PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson Inducted to Hall of Fame

Bonestorm
01-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Rickey is without question one of the greatest characters ever to play professional sports. I personally can't wait for his induction speech. Here's a sampling of the greatest Rickey Henderson moments of all time:

3) In the early 1980s, the Oakland A’s accounting department was freaking out. The books were off $1 million. After an investigation, it was determined Rickey was the reason why. The GM asked him about a $1 million bonus he had received and Rickey said instead of cashing it, he framed it and hung it on a wall at his house.

4) In 1996, Henderson’s first season with San Diego, he boarded the team bus and was looking for a seat. Steve Finley said, “You have tenure, sit wherever you want.” Henderson looked at Finley and said, “Ten years? Ricky’s been playing at least 16, 17 years.”

5) This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

6) This one happened in Seattle. Rickey struck out and as the next batter was walking past him, he heard Henderson say, “Don’t worry, Rickey, you’re still the best.”

11) Henderson broke Ty Cobb’s career record for runs scored with a home run. After taking his usual 45 seconds or so around the bases, Rickey slid into home plate.

12) On being Nolan Ryan’s 5,000th career strikeout: “It gave me no chance. He (Ryan) just blew it by me. But it’s an honor. I’ll have another paragraph in all the baseball books. I’m already in the books three or four times.”

13) San Diego GM Kevin Towers was trying to contact Rickey at a nearby hotel. He knew Henderson always used fake names to avoid the press, fans, etc. He was trying to think like Rickey and after several attempts; he was able to get Henderson on the phone.

Rickey had checked in under Richard Pryor.

16) A reporter once asked Rickey if he talked to himself, “Do I talk to myself? No, I just remind myself of what I’m trying to do. You know, I never answer myself so how can I be talking to myself?”

18) Rickey was asked if he had the Garth Brooks album with Friends in Low Places and Henderson said, “Rickey doesn’t have albums. Rickey has CDs.”

http://www.faniq.com/blog/The-25-Best-Rickey-Henderson-Stories-Of-All-Time-Blog-15243

cawacko
01-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I loved watching Ricky playing with the A's while I was growing up. Here's a good drinking game for Ricky's Hall of Fame acceptance speech.

http://razzball.com/rickey-henderson-hall-of-fame-speechified/

Minister of Truth
01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I loved watching Ricky playing with the A's while I was growing up. Here's a good drinking game for Ricky's Hall of Fame acceptance speech.

http://razzball.com/rickey-henderson-hall-of-fame-speechified/

Is the game shots for every time he speaks of himself in the 3rd person? (I'll look at it now to see if I'm correct)

Anyway, he was an amazing base runner. Even when he was at the end of his career.

Minister of Truth
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Okay, I was part right. :cool: