PDA

View Full Version : Political lesson 101: When all else fails... PANDER TO THE HOLYROLLERS!!!!

robdastud
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - After swaying gently to the hymn “God Will Take Care of You,” Ned Lamont went the pulpit and asked congregants at the Messiah Baptist Church to break from a three-term incumbent and support his bid for U.S. Senate.

A few miles away, U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman urged those in the Iglesia Cristiana Buen Pastor parish to vote in the Aug. 8 Democratic primary for someone they like and trust.

“You and I know each other. We are like familia,” said Lieberman, drawing chuckles from the crowd for using the Spanish word.
Lamont on Sunday picked up the endorsement of The New York Times. The Washington Post backed Lieberman, as did The Hartford Courant and the Connecticut Post, the state’s two largest newspapers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14117361/

I don't really think saying a few words in spanish is going to save liebermans #$#$#

i mean Lieberman will always begin with LIE.

IHateGovernment
07-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Whether we like it or not Religion remains a fixture of American society.

robdastud
07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
right, and i reserve my right to laugh at em. LOL.

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
But a fixture the role of which is constantly changing. That's especially true these last 40 years or so.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-31-2006, 02:01 PM
This is like the only race in America that is democratically competitve. All the rest were decided whenever state legislatures drew maps, and hte state legislature races were decided whenever the state legislatures decided who their constitutents would be.

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Robdawg lesson 101-- when all else fails, call someone a "holyroller [sic]"

It's his new favourite word.

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Robdawg lesson 101-- when all else fails, call someone a "holyroller [sic]"

It's his new favourite word.
Yes, well, it's not ineffective, in its own way. For most Americans "holyroller" is an exceptionally negative image, and one that's accruing more negative associations each year.

IHateGovernment
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
In America we spell favorite not favourite.

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 02:47 PM
In America we spell favorite not favourite.
Maybe he's a British grammar nazi.

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
In Europe British English is used....my family is Greek, I learned how to spell from my family...yes, I attended school as well, but some things are just habits. I like it better that way anyway.

Find something more substantial to post about.

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
In Europe British English is used....my family is Greek, I learned how to spell from my family...yes, I attended school as well, but some things are just habits. I like it better that way anyway.

Find something more substantial to post about.
If you didn't proclaim yourself a grammar nazi most likely no one would have bothered. Well, Toby would've but he doesn't count.

:pke:

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't see your point. It is not incorrect grammar. Just a regional difference. Like trying to tell a Brit that "lift" isn't the right word for elevator. It isn't incorrect.

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I don't see your point. It is not incorrect grammar. Just a regional difference. Like trying to tell a Brit that "lift" isn't the right word for elevator. It isn't incorrect.
The line between "incorrect" usage and simply "non-standard" is, at best, a fuzzy one. My point was that no one would have bothered about your European spelling absent the "Grammar Nazi" label.

gonzojournals
07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Ah.

IHateGovernment
07-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Its not a regional difference American and British English are substantially different. If you type favourite in Microsoft word it would be tagged as misspelled.

I don't care that much I just wanted to bust your chops. For all I know you might not be American. But ultimately in an American context it is incorrect it isn't an either/or thing as you say it is.

Language eventually diverges. Spanish, French, Italian and Romanian were once the same language. However cuatro is not how you spell four in Italian just as quattro is not how you spell four in Spanish.

BRUTALITOPS
07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
right, and i reserve my right to laugh at em. LOL.

and they reserve the right to tie you to a fence, take your money and expose you to the elements.

:)

OrnotBitwise
07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
and they reserve the right to tie you to a fence, take your money and expose you to the elements.

:)
And/or beat him to death and bury him as the mood strikes them.