thus, it needs a hat? am I close?

meme
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Good on you adopting Damo..I love German Shepherds..she looks like she will be a great addition to your family..

Blackwater Lunchbreak
07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Does that type of dog commonly wear a hat?

DamnYankee
07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Good luck with the cat relationship. I adopted my dog 7 years ago and we still have to keep them separated otherwise they'll fight like- well, you know.

Damocles
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Good luck with the cat relationship. I adopted my dog 7 years ago and we still have to keep them separated otherwise they'll fight like- well, you know.
Currently our cat and dogs get along well. I hope that will continue.

Damocles
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Good on you adopting Damo..I love German Shepherds..she looks like she will be a great addition to your family..
Yeah, we're really very excited. She's such a good-looking GSD and has the right temperament for our family.

DamnYankee
07-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Currently our cat and dogs get along well. I hope that will continue. When we got the dog my vet said that in a few months they'd get along well- he was wrong. These two truly hate each other.

Mott the Hoople
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, we're really very excited. She's such a good-looking GSD and has the right temperament for our family.

Just remember, Sheps tend to be very territorial. There great with immeadiate family but can be aggresive towards friends and other visitors. That's one thing I loved about my lab. He had outstanding judgement. If a strager showed up at my door and my Lab was cool with it inevitably they were ok but if he was aggresive towards them he was always in the right.

Minister of Truth
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Always remember to adopt a dog that can help the government do its job.

http://bighoneydog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/mafdog-searching2.jpg

LadyT
07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
AWWWWWWW how cute!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get updates!!!!!

Tell your family congratulations!

Damocles
07-10-2009, 05:24 PM
AWWWWWWW how cute!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get updates!!!!!

Tell your family congratulations!
We're going to go and meet her this weekend, she's up in Fort Collins which is quite a drive for us, but we'll bring our lab to see if she can keep up with Nyla...

LadyT
07-11-2009, 08:17 AM
We're going to go and meet her this weekend, she's up in Fort Collins which is quite a drive for us, but we'll bring our lab to see if she can keep up with Nyla...

Awwwwww its so fun getting a new dog.

But, Mott is right about shepards they are very territorial. If you have kids and their friends come over, you need to be extra careful and ensure that its trained very well.

BRUTALITOPS
07-11-2009, 04:53 PM
seems kinda ugly

BRUTALITOPS
07-11-2009, 04:53 PM
if i had to make a show about dogs that were retarded, I would use that dog. He has the look.

Damocles
07-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Awwwwww its so fun getting a new dog.

But, Mott is right about shepards they are very territorial. If you have kids and their friends come over, you need to be extra careful and ensure that its trained very well.
Yeah, I know that I am basically putting myself up for a new job. It will take me several months to train her right so she doesn't jump up on people or hassle them.

Thorn
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I know that I am basically putting myself up for a new job. It will take me several months to train her right so she doesn't jump up on people or hassle them.

Actually, Damo, it shouldn't take you very long at all. I'll PM you tomorrow with some ideas if you like. Now that you've met her you can tell me more about her and that will help. If she's treat-driven you'll be surprised how easy this will be.

Damocles
07-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Actually, Damo, it shouldn't take you very long at all. I'll PM you tomorrow with some ideas if you like. Now that you've met her you can tell me more about her and that will help. If she's treat-driven you'll be surprised how easy this will be.
Well, it really won't matter now.

The woman who runs the rescue said, I kid you not, that she didn't see any "Wow Factor, any dog magic" and prefers to bring us some more dogs to find the right "fit"...

The dog was awesome, just as I figured she would be. And she was already trained not to jump up on the kids or anybody. She and my eldest got along swimmingly, then suddenly the rescue lady announces that there was no "magic" no "wow"....

Freaking nut...

But heck, maybe she'll bring us one that actually does have magic and stuff... Ugh. Where's the face palm smilie when you need it?

DamnYankee
07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
...then suddenly the rescue lady announces that there was no "magic" no "wow"....
... You mean she wouldn't give you the dog?

Damocles
07-13-2009, 07:59 AM
You mean she wouldn't give you the dog?
Yup. Not because we weren't good dog owners, but because there is no "magic" no "wow"...

I mean, who is she? Simon Cowell?

DamnYankee
07-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Yup. Not because we weren't good dog owners, but because there is no "magic" no "wow"...

I mean, who is she? Simon Cowell? That's fucked up. They kill more dogs then they find owners for around here, and she's playing The Dog Nazi?

Solitary1
07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
http://photos.petfinder.com/fotos/CO171/CO171.14098733-1-x.jpg

She's a 1 year old German Shepherd.

Her name is Nyla.

So far we don't know too much about her, she's sweet and energetic, not aggressive and not shy. She likes other dogs, but she has yet to meet our cat.

I don't know when we'll be able to take her home, but the family is very excited..

Great looking dog, Damo. And I second Thorn's advice about training. Done early and done right, it makes for a better family pet.

DamnYankee
07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Great looking dog, Damo. And I second Thorn's advice about training. Done early and done right, it makes for a better family pet. You ought to know. :barf:

Thorn
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM

The woman who runs the rescue said, I kid you not, that she didn't see any "Wow Factor, any dog magic" and prefers to bring us some more dogs to find the right "fit"...

The dog was awesome, just as I figured she would be. And she was already trained not to jump up on the kids or anybody. She and my eldest got along swimmingly, then suddenly the rescue lady announces that there was no "magic" no "wow"....

Freaking nut...

But heck, maybe she'll bring us one that actually does have magic and stuff... Ugh. Where's the face palm smilie when you need it?

I'm so sorry, Damo! Unfortunately some of the people who get involved in running these organizations are a bit off the charts. I have to wonder how many dogs she places if this is how she conducts adoptions. People like this, and their peers in other respects, are the reason I finally gave up on volunteering in a couple of organizations after about three years each.

This leaves me scratching my head too! I feel worst for your kids because I'll bet they had their hearts set on her once they met her.

Solitary1
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Freaking nut...

So this imbecile refuses to allow you to adopt the dog because she didn't see any "magic"? Wow, that is pitiful.

Sorry you got your hopes up, and that you and your family were let down by a fool. Such a shame.

Mott the Hoople
07-13-2009, 09:01 AM
seems kinda ugly
What are you talking about? Lady-T is gorgeous!!!

Mott the Hoople
07-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Freaking nut...

But heck, maybe she'll bring us one that actually does have magic and stuff... Ugh. Where's the face palm smilie when you need it?My advice to you is to tell her you're not interested. You gave her an oppurtunity to place a dog in a good home and she disregarded your offer for rediculous reasons. I'd let her know that your offended, that your offer for the shepard still stands, otherwise, not interested. Bet she comes back in a day or two.

Damocles
07-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm so sorry, Damo! Unfortunately some of the people who get involved in running these organizations are a bit off the charts. I have to wonder how many dogs she places if this is how she conducts adoptions. People like this, and their peers in other respects, are the reason I finally gave up on volunteering in a couple of organizations after about three years each.

This leaves me scratching my head too! I feel worst for your kids because I'll bet they had their hearts set on her once they met her.
Yeah, my eldest is a bit depressed. She said she'll bring over more dogs this weekend to our house and that she'd bring Nyla with her if she is still unadopted by then.

We'll see what happens. Maybe she'll see the "magic" then. There really isn't much we can do when the person who runs the rescue decides that there is no intangible magic that only she can spot.

Damocles
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
So this imbecile refuses to allow you to adopt the dog because she didn't see any "magic"? Wow, that is pitiful.

Sorry you got your hopes up, and that you and your family were let down by a fool. Such a shame.
Thanks. I couldn't believe my ears...

Damocles
07-13-2009, 09:28 AM
My advice to you is to tell her you're not interested. You gave her an oppurtunity to place a dog in a good home and she disregarded your offer for rediculous reasons. I'd let her know that your offended, that your offer for the shepard still stands, otherwise, not interested. Bet she comes back in a day or two.
I'm thinking of doing just that. There has to be other rescues around, ones that will place a dog in a good home without intangible magic as a requisite.

Mott the Hoople
07-13-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking of doing just that. There has to be other rescues around, ones that will place a dog in a good home without intangible magic as a requisite.Yea and it will give Ms Dog magic something to think about when she has to put down a good dog she could have placed into a good home because she didn't see any dog magic. Also, I'd find out who operates the shelter and file a complaint about her. I could see if she had objective criteria about not placing her in your home but "dog magic"? That's out of line.

Damocles
07-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Yea and it will give Ms Dog magic something to think about when she has to put down a good dog she could have placed into a good home because she didn't see any dog magic. Also, I'd find out who operates the shelter and file a complaint about her. I could see if she had objective criteria about not placing her in your home but "dog magic"? That's out of line.
She runs the rescue.

Annie
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
She runs the rescue.

This sounds so weird, all I can glimmer is PETA, which is unrelated other than being nutty.

I don't know that I'd want to support such a shelter, though I understand you are now hooked on the dog.

Solitary1
07-13-2009, 10:14 AM
When she brings Nyla back, make sure everyone has a piece of bacon in their pocket. Bet she sees the magic then.

meme
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM

I mean, who is she? Simon Cowell?

wow, that is friggen cold...I'd go some where else..try the humane shelters, that is where I get most of my adoptions and save a life to boot..

sorry for your family..

Mott the Hoople
07-13-2009, 01:54 PM
She runs the rescue.
Ouch

Mott the Hoople
07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
When she brings Nyla back, make sure everyone has a piece of bacon in their pocket. Bet she sees the magic then.

LOL You stole that from Jack Nicholson's character in "As good as it gets!" LOL

Mott the Hoople
07-13-2009, 01:57 PM
She runs the rescue.BTW, I have a cousin who breeds prize caliber Sheps, though Ohio is probably a long way from CO just to get a dog. LOL

Damocles
07-13-2009, 02:04 PM
BTW, I have a cousin who breeds prize caliber Sheps, though Ohio is probably a long way from CO just to get a dog. LOL
LOL. It would depend on the price... :D We could visit my wife's alma mater...

LadyT
07-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Freaking nut...

The rescue I work has some people like that. I don't get it. Its not as mundane as "wow" factor, but I've seen them turn down applications for what I think to be trivial.

At the moment I'm fostering a pitbull mix and we had to turn a family down b/c the dad thought he was "too friendly" with people. IMO that's a valid reason. If the person who's trying to adopt the pet seems like they want to train a dog to be aggressive then I can understand. No "wow" factor is ridiculous.

LadyT
07-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Yeah. I've run into a few of those. I think that deep down inside they just get attached to the dog and don't want to let them go just yet.

LadyT
07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
What are you talking about? Lady-T is gorgeous!!!

Hey! I'd negative rep you, but Damo the enforcer has put the smackdown on spreading more rep around.

Thorn
07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah. I've run into a few of those. I think that deep down inside they just get attached to the dog and don't want to let them go just yet.

That's certainly true of some of the fosterers, and I can see it's very understandable. I really was talking about some of those people who actually run (or try to run) the organization. It seems to me that somehow they lose sight of the real goals and make this too much a source of personal identity and gratification, too often to the detriment of both the animals and the organization. For those certain people, the organization becomes their entire life, but not necessarily in a good way.

Mott the Hoople
07-14-2009, 05:10 AM
LOL. It would depend on the price... :D We could visit my wife's alma mater...I think they sell in the $500 range. Not sure. I can check if you want. They are AKC registered pups.

Mott the Hoople
07-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Hey! I'd negative rep you, but Damo the enforcer has put the smackdown on spreading more rep around.That's ok, I'm not overly concerned about winning or losing brownie points. Considering my nature, I'm surprized I have as many rep points as I do. I really am! LOL

Damocles
07-14-2009, 07:07 AM
I think they sell in the $500 range. Not sure. I can check if you want. They are AKC registered pups.
Sure, check. I've seen some that are extremely expensive, and some that are not quite so expensive. I'd like to go through a rescue, but heck there may be no "magic"... :rolleyes: