PDA

View Full Version : Manny took peformance enhancing drugs :(

BRUTALITOPS
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
also he's suspended 50 games.

SUCKS.

Damocles
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
lol. I should bring back the post where you were so proud your team did it without enhancements....

Seriously naive, Grind... Not your best work.

maineman
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
thank goodness he doesn't still play at Fenway!

and damo... clearly, he only started the juice after he got to LA! ;)

Minister of Truth
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM

LA is where all the good drugs are (minus Oregon weed and WA meth)! Seriously, what the hell do they have up in Boston? The IRA trafficks weapons, but that's all I can think of... :cool:

BRUTALITOPS
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
no proof he took them while being on red sox yet and we don't even know what he took. it was a banned substance but there are mixed reports over whether or not it was really "performance enhancing"

BRUTALITOPS
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
and manny was tested while on the red sox and always passed.

Thorn
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I just read the story on CNN. They're saying that although it wasn't a steroid it did fall under the new, broader category of performance-enhancing drugs. The nature of the drug wasn't disclosed.

Curiously, Manny is claiming that this was a drug prescribed for him for some undisclosed health problem and that the prescribing physician said that it would be "okay". It seems to me that if this is true, he should take responsibility for helping to change the criteria for "performance-enhancing" category to consider and perhaps exempt therapeutic treatments. That he did not do so but accepted a huge, 50-game suspension makes me suspicious of his statement. He'd have done himself more good, in terms of image at least, just to keep silent; it's hard to believe the "therapeutic" aspect under the circumstances.

BRUTALITOPS
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
lol look how jealous damo is over the fact of how the red sox raped colorado in '07

maineman
05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
LA is where all the good drugs are (minus Oregon weed and WA meth)! Seriously, what the hell do they have up in Boston? The IRA trafficks weapons, but that's all I can think of... :cool:

good beer

BRUTALITOPS
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
good micro brews, good chowder, apparently our beans are good but im not into that stuff. We steal maine lobster so that like half counts, also we have very good weed in MA so suck it 3d

Damocles
05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
and manny was tested while on the red sox and always passed.
And so were most of the people who got caught from other teams and later were found out by people who turned them in...

The testing is flawed, very much so. Using that as evidence he didn't juice up at one place but at another he thought, "Why, what a great idea!"

Geez. Naivete is cute in children, Grind, but in adults its just sad.

Damocles
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
lol look how jealous damo is over the fact of how the red sox raped colorado in '07
Yeah, pointing out the obvious is jealousy. :rolleyes: It's like listening to an Obama worshiper.

cawacko
05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I hate that f*cker Manny! Of course I'm going to tonights Dodgers game so I won't get to watch him but this is great. LA is in Jonestown mode right now.

BRUTALITOPS
05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
manny is awesome. He has so much heart and he's always been great for the game.

maineman
05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree...I loved to watch him play, because that is what he did...PLAY. He PLAYED the GAME of baseball with the joy of a child.

I must admit that I was disappointed in how he quit trying for Boston in order to get traded.

Thorn
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
A recent update explains, to me at least, why he was reluctant to discuss the nature of the drug he took. It was a gonadotropic hormone, to treat erectile dysfunction. Although I can understand why he wouldn't want to go public with this, now that the information has made it into the media, I'd hope he'd try, perhaps through his agent, to encourage some common sense in the testing procedures.

maineman
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
A recent update explains, to me at least, why he was reluctant to discuss the nature of the drug he took. It was a gonadotropic hormone, to treat erectile dysfunction. Although I can understand why he wouldn't want to go public with this, now that the information has made it into the media, I'd hope he'd try, perhaps through his agent, to encourage some common sense in the testing procedures.

so, in a sense, it was a "performance enhancing drug" all along!

Thorn
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
so, in a sense, it was a "performance enhancing drug" all along!

Yah, just not on the playing field.

maineman
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Yah, just not on the playing field.

just not on the BASEBALL playing field!

Thorn
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
just not on the BASEBALL playing field!

Excuse me. You're quite correct there. :)

cawacko
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Thorn what I've seen reported is its a women's hormone used by people coming off of a steriod cycle. Do you have any articles saying it was for erectile function because I haven't seen that reported.

Edit: I did see someone call it a 'boner popping' medication so would be correct.

Minister of Truth
05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
good micro brews, good chowder, apparently our beans are good but im not into that stuff. We steal maine lobster so that like half counts, also we have very good weed in MA so suck it 3d

Not like Southern Oregon you haven't.

Thorn
05-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Thorn what I've seen reported is its a women's hormone used by people coming off of a steriod cycle. Do you have any articles saying it was for erectile function because I haven't seen that reported.

Edit: I did see someone call it a 'boner popping' medication so would be correct.

Here's the link. They did describe it a little more clinically than your source :p

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-ramirezsuspension050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

cawacko
05-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Here's ESPN's take:

ESPN reported earlier that testing showed Ramirez had used hCG, which is typically used by steroid users to restart their bodies' natural testosterone production as they come off a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.

Manny Ramirez of Los Angeles Dodgers will serve 50-game suspension for drug violation - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4150142@@AMEPARAM@@4150142

Thorn
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Here's ESPN's take:

ESPN reported earlier that testing showed Ramirez had used hCG, which is typically used by steroid users to restart their bodies' natural testosterone production as they come off a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.

The problem with reporting such things as drug effects is that most such drugs, in this case a hormone equivalent, have myriad effects. That they may be used in some instances to treat Condition A doesn't preclude another use that may address unrelated Condition B. I'm not saying that Manny may not have taken steroids except that he tested negative in every instance for years while he was with the Red Sox. Although he sort of looks like he might have been a steroid user to some extent, those negative tests argue against that. I never thought I'd be defending this guy; personally I really can't stand him.

cawacko
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
The problem with reporting such things as drug effects is that most such drugs, in this case a hormone equivalent, have myriad effects. That they may be used in some instances to treat Condition A doesn't preclude another use that may address unrelated Condition B. I'm not saying that Manny may not have taken steroids except that he tested negative in every instance for years while he was with the Red Sox. Although he sort of looks like he might have been a steroid user to some extent, those negative tests argue against that. I never thought I'd be defending this guy; personally I really can't stand him.

The one thing I would say is Barry never tested positive either. Who is remaining among sluggers that hasn't been busted for drug use? Albert Puljos maybe?

halbnc1
05-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Maineman, I picked your post to reply to because I saw the words, "Yellow dog Democrat." I thought I was the only person in the whole country that used or even knew what it meant.

Speaking of Manny Ramirez and his 50 game suspension, I saw Manny play his rookie season for my hometown Rookie League team. Several current stars in the majors came through this team - Jim Thome, Mark Lewis, and others.

The local rookie team recently changed its affiliation, and although it is still thriving, it doesn't seem the same, but where else can you get an evening's entertainment for three bucks? (for seniors)

This brings up the reason I wrote this: Major league Baseball, along with other sports have priced themselves out of the range of lots of people of modest means. Where once a father and son could enjoy a baseball game and a couple of hot dogs for 10 - maybe 20 dollars or less, now they are on the verge of taking out a mortgage to see grown men play.

Maybe instead of spending so much time on the salaries of CEO's of finance and industry, perhaps Co0ngress should take a look at major sports. It appears to me, that sports - all of them, have become money driven and motivated. Our current economic woes are caused by this same demon.

It's an old saw, I know, but the saying, "winning isn't everything, but its how you played the game, has been replaced by, "wining isn't everything - its the ONLY thing.

I think sports should revert to their former status. They are called games, and you PLAY baseball, football, and basketball.

In the case of Manny Ramirez, $7.3 million pay loss for 50 games??? That, too, like CEO salaries is totally obscene.

signalmankenneth
05-09-2009, 08:03 PM
A Nation of Cheaters
By Kirk O. Hanson

January 19, 2003

Cheating. What could be more American? From the snake oil salesmen of the late 19th century to the stock manipulators of the 1920s to the spitballers of modern baseball. But today it seems absolutely everybody is doing it. We cheat—or at least try to cheat—in every aspect of our lives. One out of four Americans surveyed say it's acceptable to cheat on their taxes. Former Tyco CEO Dennis Kozlowski sends paintings he bought to a New Hampshire address to cheat New York State out of the sales tax. College bound students cheat on the SAT tests. Teachers cheat by giving their students the answers to standardized tests so the teachers qualify for bonuses. Athletes cheat by using performance-enhancing drugs. Successful authors cheat by appropriating others' writing as their own. Even colleges steeped in honor codes—the University of Virginia and the US Naval Academy—have been rocked by massive cheating scandals in recent years.

After a depressing 2002 in which corporate executives too numerous to count cheated shareholders by fudging their accounts or manipulating markets, we have to ask whether cheating has become the new national norm. We have always had a few cheaters among us, but has the typical American now lost his or her moral compass? Have we lost our fundamental commitment to integrity and fair play? First of all, why do people cheat? There are two simple answers, neither very noble. People cheat to get ahead, even if they don't qualify for the advancement and even if they can't win a fair competition. Such people don't care about anyone else but themselves. This adult lies about the toaster he broke so he can get a full refund. The teenager lies about her age to save money on a movie ticket. The other reason is simple laziness.

But there are new reasons why people cheat—and these may give us a clue about how to stop the rising tide of cheating. Some people cheat today because they simply cannot get everything done which needs to be done. American life has become so intense, so rushed, so fully packed. Many shortcuts we seek involve cheating—copying school papers from the Internet or cheating our companies by telling our bosses we are sick so we can catch up on housework or errands.

Some people cheat today not just because they want to get ahead, but more because they fear the embarrassment of failure. Parents put huge expectations on children—you are a failure if you don't go to an Ivy League school. You have to win; we've sacrificed so much to make you a competitive swimmer. Companies put huge pressures on employees—you now have to do the job of two, or you will be laid off too. And American culture says again and again that you have to be successful and wealthy to be happy. Faced with this fear of being a failure, too many people seek a shortcut and falsify their resume, cheat on their SATs, or fudge numbers at work to look better.

Most threatening, at least to me, is the notion that more people are cheating today because they think everyone else cheats. I had to cheat on the test, some students argue, because everyone else cheats and we are graded on a curve. Some business students I have taught and some business people believe that "everyone cheats" and that you have to do so to be competitive. The widespread corporate scandals of the past year, touching so many of our blue-chip companies, have reinforced this cynical belief that good guys will finish last.

Finally, an increasing number of cheaters are arguing that they must cheat to resist unfair new systems of accountability. Teachers in schools are resistant to performance-based testing because it may threaten their jobs. Employees cheat to resist systems that silently measure their output. Some welfare advocates resist needs-based tests because they may remove some people from the rolls. So how can we reset the nation's moral compass and stem the troubling rise of cheating? There are things you and I can do individually—and there are things that must be done by our leaders in government, business, education, and the media.

What can we individually do? The first thing is to stand up for fair play in our own lives. We must resist the temptations to take short cuts with small acts of cheating. Pay full price for your child if he or she is actually 13 and not 12. And we need to become advocates for fair play. Talk to our children about how important integrity and fair play is and how cheating hurts them—it does!

We need to support efforts to control cheating. If someone is caught cheating, support strong penalties. If our own child is caught cheating, resist the temptation to blame the school or the teacher. If an athlete is caught cheating, support the referee or the rules which throw him off the team. Become intolerant of cheating around you.

We can turn down the pressure felt by our own spouses and children. It is OK if your husband does not get the big promotion; it's OK if your son does not get into the "best" school. Life is about doing your best, not just about winning.

There are also important things our leaders in government, business, and the media can do to help fight cheating in American life.

The first is to put tougher national laws and regulations in place that deal with all forms of cheating. We also need the commitment to enforce those laws and to impose tough sanctions. This is a job of Congress, regulators, and the courts.

Second, each of our institutions—businesses, schools, athletic teams, and voluntary associations—need their own tough rules against cheating. University of Virginia officials and its student leaders have apparently pursued the dozens of cheating cases uncovered recently, strengthening their own honor code in the process. But Bausch and Lomb board members weakened the company's ethical culture, in my view, when they did not remove Ron Zarella as their CEO after it was revealed he had claimed a degree he did not have. Even sports-frenzied Notre Dame knew it had to get rid of a coach that lied on his resume.

Third, leaders in government and the private sector are going to have to invest in new systems to enforce standards against cheating, at least for a time. Government regulators and tax officials will have to do more audits. Employers will have to check the accuracy of all resumes. College teachers will have to use new on-line systems to check for plagiarism in papers.

Finally, I believe all our leaders—particularly those in the media—must contribute to building a new American culture in which wealth and celebrity are not the defining marks of success, but instead old-fashioned values such as integrity, faithfulness, and service to those in need. As long as Americans are chasing a dream defined by winning above all, they will continue to find new ways to cheat their way to the finish line.

The article appeared originally in the Boston Globe, Jan. 19, 2003.

cawacko
05-10-2009, 05:57 AM
What's up big Ken. Why post an article from 2003 bro? Nothing wrong with doing that I guess but you must have a reason behind it sir? Am I wrong?

signalmankenneth
05-10-2009, 07:11 AM
What's up big Ken. Why post an article from 2003 bro? Nothing wrong with doing that I guess but you must have a reason behind it sir? Am I wrong?

Why the 2003 article? Because it still applies today and we have been a nation of cheaters for sometime now, long before 2003 too!

Mott the Hoople
05-11-2009, 05:19 AM
And so were most of the people who got caught from other teams and later were found out by people who turned them in...

The testing is flawed, very much so. Using that as evidence he didn't juice up at one place but at another he thought, "Why, what a great idea!"

Geez. Naivete is cute in children, Grind, but in adults its just sad.

I know Damo You're exactly right! That just reminds me that I"m so glad we invaded Iraq or there'd be a mushroom cloud where Cleveland used to be!!:cof1:

Mott the Hoople
05-11-2009, 05:24 AM
also he's suspended 50 games.

SUCKS.
Grind.

Maybe you would feel better if you heard Johnny Bench's view on performance enchancing drugs.

When asked by a reporter about his views on performance enhancing drugs, Hall of Famer Bench said "I'm 59 years old and I have a 35 year old wife and a 5 year old son. THANK GOD FOR PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS!!!!!