PDA

View Full Version : another racist holyroller

robdastud
07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
In a speech Saturday, Romney, a Republican considering a run for president in 2008, acknowledged he took a big political risk in taking control of the project after a fatal tunnel ceiling collapse, but said inaction would have been even worse.

"The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that tar baby as I can," he told a crowd of about 100 supporters in Ames, Iowa.

Black leaders were outraged at his use of the term, which dates to the 19th century Uncle Remus stories, referring to a doll made of tar that traps Br'er Rabbit. It has come to be known as a way of describing a sticky mess, and has been used as a derogatory term for a black person.

"Tar baby is a totally inappropriate phrase in the 21st century," said Larry Jones, a black Republican and civil rights activist.

"He thinks he's presidential timber," Jones said. "But all he's shown us is arrogance."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/31/romney.racialremark.ap/index.html

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 01:33 PM
That's isn't being racist....it is referring to the usage in the story, i.e. a sticky situation.

Anyone who reads this without their heads too far up their asses realizes from just the context itself what he meant.

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Besides, Rob, you are just a typical liberal idiot--- you fixate on a certain word or phrase and then use it to the point of cliche in your arguments.

Example: holy roller--- you use this phrase in literally every post, and it is a trait that you attribute to nearly everyone who disagrees with your point of view.

The same as Saoirse using "Faux News" until you want to punch her. You think that these little trendy phrases make you sound smart, but they in fact make you appear as if you lack a vocabulary beyond what the NY Times prints, and thus are forced to fall back on little catch-words to help inflate your inarticulate ramblings. Spare us in the future.

Adam Weinberg
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I'll give you that the guy was born in Detroit--and should know better--but he is mostly from Massachusetts by experience, Rob, do you actually think he knows what Br'er Rabbit is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%27er_Rabbit

I think he should have said "Clusterfuck", it would have been much better for his campaign.

I still think Romney can win the nomination, by the way.

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Even if he doesn't know who Br'er Rabbit is (and anyone over twenty should), tar baby isn't inherently racist in the context in which is was used. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this Jones fellow is also contending for president.

robdastud
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Besides, Rob, you are just a typical liberal idiot--- you fixate on a certain word or phrase and then use it to the point of cliche in your arguments.

Example: holy roller--- you use this phrase in literally every post, and it is a trait that you attribute to nearly everyone who disagrees with your point of view.

The same as Saoirse using "Faux News" until you want to punch her. You think that these little trendy phrases make you sound smart, but they in fact make you appear as if you lack a vocabulary beyond what the NY Times prints, and thus are forced to fall back on little catch-words to help inflate your inarticulate ramblings. Spare us in the future.
actually, i make up terms on this and the other site all the time... holyroller i thought i made up, maybe im wrong, i dunno. and i don't attribute everyone to being a holyroller, and most of the time i just do it in fun, you take me way to seriously.

robdastud
07-31-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll give you that the guy was born in Detroit--and should know better--but he is mostly from Massachusetts by experience, Rob, do you actually think he knows what Br'er Rabbit is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%27er_Rabbit

I think he should have said "Clusterfuck", it would have been much better for his campaign.

I still think Romney can win the nomination, by the way.

and im sure you'll vote for him.

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
actually, i make up terms on this and the other site all the time... holyroller i thought i made up, maybe im wrong, i dunno. and i don't attribute everyone to being a holyroller, and most of the time i just do it in fun, you take me way to seriously.
From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: Holy Roller
Function: noun
often offensive : a member of one of the Protestant sects whose worship meetings are characterized by spontaneous expressions of emotional excitement

robdastud
07-31-2006, 02:47 PM
yes but my holyroller is one word.

however the meaning is the same.

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 02:49 PM
On the contrary, I see you for what you are--- a joke.

LadyT
07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't think he meant to be offensive at all.

From the article:

"He was unaware that some people find the term objectionable and he's sorry if anyone's offended," Fehrnstrom said.

To be honest, I was unaware too.
Also, I think the press is exaggerating this a bit too much: "Black leaders were outraged at his use of the term, " Perhaps there was one or two that have nothing else to focus on, but I think the majority of voters and leaders a like see this as an honest mistake.

gonzojournals
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Not even a mistake......let's face it, there is very little you could say in this day and age that can't be interpreted as racism by those looking to find it.

Black people search for racism.

robdastud
08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
like you search for ways to threaten Adam W.

LadyT
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Not even a mistake......let's face it, there is very little you could say in this day and age that can't be interpreted as racism by those looking to find it.

so do whites, asians and latino's what's your point?

OrnotBitwise
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM

Oh, Irony Police . . . .

gonzojournals
08-03-2006, 08:23 PM
like you search for ways to threaten Adam W.
More like how you search for comebacks and come up with only lame-ass statements intended to attack my integrity instead of addressing my statement.

Go masturbate to a picture of yourself and spare us your arrogant rants.