PDA

View Full Version : Army developing ‘synthetic telepathy’

Cancel1
01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Army developing ‘synthetic telepathy’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. Army is developing a technology known as synthetic telepathy that would allow someone to create email or voice mail and send it by thought alone. The concept is based on reading electrical activity in the brain using an electroencephalograph, or EEG.

Vocal cords were overrated anyway. A new Army grant aims to create email or voice mail and send it by thought alone. No need to type an e-mail, dial a phone or even speak a word.

Known as synthetic telepathy, the technology is based on reading electrical activity in the brain using an electroencephalograph, or EEG. Similar technology is being marketed as a way to control video games by thought.

"I think that this will eventually become just another way of communicating," said Mike D'Zmura, from the University of California, Irvine and the lead scientist on the project.
The Army grant to researchers at University of California, Irvine, Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Maryland has two objectives. The first is to compose a message using, as D'Zmura puts it, "that little voice in your head."

The second part is to send that message to a particular individual or object (like a radio), also just with the power of thought. Once the message reaches the recipient, it could be read as text or as a voice mail.

While the money may come from the Army and its first use could be for covert operations, D'Zmura thinks that thought-based communication will find more use in the civilian realm.

"The eventual application I see is for students sitting in the back of the lecture hall not paying attention because they are texting," said D'Zmura. "Instead, students could be back there, just thinking to each other."

EEG-based gaming devices are large and fairly conspicuous, but D'Zmura thinks that eventually they could be incorporated into a baseball hat or a hood.

Another use for such a system is for patients with Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS. As the disease progresses, patients have fully functional brains but slowly lose control over their muscles. Synthetic telepathy could be a way for these patients to communicate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27162401/#storyContinued

uscitizen
01-09-2009, 07:33 PM
OHH great Telepathic spam.

Cancel1
01-09-2009, 07:44 PM
you don't believe research & science will be successful?:)

uscitizen
01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
you don't believe research & science will be successful?:)

Perhaps. But how it will be used is another matter.

the first stage will be a nural type of interface to a device.
How universal this will work out to be and how much "tuning" for individuals will be an issue I am sure.

Will we be allowed a telepathic "do not call list"?

Cancel1
01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Another use for such a system is for patients with Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS. As the disease progresses, patients have fully functional brains but slowly lose control over their muscles. Synthetic telepathy could be a way for these patients to communicate.

Modern Medicinal purposes.

uscitizen
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Modern Medicinal purposes.

Ohh yes there could be some very good uses for it.
I am just distrustful of how govts and corps use new tech. Based on empirical evidence.

Cancel1
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
ok

uscitizen
01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Especially with the army developing it.
Of course they could put it to good use for controlling artificial limbs for amputee vets if they chose.

Thorn
01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Especially with the army developing it.
Of course they could put it to good use for controlling artificial limbs for amputee vets if they chose.

I've seen these grandiose pie-in-the-sky projects before from this branch of the military. I also know the level of knowledge and understanding that would be required and will say, simply, that it's not going to happen. Ever.

charver
01-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Are these the same chaps who spent 20 years trying to get goats to explode by staring at goats, while thinking about goats exploding?

Damocles
01-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Are these the same chaps who spent 20 years trying to get goats to explode by staring at goats, while thinking about goats exploding?
How many goats exploded?

charver
01-10-2009, 08:55 AM
How many goats exploded?

I think that's probably classified information but, should NATO ever go to war with the Empire of the Goat, suffice to say we will have a significant advantage.