PDA

View Full Version : More than two dozen states had eugenics sterillization programs

uscitizen
06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Jun 22, 7:11 PM EDT

NC remembering victims of sterilization program

By GARY D. ROBERTSON
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina recalled a regrettable side of its history on Monday by unveiling a roadside marker remembering poor people, mental patients and prisoners who were sterilized against their will by state officials.

The cast aluminum sign in downtown Raleigh provides a permanent remembrance of the program intended to keep thousands of people considered mentally disabled or otherwise genetically inferior from having children.

"This does represent one of the ugly chapters in North Carolina's history," said the Rev. William Barber, president of the state chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "We have to deal with our past in order to have a better present and a stronger future."

More than 7,600 people were sterilized by "choice or coercion" under the state's so-called eugenics program between 1933 and 1973, according to the marker's text. North Carolina was one of more than two dozen states that ran such programs after social reformers began advocating for the approach a century ago.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EUGENICS_MARKER?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

RockX
06-23-2009, 08:23 AM
California was the biggest sterilization state, back in the day. They need to bring it back, to many liberal nuts.

FUCK THE POLICE
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Definitely one of the most hilarious instances in American history.

FUCK THE POLICE
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
California was the biggest sterilization state, back in the day.

Southern states were biggest per capita. Conservative dream - kill everyone who dissents.

DamnYankee
06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
California was the biggest sterilization state, back in the day. They need to bring it back, to many liberal nuts. The liberals are doing it themselves through abortion. *shrug*

FUCK THE POLICE
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
The liberals are doing it themselves through abortion. *shrug*

Do you have shrug turrets? *shrug*

Minister of Truth
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you have shrug turrets? *shrug*

My guess is "yes."

*shrug*

Damocles
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
My guess is "yes."

*shrug*
Shut up! You can't make fun of Tourette's Syndrome! *shrug* *stomp* F*CKING BallL*Cking!

Minister of Truth
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Shut up! You can't make fun of Tourette's Syndrome! *shrug* *stomp* F*CKING BallL*Cking!

LOLZ Incidentally, the rep I gave you was supposed to read "Wow, you're on a roll today," but my finger slipped and I accidentally hit enter early.

I think it was Tourettes.

Damocles
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
LOLZ Incidentally, the rep I gave you was supposed to read "Wow, you're on a roll today," but my finger slipped and I accidentally hit enter early.

I think it was Tourettes.
Probably.