PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Cooking!

Steppenwolf
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
To be honest, I never did much cooking before I got married. My mom was a fantastic cook and could whip up several dishes in matter of minutes.

My life before the kids was busy with school and work, so we did a lot of take out. I had a cabinet full of those quart size plastic containers that you get with egg drop soup. One day I opened that cabinet and my parents were horrified I was eating Chinese Take Out. Oh the horror!

So then comes my daughter and I asked myself, can I be good a parent and give her Chinese take out food 24/7? So then this wonderful food journey began.

My sister, who was already a food snob, was working at a top-notch food magazine company, use to come over and prepare the holiday meals. It looked so much fun and everybody was amazed by her culinary kills.

I thought cooking would be a burden, and it was at first because you need to be a bit organized to be a great cook. You need to have ideas, have the recipes ready, and have a complete list of items available before you can start cooking.

When I got the FoodNetwork channel, it was like opening a whole new door for me. Whoa! Did I get carried away. My kitchen smelled like a restaurant and I was trying every new recipe I saw on FoodNetwork: Rachel Ray, Emeril Lagassi, Paula Deen, etc. That was a lot of fun.

Now, I don't have a lot of time to cook, but whenever I get stressed out, I head to the kitchen and create something I haven't created before. I pop in that opera cd and I'm peeling, cutting, chopping to my hearts content.

Can you tell I'm a little passionate about food?

Anyway, I hope there are others that are interested will share their own experiences and we can also share good recipes. :)

DigitalDave
01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
YouTube - step brothers bonus disc fancy sauce deleted scene

"Mom, I mean, c'mon! You just come out and you say we got Fancy Sauce and Boom, it's over."

BRUTALITOPS
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
can you give me a good chilli recepi?

Steppenwolf
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
can you give me a good chilli recepi?

Sure, do you like white chili or red chili?

And do you like mild or spicy?

Steppenwolf
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV7fgezNP4o

"Mom, I mean, c'mon! You just come out and you say we got Fancy Sauce and Boom, it's over."

I was watching the video and I had to shut it off because my 6 year old was in the room. I didn't expect to hear "f**k" and "assh**e."

BRUTALITOPS
01-13-2009, 12:35 PM
red and spicey....

Now, I can eat really spicey food, but that's usually to prove my manliness. Sometimes I just like to relax and enjoy my food, so I would say mildly spicey.

If you get me a recipe I'll make it and let you know how it came out.

Damocles
01-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I was watching the video and I had to shut it off because my 6 year old was in the room. I didn't expect to hear "f**k" and "assh**e."
Right at the beginning there is a warning at the bottom of the video.

Damocles
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Now that I've seen that, I am very glad I never saw that movie.

Steppenwolf
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
red and spicey....

Now, I can eat really spicey food, but that's usually to prove my manliness. Sometimes I just like to relax and enjoy my food, so I would say mildly spicey.

If you get me a recipe I'll make it and let you know how it came out.

That sounds like a deal to me!

Steppenwolf Chili

Ingredients:
2 lbs lean ground beef
2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper (use this to control heat)

Directions:
Brown beef in skillet over medium high heat. Drain, crumble and set aside

Add all ingredients into large pot (I use 6 qt pot). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

I serve it with sour cream and/or shredded sharp cheddar.

Damocles
01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Steppenwolf Chili

Ingredients:
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp white sugar

Directions:

Add all ingredients into large pot (I use 6 qt pot). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Finely Chop a few Jalapenos and one Habanero (Whole, do not remove core and seeds), add it....

And you have some decent chili...

Steppenwolf
01-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Finely Chop a few Jalapenos and one Habanero (Whole, do not remove core and seeds), add it....

And you have some decent chili...

Yeah, but he said he wanted it mild...:)

I like those jalapenos too. They give a good kick to most anything.

Damocles
01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but he said he wanted it mild...:)

I like those jalapenos too. They give a good kick to most anything.
Don't forget the Habanero.

Fresh, make sure they're fresh. I get them from my garden.

Steppenwolf
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Don't forget the Habanero.

Fresh, make sure they're fresh. I get them from my garden.

That's nice, having your own garden. That can be a lot of work. I like to keep fresh herbs in the window. That's the extent of live vegetables in my house.

Habaneros! You like real heat, don't you?

Damocles
01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
That's nice, having your own garden. That can be a lot of work. I like to keep fresh herbs in the window. That's the extent of live vegetables in my house.

Love it.

Annie
01-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Steppenwolf Chili

Ingredients:
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp white sugar

Directions:

Now that is as close to my own recipe as I've ever seen. No 'hunks of tomatoes' or 'a veggie dump' in chili! I like my chili, hot and with meat and beans. May not be 'Tex Mex' but it rocks. Mind you, nearly all my other recipes are veggie laden, but NOT chili!

My additions:

Oyster crackers
Shredded cheese, your choice
Maybe, perhaps, a dollop of sour cream

BRUTALITOPS
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
omg so good i am drooling. How much jalepenos should i add?

Damocles
01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
omg so good i am drooling. How much jalepenos should i add?
It depends on your palate. I usually add 4 with 1 habanero (for the sweet spicy flavor).

Annie
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM

I'd like that too, but don't have a wind with direct sunlight. The association will not allow any gardens or 'pots.' I'm going to sell sometime soon, when I can kick the kids out. LOL!

BRUTALITOPS
01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
also for everyone in this thread please don't let darla and ladyt know that us guys were talking about cooking. they'll never let us hear the end of it.

Battleborne
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Kick ass chile(with beans--)...imho....use only lean beef,lotsa jalopeno pepper slices,a little added addition... Italian peppers,dried sun baked tomatoes,(or Italian stewed tomatoes)lotsa garlic,ranch beans,red onion slices(fresh), a dash of papricka,you can substitute the base sauce by using a little (any brand) spagetti sauce,(or tomatoe paste)a dash of tobasco,and by all means after a good simmer don't forget the BL Lime or Corona to wash it down!...oh yeah and texas garlic bread to dip into the sauce whilst ya enjoy a temper tantrum of flavor!:clink:

addendum: for the mild chili freaks...add a tablespoon of sugar...my momma and grandmomma taught me this Italian cooking tip! Takes the acid outta the mix!

Dilloduck
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Kick ass chile(with beans--)...imho....use only lean beef,lotsa jalopeno pepper slices,a little added addition... Italian peppers,dried sun baked tomatoes,(or Italian stewed tomatoes)lotsa garlic,ranch beans,red onion slices(fresh), a dash of papricka,you can substitute the base sauce by using a little (any brand) spagetti sauce,(or tomatoe paste)a dash of tobasco,and by all means after a good simmer don't forget the BL Lime or Corona to wash it down!...oh yeah and texas garlic bread to dip into the sauce whilst ya enjoy a temper tantrum of flavor!:clink:

addendum: for the mild chili freaks...add a tablespoon of sugar...my momma and grandmomma taught me this Italian cooking tip! Takes the acid outta the mix!

I didn't see where you were supposed to add LSD in the first place. Does it do the same with 'shrooms. ?

Steppenwolf
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd like that too, but don't have a wind with direct sunlight. The association will not allow any gardens or 'pots.' I'm going to sell sometime soon, when I can kick the kids out. LOL!

Thanks for the tip. I had to throw out my herbs and I'll have to start a new batch. I'm not too good with living things that don't cry, talk, bark, or meow. :)

Steppenwolf
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM

You have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, BB. :)

Steppenwolf
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
So tonight I'm making Steppenwolf Chili in the crockpot. The only thing different is that I brown the meat (I substituted in bison meat) first and throw everything into the crockpot. It's the first time, I'm doing it with this recipe, so I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

With the bison meat, the chili is extra heart healthy!

Annie
01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
So tonight I'm making Steppenwolf Chili in the crockpot. The only thing different is that I brown the meat (I substituted in bison meat) first and throw everything into the crockpot. It's the first time, I'm doing it with this recipe, so I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

With the bison meat, the chili is extra heart healthy!

What's with bison meat and 'heart healthy?' I keep threatening to do chili with turkey, gotta have meat. The kids are like, why kill the experience? I may do it and see if they notice, personally think the spices will hide the exchange?

Damo, if you read this, about the habanero pepper, you wrote 'whole' with seeds & all. Do you mean NOT to chop?

Battleborne
01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I didn't see where you were supposed to add LSD in the first place. Does it do the same with 'shrooms. ?

Hey turd...my chili is a hot and a spicey along with being legally trippy..but ya can add 'shrooms' to the mix if so inclined!

Battleborne
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
You have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, BB. :)

Yes,I do...:cof1:

Steppenwolf
01-15-2009, 02:03 PM
What's with bison meat and 'heart healthy?' I keep threatening to do chili with turkey, gotta have meat. The kids are like, why kill the experience? I may do it and see if they notice, personally think the spices will hide the exchange?

Damo, if you read this, about the habanero pepper, you wrote 'whole' with seeds & all. Do you mean NOT to chop?

Whole turkey, turkey breast cutlets are all good, it's just the lean ground turkey that we are not too fond of. I've made chili with ground turkey and we didn't like the taste nor the texture.

Compare the numbers and you will see why it's heart healthy:

3 oz lean beef: 211 calories, 9 grams of fat
3 oz bison meat: 143 calories, 2.4 grams of fat
3 oz lean turkey: 105 calories, 6 grams of fat

Annie
01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Whole turkey, turkey breast cutlets are all good, it's just the lean ground turkey that we are not too fond of. I've made chili with ground turkey and we didn't like the taste nor the texture.

Good, thanks for that!

Damocles
01-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Nah, you strip turkey for Chili.

Take a fork to it.

Bison meat is good. We've been thinking of ranching either goats or bison. We haven't decided yet.

Steppenwolf
01-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Nah, you strip turkey for Chili.

Take a fork to it.

Bison meat is good. We've been thinking of ranching either goats or bison. We haven't decided yet.

Yeah, that's a better idea - to strip the turkey.

Ranching for commercial purposes? I get my my bison meat from a place in the midwest. I stock up during the grilling season.

You know what I crave? Southern fried chicken. One day when I get the energy, I'd like to make some. I saw it being paired with waffles and it looked heavenly.

Damocles
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM

Ranching for commercial purposes? I get my my bison meat from a place in the midwest. I stock up during the grilling season.

You know what I crave? Southern fried chicken. One day when I get the energy, I'd like to make some. I saw it being paired with waffles and it looked heavenly.
Well, it would be a side business, but yeah. Not heavily but enough to know what we are doing if the brown and steamy stuff hits the electrical convenience.

Annie
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM

Bobby Flay just did a fried chicken recipe that sounded awesome and not difficult. I think it was on 'Boy Meets Grill', it was with his wife. Buttermilk was in it. Found it!

Fried Chicken
Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:4 hr 0 minCook Time:1 hr 20 min
Level:
Intermediate
Serves:
4 to 6 servings
1 quart buttermilk, plus 2 cups
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder, or 2 tablespoons hot sauce, plus 2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder, or cayenne pepper
2 chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), each cut up into 8 pieces
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
Peanut oil, for deep-frying

In a large bowl or baking dish, whisk together 1 quart of the buttermilk, 2 tablespoons salt, 2 teaspoons of chile de arbol powder, or hot sauce, and a little bit of pepper, if desired. Add the chicken pieces, turn to coat, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place the remaining 2 cups of buttermilk in a bowl. Stir together the flour, garlic and onion powders, paprika, and 2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder (or cayenne) in a large bowl. Divide flour mixture among 2 shallow platters and season generously with salt and pepper. Drain the chicken in a colander and pat it dry. Dredge the pieces a few at a time in the flour mixture and pat off excess, then dip in the buttermilk and allow excess to drain off. Dredge in the second plate of flour and pat off the excess. Put the chicken pieces on a piece of waxed paper or on a clean platter while you heat the oil.

Pour about 3 inches of oil into a deep cast iron skillet; the oil should not come more than halfway up the sides of the pot. Put the pot over medium-high heat and heat the oil to 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time and fry, turning the pieces occasionally, until evenly golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a rack to drain; repeat to cook the remaining pieces. Serve hot.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Battleborne
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Me likes breasts, makes great chili...turkeys are dumb critters...and Bison will put ya in orbit if'n ya aren't careful...mean spirited creatures...but hey Southern Fried chicken, if done right, is to die for.....sorry Damo but veggie burgers really-really suck!

Steppenwolf
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Bobby Flay just did a fried chicken recipe that sounded awesome and not difficult. I think it was on 'Boy Meets Grill', it was with his wife. Buttermilk was in it. Found it!

Annie, That sounds authentic. Thanks!

Any decent fried recipe requires buttermilk.

Bobby Flay is the man!

Wow! That's 16 pieces of chicken altogether. We'd be eating for days. Hehe. Not a bad idea. Cold chicken is welcome here too. But the best thing with fried chicken IMO is mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum! Made mashed potatoes with buttermilk one time and nobody liked the tangy taste. I will have to stick to plain milk.

Steppenwolf
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Me likes breasts, makes great chili...turkeys are dumb critters...and Bison will put ya in orbit if'n ya aren't careful...mean spirited creatures...but hey Southern Fried chicken, if done right, is to die for.....sorry Damo but veggie burgers really-really suck!

BB, I would have known this was you even without your userid. It's got BB written all over it. :cool:

Have you ever gotten that close to a bison?

fanclubofone
01-15-2009, 07:08 PM
i aint being ugly but not all of us southerns like butter milk . but i do know how to make a good fried chicken. also have you ever put garlic in the mashed tators .. those are good . and heres a hint for you when you are making the tators after you put the milk and butter you can put a glop of mayo in it and it makes it taste a bit better .

Epicurus
01-16-2009, 12:39 AM
We've been thinking of ranching either goats or bison. We haven't decided yet.

Damo, you're really going all Grizzly Adams on us here. Is there an upcoming race war or apocalyptic prophesy recently fulfilled that I am unaware of?

Steppenwolf
01-16-2009, 05:20 AM
i aint being ugly but not all of us southerns like butter milk . but i do know how to make a good fried chicken. also have you ever put garlic in the mashed tators .. those are good . and heres a hint for you when you are making the tators after you put the milk and butter you can put a glop of mayo in it and it makes it taste a bit better .

I generally don't use buttermilk, just with the chicken at times. What is your dislike with buttermilk? Just curious.

Yes, my stepson (don't ask a how a 38 could have a stepson, long story, LOL) who is an amazing cook always makes his mashed potatos with the garlic. Do you roast the garlic first, or do you add it raw?

The mayo is an interesting idea because that's what goes into potato salad. I would imagine it adds a tanginess and creaminess at the same time. I will try it next time :) Thanks for the tips!

fanclubofone
01-16-2009, 06:00 AM
I just dont like the taste of butter milk . and hey aim 34 and have 2 sons and daughter i got when i married thier dad .

and i add the garlic raw or i have been known to cheat and add the powder

the mayo makes it alot smoother to me . also when you make cornnread and dont have a egg you can add a glop of mayo . yes i cheat some times like this .

Battleborne
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
BB, I would have known this was you even without your userid. It's got BB written all over it. :cool:

Have you ever gotten that close to a bison?

Only once...my old horse JR was a spunky little dude...he liked to charge anything that annoyed him,dogs,cats cows and Bison...so I gave him to my daughter...and she turned his aggression into a positive...she made him a jumper...not a fence could stop him!:moos:

Battleborne
01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I just dont like the taste of butter milk . and hey aim 34 and have 2 sons and daughter i got when i married thier dad .

the mayo makes it alot smoother to me . also when you make cornnread and dont have a egg you can add a glop of mayo . yes i cheat some times like this .

That works being that mayo is made from eggs!..also add a little beer to the mix this is what smooths it!

Battleborne
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I generally don't use buttermilk, just with the chicken at times. What is your dislike with buttermilk? Just curious.

Yes, my stepson (don't ask a how a 38 could have a stepson, long story, LOL) who is an amazing cook always makes his mashed potatos with the garlic. Do you roast the garlic first, or do you add it raw?

The mayo is an interesting idea because that's what goes into potato salad. I would imagine it adds a tanginess and creaminess at the same time. I will try it next time :) Thanks for the tips!

Damn,girl!...Ya are a 38?..and hey your stepson knows what he is doing...Mashed taters rock with garlic...only way to go...I always boil them in garlic salt...and add ground garlic to the finished product!

Battleborne
01-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Damo, you're really going all Grizzly Adams on us here. Is there an upcoming race war or apocalyptic prophesy recently fulfilled that I am unaware of?

Damo..Grizzley Adams!...nah...Grizzly loved his road kill...damo prefers veggie kill!
Damo be the Gentleman farmer thats for sure!

Steppenwolf
01-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Don't you love that instant extended family when you marry someone that's been divorced! LOL!

That's not cheating -- using garlic powder. :) Actually, I have an Italian lady living next door to me and she never uses fresh garlic -- always the powder.

Steppenwolf
01-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Damn,girl!...Ya are a 38?..and hey your stepson knows what he is doing...Mashed taters rock with garlic...only way to go...I always boil them in garlic salt...and add ground garlic to the finished product!

Yes sir, I'm 38 years old and proud of it! I look great, thanks to my mama's great genes.

BB-- you're quite a cook!

tinfoil
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I both love and hate cooking. Working in my brothers gourmet restaurant was fun and hard. Too much work. would rather eat. LOL

Steppenwolf
01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I both love and hate cooking. Working in my brothers gourmet restaurant was fun and hard. Too much work. would rather eat. LOL

I know what you mean. HAVING to do something on a regular basis, takes all the fun out of it. That's why I would never want to work in a restaurant or go into a catering business.

I like to eat too, but there's nothing like the thrill of people pouring on the adulation when you have a dinner party and everyone is oohing and aahing everything that you've made. One thing I've learned, if you are having any type of social gathering, the foods got to be REALLY good.

I just got one of the most coveted recipes from a friend of mine who figured out to make the perfect fish sauce. It's got crabs, clams, mussels, calamari, scallops. She made it for Christmas and my family was fortunate enough to try. It doesn't get much better than this!

Battleborne
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes sir, I'm 38 years old and proud of it! I look great, thanks to my mama's great genes.

BB-- you're quite a cook!

:eek: ya are so very young...and by the way if'n yo mama was Italian yes the genes are good...also a lot of other genes are good! Levi Strauss... oldie but goodie...I know my puns suck...what can I say?:dunno::doh::FootMouth:

fanclubofone
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM
yes theres something to be said for the instant famil ..

i have and do use fresh garlic i just cheat sometimes

Steppenwolf
01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
:eek: ya are so very young...and by the way if'n yo mama was Italian yes the genes are good...also a lot of other genes are good! Levi Strauss... oldie but goodie...I know my puns suck...what can I say?:dunno::doh::FootMouth:

I love Italian history, art, cuisine, but alas I'm not Italian...

Shakespeare was fond of puns and so am I.

Steppenwolf
01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
yes theres something to be said for the instant famil ..

i have and do use fresh garlic i just cheat sometimes

You're so cute! :clink:

Steppenwolf
01-18-2009, 07:18 PM
This cooking blog is well done. All her dishes look absolutely perfect. Sometimes, I just visit to look at the photos...
http://abeautifulmosaic.wordpress.com/