PDA

View Full Version : Pop Quiz

Beefy
07-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Who does history suspect personally fired the first bullet on Fort Sumter? Who trained him?

Which was the first state to secede rom the Union?

The USS Maine plated a critical role in which US war?

Which US President almost died in the Amazon Jungle after his retirement?

How many US presidents share direct blood lineage?

Who did the Battle of Anteitam ultimately benefit, and why?

The 14 ponts were the brainchild of which president, and what were they the precurser to?

What were the closest elections in the 20th century? the 19th?

charver
07-31-2006, 01:37 AM
The 14 ponts were the brainchild of which president, and what were they the precurser to?

Sir! Sir! I know, Sir!

GCSE History don't fail me now. That would be the impossibly idealistic Woodrow Wilson's 14 points, resulting in the failure of the victors of the Great War to either crush or concilliate Germany, and the halfway-house which was the Treaty of Versailles. Of course, you could also be alluding to the League of Nations, which also had its roots in Mr Wilson's points fetish.

Do i win five pounds?

Damocles
07-31-2006, 05:58 AM
Do i win five pounds?

Five pounds of donut fat, to be delivered at your next visit to Krispy Kreme...

maineman
07-31-2006, 06:08 AM
The USS Maine plated a critical role in which US war?

Spanish-American

Care4all
07-31-2006, 07:23 AM
http://www.homeofheroes.com/wallofhonor/spanish_am/02_maine.html

Care4all
07-31-2006, 07:25 AM
this is an easier site to read and to:

Remember the Maine!

charver
07-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Five pounds of donut fat, to be delivered at your next visit to Krispy Kreme...

What is this "Krispy Kreme" of which you speak? It sounds like a workplace hazard for the cleaners in a cinema frequented by the likes of Pee Wee Herman.

Damocles
07-31-2006, 07:33 AM
What is this "Krispy Kreme" of which you speak? It sounds like a workplace hazard for the cleaners in a cinema frequented by the likes of Pee Wee Herman.

Oh they'll be coming to Britlandia soon enough. They make fresh donuts for your enjoyment... You'll begin to find them all over like Starbucks.

It may be a shock to your systems though, the food is decidedly better than those nasty blood sausages that they kept trying to feed us when we were there...

charver
07-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Oh they'll be coming to Britlandia soon enough. They make fresh donuts for your enjoyment... You'll begin to find them all over like Starbucks.

It may be a shock to your systems though, the food is decidedly better than those nasty blood sausages that they kept trying to feed us when we were there...

Don't knock the black pudding.

Actually, the whole concept of black pudding is vile. It's not even real pig's blood anymore, it's all synthetic. I can understand people eating the proper stuff but who wants to eat synthetic blood?

Damocles
07-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Don't knock the black pudding.

Actually, the whole concept of black pudding is vile. It's not even real pig's blood anymore, it's all synthetic. I can understand people eating the proper stuff but who wants to eat synthetic blood?

Can't figure it out. I mean, I tried a bite once because we were always taught to at least give it a go... But Whooooo... That stuff is nasty.

Adam Weinberg
07-31-2006, 08:10 AM

Krispy Kreme is a doughnut company based in my town of Winston-Salem.

I've actually found Krispy Kreme here in Toronto, but they are undergoing financial difficulties with the widespread popularity of Tim Hortons coffee and doughnut shops.

But Krispy Kreme definitely has better stuff. Unfortunately, nobody in Canada believes me when I tell them they're from Winston-Salem, North Carolina since the bags all say they're from frickin' Winnipeg.

IHateGovernment
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM

I believe this is South Carolina

I am not sure what you mean by direct lineage but I will guess that this exclude cousins. So....

J Q Adams in the son of John Adams
Benjamin Harrison is the Granson of William H Harrison
George W Bush is the son of George HW Bush.

Antietam also helped the slaves because it was the catalyst Lincoln needed to declare the emancipation proclamation. Lincoln decided that upon the Union's next victory he would pronounce it to give it an air of legitimacy.

The battle of Antietam definitely benefitted the Union as well as the slaves. The battle of Antietam is ultimately what kept Great Britain from interceding on behalf of the Confederacy. With Britains aid to break the Union blockade the south could have fought much longer and would be resupplied.

This was primarily because with the EP Britain could not enter the war because Britain was very anti-slavery at this time and to intercede in a war now that was defined as an anti-slavery power vs pro-slavery power was politcally impossible.

this is hard to say. The election that went the farthest as far as contingency plans was the election of JQ Adams in 1824. No canidate got a majority in the EC so the vote went to the House. I believe it was either Clay or Calhoun who urged his supporters to lend their support to Adams instead of Jackson. This allowed him to win.

The other possible answer is Hayes vs. Tilden in which Hayes one the Electoral college by one vote although Tilden one the popular vote.

As far as the 20th century may well have been Gore vs. Bush although I am not sure of this. Nixon vs Kennedy may have been closer. I do know that Dewey vs Truman was not as close as the press believed.

Beefy
08-01-2006, 12:08 AM

I believe this is South Carolina

I am not sure what you mean by direct lineage but I will guess that this exclude cousins. So....

J Q Adams in the son of John Adams
Benjamin Harrison is the Granson of William H Harrison
George W Bush is the son of George HW Bush.

Antietam also helped the slaves because it was the catalyst Lincoln needed to declare the emancipation proclamation. Lincoln decided that upon the Union's next victory he would pronounce it to give it an air of legitimacy.

The battle of Antietam definitely benefitted the Union as well as the slaves. The battle of Antietam is ultimately what kept Great Britain from interceding on behalf of the Confederacy. With Britains aid to break the Union blockade the south could have fought much longer and would be resupplied.

This was primarily because with the EP Britain could not enter the war because Britain was very anti-slavery at this time and to intercede in a war now that was defined as an anti-slavery power vs pro-slavery power was politcally impossible.

this is hard to say. The election that went the farthest as far as contingency plans was the election of JQ Adams in 1824. No canidate got a majority in the EC so the vote went to the House. I believe it was either Clay or Calhoun who urged his supporters to lend their support to Adams instead of Jackson. This allowed him to win.

The other possible answer is Hayes vs. Tilden in which Hayes one the Electoral college by one vote although Tilden one the popular vote.

As far as the 20th century may well have been Gore vs. Bush although I am not sure of this. Nixon vs Kennedy may have been closer. I do know that Dewey vs Truman was not as close as the press believed.

Great answer on Anteitam. Still a few left to go though.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Does 1800 count as the 19th century?

And do you mean electoral or popular vote percentages? The two are never simialar.

Because in the election of 1800 there was actually a tie.

In the 20th century, there was a difference of 100,000 votes (less than 0.5% of the vote) in the election that elected JFK - but JFK had 15% more electoral votes.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Of course, the difference was mainly because of the fact that the EC slightly favors large states over small states...

Beefy
08-01-2006, 01:09 AM

And do you mean electoral or popular vote percentages? The two are never simialar.

Because in the election of 1800 there was actually a tie.

In the 20th century, there was a difference of 100,000 votes (less than 0.5% of the vote) in the election that elected JFK - but JFK had 15% more electoral votes.

Great call. I was talking about the popular vote, should've been more clear. The 1800 election, but 1876 was even worse under your terms.

FUCK THE POLICE
08-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Ah damn.

I was trying to drag you hook and sinker into a debate about the EC, and ultimately proportional reprenation (the solution to everything). Once PR is instated, AIDS and cancer will be cured, world peace will ensue for 1000 years, no man will ever suffer from hemmroids again, and everyone women will have physical attractiveness equal to or greater than lindsay lohen. Why do you hate the children with AIDS, huh? You could end their suffering, if only you wouldn't OPPRESS, yes, OPPRESS the minorities of the nation by daring to draw single memeber districts!

Damn, I'll get you next time, I swear! *laughs maniacally*

OrnotBitwise
08-01-2006, 09:14 AM

Technically, no, it doesn't. The new century begins at 12:00 AM January 1st of the year '01, not 00. 1800 was the last year of the 18th century, not the first year of the 19th.

There now: aren't you glad you got out of bed this morning?