PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Now

Beefy
11-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Has anyone here read this book?

OrnotBitwise
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
What is it, a retrospective on the National Organization for Women?

Damocles
11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Doesn't look like it. It sounds like a self-help book to teach you to live in the moment.

OrnotBitwise
11-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Doesn't look like it. It sounds like a self-help book to teach you to live in the moment.Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Personally, I've never met anyone who'd mastered the art of living in any moment other than the current one.

Possible Probable, my black hen
Can only lay eggs in the relative When.
She'd lay her eggs in the positive Now,
If only she were able to postulate how.

uscitizen
11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I have never met anyone who has truely even mastered that ornot.

uscitizen
11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Umm guys it might be worse than you suspect. From Amazon.

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

BRUTALITOPS
11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
"I am the ooowl, in the power of now"

Beefy
11-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Umm guys it might be worse than you suspect. From Amazon.

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

What is particularly bad about a book with such a title?

BRUTALITOPS
11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
hey mbl how has the tofu been recently? How are the yoga lessons going? Are you at zeltron level five yet? Just let me know if you need anymore healing crystals.

And don't forget to close up your chakras.

Beefy
11-05-2006, 03:48 PM
hey mbl how has the tofu been recently? How are the yoga lessons going? Are you at zeltron level five yet? Just let me know if you need anymore healing crystals.

And don't forget to close up your chakras.

Sticks and stones my friend...

uscitizen
11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
What is particularly bad about a book with such a title?

imho, one does not get their "spiritual" head together out of one book.

Many claim the bible does that for them, but many of them are still messed up.

Beefy
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
imho, one does not get their "spiritual" head together out of one book.

Many claim the bible does that for them, but many of them are still messed up.

This is true. However, you are automatically equating the book to a purely religious text, and that is not the case. You are judging the book without any knowledge of what it contains whatsoever.

I started this thread to see if anyone else had read it, though it doesn't appear that anyone here has.

uscitizen
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Beefy, I just do not believe that any one book can bring spiritual enlightenment.
there is a lot more to it than reading a book.

Beefy
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Beefy, I just do not believe that any one book can bring spiritual enlightenment.
there is a lot more to it than reading a book.

I know. The book doesn't say that when you read it, you are magically enlightened. You seem to be implying that somehow, it is a bad thing. There's actually tons of great psychological insights in the book as well as health, stress and anxiety insights. It is not a religious text, nor does it claim to be. Obviously you know nothing about it, but the word "spiritual" in the title gives you a negative reaction that you are hanging your hat on.

uscitizen
11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Kinda like Dianetics then ?

Damocles
11-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I'll probably read it. You want maybe to discuss it afterward?

Beefy
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Kinda like Dianetics then ?

No, its nothing like Dianetics at all. Again, you are making assumptions about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Damo, yeah, I figured if anyone on this board had read it, it would have been you. I really think you'd enjoy it.

uscitizen
11-06-2006, 01:04 PM
All I know is that my "spirituality" was not earned from reading any one book. but then I don't believe in a spirituallity that lives beyond death.

But reading one book can contribute.

Beefy
11-07-2006, 11:15 AM
All I know is that my "spirituality" was not earned from reading any one book. but then I don't believe in a spirituallity that lives beyond death.

But reading one book can contribute.

Nobody earns spirituality from a book. It ultimately comes from within. I was simply stating that it is a very interesting and insightful book. The use of the word "Spiritual" in the title should not compell anyone to immediately dismiss the book as some sort of bad thing.

uscitizen
11-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry I gave that impression Beefy, I guess I over reacted. Books are great as long as you take them for what they are.